Thread: Our young guys

Default Our young guys

Collison, Price, Stephenson, Rush, George, Granger, Hibbert, Hans, McRoberts, and possibly Magnum.

Not bad to build on.

Collison and Price - I'm not as huge on Collison as some of you (although some of you aren't as huge on Price as I am) But I think we can all agree, that the PG position is more than likely in good hands, between the two of them. As I posted before, if they are equally good, we trade one. If one's clearly better than the other, one's the backup and one's the starter. Pretty simple. Our offense can now be completely geared to PnRs, and also we have a fast paced/half court option here. Collison clearly prefers the up and down game. Price, although he can play both well, actually prefers the half court game, which I know we didn't see much...Anyway, I think the PG answer is in there.

Stephenson/Rush/George - more than likely a SG of the future there, with some solid versitile players. George and Rush can slide over to the three easily.

Granger as our SF

McBob and Hans - we'll probably need a better PF, but both of these players can be roll players.

Hibbert and Rolle- Center and possible backup.

More importantly, I want to see these guys play together this season.

A lineup of Collison, Rush, George, Granger, Hibbert would probably work out really well. I think Collison having shooters and a good big man in the game would be what he needs to be successful.

I'm interested in seeing Price and Stephenson playing next to each other. That could be a fun option off the bench. Starting a defensive minded backcourt with Collison and Rush, and then bringing in Price and Stephenson to shoot the offense in the arm.

I also wanna see Danny with these young guys. I'd love to see more of the Price/Rush/Hibbert group, that seemed to have a ton of chemistry last season.

Lots of options here, a lot of potential. Good Job Larry

Default Re: Our young guys

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I also wanna see Danny with these young guys. I'd love to see more of the Price/Rush/Hibbert group, that seemed to have a ton of chemistry last season.
    Add George and McRoberts and we have a well-oiled machine . Seriously though, I think that combination will just click, big time.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Lots of options here, a lot of potential. Good Job Larry
    i gotta agree. Bird made a fantastic move today to land a young pg with very good potential. were a very young team, and thirty plus million in expirings.

im happy for Larry Bird, he has recieved quite a bit of heat, hopefully he is placed in higher esteem by pacer fans after the offseason we have had, in addition to the next offseason as well.

i bet Granger is very happy with this deal, along with Hibbert. looking forward to seeing how this teams chemistry develops.

im thinking were 3-4 seasons away still with the Miami Dream team, but at least we have something to build on now, a direction this team is moving in.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The thing I love is that these are all very skilled young guys. There isn't any huge projects there, besides maybe Paul George. All three rookies showed very impressive multifaceted games in the summer league I thought. They just need NBA bodies and conditioning, along with some experience. McRoberts and Hibbert both have great passing ability for big guys along with other valuable skills as well. Collison showed a lot last year as a rookie. He practically carried them to a near .500 record without Chris Paul in the west which is very impressive for a rookie. I think he is much better than Price myself. But I liked what I saw of Price last year also, and I think he could be a great back-up for Collison. They seem to complement each other pretty well. Hansbrough is Hansbrough, and every team could use a Hansbrough. And Brandon Rush has all the ability in the world and is already a good player, the only question with him is how good will he be.

There is a lot of athleticism in that group too. The Pacers suddenly have the 10 young guys to form that young nucleus they have been talking about. And all the sudden the whole picture has been flipped. They have financial breathing room all the sudden, all their draft picks and and a good mix of deadline trade ammo/cap space and young pieces to go after anyone that comes available. I love our situation for the first time in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    i gotta agree. Bird made a fantastic move today to land a young pg with very good potential. were a very young team, and thirty plus million in expirings.

im happy for Larry Bird, he has recieved quite a bit of heat, hopefully he is placed in higher esteem by pacer fans after the offseason we have had, in addition to the next offseason as well.

i bet Granger is very happy with this deal, along with Hibbert. looking forward to seeing how this teams chemistry develops.

im thinking were 3-4 seasons away still with the Miami Dream team, but at least we have something to build on now, a direction this team is moving in.
    I am happy for Bird as well. People around here just want something to get excited about. That's hard to do when you are stuck in a financial mess like the Pacers have been, people know that. But the team is finally turning the corner and Larry will definitely be treated differently now. I seriously doubt any of the criticism bothers him, he has some pretty thick skin. Indiana is actually pretty soft on the local sports figures compared to most towns anyways.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 08-12-2010 at 02:06 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Taterhead For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    The thing I love is that these are all very skilled young guys. There isn't any huge projects there, besides maybe Paul George. All three rookies showed very impressive multifaceted games in the summer league I thought. They just need NBA bodies and conditioning, along with some experience.
    I don't see how Stephenson can be considered anything other than a project. Does he have some NBA ready ability? Yes. But here are the facts: He's a 19 year old rookie coming off a somewhat disappointing freshman year in college that has a fairly "raw" body. He isn't the athletic phenom that John Wall is. He'll need at least a year to refine his body and his skills. At least. That's not to say he can't get minutes this year and be effective.

Here is everyone on the team age 25 or younger:

Rush (25)
    Hansbrough (24)
    Hibbert (24)
    Price (23)
    McRoberts (23)
    Collison (22)
    George (20)
    Stephenson (19)

Rolle (24) * Unsigned at the moment

Probably about 3 of these players have birthdays before the season starts...but shhh don't tell.

Three years from now, Stephenson and George will both be about 23 years old, the age of many rookies. How their game grows between now and then will be a big part of our future. The other players I'd argue are in more of a Present Term territory. As in they have to get out and do it today.

So THIS YEAR we have 5/6 young players that probably need to produce today, and 2/3 young players we can afford to be more patient with.

Some of these guys will be moved out in deals over the next year or two and/or be possibly replaced by 2 more draft picks each year.

This is truly a youth movement in Indiana people. When was the last year we saw so many youngsters on the team?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ozwalt72 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwalt72 View Post
    I don't see how Stephenson can be considered anything other than a project. Does he have some NBA ready ability? Yes. But here are the facts: He's a 19 year old rookie coming off a somewhat disappointing freshman year in college that has a fairly "raw" body. He isn't the athletic phenom that John Wall is. He'll need at least a year to refine his body and his skills. At least. That's not to say he can't get minutes this year and be effective.

Here is everyone on the team age 25 or younger:

Rush (25)
    Hansbrough (24)
    Hibbert (24)
    Price (23)
    McRoberts (23)
    Collison (22)
    George (20)
    Stephenson (19)

Rolle (24) * Unsigned at the moment

Probably about 3 of these players have birthdays before the season starts...but shhh don't tell.

Three years from now, Stephenson and George will both be about 23 years old, the age of many rookies. How their game grows between now and then will be a big part of our future. The other players I'd argue are in more of a Present Term territory. As in they have to get out and do it today.

So THIS YEAR we have 5/6 young players that probably need to produce today, and 2/3 young players we can afford to be more patient with.

Some of these guys will be moved out in deals over the next year or two and/or be possibly replaced by 2 more draft picks each year.

This is truly a youth movement in Indiana people. When was the last year we saw so many youngsters on the team?
    I just said I don't think he is a huge project. I think he clearly has the body, athleticism and basketball talent to be a pretty good NBA player. It's about the mental side with him. People have made him a bigger project by moving him to PG. But I feel like at worst you got a pretty talented 2 guard there who will contribute to this team, whether he's a star or just a spark plug off the bench.

And your second point is a good reason why I said that. Those guys who are gonna take a few years, have the time. They have more ready guys in front of them. Collison, Rush, Jones, Dunleavy and Granger will be in front of George and Stephenson and you got Hansbrough, Foster, Hibbert, Jones and McRoberts ahead of Magnum. It just seems like a great situation for them and the team.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 08-12-2010 at 02:39 AM.

Whats this mean for stephenson? Collison will be our starting guard with out a doubt. Collison will play 30min or so a game with AJ backing him up. That leaves little room for him to get min at the point. We also don't need him at pg hardly at all now. They may still try to see what he can do their but his big strength is putting points on the board. He has an amazing shooting game. Possibly the best shooter in the draft even with hayward, and babbit. So shouldn't we let him play more time at SG. rush can start and lance n dunleavy can split the other minutes. At some point in the year i expect dc, rush, posey, granger,hibbert to start a game. With granger getting alot of minutes at pf that leaves some minutes for paul and maybe d.jones. really d.jones and posey are the same type players but, posey is bigger and possibly more effective then jones. so jones shouldn't get many minutes they should instead go to paul. Magnum's situation hasn't really changed with granger eating up as many min as murph would. Tyler seems to be doing well too and will see about the same minutes he averaged last year. might even get some more this yr. mcbob will see the same minutes unless tyler gets hurt cause we need to see what we have in rolle too.

pretty much with murphy being gone and us gettin help at the point. the rooks will be lookin at a much different set up then before.
    2012: Pacers return to glory

Paul George All Day

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers2012 View Post
    Whats this mean for stephenson? Collison will be our starting guard with out a doubt.
    little room for him to get min at the point. We also don't need him at pg hardly at all now. but his big strength is putting points on the board.

Remember Price is recovering from an injury. If Ford is moved there may be more minutes at the point than you think for Lance

He has an amazing shooting game. Possibly the best shooter in the draft even with hayward, and babbit.

No, you're confusing him with George. Lance's game is his ability to score and his playmaking skills.

but, posey is bigger and possibly more effective then jones.

Posey's ancient. He's looked like he has declined quite a bit the last couple of years. His shot was off last year too. Even so, he has a DECENT 3pt shot. He's also more suitable for the SF and PF spots while Dahntay fits better as a SG.

mcbob will see the same minutes unless tyler gets hurt cause we need to see what we have in rolle too.

I don't know. I think we see McBob getting a big chunk of minutes. Murphy's absence is 32.6 mpg. I see McBob getting around 10 of those, depending on the health of Hansbrough

pretty much with murphy being gone and us gettin help at the point. the rooks will be lookin at a much different set up then before.

Word
    Sorry I cut your post up so much but I wanted to specifically address some points lost in that Godly paragraph.

Sports Logo

Before any of you pencil McRoberts, Rolle and Hansbrough into the PF rotation...let's look at the PF/C rotation as it stands now:

Hibbert
    Foster
    Hansbrough
    McRoberts
    Solo
    Magnum ( maybe )

Add in Granger and George getting likely some backup PF/C minutes...do you think that Bird and Morway will be content with this JUST FOR THIS season?

I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up trading for a more experience PF...one that would even have a long-term contract. As to who? I have no clue....but I wouldn't stay on cloud 9 for too long. Didn't Bird say that we probably won't be going into the season with this roster intact as the way it is now?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Before any of you pencil McRoberts, Rolle and Hansbrough into the PF rotation...let's look at the PF/C rotation as it stands now:

Hibbert
    Foster
    Hansbrough
    McRoberts
    Solo
    Magnum ( maybe )

Add in Granger and George getting likely some backup PF/C minutes...do you think that Bird and Morway will be content with this JUST FOR THIS season?

I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up trading for a more experience PF...one that would even have a long-term contract. As to who? I have no clue....but I wouldn't stay on cloud 9 for too long. Didn't Bird say that we probably won't be going into the season with this roster intact as the way it is now?
    I could see the Pacers trying to bring in another young PF/C to fight for minutes along side those players, but I have a hard time seeing the Pacers bringing in a PF that is clearly better than anyone we have now. I just don't think we have the pieces to bring one back, and it may just be too tempting to wait and try to get Horford.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

Hibbert
    Foster
    Hansbrough
    McRoberts
    Solo
    Magnum ( maybe )

To be honest, bringing in a new PF is reasonable, and if Hans and McBob only play ten minutes each, that's fine with me.

If Ford gets minutes over Collison, Price or Lance, then I'm gonna be upset

If Dunleavy gets minutes over George, (okay, I know he will), Lance (yea probably then too), or Rush I'll be upset.

If DJones gets minutes over George, Lance, and Rush I'll be upset

If Foster gets minutes over Hibbert...

I think with our young guys, there's a good chance every position is covered besides PF. (maybe SG, but one would hope that, just like between Collison and Price, between Lance, Rush, and George..one of them would be the SG of the future.) So I'm okay with them looking for a solid guy there.