Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Isiah Thomas rejoins the Knicks as consultant

Default Isiah Thomas rejoins the Knicks as consultant

Too. Many. Jokes

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=5442858

Isiah Thomas rejoins Knicks; still at FIUEmail Print Comments55 Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Isiah Thomas is back in the New York Knicks organization as a consultant, two years after he was fired as coach and team president.

The Knicks announced Thomas' role Friday, saying he would "assist the team's senior management in various capacities, including player recruitment."

Thomas

He assisted the team in that area during free agency, when the Knicks landed Amare Stoudemire. He also was sent to Ohio to talk to representatives from LeBron James, who eventually signed with Miami.

Team president Donnie Walsh thanked Thomas during the press conference for Stoudemire, sparking reports that Thomas would return to the organization, perhaps even as general manager.

Thomas, a Hall of Famer with the Detroit Pistons, had a dismal run as team president from December 2003-April 2008, with the Knicks missing the playoffs every year despite often having the league's highest payroll. He was also the coach the final two seasons, getting dismissed after a 23-59 season in 2007-08.

Despite losing hundreds of games and a sexual harassment lawsuit brought by a former team employee that cost the organization $11.6 million, Thomas has remained close to Madison Square Garden chairman James Dolan and Walsh even while coaching Florida International University, a job he will keep.

"I'm excited to once again be a part of the New York Knicks organization," Thomas said in a statement. "I was honored to have been asked to help during the recent free agent recruiting process, and believe that this new role takes full advantage of my skill set as an evaluator of basketball talent."

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Isiah Thomas rejoins the Knicks as consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're right... The jokes practically write themselves!!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Amazing. The Pacers just moved up one spot in the East without playing a single game.

Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    Amazing. The Pacers just moved up one spot in the East without playing a single game.
    I wouldn't be so sure. I think Donnie wants to run his ideas by Thomas, and if Thomas is in agreement, then Donnie will know to move in a different direction.

I'm sure this method will work out much better for Donnie than a coin toss or a Ouijie board.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure. I think Donnie wants to run his ideas by Thomas, and if Thomas is in agreement, then Donnie will know to move in a different direction.

I'm sure this method will work out much better for Donnie than a coin toss or a Ouijie board.
    Otherwise known as the George Constanza method

Sports Logo

Zeke's first recommendation to DW it so sign Fred Jones to a multi-year contract then make a run for Tayshaun Prince.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I think we just found out where amazing is going to happen this year.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btowncolt For This Useful Post:

Isiah and the owner are very close

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

Does this mean the Knicks are open for business to take bad long term contracts again?

I wonder how much longer Donnie will be with the Knicks?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Just blows my mind, Dolan must really love Isiah.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

I thought he was coaching? I don't try to keep up with Isiah, but I thought he liked coaching. Ugh. This guy sees that NY is looking good and needs to ruin it.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Staverman View Post
    Does this mean the Knicks are open for business to take bad long term contracts again?
    I think the Pacers just found a new trade partner. At least for the bad contracts part.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Consultant can mean a lot of different things

Quote Originally Posted by odeez View Post
    Just blows my mind, Dolan must really love Isiah.
    Or Isiah has some dirt on him I mean really why?!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Championship.

Oddly enough, IT is going to stay at FIU and do this gig.

FIU was 7-25 or something like that last year. If I was the AD there I wouldn't be too happy that my head coach decided to take a second job.
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Banned

At the risk of incurring a wrath of hate comments, I'm not so sure this board has IT pegged correctly. I'm just sayin'. As I recall the Knicks were a mess when he went there. He isn't the sole reason the Knicks had a high payroll and an accumulation of bad contracts. Again, I'm just sayin'. That doesn't mean I want him to take a role with the Pacers nor IU. Again, I'm just sayin'. The point of this comment, why is this board wasting it's collective breath on Thomas? Seems to me, the Pacers aren't exactly a model franchise, either. We have less-than-playoff caliber talent and a mediocre coach who's style confounds many of us. The front office is tone-deaf with regard to the team's needs (the 2010 draft, for example, in which the Pacers took a 'project' at the ten spot when it has crying needs at every position except the 3). If anyone feels the need to tee-off on an organization or an individual, why not direct the ire where a voice might do some good?

Mood

How long before we start hearing rumors about the Knicks wanting to buy out Marbury's contract from China to bring him back?

At the risk of incurring a wrath of hate comments, I'm not so sure this board has IT pegged correctly. I'm just sayin'. As I recall the Knicks were a mess when he went there. He isn't the sole reason the Knicks had a high payroll and an accumulation of bad contracts. Again, I'm just sayin'. That doesn't mean I want him to take a role with the Pacers nor IU. Again, I'm just sayin'. The point of this comment, why is this board wasting it's collective breath on Thomas? Seems to me, the Pacers aren't exactly a model franchise, either. We have less-than-playoff caliber talent and a mediocre coach who's style confounds many of us. The front office is tone-deaf with regard to the team's needs (the 2010 draft, for example, in which the Pacers took a 'project' at the ten spot when it has crying needs at every position except the 3). If anyone feels the need to tee-off on an organization or an individual, why not direct the ire where a voice might do some good?

Welcome to the board Mr. Thomas!
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny

26. The Following User Says Thank You to MrSparko For This Useful Post:

I'm surprised Isiah actually accepted the job.

Especially since he was nearly chanced out of town by Knick fans as a coach.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knick...BqzS3vtJDZu7VP

Mike Berman
    NY Post

Knicks president Donnie Walsh is livid that Isiah Thomas is back in the organization and feels his standing with the franchise could be compromised by owner James Dolan's decision to rehire Thomas, The Post has learned.
    According to a Knicks source, Walsh told Thomas in a face-to-face meeting two weeks ago he did not want him working for the organization. Dolan and Thomas had agreed that Thomas could fill the team's general manager vacancy if Walsh was OK with it.
    When Walsh told Thomas he objected, Thomas went back to Dolan, who still has a love affair with the Hall of Famer and seemingly is on a mission to rehab Thomas' image.

AP
    AGAINST HIS WILL: Donnie Walsh did not want Isiah Thomas (above during less contentious days as Pacers co-workers) re-hired by the Knicks, The Post has learned, but Thomas and owner James Dolan went behind his back to concoct a consultant role, which was decried on yesterday's Post back page.

Without Walsh's knowledge, Dolan and Thomas hatched a scheme in which Thomas could become a part-time consultant while remaining the coach at Florida International. (The NBA is reviewing whether the arrangement violates NBA rules on scouting procedures.)
    Walsh, who had thought the Isiah issue was dead, was not debriefed until after the hiring was agreed upon, and he reluctantly put his name on a joint statement with Dolan. It was only recently that Walsh found out Thomas had been in Dolan's ear for months, offering free advice.
    Some of Dolan's top advisors, including Garden president Hank Ratner, tried to talk Dolan out of naming Thomas as a consultant because of the public-relations backlash.
    "Donnie doesn't want him there, nobody wants him there but Dolan," the team source said. "Isiah seems to have Jim wrapped around his finger."
    Walsh was supposed to have full control of basketball operations when he was hired in 2008, but this incident shows that is not entirely true. Walsh also has tried to hire former Pacers Mel Daniels and Chris Mullin for front-office roles, but has been denied.
    The Post reported 2 weeks ago that Dolan met with Thomas at the Garden's offices at 2 Penn Plaza for hours. Walsh, at the time, said he was unaware of the meeting. In a Post interview Friday, Walsh admitted he was not involved in negotiations about Thomas' new consulting position.
    Friday's announcement, predictably, has Knicks fans seething, putting a damper on what had been a decent summer, considering LeBron James' snub. The Knicks added five-time All-Star Amar'e Stoudemire, Raymond Felton and Anthony Randolph with a chance of tacking on Carmelo Anthony in 2011.
    Walsh is in Indiana with his 12 grandchildren and did not return phone calls yesterday.
    Walsh said Friday he is not hiring a GM, but Thomas' ultimate goal is to grab that position on the way to taking charge of basketball operations once again. Walsh has one guaranteed year left on his contract, but by making this move Dolan has usurped Walsh's authority.
    If the NBA voids the Thomas contract, Dolan would have no choice but abide by Walsh's wishes or fire Walsh, who has had health issues this summer, injuring his hip and undergoing neck surgery that put him in a wheelchair.
    Last month, The Post's Peter Vecsey reported Walsh possibly would retire this summer. Walsh repeatedly has denied he has any intention of retiring. Thomas has four years left on his FIU contract, but he is not expected to stay that long. Thomas perhaps realizes the Miami school will be even more overshadowed in the coming years with the advent of the Heat's Dream Team. Thomas was already lobbying for a GM job in comments made Friday to ESPN.com.
    As The Post reported yesterday, Thomas boasted to a confidant two summers ago he would one day run the Knicks again and just needed time to repair his image.
    During the press conference to introduce Stoudemire, Walsh thanked Thomas for his help in the recruiting process. But some in the organization believe Thomas had absolutely no influence on Stoudemire's decision. The Knicks' spin is Thomas can help them in the 2011 and 2012 free agency to recruit Anthony and Chris Paul, the star Hornets point guard who considers Thomas one of his idols.

Dolan is a freakin' nutjob.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to JB24 For This Useful Post:

Wow, that is nutty.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!