View Poll Results: Who should this team build around?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Granger

17 27.87%
  • Hibbert

24 39.34%
  • The rookies

7 11.48%
  • A free agent that we land next summer

9 14.75%
  • Jim O'Brien

4 6.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who should this team build around?

Default Who should this team build around?

I say Hibbert. I know Granger is currently our "star" and I'm as stoked as anyone about the PG/Lance/Rolle, but I think that in a couple of years Hibbs will emerge as our true franchise player.

I could be wrong of course. Thoughts?
    Last edited by bphil; 08-05-2010 at 01:26 PM.

Default Re: Who should this team build around?

I wanted badly to say Hibbert, but it's Danny.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wanted badly to say Hibbert, but it's Danny.
    i wanted badly to say Hibbert or Danny, but its gonna be OB anyhow..At least thats how it feels after the last couple of slumps.
    Proud owner of 'Dutch Pacers'

Some of you think I don't like Roy, so my comment will probably be discounted. But Roy is not good enough to build a team around, not even close. Granger is the best player we have, so team needs to be built around him (I'm not suggesting he's good enough either though)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I dispute the premise that a team must be built around one single player. The ideal is a balanced attack among three players, with two other specializing in rebounding or defense.

It's not a question of Danny or Roy. It is a question of Danny and Roy and who else?
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    I dispute the premise that a team must be built around one single player. The ideal is a balanced attack among three players, with two other specializing in rebounding or defense.

It's not a question of Danny or Roy. It is a question of Danny and Roy and who else?
    I'll go a step further and suggest the first thing we need to decide upon is whether Danny and Roy in tandom are good enough building blocks and if we suggest they are, what is needed at the power forward, shooting guard and point guard to make this a good team.

I contend with the right point guard and power forward and a little maturing this could be an excellent team.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Neither.

If either of these two guys are your best player, you're not a very good team.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

I dislike the idea of building around one player. You have to have a really elite player to do that. And we don't have a Kobe or Lebron.

I personally like the "building around three key players" idea. I do think Granger and Roy are on par with Ray, Pierce, and Garnett. (Key thing being they are about the same as the older versions of these guys. Obviously they were all better in their prime) So I'd say find another guy on their level, whether it's a wing, PF, or PG. And then find pieces that fit in the other two positions. (Perhaps, we already have those pieces.) But I do think we need one more elite piece.

That said, I'd like to see a season..or heck a month..of just playing the younger guys. Just to see what fits and what doesn't, and what we need to improve. Also to build chemistry. Just, IMO.

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

if we could add Horford next year, a "Big 3" frontcourt of Granger/Horford/Hibbert would be NICE and I think they would all 3 go together perfectly.

edit: I don't think Carl Landry would be too bad either if we wouldn't be able to get Horford.

and btw, I chose Hibbert. Good true centers are hard to come by, and we have a good one in Hibbert. I think this season will be a big one for Big Roy.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ChristianDudley For This Useful Post:

I voted for DG, but I agree with some of the others in saying that neither Hibbert or Danny is good enough to build around, though both are great pieces for the franchise. Maybe if we can get a superstar type player at the PF or PG position we would be able to make a little noise, but with the way NBA teams are winning titles these days, we are a long way off. The three superstar formula seems to be the way to go. So, for a small market team like the Pacers it is going to be hard. I guess it also depends what our expectations are and what the TPTB are willing to spend to get the right players in here. I remain hopeful that we will be able to get another player to add to what DG and Roy bring, that will at least get us into the playoffs, and from there anything can happen...
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Chris Paul
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DGPR For This Useful Post:

Getting Horford next year would absolutely go a long way in making this team a contender. In my opinion he is more valuable than either Granger or Hibbert.

In today's NBA, you don't really build around a center unless they're named Dwight Howard. Houston doesn't build around Yao, though that's mostly because of his health issues. Other promising centers like Oden and Bynum just can't stay healthy.

Granger's our best player, but with his play style....he should fit with just about any direction we go.

We should build TOWARD something, not around someone.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Ozwalt72 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post

Absolutely.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Oh and JOb is clearly the best answer.

Is this a trick question? It seems the trend nowadays is for every single NBA superstar to have one or two sidekicks that are or were superstar players, i.e. Celtics, LA, and now Miami. LB and Morway need to keep doing it the right way....assemble the best possible pieces using the draft, develop them, and then see what you need (and hopefully) trade for the missing piece or the missing piece wants to join your team. This is exactly what transpired with the Celtics, Lakers, and now Heat teams. If the Pacer's Lance and Paul pan out in 2-3 years (and I think they WILL), we'll have two budding superstar players to build around with our current (2nd tier superstar) Danny Granger. With Hibbert, Hans, Rush, and maybe even Rolle at the peak of their NBA careers and the Celtics and Lakers and Spurs way past their prime, we may be in the picture with Orlando and Atlanta to challenge the Heat for Eastern Conference supremacy and an NBA championship berth.

Banned

neither

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like Hibbert, a lot, but if he's your best player you're in big trouble. We need at least one or two more guys close to Danny's level for us to even think about being a contender. We might have one of them on the roster already, only time will tell.

Hibbert can be the 2nd or 3rd most important player on the team though, just because quality true centers are few and far between.
    "Just look at the flowers ...."

There is a distinct difference between the player you build around and the best player on the team. Yes the majority of the time they are the same player, but not always. Just because this team should build around Hibbert doesn't mean Hibbert is the best player on the team, it just means that he is a rare kind of player that is hard to find.

We don't need to build around one person.

The main core is Danny and Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwalt72 View Post
    Oh and JOb is clearly the best answer.
    I just spoke to coach O'Brien and he says this poll is irrelevant b/c Troy Murphy isn't an option

30. The Following User Says Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Where's Stanko option?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLanoaDKdDw

I MEAN COME ON.

woman without a team

I was going to complain about there being no "other" option, but then I realized I had no idea what the other option would be. Thank you Cooper for reminding me about Stanko. I can just here Stanko now. "STANKO ****** ME NOT LISTED AS OPTION IN SILLY LITTLE POLL."

I gotta go with Hibbert.

Mainly because I think he's the guy who the offense should run through. It's hard to find a big man with good passing ability. Hibbert has the potential to be a guy that consistently draws a double team and opens up the offense. I don't really ever see anyone double on Danny, probably because he settles for that pull up jumper way more than he should.

I just hope the rookies step up and contribute something this year and Bird can pull a little magic next summer to get a few more building blocks.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to thefeistyone For This Useful Post:

theres only a few players in the nba u build a team around.. but in this poll id say granger for sure, hibbert isnt as good as this forum makes him out to be.