View Poll Results: Is Tamika the most complete players in the WNBA?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 83.33%
  • No

1 16.67%
  • Name Another Player

0 0%

Thread: Who do you think is the Most Complete Players in the WNBA?

Default Who do you think is the Most Complete Players in the WNBA?

I was looking over a few WNBA stats the other day and a thought occurred to me...

Of all the players currently in the WNBA, I can't think of another player who performs better on both sides of the ball than Tamika Catchings. It's really not biasness on my part. I've watched a few WNBA games over the last 3 years and I really don't see a more complete player out there.

Catchings' offense has been very consistent over the years, she's a damned good shot blocker, she has very active hands and leads the WNBA in steals, she puts up very good assist numbers and is a good free throw shooter. But when the game is on the line and her team needs her, very few players are capable of putting their team on their shoulders and coming through in the clutch with either a steal, a block, a perfect pass, a rebound or the much needed score. She does it all!

So, I was wondering if I'm off base or is there another WNBA player out there who fits the bill better?

Catchings' stats can be viewed here.
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 08-20-2010 at 09:59 AM.

Default Re: Who do you think is the Most Complete Players in the WNBA?

Bill Lambier

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You've got it right, NuffSaid.

Friday Catch became the only player in league history to tally 4,500 points, 2,000 rebounds and 1,000 assists. She will retire as the best defensive player of all time and hold the record for steals. That pretty much answers the most complete player question.

Kevin Messenger wrote a pretty good piece on why it's time to finally give the MVP to Catchings:

http://www.indysportsnation.com/spor...,3274816.story
    Last edited by gummy; 08-08-2010 at 01:55 PM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Catch needs to work on her turnovers, especially on passes, but other than that I think she's got to be the top contender.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

I think Taurasi's the best in the league. But it's really hard to say "most complete player." She's easily the best offensive player, in all ways (passing, play making, scoring, shooting tough shots ect..) Defensively, she's about average, although her team is a terrible defensive team.

I think "most complete" would probably Come between Taurasi, Lauren Jackson, and Tamika Catchings.

Mood

Taurasi and Jackson are terrific players. They are both better offensive players than Catchings. But I don't think they are on the same level as Catch when we're talking about "most complete"player. I don't even think it's close.

Catchings is the only player in WNBA history to rank in the top 10 in scoring, rebounding, assists, steals, and blocks in a single season and she has done it twice. This dominance on both ends of the floor has been consistent over her entire career - as previously mentioned she is the first player in history to record 4,500 points, 2,000 rebounds and 1,000 assists and will retire as the all-time leader in steals. Nobody else in the WNBA is on pace to match those totals. Top that all off with the fact that she can take over a game with skill and/or intensity when needed and shut down the best opposing player, and I actually think she doesn't get her due as one of the very best in league precisely because she is so good in every area.

This season she is in the top 15 in points (6th), rebounds (9th), assists (13th), FG% (12th), 3pt FG% (10th), FT% (15th), steals (1st), blocks (11th). But she's not in the top 15 in minutes per game (19th). I think that says a lot.

Three time Defensive MVP (looks pretty likely that she'll win that again this season). In the top 5 of MVP balloting 7 of 8 active seasons (top three 4 of 8).

That's not to say she doesn't have flaws and she is not the most unstoppable offensive force in the league (though she's pretty much the most efficient this season) but I just don't see how anyone else is close to that level of all-around dominance and it is crazy cakes that she has yet to win an MVP award.

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

I think it depends on what you mean by most complete.

Yes, she gets more assists than LJ and More rebounds than Taurasi. But both of their offensive games are much more complete than Catchings. And LJ isn't too far behind defensively.

Still, it's an interesting question. I think statistically, it's obviously no question, it goes to Catch. But I think there are good arguments beyond stats with the other two.

Mood

No question, there are arguments beyond stats for the other two. There are also arguments beyond stats for Catch so as far as I am concerned, she stays ahead of them.

No question DT is the best offensive player in the game right now. I don't think the gap on offensive between DT and Catch is quite as big as the gap on defense between them.

I think LJ is closer to Catch in terms of most complete player than Diana is.

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No question, there are arguments beyond stats for the other two. There are also arguments beyond stats for Catch so as far as I am concerned, she stays ahead of them.

No question DT is the best offensive player in the game right now. I don't think the gap on offensive between DT and Catch is quite as big as the gap on defense between them.

I think LJ is closer to Catch in terms of most complete player than Diana is.
    I think it's about the same actually. *Defense vs Offense for Catch and Dee*

I think that actually, Catch's offense is underrated, and Taurasi's defense is underrated. Taurasi's team doesn't play defense in the regular season though, people have to keep that in mind when comparing. When she plays defense she's actually pretty good. She actually defends Lauren Jackson as good as anyone, which is saying something for someone her size.

LJ, better than Catch on offense, and better than Dee on defense. So put a gun to my head, between the three, I might actually end up with LJ.