Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How should I teach my 6 year old to play basketball the "right" way?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: How should I teach my 6 year old to play basketball the "right" way?

I always learned pretty quickly whenever this bad boy got brought out.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: How should I teach my 6 year old to play basketball the "right" way?

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...so as long as his kid grows to be 6'11," he's okay....
    I actually think the awesomely-bad cornrows are a bigger prerequisite than the height.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    I actually think the awesomely-bad cornrows are a bigger prerequisite than the height.
    I keep trying to find a picture of him standing flat footed on a "jump" shot, but those are rare. I found a picture of him jumping into a hook shot while playing in the post. I thought that would be even more rare.

Admittedly, that was during his UNC days.

There is one of him shooting over Chris Childs, but its a SI picture and I can't seem to link it. He's about three inches off the ground. You decide if that's "using his legs" or not.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    Its like we had different fathers or something. Mine coached sixth grade basketball/ sixth grade PE for a couple of decades and taught thousands of students how to shoot, dribble and pass. He'd say the opposite... as thier hands grow they can move into the larger size ball. If they can't control the ball with their fingertips (like Bird and Alford are doing in the pictures above) then the ball is too big. And yes, elementary school age kids can do these little things - when do you think Steve and Larry learned to do them? And if they can do them on a regulation-sized ball, great. If not, use a smaller one.

(And yes, every time he visits, I get griped at that my daughter is using a WNBA-sized ball instead of a smaller one... even though she can control it on her fingertips.)
    A child's hands do not have to be that big to control a basketball properly. So long as proper form is used and the ball comes off the wrist correctly, that's all you need.

And I also caution against trying to develop every shot out of a textbook. Are there proper guidelines to follow? Sure. But a jumper is like a golf swing. No two are alike. Staying within proper confines and developing something within them that is comfortable and works for you is the best way to go. Not every jumper has to be picturesque.

IMO, proper footwork is much, much more important than elbow placement. Maintaining a proper stance on your shot technique is the most effective way to get consistent results.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-02-2010 at 08:36 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

8 foot rim, 9 feet, 9.5 feet .................. plenty of great players learned the game before the adjustable rims were created. It's 10 feet if you're a 7 footer, 10 feet if you're 4 feet tall.

Just don't let him fall in love with chucking up 3 pointers. I know, it will eliminate him from playing on any JOB team, but I think you can live with that.

Midrange, ball handling, what the game is all about (5 guys - not 1) .......... and a 10 foot rim.

I remember what made me want to play was seeing guys like Billy Kellar, Rick Mount, George McGinnis, Ernie DiGregorio, Austin Carr, Pete Maravich play.

Youtube has lots of vintage Maravich clips. They are still amazing to watch. That dude had so many shots- scoops, floaters, hesitations, and a sweet jumper. Then he had 100 different passes.

Youtube has lots of Reggie stuff too, of course, and Bird.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

The right way...I'll have to consult with Norman Dale on this.

I guess a lot of it depends on your kid, what they are interested in, and learning style. Sounds silly, but it could help in what areas are learned the quickest.

If I could do it over again, I would've learned in this order:

1) Comfortably dribbling with either hand
    2) Developing a consistent shot
    3) Perfecting passes
    4) Learning to set screens, picks

Outside of that, I'd try to teach as much as possible about playing without the ball as long as your kid is interested. The best thing I learned early on was defense....staying between my guy and the goal post, making my opponent uncomfortable, knowing when to go for steals, etc. I could go on and on....
    Last edited by imawhat; 08-03-2010 at 01:56 AM.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Promise her that the game is fun.

And then keep that promise by actually making the game fun. All the time.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Promise her that the game is fun.

And then keep that promise by actually making the game fun. All the time.
    This. A thousand times, this.

Children learn best when they don't realize they are learning. Make every lesson into a game, and they should absorb it quickly.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo

Thanks all. I decided to lower it to 9 feet for now and will stick with the regular Spalding Pacers basketball. I'm gonna have to watch more of those Pete Maravich videos on YouTube. I definitely have to work on his dribbling and passing more. I'm gonna try my best to make it more fun for him...but as many of you know....when it comes to be a Dad and sports....that's not always easy.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.