Thread: Sources: Pistons mulling Tracy McGrady (update: He has signed with DET)

Banned

Default Sources: Pistons mulling Tracy McGrady (update: He has signed with DET)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5446140

Sources: Pistons mulling Tracy McGrady

Tracy McGrady might be playing in the Central Division next season, but not with the team he was anticipating. The Detroit Pistons are seriously weighing whether to sign the two-time scoring champion after McGrady's recent flirtation with the Chicago Bulls, according to sources with knowledge of Detroit's thinking.

More from ESPN.com
    Though Chicago has not officially said no to Tracy McGrady, the former All-Star can easily read the writing on the wall, writes Marc Stein. Story

DraftExpress.com's Jonathan Givony reported earlier Saturday that the Pistons have already committed to sign McGrady to a one-year deal at the league's $1.35 million veteran minimum, but one source close to the situation told ESPN.com that Pistons officials were "taking the weekend" to discuss the move.

Another source said Saturday night that no deal has been signed but that the parties are "in discussions."

Nearly two weeks after a high-profile audition with the Bulls at their practice facility, McGrady appeared to have lost all hope of landing with the team he badly wanted to join when Chicago struck an agreement Friday with veteran swingman Keith Bogans.

But the Pistons have unexpectedly emerged as a suitor for McGrady after a quiet summer for Detroit that has been attributed in some league circles to owner Karen Davidson's reluctance to spend given her well-chronicled desire to sell the team.

Bringing in McGrady at such a low cost would thus represent a low-risk, high-reward gamble for the Pistons. The 31-year-old is trying to resurrect his career after playing in just 30 games last season with Houston Rockets and New York Knicks thanks to a slow recovery from microfracture knee surgery.

The Pistons would appear to have little need at shooting guard or small forward -- with Richard Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince, Ben Gordon, Rodney Stuckey and the recently re-signed Ben Gordon on the roster -- but Detroit personnel chief Joe Dumars has never shied away from reclamation projects and knows his team suffered from a lack of scoring punch last season.

After earning nearly $23 million in 2009-10 and averaging 8.2 points and 3.3 assists, McGrady has worked out this summer with the Los Angeles Clippers and Chicago in search of his next team.

Sources with knowledge of the Bulls' thinking have maintained for days that the signing of McGrady was "unlikely" because of fears that the seven-time All-Star would be unwilling to embrace a potentially limited role.

The Bulls have also been chasing Portland's Rudy Fernandez in trade talks in recent days and, according to sources, rate Fernandez as a better fit than McGrady because of his 3-point shooting ability.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Sources: Pistons mulling Tracy McGrady

It makes a lot more sense from our perspective if Tayshaun and Rip are both on their way out.

Either way, a 1-year minimum contract is the ultimate ho-hum. If he doesn't work out, you cut him and life goes on.

I'm not really interested in TMac unless he suddenly looks like old TMac once he steps onto the floor, which i doubt he will. Ideally, you'd trade Tayshaun Prince, and then start TMac at the 3 but let Austin Daye eat up the bulk of the SF minutes off the bench.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-08-2010 at 12:39 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Maybe it is just me, but I would rather have a healing McGrady than a healthy Keith Bogans.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mildlysane For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Considering Tmac seems to be poised to follow the path of Allen Iverson it seems only fitting he would end up in Detroit.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

It's funny how Tmac has gone from only going to a contender where he will start to going to an up and coming team where he will only start to now the vet min. to a team that will most likely not make the playoffs with no real guarantee of playing time.

It's been a rough off season for those players from the early part of the decade.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Tracy McGrady has been signed by the Detroit Pistons to a one year minimum contract, a source close to the situation tells DraftExpress.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/#ixzz0w45zcLxf
    http://www.draftexpress.com
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 2minutes twowa For This Useful Post:

draftexpress has been saying that since yesterday. If it's not done, I think it will happen, but it sure does give the Pistons a lot of wing players?

Gordon, Hamilton, Prince, Daye, Jerebko, Summers, McGrady. You could argue that all those guys need minutes. The young guys would really get the short end of the stick b/c you can't really justify benching Gordon, Hamilton or Prince if healthy. Sure McGrady wouldn't want to be on the bench either.

As someone mentioned above/before, I think the Pistons would have to move someone, somewhere, and Prince would be the likely guy since Hamilton and Gordon have lengthy contracts.

streets ahead

Per Woj on twitter...

GM Joe Dumars tells Y! Sports that Detroit's had internal talks on Tracy McGrady, but haven't decided on extending him an offer.
    11:40 PM Aug 7th via web

McGrady looked toasted last season. It seemed to me his legs aren't there any more. Couldn't create separation at all from his defender.

McGrady needs to go to a team where he has the playing time + touches to figure out if he has anything left. I don't like Detroit for him: I think Daye needs minutes, lots of minutes and increased responsibility. They already have Gordon+Stuckey+Bynum+Jerebko on the backcourt and then Rip+Prince. And an intriguing kid with role-player potential in Summers that I'd also like to see getting some minutes.

I'm very pessimistic about McGrady's future as a NBA player, but I'd like to see him giving it another try. Detroit is just not a good spot for that. Not really sure which team makes sense. Cleveland. The Warriors, perhaps.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    McGrady looked toasted last season. It seemed to me his legs aren't there any more. Couldn't create separation at all from his defender.

McGrady needs to go to a team where he has the playing time + touches to figure out if he has anything left. I don't like Detroit for him: I think Daye needs minutes, lots of minutes and increased responsibility. They already have Gordon+Stuckey+Bynum+Jerebko on the backcourt and then Rip+Prince. And an intriguing kid with role-player potential in Summers that I'd also like to see getting some minutes.

I'm very pessimistic about McGrady's future as a NBA player, but I'd like to see him giving it another try. Detroit is just not a good spot for that. Not really sure which team makes sense. Cleveland. The Warriors, perhaps.
    Memphis and New York are other teams
    Last edited by vnzla81; 08-09-2010 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Memphis and New York are other teams
    Other teams rumoured to be interested or that would be good fits?

Memphis maybe.. I'm not sure I like the idea, they already have too many scorer/shot-creators in the starting line-up + two wings like Xavier Henry and Tony Allen off the bench. Not sure of how good/ready Henry is. New York needs to focus on developing that Gallinari+Chandler+Azubuike rotation and to get lots of touches to Randolph. What about New Orleans if they trade Collison? Using him as a playmaker when Paul is resting. Toronto maybe.

I truly hope that TMac can get it all put together this season ..

Everyone I see on forums , talking how he is washed up , and how he is never gonna get healthy enough to be even half the player he was before his back and left knee injury/surgery..

But the thing I don't understand , is .....

The type of injury/surgery he had , Microfracture surgery I believe ...
    From what I seem to remember reading , doesn't that typically take 2 years to fully start to recover from/get back to normal?

If so , why is everyone so quick to jump the gun on TMac?
    I mean he really hasn't had a chance to play the majority of a season since he has been back , plus with the falling out he had with the Rockets front office , then getting traded to New York , and now to Detroit ..

I mean really , he hasn't gotten an ample chance TO get back to himself ..
    It's like , ever since he got injured , it was as if he got the Allen Iverson treatment of everyone avoiding him like the plague and treating him as if he was done ...

I don't think he has been given a fair shake to be honest.
    I also don't see him as being at the end of his career (talent-wise) in how he is able to play the game and meet the physical and mental demands it requires ..

Still think that if he is brought along slowly at the beginning of the season and about mid-season given more free reign and floor time , that he would do very well ..

But the thing is ... in order for it to work and work well in getting Tracy back to form .. there absolutely HAS TO BE a COMMITMENT between TMac , Detroit's coaching staff , trainers ,and his fellow team-mates in doing so .

Thus far , since coming back from injury and leaving Houston , It really appears like no one has even tried to make it work and show commitment to making sure he would work out and come back in game shape ..

Seems like he had no support system at all in the final days as a Rocket , nor during his time in New York..

I believe that IF he can get on a team that will give him a chance , (hopefully Detroit will)
    that we will see flashes of the old McGrady , and maybe see him fully return and somewhat pick up some semblance of where he left off before the injuries/surgeries..

Tracy just needs to be on a team that appreciates what he CAN bring , and be willing to put in that commitment to his conditioning ..

Last edited by Kemo; 08-09-2010 at 10:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38639776/ns/sports-nba

AP source: Pistons, McGrady agree to 1-year deal
    Rotoworld.com

By LARRY LAGE

updated 7 minutes ago
    DETROIT - A person familiar with the negotiations tells The Associated Press that Tracy McGrady has agreed to terms of a one-year contract with the Detroit Pistons.

The person, who spoke Tuesday on the condition of anonymity because the deal hasn't been announced, says McGrady will play for $1.3 million this season.

McGrady played in just 30 games last season for Houston and New York. He had major surgery on his right knee in the middle of the 2008-09 season.

The seven-time All-Star and two-time scoring champion drew some interest from the Chicago Bulls this summer.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't really understand this signing by the Pistons. At best, it makes them a fringe playoff team. Is that going to be good enough for a fan base that has become spoiled by success over the last decade?

It feels to me like they're trying to plug a hole...but there are too many holes to prevent the ship from sinking. It's time to rebuild.

Well, he's not really Tracy McGrady anymore, he's a faint shadow.

Last year 8.2 points on 38% shooting in 30 games. 3.3 assists and 3.1 rebounds isn't horrible, I guess.

I don't think he has any positive impact, maybe a negative one actually. It makes no sense to add a wing to a team that only has wings. It just seems like a publicity stunt for whoever signed him. And thats even before mentioning the whisperings that he's not in shape and couldn't even complete workouts recently.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Sources: Pistons mulling Tracy McGrady (update: He has signed with DET)

I think theres a trade in the works. Maybe Prince is gonna be dealt.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

Default Re: Sources: Pistons mulling Tracy McGrady (update: He has signed with DET)

Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    I think theres a trade in the works. Maybe Prince is gonna be dealt.
    Makes you wonder, since I thought one of things that T Mac wanted was minutes. He looks like the 5th or 6th wing on the current roster.

Edit, it is a low risk move, so I don't think it is that big a deal other than his name.
    Last edited by Speed; 08-10-2010 at 11:52 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I don't really understand this signing by the Pistons. At best, it makes them a fringe playoff team. Is that going to be good enough for a fan base that has become spoiled by success over the last decade?
    It feels to me like they're trying to plug a hole...but there are too many holes to prevent the ship from sinking. It's time to rebuild
    So u are saying that they want to be like the Pacers? that would really sucks if I was a Pistons fan.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 08-10-2010 at 12:44 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As I said before, minimum deal, no biggie.

Arnie Kander is our ace in the hole as far as these matters are concerned.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

1) Just strange that Detroit signed him, not seeing how it works, basketball-wise.
    2) T-Mac for 1.2 mil. That's just crazy to me. I know he's bee injured a lot, but he's 31. My how the mighty have fallen. I, for one, think he could possibly have more in the tank if they can get his body back together. Never understood why he was falling apart all the time, most injury-prone young dude I ever saw.

But not seeing how this is going to work in Detroit's system.

For Detroit's part, ya this not a big deal at all for the price they got him for.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.