Thread: In a Post "Decision" World, What is Dahntay Jone's Value?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default In a Post "Decision" World, What is Dahntay Jone's Value?

Has Dahntay's trade value increased since the new NBA frontier formed in July? It seems contenders would covet role players with Dahntay Jone's (and other elite defender's) skill set. In a Wade/James/Bosh world do versitile defenders have increased value?

Default Re: In a Post "Decision" World, What is Dahntay Jone's Value?

Does Posey make Jones expendable? Or is it the other way around?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

More than one box of Eggo Waffles.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does Posey make Jones expendable? Or is it the other way around?
    I think Posey makes Jones expendable, DJ's contract is smaller and he is more athletic than Posey, also Posey can hit the three so he is more valuable to JOB
    Last edited by vnzla81; 08-11-2010 at 10:49 PM.

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd take Dahntay over Posey 10 times out of 10. I don't get why so many people here don't like Dahntay. Dahntay hasn't coexisted very well at all with O'Brien, even making snide comments/remarks in postgame interviews towards O'Brien (somebody has to though!!!!), which is the big thing. But like I keep saying, look at what Dahntay did in the playoffs back when he was with Denver. The Nuggets went to the Western Conference Finals and ALMOST made it to the NBA Finals, mostly because of Dahntay and his stellar defense. We HAVE to keep Dahntay because once Jim O'Brien is out of town, we'll then see what a heck of a player we have in D-Jones.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianDudley View Post
    We HAVE to keep Dahntay because once Jim O'Brien is out of town, we'll then see what a heck of a player we have in D-Jones.
    Unfortunately, I feel as if by the time that rolls around, DJ will be too far out of his prime to contribute what he did in Denver.

Mood

I don't get all of the Dahntay hate myself. Guy goes out and plays his butt off. Sure he has some limitations, but he is a very good asset to have when you need defensive stops on the wing and second chance points.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    I don't get all of the Dahntay hate myself. Guy goes out and plays his butt off. Sure he has some limitations, but he is a very good asset to have when you need defensive stops on the wing and second chance points.
    Agreed. ANd I like the guy a lot. Would want him on my team.
    BUT
    His upside is here and now. What you see is what you get.
    We've got at least 2 guys that COULD be way more than that. But it won't happen on the bench.
    So do you play the steady, hard working but limited offensively kid?
    Or the longer kid that plays just as good on defense, but has the POTENTIAL to explode offensively if he ever realizes how good he can be?
    OR the kid that you just drafted that MIGHT play some 2 at 6'9" and LONG arms, exceptional quickness and unreal leaping ability that MIGHT have bigtime star potential when he grows into the league.
    If Brandon didn't play very good defense and George didn't show very good skills there, that would make Dahntays value a lot higher. But they are both younger, much taller, just as quick and have much higher ceilings on the offensive end of the floor.
    Now whether Paul can be anything close to the bulldog that Dahntay is remains to be seen.

Both of them HAVE to play (IMO)

I like him too and appreciate what he has to offer, but he's going to be the odd man out anyway and not an ideal SG.

Dahntay is probably worth a future pick or 2.

I love Dahntay Jones. However, I don't see how he fits within our roster. I think Jones is like Foster (a year or two ago) who clearly deserved to contend for a ring that was far beyond reach.

Quote Originally Posted by ryheathco View Post
    I love Dahntay Jones. However, I don't see how he fits within our roster. I think Jones is like Foster (a year or two ago) who clearly deserved to contend for a ring that was far beyond reach.
    I agree, he is a good player just we don't have a spot for him, and it would be mutually beneficial to trade him to a contender. Not only does he get a chance to play and win a championship, he can bring back some value other than sitting on the bench. This team is preparing for the future and he simply isn't in the plans.

People hate Dahntey for his college days, which, to be honest, has carried over some into the pros. You have to remember that in college, Dahntey broke another players jaw, and was the subject of a highlight video where he showed how he could foul, hurt another player and gleefully get away with it. Not sure if he's completely grown out of all of that, but that is where it comes from.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

James Posey is what Dhantay Jones would be if he had a complete game and was willing to do only what his team needed. Dhantay Jones is one dimensional (defending players small than himself) but tries to prove that he's a complete player and dominates the ball on offense when he shouldn't.

Now I don't know how much Posey has left in the tank. But Dhantay never had much in the tank to begin with. Neither one of them may do much for the blue-and-gold this season, but I'm much more optimistic that Posey may contribute because he could play a cpmplete game at a reasonably high level at one point in time.

Jones value didn't go down because of the "Decision", because it couldn't go much lower. But it didn't go up either, becasue he's still Dhantay Jones... a ninth-man on a contending team looking for a defensive stopper in very, very limited minutes, and even less valuable on a bad team.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silverbax View Post
    People hate Dahntey for his college days, which, to be honest, has carried over some into the pros. You have to remember that in college, Dahntey broke another players jaw, and was the subject of a highlight video where he showed how he could foul, hurt another player and gleefully get away with it. Not sure if he's completely grown out of all of that, but that is where it comes from.
    Really?

Thanks for posting.

But I've never heard of this. I think he played for Duke, but I don't watch much semi-pro ball, and certainly not the ACC. My dislike of him in anything more than a very limited role is based 100% on what he's done in the NBA.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Me either. I actually like Dahntay. He plays great defence. Hes very athletic. And his contract is pretty reasonable.

I dont see him going anywhere, as long as JOB is around. JOB loves to play small ball. With the depature of Murphy, Granger, and possibly George, will play some mins at PF, which would in turn leave more mins for guys like Dahntay.

With regards to all this Dahntay Jones hate, you got to remmeber, you got remember, JOB tried playing him at PF at times. What would you expect? He'll get overpowered on the defensive end. Yes, hes a good defender, but for swingmen.

I would love to see Dahntay Jones, Posey and Tyler/McRoberts guarding Miami's big 3. Our guys play really hard on the defensive end, and could end up giving the big 3 a hard time...though we would struggle on the offensive end with that line up
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    James Posey is what Dhantay Jones would be if he had a complete game and was willing to do only what his team needed. Dhantay Jones is one dimensional (defending players small than himself) but tries to prove that he's a complete player and dominates the ball on offense when he shouldn't.

Now I don't know how much Posey has left in the tank. But Dhantay never had much in the tank to begin with. Neither one of them may do much for the blue-and-gold this season, but I'm much more optimistic that Posey may contribute because he could play a cpmplete game at a reasonably high level at one point in time.

Jones value didn't go down because of the "Decision", because it couldn't go much lower. But it didn't go up either, becasue he's still Dhantay Jones... a ninth-man on a contending team looking for a defensive stopper in very, very limited minutes, and even less valuable on a bad team.
    I totally disagree with that. Jones did a great job guarding Kobe a few years back in the playoffs. Kobe isnt smaller than him
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.