Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Yahoo reports a done deal!! We turned Troy Murphy into Darren Collison and Posey!!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Yahoo reports a done deal!! We turned Troy Murphy into Darren Collison and Posey!!

Very awesome trade. Take care Murph...

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Yahoo reports a done deal!! We turned Troy Murphy into Darren Collison and Posey!!

Man, I can't wait to buy a Darren Collison jersey.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Belinelli is a guy who is better off playing a bigger role on a European team.

He's a guy who needs the ball to be effective. And he can actually look like a decent player in stretches if you give him that opportunity. Problem is that he's simply not a good enough player to have that big a role. You're sacrificing a lot of team oriented stuff in order to put the ball in his hands and give him a big role. He's just not a good enough player to warrant that.

I really don't think Belinelli for Wright is much of a consequence for either team.
    We're in basic agreement about Belinelli, when it comes to him needing the ball to be effective. I think he can be an average to below average backup PG in the NBA in that role though, depending on the kind of team he's in (New Orleans is the ideal one, with their shortage of shot-creators and PG-centric offense).

The problem with him getting back to Europe is that the very few teams rich enough to pay him a salary comparable to what he may get in the NBA don't want 1-guads in his mold - he'd spend his career chucking shots as a scoring wing without having the ball that much anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    It's pretty clear the Pacers are the winners of the deal. Ironic because the headlines of the deal mention the Hornets getting Ariza as the lead story. In fact, it's the Pacers who got the best player in the deal.

This is a solid 'A' move. Let's not call it an A+ move. That's when you get Lebron. But it's a move that address a need, is all upside and no downside.

And FWIW, Troy Murphy's value turned out to be Courtney Lee. That's what the Nets traded to get Murphy. Credit Bird and Morway for finagling the Rockets into the deal to create some smoke and mirrors in order to somehow get more in return than just Courtney Lee.

It's like one of these deals on NBA Live where you do multiple trades with the computer to create some smoke in mirrors and come out on top. Great job because this was clearly a situation where the Pacers were proactive, took advantage of an opportunity and worked things into their favor. It wasn't a case of something that just dropped in their lap. They were patient and pro-active at the same time and it really paid off.
    Yeah, it was an excellent job by the Pacers, good point about the importance of getting the Rockets into the deal. They got terrific value for Murphy.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm sorry I said the Pacers couldn't do this type of trade this year, glad I am wrong!

Posey will either be bought out or traded before trade deadline either way I don't think he's such a horrible contract that they wouldn't take on Collison.

The other thing missing from most posts is that the Pacers save about 4 million or so on THIS year's luxury tax, which means with some cuts/additional trades the Pacers have room to sign a guy or 2 (Magnum comes to mind) and still stay below the luxury tax.

I assume the Nets did this to maybe possibly stay above the minimum salary needed, and having Murph for 1 year is a good gamble for them.

I guess I can kind of see what the Hornets are doing, but they still have Peja and a couple others at SF, and the Rockets I guess is mostly a pure salary dump, which to me is a big step backwards for them.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I feel stupid for admitting this, but I don't care at this point.

When this came up, for some reason, my mind went directly to Nick Collison..... I think I might just call my boss and tell him that he can cover the rest of the day.
    Thank you for posting this. Glad to know I wasn't the only one. I didn't realize it until I looked at an email from the pacers with a picture of Collison and James "pocketful of" Posey, and I was like I thought Collison was white......I think I'm thinking of the wrong guy.
    Doing the twitter thing JonnyB83
    Also JonnyB83 on facebook....we should be friends!

My vacation started today, so I've been out all day. Man, what a way to start the vaca. Very awesome news.

I feel some more moves though or a buyout. Poor Rolle needs a home, and I hope it's with the Pacers.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I find it curious why Pacers.com decided to email me about this directly and then pitch season ticket plans to me...

As a Pacers supporter, we wanted to notify you the Pacers have acquired point guard Darren Collison and forward James Posey from the New Orleans Hornets as part of a four-team, five-player trade. As part of the deal, the Pacers will send veteran forward Troy Murphy to the New Jersey Nets.

Visit Pacers.com for complete coverage of this trade and your Indiana Pacers. Click here ticket information including the newly-announced Mini Plans.

This e-mail was sent to ______@hotmail.com by Pacers Sports & Entertainment.
    One Conseco Court, 125 S. Pennsylvania St., Indianapolis, IN, 46204

You received this e-mail because you are a Pacers supporter.
    Reply to this e-mail with "REMOVE" in the subject line to no longer receive similar notifications.
    How exactly did they get my email in the first place?
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-11-2010 at 07:49 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    http://realgm.com/src_feature_pieces...m_hibernation/

Grading The Deal: Four-Team Trade Wakes NBA From Hibernation
    By: Andrew Perna
    RealGM.com Writer
    That guy is a Pacers writer on RealGM, so it's hard to take his analysis objectively. In this case though, I don't think anyone can disagree that our efforts are deserving of an 'A'.

It's fun seeing all of the people come home from work or whatever and just now seeing the trade. It's like Christmas morning all over again.

Hours later & I am still stunned.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I find it curious why Pacers.com decided to email me about this directly and then pitch season ticket plans to me...
    Well, now is a good time to jump on board.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    It's fun seeing all of the people come home from work or whatever and just now seeing the trade. It's like Christmas morning all over again.

So is Larry!

Mood

Do you "Like" them on Facebook?

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Larry told you all you needed was a little patience, yeah--aaaa.....
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

18. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    Do you "Like" them on Facebook?
    Nope.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    Larry told you all you needed was a little patience, yeah--aaaa.....
    OMG, I don't think I'll ever get that burned out of my head.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nope.
    It's all a part of the Pacers secret plan to lure you in

Just wondering what your opinion is of this trade being a non-bias player in this trade.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Hicks gave it to them!

I commented on it hours ago. Collison was as good a young PG prospect as there was on the market. I would have loved to acquire him too.

Posey is dead weight, but that's a fair price to pay. His effort level on a non-contender is super-low.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon7501 View Post
    Thank you for posting this. Glad to know I wasn't the only one. I didn't realize it until I looked at an email from the pacers with a picture of Collison and James "pocketful of" Posey, and I was like I thought Collison was white......I think I'm thinking of the wrong guy.
    Honestly, I wouldn't mind Nick Collison. He's a Jeff Foster clone that is less injury prone.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

Just an aside. I could see Earl Watson ending up in NO as Paul's backup.

I commented on it hours ago. Collison was as good a young PG prospect as there was on the market. I would have loved to acquire him too.

Posey is dead weight, but that's a fair price to pay. His effort level on a non-contender is super-low.
    The Pacers price for doing this deal is essentially losing $7+M in cap space next season, though it could be slightly less if Posey is bought out (wouldn't surprise me at all if he was). They still have plenty of cap space next year. May not matter either way because of the lockout but bottom line is does little to hurt their long term flexibility. Also saves them a couple mill this year, I believe.

As you said, it's a fair price to pay. And certainly a far better price than taking on Okafor.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Staverman View Post
    Just an aside. I could see Earl Watson ending up in NO as Paul's backup.
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/showpost...&postcount=444

Right there with ya.

My take on this:

Trevor Ariza should do really well in NO. They also swaped Julian Wright for Marco Belinelli and that should help them as well.

Courtney Lee is a good young player. I think Orlando has to regret trading him. He should do well in Houston.

I don't understand why New Jersey did this but I haven't read through the thread so hopefully someone has some insight.

I like it for the Pacers. I just hope Collison is the real deal. Really can't complain about this deal though. The Pacers gave up no young players or picks and while Posey's deal is a year long than Murphy's that's not a bad price to pay at all for a good, young point guard like Darren Collison.

Banned

I can't believe this just happened

This is how Im feeling now

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    I suspect you should prepare to be sour.

I look for one of two things starting the seasons. Either JOB will start a "small ball" lineup, or (if healthy) Foster will be the PF.
    I wouldn't mind Foster at the 4. Especially if Lance is at the 2. We will finally have plenty of offense to negate Foster's lack thereof.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown