Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Peck's Odd Thoughts on the Front Page are great and all...

  1. #1
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,942

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Peck's Odd Thoughts on the Front Page are great and all...

    ....but I miss the dancing fruit....

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  2. #2
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,628

    Default Re: Peck's Odd Thoughts on the Front Page are great and all...

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ....but I miss the dancing fruit....
    Yea, this was my first time of posting them out there. I'm still trying to figure out how everything works.

    As I told Duke yesterday this didn't deserve a one banana dance, this deserved an entire fruit cocktail.

    So here goes.



    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  3. #3
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,414

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Peck's Odd Thoughts on the Front Page are great and all...

    ...use the expiring players as the high end trade assets that they are.
    This quote kind of struck me in the article. I don't think it's true. Troy Murphy was not traded as an expiring contract. New Jersey traded for the player, not the expiring deal. They didn't need the salary relief, and it was not a salary dump deal. They made the trade to get better.

  4. #4
    Remember #31 dohman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,333

    Default Re: Peck's Odd Thoughts on the Front Page are great and all...

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This quote kind of struck me in the article. I don't think it's true. Troy Murphy was not traded as an expiring contract. New Jersey traded for the player, not the expiring deal. They didn't need the salary relief, and it was not a salary dump deal. They made the trade to get better.
    Dont they understand this completely kills any chance they ever have of getting to the playoffs with him on the roster

  5. #5
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,628

    Default Re: Peck's Odd Thoughts on the Front Page are great and all...

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This quote kind of struck me in the article. I don't think it's true. Troy Murphy was not traded as an expiring contract. New Jersey traded for the player, not the expiring deal. They didn't need the salary relief, and it was not a salary dump deal. They made the trade to get better.
    I see your point and I don't disagree with you. However I do think Troy's ending salary did play a part in that. Essentially they have a one year rental to play the 4 thus allowing them to bring Favors in off of the bench and learn the position slowly.

    I know neither of us can prove this but my gut feeling is that they never would have made this deal if Troy had 3 years left on his deal. I don't believe they see Troy as any long term answer, although they may re-sign him at a much cheaper rate and keep him as a role player for the future.

    So what I'm saying is I think we are both right, to an extint. I do think you are correct in assuming that N.J. did not take on Troy just for his expiring status but I think I am correct in assuming that his expiring contract was desirable for them to take on.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  7. #6
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,083

    Default Re: Peck's Odd Thoughts on the Front Page are great and all...

    I'm not sure about this idea of posting Odd Thoughts on the front page. I don't ever go to the front page, and when I did, I couldn't make comments.

    Just doesn't seem to make sense.

    Good thoughts, though, Peck.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  9. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,604

    Default Re: Peck's Odd Thoughts on the Front Page are great and all...

    I keep on hoping that when an article is made on the front page a discussion post with a link to the article gets auto-posted here.

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozwalt72 For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    International Counter bellisimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,110

    Default Re: Peck's Odd Thoughts on the Front Page are great and all...

    I agree wtih McKey and Oz - feels like the board is losing discussion materials when you can't comment on the "articles"

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to bellisimo For This Useful Post:


  13. #9
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Peck's Odd Thoughts on the Front Page are great and all...

    The idea was that someone would post about it like they would if it were an article from another website, but apparently no one's going to do that regularly (which honestly surprises me).

    I'll see if I can get something to do it automatically.

    If not, then I can turn on comments.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  15. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Peck's Odd Thoughts on the Front Page are great and all...

    Agreed with others.

    This is the danger with using a front page on forums.

    I have seen it work with "comments" which lead to a subforum where the article has been posted, but the reason I came here was for the forum conversation. If I just wanted to read an article I would go to ESPN

    (no offense to Peck or anyone else)

    Maybe I am just not used to looking at the main page, but I would have missed his post had this thread not been here (and maybe that is our fault for not posting it as a thread, guess time will tell if that system works)

  16. #11
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,414

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Peck's Odd Thoughts on the Front Page are great and all...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see your point and I don't disagree with you. However I do think Troy's ending salary did play a part in that. Essentially they have a one year rental to play the 4 thus allowing them to bring Favors in off of the bench and learn the position slowly.

    I know neither of us can prove this but my gut feeling is that they never would have made this deal if Troy had 3 years left on his deal. I don't believe they see Troy as any long term answer, although they may re-sign him at a much cheaper rate and keep him as a role player for the future.

    So what I'm saying is I think we are both right, to an extint. I do think you are correct in assuming that N.J. did not take on Troy just for his expiring status but I think I am correct in assuming that his expiring contract was desirable for them to take on.
    Agreed 100%.

  17. #12
    International Counter bellisimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,110

    Default Re: Peck's Odd Thoughts on the Front Page are great and all...

    why not have the author of the "article" post the link to his latest installment in the forum, like one would of any other article?

  18. #13
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: Peck's Odd Thoughts on the Front Page are great and all...

    Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    why not have the author of the "article" post the link to his latest installment in the forum, like one would of any other article?
    Or is there a way to do a RoboHicks (or RoboStanko, whatever) RSS type thing - so people can still be directed to the Front Page to read the full piece but automatically have a place within the forum to comment?

  19. #14
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Peck's Odd Thoughts on the Front Page are great and all...

    Well, RoboHicks is now on the job.

  20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  21. #15
    Member pacers74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Plainfield
    Posts
    2,289

    Default Re: Peck's Odd Thoughts on the Front Page are great and all...

    Please stop putting Robohicks on the pacers board. It is making the board too hard to read, please stop this.

  22. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,604

    Default Re: Peck's Odd Thoughts on the Front Page are great and all...

    Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Please stop putting Robohicks on the pacers board. It is making the board too hard to read, please stop this.
    Thank you for the effort you put in to reviewing the newest addition that has been active for, like, 20 minutes.

  23. #17
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,396

    Default Re: Peck's Odd Thoughts on the Front Page are great and all...

    At least he said please twice, right? I mean, that's gotta count for something.

    I like the RoboHicks idea. Good solution!

  24. #18

    Default Re: Peck's Odd Thoughts on the Front Page are great and all...

    Nice job, Beck! Err I mean Peck! I heard you on 1070 this afternoon.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Smoothdave1 For This Useful Post:


  26. #19
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Peck's Odd Thoughts on the Front Page are great and all...

    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I heard you on 1070 this afternoon.
    What did he say?

  27. #20

    Default Re: Peck's Odd Thoughts on the Front Page are great and all...

    He was talking about how everyone at PD is excited about the trade and how this has helped re-energize the fans. Discussed how happy we were to not have to take Okafor's contract and how we need a 4. He mentioned Milsap, Admundson and Landry as possibilities. JMV said he felt that Josh could be our energy guy with better offense than Admunson.

    JMV announced him initially as Beck when he called in and Peck corrected him. But JMV called him Beck a few more times.

  28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smoothdave1 For This Useful Post:


  29. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Peck's Odd Thoughts on the Front Page are great and all...

    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He was talking about how everyone at PD is excited about the trade and how this has helped re-energize the fans. Discussed how happy we were to not have to take Okafor's contract and how we need a 4. He mentioned Milsap, Admundson and Landry as possibilities. JMV said he felt that Josh could be our energy guy with better offense than Admunson.

    JMV announced him initially as Beck when he called in and Peck corrected him. But JMV called him Beck a few more times.
    Yeah I was asking to myself who the hell is this guy beck?

  30. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Age
    70
    Posts
    49

    Default Re: Peck's Odd Thoughts on the Front Page are great and all...

    How disengenuous can you be Peck? You spend half of your post bashing Troy and Obie and then throw in the let us not spoil the joys of the trade comment by further bashing Troy and Obie. Troy is gone! There is zero need to continue with the trashing of Troy.

  31. #23
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Peck's Odd Thoughts on the Front Page are great and all...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yea, this was my first time of posting them out there. I'm still trying to figure out how everything works.

    As I told Duke yesterday this didn't deserve a one banana dance, this deserved an entire fruit cocktail.

    So here goes.


  32. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,746

    Default Re: Peck's Odd Thoughts on the Front Page are great and all...

    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nice job, Beck! Err I mean Peck! I heard you on 1070 this afternoon.
    I heard that as well. Got a good laugh out of it when Peck corrected JMV
    and yet JMV continued to call him Beck. Maybe he needs a new headset?

    I'm just glad it didn't turn into a Jim Rome vs. Jim Everett situation. (Although I doubt either Peck or JMV are guys who would let that happen)

    For those who did not hear it, Man, was Peck ever EXCITED! I kept wondering when he was going to stop long enough to breathe.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •