Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Troy Murphy Appreciation Thread

Default Re: Troy Murphy Appreciation Thread

I've said it for years, and I still maintain the feeling.

I am a Troy Murphy fan.

I've never hid that fact and I won't now. He's been a model citizen, does as he's asked and played his heart out every game. I'm not going to fault Troy for how he's been utilized. I think a lot of how the coaching staff has asked him to play has unfairly colored how Troy's been viewed here.

We as fans, fixated on his salary, to the point of obliterating anything positive he could do.

Statistically, he put up comparable numbers to guys like Horford, Love and Okur. For me, the biggest problem is that he never got paired with a low post beast to compliment his game. I always wanted him to have a yin/yang relationship with another player like Dale and Rik had. We never blasted those guys too much cause they covered each others weaknesses.

Yeah, Troy has a glaring deficiency in his game, but ya know, so do a lot of other guys. Amare comes immediately to mind. Antwan Jamison is another. Zach Randolph. They bring it on the offensive end, but defensively....um....

I'll be honest. I'll miss him. I know I'm in a minority, but I don't, and never have, cared what other fans think. The guy worked hard, improved his stats every year, played within our system...He did alright by this organization as far as I'm concerned. I always though of Troy as needing someone like Brad Dougherty had in Larry Nance to compliment his game.

I am thrilled to have Collison coming here, but I can't say I'm happy to see Troy go. He became the forum whipping boy years ago and I never quite understood the fervor at which people attacked him. When people actually started attacking his improved rebounding stats for how he grabbed the rebounds, or dissed his scoring for how he scored them, I just started not reading threads about him, because, for me, it was kinda ridiculous.

Good luck Troy. I'll miss ya.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Skaut_Ech For This Useful Post:

Great post Skaut. Sums up the views i've had about him pretty well.

Lurking

Thanks for being a model Pacer, Troy.

I appreciate it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to captainC For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I became more down on Troy's defense over the last year but I never felt he deserved the vitriol some came up with against him.

He should do well enough on a team with individual defenders capable of keeping him from getting in trouble, especially a defender who can quickly rotate to cover his man rather than making him have to decide where to bounce back to or to stand in no man's land.

There were games where Troy's offense was the only thing firing anyone up, and there was never any doubt that he was on the floor to play the best he could.

There will be times we miss having that trailing 3 as a money option.

Best of luck to Troy with the Nets.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

I truly hope Troy deal well in NJ and gets himself a nice deal next summer.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was and am a Troy Murphy fan . I'll be interested to see where his 10-12 rebounds are gotten. Lets hope both Hibbert and Granger can at least move to 8 rpg apiece.

His defense was bad no questioning that. But he was a top shooting big from 3 point range , seemed like a good teammate. In addition you never saw his name in any police reports , he carried himself as a true pro.

I'll miss him and wish him well . To think some on here said they'd deal Troy for a scrub just to get out from under his contract appears his value was far greater than most imagined bringing the Pacers their much needed starting point guard in Darren Collison.

I for one would not be upset if the Pacers signed Troy as a free agent this summer at a far lower salary.

He was never worth what he was paid but I won't miss him that being said I do wish him well except against us of course.

Mood

I'm not sad he's gone but I'm glad he's going somewhere where he should do pretty well and start. Key piece on my fantasy team.

I'm glad I'll no longer have to complain about him again.

PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

I wish Troy good luck. He always played hard and was a hard worker. If his contract was more in line with his talents and if he had a coach and team that was more able to use his talents it would have been great. Alas none of those things were in place.
    Good is the enemy of Great

We're changing the identity of our basketball team -- dramatically. We're a power post team -- a blood-and-guts, old-school, smash-mouth team that plays with size, strength, speed and athleticism. We attack the basket. . . . This is the new identity of our team. It was a great effort. I'm very proud of our guys."
    -- Frank Vogel.

Someone pull up some old troy murphy threads and let's see who's on here lying. lol

We essentially got Troy for Al Harrington. We would have had Harrington for the same amount of time, for similar $$, and Troy was a lot better player. Additionally Troy helped us land a PG and Harrington is still the hot and cold enigma he's always been.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This thread is like when a degenerate, drug addict third cousin that nobody likes dies, and we all have to pretend like he was a good person and we are going to miss him. About 85% of this board hated Murphy with the fire of a thousand suns, so I'm interested to see these feigned kind words spewed his way.
    About 85% of this board is relatively clueless about the intricacies of the game too.
    And it's low even for you to denigrate an appreciation thread with that BS.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00 View Post
    I was and am a Troy Murphy fan . I'll be interested to see where his 10-12 rebounds are gotten. Lets hope both Hibbert and Granger can at least move to 8 rpg apiece.

His defense was bad no questioning that. But he was a top shooting big from 3 point range , seemed like a good teammate. In addition you never saw his name in any police reports , he carried himself as a true pro.

I'll miss him and wish him well . To think some on here said they'd deal Troy for a scrub just to get out from under his contract appears his value was far greater than most imagined bringing the Pacers their much needed starting point guard in Darren Collison.

I for one would not be upset if the Pacers signed Troy as a free agent this summer at a far lower salary.
    I think Danny is going to play more 4 (again) due to the presence of Paul George. If Roy continues his growth, Rush continues his and Paul shows he can play some, the scoring will be there for Danny to play more all around game.

I remember telling my friend that Troy Murphy was trash (when Indy was playing the Cavs...him being a huge Cavs fan)

and every time I did, Murphy did something sweet on offense! He was like dude Murphy's doing everything for you on offense. I responded with no, just watch his defense. It negates his defense.

And I was right- even he had to admit it.

Still, thanks for playing your butt off Troy, never would I have thought I'd say Troy and have a genuine smile on my face

LETS GO DC!
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

Best of luck to Murph in the future. He's a solid double digit points/rebounds player that can help NJ out alot. The only thing I'm gonna be a hater about is his bad defense which we won't have to worry about anymore!!
    And the walls came tumbling down.....

Thanks Troy for being worth more than I'd ever thought you would be in a trade.

Thanks for all the Playoff wins hard fought defense and great seasons that made the pacers a great team and franchise.... wait that was dale davis. well congrants on your double double average and sweet 3s you hit. I do wish Murphy all the best though with his new team. He will be alot better for their future then what he would of been for ours. best of luck troy
    2012: Pacers return to glory

Paul George All Day

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    About 85% of this board is relatively clueless about the intricacies of the game too.
    And it's low even for you to denigrate an appreciation thread with that BS.
    Even for me, eh? It was a tongue in cheek post about an unpopular player that got traded, it's not as if I'm tarnishing his memory here. Step off your high horse.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    I remember telling my friend that Troy Murphy was trash (when Indy was playing the Cavs...him being a huge Cavs fan)

and every time I did, Murphy did something sweet on offense! He was like dude Murphy's doing everything for you on offense. I responded with no, just watch his defense. It negates his defense.

And I was right- even he had to admit it.

Still, thanks for playing your butt off Troy, never would I have thought I'd say Troy and have a genuine smile on my face

LETS GO DC!

Lol, I had a similar experience late in the season with the game against the Nets. A buddy of mine went with me, and everything I'd say something bad about the Matador, he'd put in a bucket. Once he'd give up a bucket and act like a deer in the headlights when it came to defense, did my buddy finally understand where I was coming from.

2 dudes who had come over from China to watch the game seemed to find the Troy bashing humerous. Apparently Pacers fans in China feel the same way, lol.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Thanks Murph. But now the grass is greener on both sides. He gets to go back home also. Good person, good offensive player, but just not a good defender.

never gonna forget his tip in vs the lakers..that was aesome

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

I went nuts that night. that tip in was awesome.

Dunleavy must be crushed.