Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How to improve the league

Default Re: How to improve the league

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are six unique trophies/banners for each division, each meant to reflect the history/geography of the greater area covered by said division.

The winner puts up the banner in their rafters for all of the following season, and displays the trophy (be it a regular trophy, something like the Old Oaken Bucket, or something else) somewhere in the arena for the public to see.

I like this.

And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

"I'm your huckleberry"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Go commercial-free during the game, except at the end of each quarter. Just have few corporate sponsor's logos rotate being integrated into the Fox Sports/ESPN/ABC score overlay on TV, kinda like soccer. Yes, Kstat, I took an idea from soccer, and someone took an idea from hockey. Those sports do a few things (but not all things) better than the current NBA model. I don't think the NBA is in a position to be looking down it's nose at other sports--especially one that has recovered from a two year lockout and another that is slowly gaining in popularity in the US.

The NBA needs to be presented as a fast-paced, action-packed product. Fewer commercials will make it more watchable in the era of excess--where something else is always on the other channel.
    Last edited by DocHolliday; 08-09-2010 at 12:48 PM.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    Go commercial-free during the game, except at the end of each quarter. Just have few corporate sponsor's logos rotate being integrated into the Fox Sports/ESPN/ABC score overlay on TV, kinda like soccer. Yes, Kstat, I took an idea from soccer, and someone took an idea from hockey. Those sports do a few things (but not all things) better than the current NBA model. I don't think the NBA is in a position to be looking down it's nose at other sports--especially one that has recovered from a two year lockout and another that is slowly gaining in popularity in the US.

The NBA needs to be presented as a fast-paced, action-packed product. Fewer commercials will make it more watchable in the era of excess--where something else is always on the other channel.
    Have you considered how doing that impact the players. Either the players would be so tired by the 4th quarter that the level of play would be terrible, or teams would have to play their 10th through 15th players on the rosters so much the fans would complain that they aren't seeing the best on the court

all non-playoff teams have equal chance for #1 pick, #2 pick, all the way down to #14.

Something to get rid of the tanking.

Quote Originally Posted by binarysolo View Post
    all non-playoff teams have equal chance for #1 pick, #2 pick, all the way down to #14.

Something to get rid of the tanking.
    So instead of the bottom teams tanking, you prefer teams in the #8 spot tanking?

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    So instead of the bottom teams tanking, you prefer teams in the #8 spot tanking?
    Why would a team capable of being in the playoff tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Why would a team capable of being in the playoff tank?
    A %7 chance of landing John Wall or a %0.5 chance of beating the #1 seed. Hmm.....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

I can't really see this happening. Being in the playoffs is an accomplishment that the players / fans don't take lightly.

Also... yeah, I probably would still rather have it that way. Currently, everyone out of the playoffs tanks so they can jockey for position. No more of that.

Ideally I would want a system that rewards teams for winning no matter their current place in the standings. There have been some interesting ideas for wins past a certain point adding to your chances in the lottery, but I think it's a tough thing to really nail something down that is clearly fair and reasonable.

FYI, the Wizards at the 5th best odds this past year had a %7.6 chance. Ask any team if they'd prefer those odds or a date with the best team in the conference in round 1...

FYI, the Wizards at the 5th best odds this past year had a %7.6 chance. Ask any team if they'd prefer those odds or a date with the best team in the conference in round 1...
    Ask the players? I believe they would want to keep playing.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to binarysolo For This Useful Post:

Currently, everyone out of the playoffs tanks so they can jockey for position. No more of that.
    Actually, no they don't. Decent teams in position to make the playoffs still make an effort towards the bitter end. This would reverse that. The #8 seed would become like the 22-foot shot. It would be a punchline to make the playoffs by 1 game and rob yourself of a legit shot at the #1 pick.

Ask the players? I believe they would want to keep playing.
    Then ask the players now if they want to keep playing. Their motivation isn't going to change one way or the other.

I can't really see this happening. Being in the playoffs is an accomplishment that the players / fans don't take lightly.
    Yes, because fans in all their purity never ever root for their team to lose late in the season to improve lottery odds...this forum was just overjoyed when Indiana ripped off that late season winning streak. The feeling of euphoria was amazing.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-09-2010 at 01:52 PM.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If I were king for a day, I would contract the Lakers and Celtics and be happier with my 28 team league. Yes, the ratings will fall, but I won't miss the Lakers fans or the Celtics fans.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Then ask the players now if they want to keep playing. Their motivation isn't going to change one way or the other.

Yes, because fans in all their purity never ever root for their team to lose late in the season to improve lottery odds...
    1) Teams that have no chance of making the playoffs tank. Teams that are within reach of making the playoffs try to make it even though they could increase their position by losing more games. When the players are close to the playoffs, they don't lose motivation like when they are 10 games out.

2) You are being sarcastic but, yes, fans really don't root for their teams to not make the playoffs.

Look, it was just an idea to help mitigate the tanking and I think it would be at least somewhat effective. Do you think the current system is the best or do you think there is a way to improve it?

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Have you considered how doing that impact the players. Either the players would be so tired by the 4th quarter that the level of play would be terrible, or teams would have to play their 10th through 15th players on the rosters so much the fans would complain that they aren't seeing the best on the court
    If the player is that tired after only 25ish minutes of play then there is a conditioning problem. Having 3 breaks, plus timeouts should be enough to not be tired in the 4th.

1) Teams that have no chance of making the playoffs tank.
    And the teams that have even a remote shot of making the playoffs go for it. It's a better alternative to motivate the worst teams to play hard, and the .500 teams to tank.

Look, it was just an idea to help mitigate the tanking and I think it would be at least somewhat effective. Do you think the current system is the best or do you think there is a way to improve it?
    There is no real solution. There are simply worse alternatives. If the worst teams are playing crappy in games they'd probably lose anyway,so be it. Rather that then listen to teams get raked over the local media coals because they eeked out a 3-OT game to barely make the playoffs on the last day, because it assured them of a 1st round beating, and cost them a shot at the next franchise prospect de jour.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    How about a league with a salary cap that cannot be topped for any reason, regardless of any penalties, and that cap be set at a level where even small market teams could profit? That would begin to truly even the competition, force teams to be better at managing payrolls, and likely lead to a league where more teams feel they have an opportunity to be competitive during any given season. In my opinion, this would end convoluted trade scenarios or player signing scenarios that lead to franchise implosions or dynasties being purchased by whatever owner is willing to pay the most penalties. Then, the best team play, likely with the best fundamentals, would dictate competitiveness and success within the league.

Also, I would implement a 4 year max length on contracts, with guarantees of no more than two of those years, and either the team or player being able to opt out of any non-guaranteed years at their discretion.

From a game play perspective, I would allow more contact from defenders on the perimeter from hand checks, and I would do away with the charge / no charge semicircle. Also, I would do away with the defensive 3 seconds rules that are so subjective that it is nearly impossible to call them with consistency.

Also, I would lengthen the distance to the 3 point arc to 26 feet (except along the sidelines, obviously) to reduce the number of shots taken from there, and reward those who are able to make them while penalizing those who miss with a higher likelihood of losing their possession. All of a sudden, ball and player movement become a prized commodity, and having a midrange game and an inside game become key in playing winning basketball.

I also would strongly encourage enforcement of a 3 step traveling violation for all players regardless of stature, even when a player's "signature move" often leads to 3 or 4 steps.

I recognize that none of these have much hope of happening, but it is fun to dream, instead of nightmare, occasionally.
    I agree completely with you.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    If the player is that tired after only 25ish minutes of play then there is a conditioning problem. Having 3 breaks, plus timeouts should be enough to not be tired in the 4th.
    You haven't played much basketball, have you?

It isn't soccer. You don't just get to stand around for long periods at a time and watch everyone else play. It's much closer to hockey, and NHL players that can play 20 out of 60 minutes are considered marathon men. If you eliminate breaks from an NBA game like you do with hockey, be prepared to watch Kobe and Lebron play all of 25 minutes per game, and about 8 1st half minutes, because teams wont want them to be dead tired in the 4th quarter.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-09-2010 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    well then currently every player that is in the NBA has a conditioning problem

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

"I'm your huckleberry"

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Ok, a small amendment. You still have stoppages in play, subs, and the occasional time-out, but instead of cutting to a commercial break, the cameras stay for analysis, replays, and all other filler that used to be conducted during the game causing the following few possessions to be missed by the announcing crew.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

...so eliminating commercials for full timeouts that nobody cares about anyway is going to make the game better?

How many possessions per game are missed for in-game promos? 1? 2? You're eliminating 3-4 minutes of advertising to save maybe 30 seconds of live game coverage. That's like killing a fly with a hand grenade.

Get rid of Stern...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Get rid of Stern...
    ...in favor of who?

...in favor of who?
    You.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post: