Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why James Posey deserves to be cheered and loved by basketball fans

Default Why James Posey deserves to be cheered and loved by basketball fans

I said in some other thread I really like James Posey and I thought about expanding on why and in the process try to explain what Posey can - or could - bring to a NBA team. I like almost all NBA players, but I especially like a few and Posey is among those. Not the same way Shaq, Duncan or Garnett are, because he isn't an once in a generation talent; not because I especially like Posey type of players, hard-nosed glue guys - don't care that much for, say, Ryan Bowen; not because he was an instrumental player in the Heat and the Celtics last championships (and none of those teams would have won it all without him).

I especially like Posey because of how talented and passionate he is in executing the basketball skills he possesses and how he developed those skills. When he entered the league he was a confused player - he tried to be a shot-maker, taking off-balance shots and what not, playing inconsistent defense. But he turned around his game - consuming that evolution in Miami under Pat Riley but he was already becoming that player - and became the big wing with plus rebounding, the versatile and physical defender, the big time shooter, the smart and timely cutter, the bruising enforcer (and, sometimes, the awfully dirty player). He was offered the vision of what the best player he could become would look like and achieved it - that's admirable and not so common.

That said, what's really great about Posey are the proverbial and so often illusional intangibles. The ability to respond well to pressure situations, the insane work rate, the ability to play hard, the genuine ties he develops with his teammates, his leadership, that we gotta win mentality, the pre-game hugs, the smart plays. In my view, Posey embodies all those things that are such a big part of basketball.

The legendary Celtics writer Steve Weinman wrote an eulogy to Posey when he left the Celtics 2 seasons ago. He describes Posey and his game much better than I ever could. It's a somewhat emotional text but, for once, I think this tone is the more apt to describe a player like James Posey and that this text captures Posey's essence very well:

Goodbye, Big Game
    by Steve Weinman

James,

Through no fault of your own, this letter is being written far too soon.

You signed yesterday with the New Orleans Hornets, which by definition means that you will no longer be a Boston Celtic from here on out. It was a contract and security you earned through your hard-nosed play both for our beloved Celtics and at several other stops throughout your career. You did the green a favor by coming at a bargain price a summer ago, and there is certainly no grudge to bear against you on this end. As you said so accurately, no matter what both you and the Celtics would have liked, there were business factors to be addressed on both sides, and both acted as they saw best fit. No love lost on either side.

But your signing in N'Awlins does mean that after just one short year, the time has come to say goodbye.

It took only a short time for you to win the hearts of the Celtics faithful across the globe.

Less than a month into the season, The Guru was already enamored with -- of all things -- your deceptive quickness to the basket, as demonstrated by two beautiful cuts for give-and-go lay-ups in a late November game in Miami. Shortly thereafter, he and the rest of the lovers of the green came to realize that your ability to get to the basket every now and then was just a small part of the wonderful contribution you would make to this beloved championship team.

Over the course of this year, you came to be one more embodiment (on a team that featured many) of not only what this squad was all about but also about what it means to play Celtics basketball: Selflessness. Defense. Blood, sweat, tears and guts-out basketball. Hustle. Heart. Toughness. Clutch play. Poise. Ubuntu. Winning.

You set the tone every game with the coolest and longest-lasting hugs of all time for each of the starters.

You impressed us all season long with your throwback version of physical defense. The way you ragged opponents to the point of seemingly getting inside the jerseys of top scorers around the league was a sight to behold. The frustration on the faces of those scorers that brought so much glee to our evenings was largely due to your efforts on many occasions.

You helped enhance this team's swagger with your refusal to back down from anyone.

You showed us time and time again the meaning of having ice in one's veins. Whether it was in that relaxed, kind-of-off-one-foot three-point stroke of yours (the one that drained four huh-yuge treys in the memorable Game 4 comeback in Los Angeles) or the way you would stroll to the foul line with all the confidence imaginable in the final seconds of playoff games (closing out Game 1 against the Cavs comes to mind in particular), you never seemed to get rattled on the court. Watching you play this year was a lesson in calmness and composure, and that was only more evident during the biggest of moments.

But the most charming part of your game was the way it was always crystal clear that, for all your seemingly laid-back coolness on the court, you were in it to win it.
    You pursued loose balls with a vengeance and force of will rarely seen in this game today. So often, your actions made it apparent that you wanted it more than the other guy, that no matter what risk you incurred to your body by diving and leaping in all manner of spots from any variety of angles, you were here to do everything in your power for the name on the front of the jersey without worrying about the glory or the spotlight or the stats for the name on the back. In a world where it often seems that we fans care more than the players we root for do, you were one more player on a team full of them who made sure this wasn't the case with the 2007-08 Boston Celtics. When I wrote that you struck me as the type of guy who would kill his own mother for a loose ball, it wasn't meant to be as crude as it sounds. It was meant as the highest compliment I could think to give you for the effort and desire you put in every single time out for this team so many of us love so much.

In just one short year, you won not only my heart but those of an enormous group of members of the green faithful around the globe.

Just because it's time for you to go won't cost you that. You'll always have a special place in our thoughts and recollections of a truly memorable team.

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I wish you all the best in New Orleans, James. Well, almost all the best. Here's hoping you help the Hornets to the Western Conference Finals next year and no further -- because I really don't like thinking about the idea of you being on the other side should the green make a return trip to the NBA Finals.

Thanks for doing your part to make this such a special year for Celtics fans everywhere.

Goodbye, Big Game James. You will be missed
    ----

This deal is for the Pacers is about Collison. Taking Posey, now an overpaid reserve, is the price to pay - and a very small one. But assuming Posey stays in Indiana for awhile, and if he's happy and motivated there, I wouldn't underestimate the positive effects of his presence, because lots of that stuff doesn't depend on physical ability. Maybe not hitting 3s that turn playoff series around or shutting down MVPs in the Finals, maybe not with his on-court production. But he can be that role-model that some young players may need, the guy who dares them to step up, to play every second with their head on the game, to bring out the best they have inside them as basketball players and competitors, to have that fire to be really great in what they do, no matter how limited their skill-set is. Anyway, regardless of how the rest of his career goes, I'm sure many fans will always remember Posey as a superb player that brought more enjoyment to the game than 90% of the All-Stars.

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Why James Posey deserves to be cheered and loved by basketball fans

Im starting to think this may be our starting lineup going in

Collison
    Rush
    Granger
    Posey
    Hibbert

I really think this lineup could work, with Lance Geore Price and Hans first off the bench. This lineup could get us above .500 easy in my book.

Posey has always been a class act all the way. I would love for him to stick around if at all possible.

We have a young team, and someone with the character he has could be invaluable to the growth of the youngsters.

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

That said, what's really great about Posey are the proverbial and so often illusional intangibles. The ability to respond well to pressure situations, the insane work rate, the ability to play hard, the genuine ties he develops with his teammates, his leadership, that we gotta win mentality, the pre-game hugs, the smart plays. In my view, Posey embodies all those things that are such a big part of basketball.
    So......

He's Indiana basketball.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozwalt72 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge24 View Post
    Posey has always been a class act all the way. I would love for him to stick around if at all possible.

We have a young team, and someone with the character he has could be invaluable to the growth of the youngsters.
    Always been a class act? Lol ok

Sincerely,

Kirk Hinrich

I have to say, when he was in his prime, he was one of my favorite defensive players in the league. I always like the non stat guys, the guys most fans don't appreciate because their numbers, mostly suck. The Battiers of the league, guys who are 100% selfless and not afraid to do the dirty work, not concerned about stats.

I wish they had him 5 years ago.

I think though if he never plays a minute and he still applies himself and is engaged that he could have a HUGE impact without ever getting on the court.

He has the ability to bring so much of what is missing from this team like leadership, enthusiasm.

Are Posey and Collison close, does anyone know?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Celtics fans all seem to have extremely fond memories of Posey. I am not expecting a whole lot out of him, so anything he gives us is a positive in my book.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Surprisingly, Bird seemed somewhat evasive and almost irritated when questioned about Posey and his current / future status with the Pacers. When listening to the presser, it seemed to me that it is unlikely that he will ever be in a Pacer uniform despite being a vet presence who could prove useful as a mentor for youth and who apparently plays the O'B way with a little of Dahntay thrown in.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201.../usa.notebook/

About that four-team trade ...
    James Posey's agent, Mark Bartelstein, told SI.com that the veteran swingman will not seek a buyout from Indiana. Posey and point guard Darren Collison were acquired by the Pacers in a four-team trade on Wednesday. While Indiana has a pressing need for Collison, it would appear to have little need for the 33-year-old Posey, who has two years and more than $13 million remaining on his contract. The Pacers used their lottery pick to draft Paul George in June and already have wings Danny Granger, Mike Dunleavy, Dahntay Jones and Brandon Rush on their roster.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    Surprisingly, Bird seemed somewhat evasive and almost irritated when questioned about Posey and his current / future status with the Pacers. When listening to the presser, it seemed to me that it is unlikely that he will ever be in a Pacer uniform despite being a vet presence who could prove useful as a mentor for youth and who apparently plays the O'B way with a little of Dahntay thrown in.
    I read Bird saying that Posey would help DANNY with his professionalism and experience.
    Didn't sound at all like what you are saying.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

...I could find an article of Tinsley from his rookie year and you would think he's great too...

That article is what 3 years old? I love Posey as a veteran - class act, hard working, has championship experience. As a player though, he is done. Ask Hornets fans how much he meant to their team, you won't hear good answers. I welcome a player like Posey to Indiana, but lets not act like he's the same player he was with the Celtics - he isn't.

I love James Posey and I'm glad he's on our team. I really hope we keep him and find a way to carve out some minutes for him IF he can produce.

He is such a physical defender...between him, Tyler, and Dahntay we are so much more physical on defense than we were a year ago. And yes, he'll play dirty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y72gBvGSFuk

http://www.youtube.com/v/zMp-FY72_ng
    Last edited by imawhat; 08-12-2010 at 09:49 PM.

I like Posey and hope we keep him around. Even though our roster is rapidly improving, there is still a major leadership void on the team. Posey could go along way toward lessening that void.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Welcome to Hoosier town James!

I don't see it, he is over the hill now. Maybe a younger Posey in his 20s is a guy to be excited about, but he is 33 years old and not the defender he once was. I don't want him getting any minutes over our younger guys.

Posey is awesome when he can see a ring at the end of the tunnel. He's a total dog when he doesn't.

There's a reason New Orleans wanted to get rid of him. He doesn't play hard unless he's got a chance to add to his ring collection. He played well for about 10 minutes in NO until it was clear they weren't going anywhere, then he put it into operation shut-down.

While I love the Collison trade, you're deluding yourself a bit if you think Posey is going to be a positive influence.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-13-2010 at 07:03 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Who remembers the difference that an older, slower Byron Scott made for the Pacers in the mid-90s?

The Pacers had the talent then, but were floundering about how to "get to the next level." Scott made a difference, and he did it during practices and in the locker room.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    Who remembers the difference that an older, slower Byron Scott made for the Pacers in the mid-90s?

The Pacers had the talent then, but were floundering about how to "get to the next level." Scott made a difference, and he did it during practices and in the locker room.
    Let's not confuse the two here. Byron brought an incredible work ethic. He had been brought up in the NBA with Magic, Kareem, James Worthy and the like. He was the perfect vet for that team at that time. I doubt Posey has the same intangibles that made Byron so great, but hell, I hope he proves me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    Byron brought an incredible work ethic. I doubt Posey has the same intangibles that made Byron so great, but I hope he proves me wrong.

Yeah. I don't know, either. I'm just saying there's value in the veteran locker room presence. And all we've got aside from Posey is Jeff Foster (who is a good guy but I fear is destined to stay injured.)
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    I read Bird saying that Posey would help DANNY with his professionalism and experience.
    Maybe he can teach BRush and George a thing or two as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Posey is awesome when he can see a ring at the end of the tunnel. He's a total dog when he doesn't.

There's a reason New Orleans wanted to get rid of him. He doesn't play hard unless he's got a chance to add to his ring collection. He played well for about 10 minutes in NO until it was clear they weren't going anywhere, then he put it into operation shut-down.

While I love the Collison trade, you're deluding yourself a bit if you think Posey is going to be a positive influence.
    Kstat, you live in Charlotte? I've lived the last 18 years in Charlotte and just moved to Wilmington like a month and a half ago.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    Im starting to think this may be our starting lineup going in

Collison
    Rush
    Granger
    Posey
    Hibbert

I really think this lineup could work, with Lance Geore Price and Hans first off the bench. This lineup could get us above .500 easy in my book.
    I tend to agree with you here. Knowing Obie's history of playing veterans before younger players, i could definitely see him putting Posey in the starting lineup. And I wouldnt mind it, because Posey can play some defense. Like i said last year with DJones, hopefully we can get some defensive intensity, where other teams are scared of us a bit. DJones didnt come through with it like i thought he would, but maybe he and Posey can play off of each others intensity. Someone else mentioned something about Byron Scott when he came here and his attitude he brought with him. I agree with this assessment too. I think the same could be said about the commonality of Ron Artest when he came here.

This is why I am excited again, and other fans are too. I always said Troy's double doubles were false positives, because of his horrid defense.

Go Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    Always been a class act? Lol ok

Sincerely,

Kirk Hinrich
    I don't mind much that kind of foul - shoulder to shoulder with players on the floor: they're spectacular but not really dangerous. There's far worse things - tripping or pushing guy who are airbone, for example and Posey has all of them on his ticket. Youthful indiscretions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    ...I could find an article of Tinsley from his rookie year and you would think he's great too...

That article is what 3 years old? I love Posey as a veteran - class act, hard working, has championship experience. As a player though, he is done. Ask Hornets fans how much he meant to their team, you won't hear good answers. I welcome a player like Posey to Indiana, but lets not act like he's the same player he was with the Celtics - he isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    I don't see it, he is over the hill now. Maybe a younger Posey in his 20s is a guy to be excited about, but he is 33 years old and not the defender he once was. I don't want him getting any minutes over our younger guys.
    I agree. That's why I said he's now an overpaid reserve. If he was the same player he was 3 years ago (and his individual defense vs. wings was already declining there), he'd be a terrific 6th man with a good contract - but in that case, this trade wouldn't have happened.

The real question on everyone's mind is this: with James Posey on the Pacers, can we expect Cordobes to contribute more to PD?

28. The Following User Says Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post: