Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Isiah Thomas rejoins the Knicks as consultant

Default Re: Isiah Thomas rejoins the Knicks as consultant

I knew there was something fishy about Isiah coming back, it made no sense at all. Doland is crazy for doing bringing him back. I would be upset too if I was Walsh.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Zeus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At the risk of incurring a wrath of hate comments, I'm not so sure this board has IT pegged correctly. I'm just sayin'. As I recall the Knicks were a mess when he went there. He isn't the sole reason the Knicks had a high payroll and an accumulation of bad contracts. Again, I'm just sayin'. That doesn't mean I want him to take a role with the Pacers nor IU. Again, I'm just sayin'. The point of this comment, why is this board wasting it's collective breath on Thomas? Seems to me, the Pacers aren't exactly a model franchise, either. We have less-than-playoff caliber talent and a mediocre coach who's style confounds many of us. The front office is tone-deaf with regard to the team's needs (the 2010 draft, for example, in which the Pacers took a 'project' at the ten spot when it has crying needs at every position except the 3). If anyone feels the need to tee-off on an organization or an individual, why not direct the ire where a voice might do some good?
    You should do some reading up on what he did with/to the CBA when he was put in charge of it.
    You wouldn't want him within a mile of your organization if you knew what went on there..

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If Isiah can get a job I am pretty certain I can also.

Where do I send my resume?

Walsh can come back to Indiana.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Wouldn't that be a conflict of interest for a college coach to be helping a professional sports team do "recruiting"?

streets ahead

James Dolan learned nothing from NBC. I guess this means Donnie will get a show on TBS, too...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Or Isiah has some dirt on him I mean really why?!
    That is the only answer I can think of. Nothing Isiah did at NY warrants him being brought back even as a consultant. Sure NY was on a plane and gradually descending into mediocrity, but then Isiah took the controls and went into a 90% nose dive.

I have to laugh at NY fans who were all pissed at Lebron for not going to NY. Here is a prime example why you would have to be a blithering idiot to even entertain the thought of going to that hell hole.

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    That is the only answer I can think of. Nothing Isiah did at NY warrants him being brought back even as a consultant. Sure NY was on a plane and gradually descending into mediocrity, but then Isiah took the controls and went into a 90% nose dive.

I have to laugh at NY fans who were all pissed at Lebron for not going to NY. Here is a prime example why you would have to be a blithering idiot to even entertain the thought of going to that hell hole.
    Apparently the Knicks sent Isiah to help recruit LeBron. And as hard as it is to believe if he had joined the Knicks after that it would be a dumber decision than well "The Decision"

Apparently the Knicks sent Isiah to help recruit LeBron.
    That cannot be true.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Apparently the Knicks sent Isiah to help recruit LeBron. And as hard as it is to believe if he had joined the Knicks after that it would be a dumber decision than well "The Decision"
    You cannot be serious. The Knicks actually sent him to recruit Lebron? No wonder he blew them off.

Believe it

James Dolan sent Isiah Thomas to make the New York Knicks' last pitch to LeBron James
    BY Frank Isola
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Originally Published:Thursday, July 8th 2010, 4:35 PM
    Updated: Friday, July 9th 2010, 1:46 AM

Sladky/APThe Knicks outsource the job of selling LeBron James on New York to Isiah Thomas (a.), a former president who was fired two years ago following a sexual harassment trial. Take our PollLeBron's rotten apple
    How will you react when LeBron James comes to Madison Square Garden to play the Knicks?

Boo, he's a sellout and could have been King of New York
    Cheer, watching greatness always deserves a round of applause
    I stopped going to Knicks games a long time ago

Related NewsArticlesIsiah says he is not aiming for GM job with KnicksWalsh nearly resigned from Knicks upon learning of hiring of Isiah Isola: Time for Donnie to ditch Dolan, KnicksObama family reunion - Sasha and Michelle return from SpainWhen the Knicks knew they needed to make one final desperate plea to bring LeBron James to New York, James Dolan called upon his most trusted basketball executive to carry out the order.

Isiah Thomas.

In a bizarre twist to what has been a surreal eight days in the recruitment of James, the Knicks out-sourced the job of selling James on New York to a former president who was fired two years ago following a sexual harassment trial.

The News has learned that Dolan, the Chairman of Madison Square Garden, made the decision to send Thomas instead of head coach Mike D'Antoni. That move suggests that Dolan felt his team's initial presentation to James last Thursday fell flat. It also suggests that Thomas still has influence within the organization, and it raises questions about whether Dolan still has faith in team president Donnie Walsh and D'Antoni.

Walsh was responsible for clearing salary-cap space that gave the Knicks a chance to sign James. As for D'Antoni, his presence as Knicks coach was supposed to give the club an advantage in luring some of the top players to New York because of his involvement with Team USA.

Dolan, Walsh and D'Antoni were present when the Knicks sat face-to-face with James on July 1 in Cleveland. Two days later, the team sent Garden president Scott O'Neil and Vice President of Basketball Operations Glen Grunwald back to Ohio to meet with James' agent, Leon Rose.

But when the Knicks became aware that they trailed the Heat and Cavs to sign James, the organization brain-stormed and decided it needed to sit down with James' camp one final time. D'Antoni was the natural choice to fly to Ohio, but Dolan had other ideas. "He wanted Isiah," said a Knicks official. "That was Dolan's master plan. Mike was supposed to go to Ohio, but Jim wanted Isiah."

The Knicks would not comment on Thomas' trip to Akron, but a team source said that Thomas never spoke directly to the Cavs free agent but instead had a meeting with one of James' advisers. During Thursday's press conference to introduce Amar'e Stoudemire, Walsh stunned some in the audience when he thanked Thomas for helping the club. According to a source, it was Dolan who suggested to Walsh that he mention the man he replaced as team president.

Thomas is currently the head coach of Florida International University, a position he accepted after spending one year as an adviser to Walsh.

Had Thomas not joined the college ranks, Dolan was prepared to keep him employed by the club in a scouting role. But having Thomas involved in the chase for James sends mixed messages to the player as well as those in the organization who spent the last two years preparing for the 2010 free agent recruiting period.

"The guy doesn't even work for the team and he's the one talking to LeBron's people on behalf of the Knicks? That's incredible," said one opposing team executive. "Did they really think that would help them?"

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz0w7WwFCJk

That is seriously messed up.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

why hasn't donnie resigned yet? sounds like he's seriously being undermined by dolan and thomas. with his track record, he should be able to get another front office job somewhere.

I think Donnie has all BUT resigned. My guess is there is either some negotiation of a buyout going on or a back door handshake deal allowing both parties to save face and Donnie to collect his money. Even though Donnie made it clear form the get go that he would be commuting back and forth to New York from Indy, I guessing as paranoid as Dolan is, he tired of it and needed the ONLY guy who sees things his way around as much as possible. Enter Isaiah. I think the real story is he re-hired IT while Donnie was out of town as a way of saying "well your not here so.....". Pure speculation on my part, but I'm guessing somewhere close to the truth.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Isiah has formally turned down the job (after the commissioner met with him)

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=5456334