Thread: James Posey

Default James Posey

I think he will be solid off the bench. He can sure stretch the floor and knock down 3's. He struggled with the Hornets last year only averaging like 5 ppg but he played a big role in the Celtics championship team a few years ago. I used to call him the new aged Robert Horry because he would knock down big 3's. I dont think you can look past the acquisition of getting him, also. Anybody wanna comment on getting Posey? I think he could be a solid piece to our team.

This trade was an absolute "HOMERUN" for the Pacers.

Default Re: James Posey

He's old, but I think he has value to this team.

If George really is a few years away, a player like Posey could be a very good mentor, defensively. They're about the same size anyway. I also see Posey as a good backup for Granger.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he will be solid off the bench. He can sure stretch the floor and knock down 3's. He struggled with the Hornets last year only averaging like 5 ppg but he played a big role in the Celtics championship team a few years ago. I used to call him the new aged Robert Horry because he would knock down big 3's. I dont think you can look past the acquisition of getting him, also. Anybody wanna comment on getting Posey? I think he could be a solid piece to our team.

This trade was an absolute "HOMERUN" for the Pacers.
    He played a good role in that Heat Championship also....He's got 2 rings on his finger, i'm glad we got him to bring leadership and experience
    And the walls came tumbling down.....

I like how we got stuck with posey. Nets and Rockets were prob like "well were not gonna take him" "Hey Larry, your really want that guard dont ya?" "Yea you know you do! Looks like your got Posey."

I actually like having posey even though we now have 7 count em 7 wing players. He has the most playoff and finals experience. Pretty much no one is even close to him on how many playoff games he has been in besides Foster. So if we can squeeze in the playoffs then look for him to be a big teacher for the wings who have never even sniffed the playoffs. He plays D and isn't the type to whine about minutes. He could also be trade bait with dunleavy at the deadline and we could get a pick or some young talent maybe. I like having him and his contract isn't as bad as people make it out to be since he only has 2yrs left and maybe only half a season will be wit us.
    2012: Pacers return to glory

Paul George All Day

I think Posey could play the invaluable Byron Scott role for this team. He's a vet who's been in championship environments. He'll bring much to a young team that's hungry to win.

I'm definitely happy we got Posey as well. One thing this team sorely needs is defense and Posey has been one of the best over his career. He was very important in both Miami and Boston's championship runs.

Love Posey, one of my favourites players in the league. Always admired how he turned around his game and his career after that start in Memphis trying to be a shot-maker.

He's been declining quite a bit in these past 2 seasons, he was unhappy in New Orleans, maybe a change of scenario will do him some good. I'd rather see him with a contender.

Posey isn't the elite defender he used to be any more. Especially when guarding wings, he was already slipping when he played in Boston. Still solid though, but I think right now he's actually better guarding 4s.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers2012 View Post
    I actually like having posey even though we now have 7 count em 7 wing players.
    Posey is a good option as a stretch four.

Seem to remember Posey having problems with attitude/conditioning in the past and I googled this. Does anyone know if this continued in New Orleans?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2718996

"Heat forwards Antoine Walker and James Posey were deactivated for the team's game Wednesday night against the Los Angeles Clippers because they didn't meet a team conditioning goal."

and this:

http://celticsgreen.blogspot.com/200...mes-posey.html

"Trouble with Posey is, (and this is where he fell out of grace with Riley in Miami), he doesn't bring that type of effort on a nightly basis. He was huge in the Postseason run when we won it all down here in Miami, but more often than not, he simply didn't show up most nights. People need to realize that Riley is a master motivator, and even he couldn't get through to Posey - and that was with the help of Shaq, Zo, Payton, etc."
    Last edited by kidneypuncher; 08-11-2010 at 08:14 PM. Reason: adding quotes

He also had a DUI event in Miami. That body fat thing was weird, I don't recall the history very well but Posey thought he was a big but Riley considered him a GF so he needed to have a lower body fat %.

He's a terrific lockerroom guy and a pro. And one of the greatest motivators and intangibles guy in the Celtics team that won the title.

I think James Posey can help the Pacers although I don't know how much he has left in him. I like his game when he is playing well but it's hard to say how he will do on a non contending team like the Pacers. Probably not as well as we all would like.

I hope what cordobes said about him is true...being a terrific lockerrom guy and pro.

I do remember Posey coming up big for the Celtics when they won the title. The big 3 got all the credit but enough couldn't be said about what the others, especially Posey, did for that team.

Posey, if he does have anything left in his tank, could be traded especially around the deadline. He could help a lot of contenders and maybe the Pacers turn him into an expiring contract.

do you guys think he can be a good mentor for our young swingmen?
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    do you guys think he can be a good mentor for our young swingmen?
    I hope so, because I couldn't give a **** if he ever set foot on the court with the Pacers, just as long as he can help the players that are on this team get better.

I'd love to see him with us this season as a mentor, but something keeps telling me that he'll be gone before the season starts.

Then again, I also thought Collison was out of the picture, so I guess that shows what I know

Obviously ur not a golfer 5_7_Clash's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

On JMV today, Morway was saying that he and Bird were "especially excited" about getting Posey. Of course, that could be PR damage control in regards to his contract but then again, he can hit the three. I think he could also defend the four which, as we all know, is something we haven't seen regularly.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's gonna make a good teacher for Brandon and Paul and help improve their shooting.

Per Rosen:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/C...h-trade-081110

"The addition of James Posey, though, might be a mixed blessing for Indiana. Thatís because Poseyís immutable history indicates that he plays good for good teams and bad for bad teams. So for Posey to become the defensive demon and knock-down perimeter shooter he last was in Bostonís championship season, the Pacers had better get good in a hurry."

Quote Originally Posted by kidneypuncher View Post
    Per Rosen:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/C...h-trade-081110

"The addition of James Posey, though, might be a mixed blessing for Indiana. Thatís because Poseyís immutable history indicates that he plays good for good teams and bad for bad teams. So for Posey to become the defensive demon and knock-down perimeter shooter he last was in Bostonís championship season, the Pacers had better get good in a hurry."
    Posey flourishes in the big moments, that's undeniable. Feeds of winning and competing at the big stages. And he was unmotivated and unhappy in New Orleans - all those guys were.

But he was maybe the 2nd best player in some of those Jerry West engineered Memphis team that were good but not that good.

It's more that what he brings to the table can't make a bad team much better - at least it's not easy to identify that effect - but it can turn a very good team into an excellent one.

The biggest problem is that he's older now, has lost a couple of steps. He was already declining as a wing defender in Boston, no way he goes back to be a "defensive demon". A good defender because of his smarts and team defense maybe.