View Poll Results: How many wins does JOB need by New Years to keep his job? (31 games total)

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-4

3 7.69%
  • 5-9

1 2.56%
  • 10-14

11 28.21%
  • 15-16

11 28.21%
  • 17-20

8 20.51%
  • 21 or more

5 12.82%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many wins does JOB need by New Years?

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default How many wins does JOB need by New Years?

I'm wondering what people think regarding how JOB must perform to keep his job? How many games must he win by New Years Day to not be replaced during the year? There are 31 games

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Default Re: How many wins does JOB need by New Years?

I'm sure he'll keep the job until the end of the season, no matter what happens before New Years Eve.
    Thank you Jeff.

Unless he "loses the team" he'll keep his job. And Bord and Morway will know if and when that happens

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I think judging JOB by just wins could be a mistake. With the group we now have, it's more important than ever for our guys to be played in their natural positions with a game plan that plays to the player's strengths. We have a lot of young talent that will needs to be developed. That will only come with PT, a consistent rotation, and a game plan that plays to our players strength. that means no more different line up every night. No more gimmicky chucker offense and o-lay defense.
    I am of the mindset that we still have JOB solely because he is the best coach we could get with the players we had. Now that we have a promising young group of players, I think we have suddenly become a more attractive team for a top level coach looking to put his stamp on something special.

Plus it is going to take this team a little while to mesh. A new point guard has a huge impact on a team and it can take awhile. So I don't expect the pacers to be very good before Jan. 1st, but I do expect them to get better after that.

"I'm your huckleberry"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think 25+ will get people to put away the pitchforks and cause the mob to disperse.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

UB and a couple of others: if you don't think he will need that many wins, go ahead and put your opinion in the poll, if you don't mind.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think 25+ will get people to put away the pitchforks and cause the mob to disperse.
    25 WINS

thats 25 out of 31...theres no way we do that. The best team in the league will be lunch to have 25 wins at New Years.

Realistically, we're looking at about 16-18 wins. Above .500 and in the playoff hunt
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Mood

I put 0-4 because I don't think any amount of losses will get him out of here this season.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

"I'm your huckleberry"

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    25 WINS

thats 25 out of 31...theres no way we do that. The best team in the league will be lunch to have 25 wins at New Years.

Realistically, we're looking at about 16-18 wins. Above .500 and in the playoff hunt
    It was partially in jest, since there has been a lot hate toward JOB. I think 25-6 would yield nary a peep from any remaining doubters, don't you?
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not so interested in JOB's NYD record, but have a coaching related question that could be related in a warped type of way....

What does the addition of Collison & t/y's draft class do when taking into account a coaches desire to coach this team in '11 & beyond?
    How much more attractive is this job today then it was at the end of last season?
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Pacers will have had another summer of significant roster changeover, which means 3 (!) things:

1. Previous roster players / new guys must adjust to each other

2. Draftees must adjust to the speed and power of the NBA, likely from the bench

3. New guys must adjust to the O'Brien system, which is likely foreign to most of them

If the team (Danny) hits 3's, the Pacers could get 15 or so wins by New Years. If not, 10 or so is more likely despite the improved talent, unless there is an actual change to the offense that depends on ball and player movement with a purpose, as well as a focus on getting to the line. If that were to happen (I don't think it will but I want it to), more than 15 wouldn't be out of the question.

That said, as long as O'Brien gets 10 or more wins by then, he won't have much to worry about because the team is in flux yet again (and it needs to be) and that will give O'Brien latitude. Less than 10, barring injury to Granger, and O'Brien may get replaced regardless due to the continuation of the same old same old.

Jim O'Brien coaches horrible basketball. I want him gone regardless of how many wins he gets. Even if he gets a lot, I would be convinced another coach would get more, even if that wasn't true - at least the other coach wouldn't install bad habits into our players.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

He needs to make the playoffs to have any chance of keeping his job.

After 3 years of being the Pacers coach, Jimmy has a record of 104-142. In order to have a .500 record after 4 years as coach, Jimmy would have to have a season of`60-22. It just isn't happening, nor is Jimmy being coach of the Pacers in 011-012 going to happen.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It has took to almost March to mesh the last 3 seasons. Seems to be a JOB thing as much as having new players mesh, I don't ever expect a JOB team to be ready till the season is half over.

I know I'm over JOB, he just needs to be gone, I don't care how many games we win.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

I don't think he'll be gone by new years regardless of what happens. And things would have to really click fast for him to stick around beyond this year, like competing in a playoff series big.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I think no matter what we have a new coach at the end of the season because we'll be an attractive destination now for a better coach.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was thinking how many wins for Bird to think about keeping him as coach. If its just to keep his job the entire season 0-4 as Travmil said.

Only way we're getting rid of him by New Year's is if we're just awful, and TPTB determine he's actively hurting player development and the franchise from a PR standpoint (at least, more so than usual.)

Considering the coaching staff got much younger, it will take a great deal for Larry to pull the plug. But Burke's still there.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

If he hasn't been fired by now then it's obviously going to take a lot to get him fired. 0 wins would probably do it... but that's about as sure as I can be... and I'm not too sure of that.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

The sunshiner deep down inside of me is hoping Jimmy really turns a corner and makes an unbelievable run this year. It worries me because that may mean he will stick around longer, but I'm just not sure if he isn't the best man for the job.

The question that can never be answered was could any coach have done any better with the team we had the last few years? I mean we are light years ahead of where we were at the beggining of even last season.

I have my problems with the things he does, but maybe there is a method to his madness. Rush and Hibbert are coming into their third year and I've been saying since we drafted them, that this would be their year to shine. We still have Granger. Collison is going to be a beast. Don't count out our PFs just yet...

If we can be healthy this year, and move Dunleavy and Ford, then I could see O'Brien making this team overachieve to 50 wins and a playoff upset. I mean this year, we actually have the horses...Espescially if Bird lands a PF with Fordleavy

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Midcoasted For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

For me, it would have to be the full 31 wins if we ever wants to coach inside Conseco Fieldhouse for the Pacers again. but that's just my opinion

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

0-4 is the right answer.

There's no reason right now to believe that management is thinking about a coaching change. They've committed to him for the season and the season hasn't started yet.

Unless they go out and hire Larry Bird to the front office just to fire him, of course.

I'm not happy about this, but I can't really see a scenario where he doesn't survive the entire year, and frankly I'm concerned that a much better roster will show enough improvement that he'll get another extension. This roster now appears to be good enough to be a #7 or #8 seed, in spite of Jim. I'm not sold on the Bulls, especially with a rookie coach, so there's even a little bit of a chance for the #6 spot.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

FO will reward him with a contract extension when he hurdles the 4 win mark..

But i am very optimistic that my prediction will never prove right or wrong since the Pacers are gonna have a balanced record around .500 by new year's eve.