Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Now is it the right time to consider a coaching change?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Now is it the right time to consider a coaching change?

If JOB gives Darren limited time and Ford even gets time, I'm sure Bird will fire him.

I'm gotten myself really curious where O'Brien's salary ranks. Unfortunately, I can't find a complete list of NBA coaching salaries.

Here's the top 10 (from electro-mech.com):
    NBA basketball coaches salaries:

Phil Jackson. Los Angeles Lakers. Zen Master strikes gold for the purple and gold with $10.3 million a year that is reportedly set to increase to $12.5M soon.

Larry Brown. Charlotte Bobcats. $7 million. Charlotte? Really? This does not include the $18 million he was paid to stop coaching the Knicks.

Don Nelson. Golden State Warriors. $6 million for his second trip with the Warriors. Does not even include the money he gets from Mavericks.

Mike DíAntoni. New York Knicks. $6 million. It pays to miss the playoffs but everyone looks good after they follow Isiah and Larry.

Byron Scott. Tie. New Orleans Hornets. $5.5 million. Scott got a raise after his 2008 performance and the breakout year for Chris Paul.

Doc Rivers. Tie. Boston Celtics. $5.5 million. Doc compiled a losing record for the first 9 years of coaching. Add KG, Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen and he wins a title. Great coaching.

http://www.electro-mech.com/team-spo...hest-salaries/
    Inside Hoops says:
    April 5, 2010: The average NBA coach salary is estimated to be $3.4 million, down 10 percent in the last two years, according to the Newark Star-Ledger
    So where does O'Brien slot in???
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm gotten myself really curious where O'Brien's salary ranks. Unfortunately, I can't find a complete list of NBA coaching salaries.

Here's the top 10 (from electro-mech.com):

Inside Hoops says:

So where does O'Brien slot in???
    He'll make $3mm this year, per Wells.

Its pretty clear Bird isn't building this team with O'Brien in mind. If he was we would still have Murphy, who I think is a near perfect fit for O'Brien's offence.

Its my understanding that Bird hired O'Brien because he was a no nonsence coach. He got his players to work hard, instilled in them a sence of team.

With the roster turn over we've had the past three seasons, for the most part I think O'Brien has done pretty much what Bird has wanted him to do. Teach these guys to play hard & play together.

Bird has mentioned this off season that the time had come to start adding some vets to help move the team along. Players that our current players might respect & listen to. Posey is most likely the first but not the last of the additions by Bird to get guys in the locker room to take this team another step forward.

Other than a draft pick next season this team is about as young as its going to get for a long time. One more season of O'Brien teaching George, Stephenson, Rolle & Collison is about all he will be good for. Since over the course of this summer, next season & next off season we should be trading for or signing seasoned veterans.

What Bird & Morway need to do is start looking for coaches that can come in & install a system that maximizes the talents of the players Bird has assembled.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jose Slaughter For This Useful Post:

That list just makes me wish we had Byron Scott as a coach

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here's a thought: Kevin McHale. One of Bird's old cronies in Boston, the players respect him, and he actually did a halfway decent job when he was just coaching the team in Minnesota. Yeah, he was a crappy GM but I think he's a good coach. A year from now...who knows? He might be ready to get back into the league.

Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge24 View Post
    It's always the right time for a coaching change when JOB is the coach.
    you took the words right out of my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    If we have a "very good" season, why wouldn't want to extend him?

Isn't that a bit like saying you hope that Dunleavy doesn't have a good year so that we don't resign him?

If he's good, he's good. And we keep him.

Lets compare Jimmy to a player who hasn't been much as a player, and then in his contract year he has an outstanding year only to revert back to his old form with a new contract in hand. I'm not interested in taking the chance by rewarding a winning season after having seen 3 years of 36, 36, and 32 win seasons. A 104-142 record just can't be overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwalt72 View Post

It's too late in the year already for a coaching change. I'd rather wait and see how the season shakes out, who gets let go....we might have a great fit fall right into our laps.

I agree, not a lot choose from at the present time. I was really interested in Monty Williams a replacement for Jimmy.

I don't see a change unless the team starts out extremely poorly... in epic disastrous proportion. Reasons are the following:

#1 Jimmy has a godfather in Bird
    #2 Simon isn't going to pay 2 coaches salary this year
    #3 Pacers don't have a good quality ast coach to turn to in crisis time
    #4 unlike James Dolan with Zeke, Herb Simon isn't going to force Bird to coach what he put together.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    Hahahaaaaaa

I know JOB is the subject of a lot of ridicule on this board but would also like to get some nice discussion with regards to this.
    That won't happen. As other threads have proven, most have given up on JOB. Many have said that even if he wins 62 games this year, they still want him out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    Its pretty clear Bird isn't building this team with O'Brien in mind. If he was we would still have Murphy, who I think is a near perfect fit for O'Brien's offence.

Its my understanding that Bird hired O'Brien because he was a no nonsence coach. He got his players to work hard, instilled in them a sence of team.

With the roster turn over we've had the past three seasons, for the most part I think O'Brien has done pretty much what Bird has wanted him to do. Teach these guys to play hard & play together.

Bird has mentioned this off season that the time had come to start adding some vets to help move the team along. Players that our current players might respect & listen to. Posey is most likely the first but not the last of the additions by Bird to get guys in the locker room to take this team another step forward.

Other than a draft pick next season this team is about as young as its going to get for a long time. One more season of O'Brien teaching George, Stephenson, Rolle & Collison is about all he will be good for. Since over the course of this summer, next season & next off season we should be trading for or signing seasoned veterans.

What Bird & Morway need to do is start looking for coaches that can come in & install a system that maximizes the talents of the players Bird has assembled.

Bird has vet players in Foster, Dun, Ford, Dahntay, and now Posey. I realize that any and all could be traded, but that's 1/3 of the roster. Then maybe these vets aren't the mentors Bird feels he needs for the youth.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    That won't happen. As other threads have proven, most have given up on JOB. Many have said that even if he wins 62 games this year, they still want him out.
    i think if you read some of the posts he's gotten a pretty fair shake by our members???

how do you feel about the question?
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

I don't think now is the right time for a coaching change. I'm curuious to see what Jimmy does with this team.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post

Here's a thought: Kevin McHale. One of Bird's old cronies in Boston

It's a terrible thought. Bird has already hired 2 former Celtic connections as coaches. I'm not interested in the Pacers being Celtics lite. I don't want a new coach that has ever been associated with the Celtics. 3 in a row has been enough, time for a change.

Its not happening, yet. Possibly next summer though. Bird has been very firm that JOB is returning next season. I dont see him letting him go now. If we dont make the playoffs this season, I can see JOB getting the boot, because of another failed season
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Jim's a below-average coach, but not the worst in the league. He gets a lot of harsh words here because he's the coach of our team. There are plenty of other coaches we would complain about too.

But since he's below average, its always a good time to think about replacing him. Problem is, the guys we'd want (Byron, Frank, etc.) have jobs for next season. Except JVG.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Since I don't believe that JOB only wants players to chuck three pointers and also don't believe that he only gives lip service to defense, and since I don't believe it is possible to "ruin" a professional basketball player in a single year, and since I feel he really hasn't had anything approaching a "ready" team in the time he's been here, and since I see the late-season burst as an indication he really had not lost the team, I must be stupid I don't think he should be fired before the season starts unless a fantastic coach becomes available.

That said, I don't think he's the right coach going forward.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post

Why would we not want to keep Obie if he leads us to a very good season? Won't that prove that, essentially, he is a very good coach when given the appropriate talent?

Would it truly prove he's a good coach or he just has better players with the ability to make the team better?

If you put Jimmy coaching the Lakers and they continue to win, but not as well as they do with Jackson, does that make Jimmy a good coach or he has good players?

You are good when you achieve on a regular basis, and not once every so often. I'm not willing to gamble giving Jimmy a new contract on having 1 good year out of 4. Why do you expect someone who is absolutely convinced their system works to ever change? In Jimmy's case, I just don't see the light bulb coming on in regards to his system not working.

To answer the question on a purely practicial basis. The pacers roster isn't ready for a top of the line type coach. if we want to bring in a JVG, Mike Brown a top coach, the pacers won't be able to get those type of coaches right now. A year from now, they very well might be able to get a JVG. So next summer is the right time.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 08-13-2010 at 10:54 AM.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    3 games into his first season with Indiana was the right time to consider a coaching change.
    His first 3 games with Indiana was all wins. They were 3-0 to start the season.

I have been wanting to get rid of OB for over a year now, but that last game against Washington when he benched Roy the last 4 minutes of the game when he was dominating and keeping the Pacers ahead, was the icing on the cake for me... I definitely wish they would fire him NOW...