Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to improve the league

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default How to improve the league

With the NBA CBA coming up next year, Stern would love to have the NBA approach NFL-like appeal.

What ideas or suggestions do you guys and gals have that would make the NBA more popular?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: How to improve the league

Hard salary caps.

No hour long specials dedicated to where a specific player goes in free agency.

I get that isn't something that could be dealt with in the CBA, but yeah, that would make things more enjoyable.

Mood

More of a concentration by the league on teams rather than individual players. Both in the way the officials call the game and their advertising....oh yeah and in pay..the pay scale should be flatter. More for the minimum and less for the maximum.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    More of a concentration by the league on teams rather than individual players. Both in the way the officials call the game and their advertising....oh yeah and in pay..the pay scale should be flatter. More for the minimum and less for the maximum.
    Basically, make the NBA more like the NHL....thank goodness you aren't in charge. The NBA Finals would wind up on Verses by 2013.

The very last thing the NBA should touch should be the pay scale. Tweak it a little if need be, but it's by far the best in all of sports. There's a good cap, a good salary escalation deterrent, rookies get paid about what they should be getting paid, most superstars wind up staying home...

-Eliminating instant replay for any and all calls not related to the game/shot clock or the 3-point arc would un-clutter things. It was a nice idea but ultimately it needs to be streamlined.

-Move the charge circle out another 6 inches. Too many players are waiting under the rim rather than trying to play straight up defense.

-Reduce the fan vote for all star games to one player from each conference. After the first 11 have been selected, let the fans pick the 12th man.

-Allow more flex room for TV stations to add and remove games as they see fit. the OKC Thunder, for instance, should have seen a lot more TV time last year.

- Lessen the number of team-initiated time outs, at least when the game gets under two minutes. The last two minutes of a given game do not need to be 20 minutes long. Maybe add an additional TV time out during the game to compensate.

-Penalize intentional fouling off the ball, not just in the last 2 minutes. The hack-a-___ strategy is getting silly. Yes these players could be better FT shooters, but its like saying major league pitchers should be better hitters. It's one thing to foul them when they have the ball, but leave it at that.

-Eliminate the stupid technical foul suspension rule. Give the NBA more leeway to suspend players for individual technicals, but don't make it a cumulative effect. I shouldn't have to explain this.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-09-2010 at 10:43 AM.

2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

Are we looking for realistic proposals or more of the "if I were king of the world" type proposals.

I would love to see the regular season cut back to 62 - 66 games. Cut out 3 games in 4 nights or anything more compact than that. Have not done the math, but even with a 62 games season you probably cannot cut out back to backs alltogether.

I would shorten guaranteed contracts, but not do away with them.

I've said before that I think the thing that hurts the league more than anything is the player's posse, their hangers on - that can kill team morale and gets players distracted from team goals.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 08-09-2010 at 10:34 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I thought this was meant as a realistic proposal thread, ie shortening the season or eliminating guaranteed contracts would be off limits.

Far as players letting their boys affect how they play, that's on them, not the league. Players serious about doing their jobs don't let that happen.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How about a league with a salary cap that cannot be topped for any reason, regardless of any penalties, and that cap be set at a level where even small market teams could profit? That would begin to truly even the competition, force teams to be better at managing payrolls, and likely lead to a league where more teams feel they have an opportunity to be competitive during any given season. In my opinion, this would end convoluted trade scenarios or player signing scenarios that lead to franchise implosions or dynasties being purchased by whatever owner is willing to pay the most penalties. Then, the best team play, likely with the best fundamentals, would dictate competitiveness and success within the league.

Also, I would implement a 4 year max length on contracts, with guarantees of no more than two of those years, and either the team or player being able to opt out of any non-guaranteed years at their discretion.

From a game play perspective, I would allow more contact from defenders on the perimeter from hand checks, and I would do away with the charge / no charge semicircle. Also, I would do away with the defensive 3 seconds rules that are so subjective that it is nearly impossible to call them with consistency.

Also, I would lengthen the distance to the 3 point arc to 26 feet (except along the sidelines, obviously) to reduce the number of shots taken from there, and reward those who are able to make them while penalizing those who miss with a higher likelihood of losing their possession. All of a sudden, ball and player movement become a prized commodity, and having a midrange game and an inside game become key in playing winning basketball.

I also would strongly encourage enforcement of a 3 step traveling violation for all players regardless of stature, even when a player's "signature move" often leads to 3 or 4 steps.

I recognize that none of these have much hope of happening, but it is fun to dream, instead of nightmare, occasionally.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post

- Lessen the number of team-initiated time outs, at least when the game gets under two minutes. The last two minutes of a given game do not need to be 20 minutes long. Maybe add an additional TV time out during the game to compensate.
    I agree with this, but I also like when teams can move the ball to midcourt so they can get a decent shot off. I would allow teams to move the ball to midcourt without having to use a timeout in the last 30 seconds of a game. By doing this you could eliminate a few of the regular timeouts and shorten the game at the end.

The other team scores. No timeout, if the team wants to, just move ther ball to halcourt, throw it in, no timeout, no huddling up. Teams have to call a play and go

Mood

What do you guys think about the NFL's non-guaranteed contracts?

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    What do you guys think about the NFL's non-guaranteed contracts?
    I think if you want players holding out for a pay raise every time they have a good year, I say go for it.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Make the refs stop giving 'benifit of the doubt" 's to superstar players.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    Make the refs stop giving 'benifit of the doubt" 's to superstar players.
    You do realize %95 of them are correct calls. Not making them would swing things worse the other way.

I'll assume that we are talking about impractical "Commissioner for a Day" ideas:

1. Raise the rim two feet and allow goal-tending.

2. Reduce the value of a dunk to one point.

3. Shorten the season.

4. Penalize some off the ball fouls by leaving the ball in play but making the offending player step off court and stay there until the ball crossed midcourt going the other way. (Non-stop action, flowing up and down the court is what makes me most excited in watching basketball. So I'd like changes that reduce the number of whistles and breaks. But I don't want more fouling or fouls to be overlooked. I want fewer, not more, free throws.)

5. Turn down the volume of the PA system inside Conseco Fieldhouse.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Ok, the Fieldhouse has the quietest sound system I've ever been in. Did they remove the sound dampeners since 2005?

And if there's anything that would improve the NBA, I think discouraging dunking should be tops on the list, right after eliminating the 3-point line, the shot clock, no-look passes and smiling. Take the names off the back of the jerseys too.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-09-2010 at 11:32 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I agree with this, but I also like when teams can move the ball to midcourt so they can get a decent shot off. I would allow teams to move the ball to midcourt without having to use a timeout in the last 30 seconds of a game. By doing this you could eliminate a few of the regular timeouts and shorten the game at the end.

The other team scores. No timeout, if the team wants to, just move ther ball to halcourt, throw it in, no timeout, no huddling up. Teams have to call a play and go
    Am I misunderstanding something? I thought the teams already get it at midcourt at the end of the game... ala the Danny/LeBron game last year?

I do like the idea of a higher minimum salary floor and a hard cap, but can you have a soft and hard cap? Say $5-10 million apart?

I also like that teams can advance the ball to midcourt in the last 2 minutes. I just want them to start doing it in with 15 seconds left, not 1:57.

Allow two timeouts per side in the last 2 minutes, maximum. There won't be any excessive stalling until really late.

Mood

+ Franchise tags

+ Shorter contracts (from 5/6 now to 3/4)

+ No more defensive 3-seconds (or alternatively, no more zones; pick one)

+ Technical fouls also add a personal foul (but no more suspensions)

+ All-stars not selected by fans (or it's only for the last 3 spots, or their vote counts for 1/3 along with coaches and media for all spots)

+ Encourage a full-on competition during the all-star game by giving each player of the winning team a $X,000,000 bonus.

+ Replace the current dunk contest with "Dunk Horse" and no age limits

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    Am I misunderstanding something? I thought the teams already get it at midcourt at the end of the game... ala the Danny/LeBron game last year?
    No, teams have to burn a timeout to get the ball at midcourt. The biggest reason by far they use the timeout is to move the ball to halfcourt. So I am suggesting cutting the timeouts each teams gets per game by 2, so there are fewer timeouts used at the end as kstat mentioned, however still allow teams to move the ball to midcourt whenever they want in the last 30 seconds or so.

Shorten the season, I like the idea of it being in the 60s. There's too many right now. Which mean's people lose interest because so many games don't really matter.

Hard Salary cap. It would disperse the talent a little bit, and create a bit of parity.

Market rivalries. People always tune into those. Notice last year's finals had quite high ratings. You can market team rivalries and player rivalries. *Not that there are any now*

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    You do realize %95 of them are correct calls. Not making them would swing things worse the other way.
    My focus is on the other 5% where if you barely touch a player like that you get penalized.

I'd prefer to get more calls correct than worry about who's getting them. Certain calls are too quick to get right %100 of the time, so you have to go on the odds and make an educated decision. If that means 1 out of every 20 calls you get incorrect, so be it.

Mood

An older idea I've had:

The idea is to create some more interest in division rivalries.

I'm thinking kind of like how in college there's the Old Oaken Bucket game. It doesn't effect the standings, but it's for bragging rights.

There are six unique trophies/banners for each division, each meant to reflect the history/geography of the greater area covered by said division.

The winner puts up the banner in their rafters for all of the following season, and displays the trophy (be it a regular trophy, something like the Old Oaken Bucket, or something else) somewhere in the arena for the public to see.

Each season teams in the division try to keep or claim the trophy all over again.

Minor, but I think it'd be nice.

I don't think anyone really cares about meaningless trophies in professional sports. That's more of a college institution thing, to unify the student body.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Mood

I think it'd be a little fun. It's a great excuse for both franchises to hype up division games and generate a little more in-arena buzz for those games.

It'd be a little fun, but I'm not sure if it would improve the league at all. Trophies are style that needs substance to back it.

Michigan and Ohio State play every year to huge crowds and they have never needed a trophy to get people to care.

I don't know if Orlando and Miami would draw any more interest if they were playing for the "sunshine trophy" or something to that affect. It just puts a catchy name on a product to make it more marketable.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-09-2010 at 12:25 PM.