Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: Sleepy eyed Pacers wait for star to lead them

  1. #1
    Release Psycho T pwee31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,158

    Default Sleepy eyed Pacers wait for star to lead them

    http://www.nba.com/2010/news/feature...medium=twitter

    Their inactivity this summer gave new meaning to the term "Naptown," the unflattering nickname slapped on Indianapolis and its lack of cosmopolitan nightlife.

    While the rest of the league was swept up in the free agent and trading whirlwind, remaking on the fly, the Pacers groggily rolled over, yawned and copped some Zs. It wasn't necessarily their choice to count sheep, but given the realities of their situation, what's a strapped salary-capped team supposed to do?

    It's a pretty boring existence, being in the Pacers' world. The franchise is still sweeping up the debris caused by the Malice at the Palace six years ago. Suffocated by a handful of long and expensive contracts which came as a result, the Pacers have been stuck in a holding pattern since the latter half of the decade. They're unwilling to deal with the luxury tax, mainly because it won't make them winners and justify the bottom line. Conseco Fieldhouse, easily the best arena in basketball, sadly lacks passion because the Pacers are trapped in neutral.

    And they must sit tight this upcoming season, refusing to add significant payroll while waiting for $38 million in bad contracts to vanish next summer.
    Doesn't this sound like what the Knicks just went through? Just substitute "Isiah Thomas" for the Malice and it is exactly the kind of life the Knicks led until they were finally awakened by free agency, which arrived like a cold shower. There's no fun in waiting with your nose pressed against the glass, watching others frolic toward a new season. It's almost like life is passing you by Danny Granger, the Pacers' only All-Star, must sacrifice another year in his prime for a team in transition. Larry Bird, the beleaguered general manager, is mostly handcuffed, unable to do anything until next summer, unwilling to go for the quick fix.

    Bird recently was non-committal about his future; his contract runs through next summer. His only goal is to improve the team for the next GM, or for himself if he sticks around. Jim O'Brien, the coach, has the backing of Bird but you wonder if he'll be the right coach for a remade team. So there's no promise of stability regarding the front office beyond this season.

    Making matters even murkier, the league's labor negotiations could throw a wrench into any grand plans the Pacers might have. And anyway, the summer of 2011 will hardly be a free-agent bonanza. Other than Carmelo Anthony -- and don't expect him to give Indy much thought -- the pickings are slim.

    So this is what it has come to, for the Pacers: Pray for steady development from the young players on the roster, wait for the six players on their roster (Mike Dunleavy Jr., T.J. Ford, Jeff Foster, Solomon Jones, Josh McRoberts and Troy Murphy) to come off the books next summer, hope to hit it big in next summer's Draft and try to add a piece or two through the trade market.
    Above all, ask a restless fan base for more patience.

    The Pacers need to stockpile assets, which won't happen unless two or three young players have a breakout season. Can Roy Hibbert overcome clumsiness to emerge as a defensive presence? Is Tyler Hansbrough the impact player he was at North Carolina, or is he a pick-setter in the NBA? When will A.J. Price heal from his unfortunate off-season injury, and is he a starting point guard in the NBA? Does Paul George, the first-round pick, need a few years of growth or can he make the All-Rookie team? Just the same, did the Pacers get a steal in Lance Stephenson, or do his past character issues make him a public relations risk?

    This is a star-driven league and until someone on the roster proves otherwise, the Pacers are made up of Granger, role players and bad contracts. Perhaps the one player who'll make a difference, who'll snap the franchise out of its lifeless slumber, isn't on the roster yet. And if that's the case, when does he arrive?
    Indianapolis isn't exactly a choice destination for an A-list free agent with options. The question, then: Is Bird the right man for the overhaul? Or do the Pacers thank him for his effort and find somebody else next July?
    His performance record is mixed, although to be fair, he was dealt a bad hand by mixed martial artists Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson, then by Jermaine O'Neal's massive contract. And once Donnie Walsh left for the Knicks and Bird went solo, his track record brightens.

    Whether it's Bird or someone else, the next moves made by the Pacers must awaken a sleepy franchise. Problem is, the hibernation must wait another 12 months. Or more.
    Naptown better grab a pillow and a blanket. This could take awhile
    .

  2. #2
    Stay focused SMosley21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Going the distance
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,534

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sleepy eyed Pacers wait for star to lead them

    At least he gave us props for Conseco being "easily the best arena in basketball".
    Grown Man Ball

  3. #3
    Member pacers74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Plainfield
    Posts
    2,288

    Default Re: Sleepy eyed Pacers wait for star to lead them

    I don't think we just sat by while all of the frenzy went on. TPTB at least want us to think they have been contacting every team with a PG they covet. IT is just that no one will give us deal that Bird is willing to take. Hopefully this will work oput next summer.
    This seems like what the Jailblazers went through in the early 2000's, but it is taking us a lot longer to come out of it.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,943

    Default Re: Sleepy eyed Pacers wait for star to lead them

    Sometimes sleeping off the hangover is the best option.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Sleepy eyed Pacers wait for star to lead them

    Pretty much the most correct and objective summary of the team's situation I've read.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indyaway For This Useful Post:


  7. #6
    Member Pacers2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    395

    Default Re: Sleepy eyed Pacers wait for star to lead them

    quote-hope to hit it big in next summer's Draft.

    I hope we can get picks inreturn if we make some deals before the deadline. oklahoma hits it big every year in the draft. i want in on that action especially since next years draft looks to be more exciting then next years FA class.
    2012: Pacers return to glory

    Paul George All Day

  8. #7

    Default Re: Sleepy eyed Pacers wait for star to lead them

    Quote Originally Posted by indyaway View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty much the most correct and objective summary of the team's situation I've read.
    I disagree completely. We've played very hard until the end of the season (i.e. didn't tank the season as other unscrupulous franchises) and drafted pretty good players (no top 10 picks until this year) who are developing well. Add last year's draft pick (Hans) and this year's crop of 3 athletic and versatile college players, we're very close to being very competitive. LB has done better than other franchises especially those franchises that have tanked their season for a top 5 draft pick and they still have losing records.

    Yes, we've had BAD luck with Dun-Dun getting injured which cost him 2 seasons nearly and Danny missing extend time last year and Hans losing nearly all of last year. If anything, I'd like to see a Small Market Analysis to determine how we stack up against other small market NBA teams.

    And, remember this, we didn't have the luxury of NOT having a player lose it (a few years ago) which cost his team to incur the most player suspensions in the history of the NBA. Nor, did we have the luxury of 2-3 former or current All-Star players deciding to play together on a big market teams like Boston or Miami or have a former Lakers GM trade his best player (Gasol) from his current team (Memphis) to his former team which enabled this current Laker team to win back-to-back NBA titles.

    If the owners grow a brain (because the Commish has NO common sense or toughness), they could ensure the next CBA includes a stipulation or clause that allows NBA teams to franchise their 'franchise players' (see NFL franchise rule) to prevent big market teams from getting a competitive advantage over the smaller market teams due to their sunny location or larger market audience or owner's deeper pockets (who get somewhat reimbursed from worldwide fans in their extremely large markets).
    Last edited by TooBigNdaPaint; 07-31-2010 at 06:06 PM.

  9. #8
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    54
    Posts
    11,482

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sleepy eyed Pacers wait for star to lead them

    If a tree falls in a forest... er ... if trade calls are made but no trade comes of it, were the calls really made?

    Too many people confuse "no results" with "no effort".
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  11. #9
    The Ancient One woowoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    8
    Posts
    301

    Default Re: Sleepy eyed Pacers wait for star to lead them

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sometimes sleeping off the hangover is the best option.
    Right On... Making a move just to make a move is....... the reason Indiana is in the position it is in now.

    I love the job Bird is doing thus far......

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woowoo For This Useful Post:


  13. #10
    The Ancient One woowoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    8
    Posts
    301

    Default Re: Sleepy eyed Pacers wait for star to lead them

    Quote Originally Posted by TooBigNdaPaint View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree completely. We've played very hard until the end of the season (i.e. didn't tank the season as other unscrupulous franchises) and drafted pretty good players (no top 10 picks until this year) who are developing well. Add last year's draft pick (Hans) and this year's crop of 3 athletic and versatile college players, we're very close to being very competitive. LB has done better than other franchises especially those franchises that have tanked their season for a top 5 draft pick and they still have losing records.

    Yes, we've had BAD luck with Dun-Dun getting injured which cost him 2 seasons nearly and Danny missing extend time last year and Hans losing nearly all of last year. If anything, I'd like to see a Small Market Analysis to determine how we stack up against other small market NBA teams.

    And, remember this, we didn't have the luxury of NOT having a player lose it (a few years ago) which cost his team to incur the most player suspensions in the history of the NBA. Nor, did we have the luxury of 2-3 former or current All-Star players deciding to play together on a big market teams like Boston or Miami or have a former Lakers GM trade his best player (Gasol) from his current team (Memphis) to his former team which enabled this current Laker team to win back-to-back NBA titles.

    If the owners grow a brain (because the Commish has NO common sense or toughness), they could ensure the next CBA includes a stipulation or clause that allows NBA teams to franchise their 'franchise players' (see NFL franchise rule) to prevent big market teams from getting a competitive advantage over the smaller market teams due to their sunny location or larger market audience or owner's deeper pockets (who get somewhat reimbursed from worldwide fans in their extremely large markets).
    Yes.... a franchise tag situation and a hard cap must happen or this league is "doomed"....

  14. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,604

    Default Re: Sleepy eyed Pacers wait for star to lead them

    Quote Originally Posted by TooBigNdaPaint View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the owners grow a brain (because the Commish has NO common sense or toughness), they could ensure the next CBA includes a stipulation or clause that allows NBA teams to franchise their 'franchise players' (see NFL franchise rule) to prevent big market teams from getting a competitive advantage over the smaller market teams due to their sunny location or larger market audience or owner's deeper pockets (who get somewhat reimbursed from worldwide fans in their extremely large markets).
    Or they could increase the benefits of re-signing with your current team over another. Bigger annual raises, some kind of signing bonus....something.

    Or when they shrink the cap they can have the max contract be worth a LARGER percent of the total. Which would theoretically restrict the range of players that get a max contract and make it impractical for someone to acquire a Wade, Lebron, Bosh style lineup because they wouldn't have the room for Haslem and Miller.

    If the max contract was worth a bigger % of the total cap, there would be player movement, but it would be different. The top players wouldn't be able to all sign with one team, instead they'd go to the teams that have that MAX room.

    Of course, shorter contracts would also need to be in effect to protect the teams and the product...

  15. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    684

    Default Re: Sleepy eyed Pacers wait for star to lead them

    What was so great about that spending frenzy? Miami obviously got its stars, but a lot of the teams that wrote those big checks are going to look very foolish over time. Some players were massively overpaid. I actually greatly prefer Bird's discipline.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyPacer For This Useful Post:


  17. #13
    The Nite Owl LA_Confidential's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    1,542

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sleepy eyed Pacers wait for star to lead them

    Bird Is The Guy. He's A Winner. Always Has Been, Always Will Be. He Will Be Here For A While.

    He's Been Hard Nosed And True To HIS Plan Which Is To Continue To Stock Assets In Order To Make This Team A Contender.

    Our #1 Asset As Fans Is To Remain Patient And Watch The Bafoonery Thats Happening With These GM's Signing Bums Like Amir Johnson for $34Mil.

    JOB Is A Different Story. He Will Get The Boot Early In The Season Lawrence Frank Style (Minus The 0-12 Record)

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:


  19. #14

    Default Re: Sleepy eyed Pacers wait for star to lead them

    Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    IT is just that no one will give us deal that Bird is willing to take.

    Or is it no one wants the garbage Bird is peddling? I have no doubt the FO is trying to make deals, but if other teams don't want what is being offered NO deal comes to fruitition. There just may be some truth in Kahn's statement about the Pacers trying to peddle garbage to the T-Wolves.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:


  21. #15
    The Ancient One woowoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    8
    Posts
    301

    Default Re: Sleepy eyed Pacers wait for star to lead them

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or is it no one wants the garbage Bird is peddling? I have no doubt the FO is trying to make deals, but if other teams don't want what is being offered NO deal comes to fruitition. There just may be some truth in Kahn's statement about the Pacers trying to peddle garbage to the T-Wolves.


    Ya... Minny is loaded down with "assets"...

  22. #16
    The Nite Owl LA_Confidential's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    1,542

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sleepy eyed Pacers wait for star to lead them

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or is it no one wants the garbage Bird is peddling? I have no doubt the FO is trying to make deals, but if other teams don't want what is being offered NO deal comes to fruitition. There just may be some truth in Kahn's statement about the Pacers trying to peddle garbage to the T-Wolves.
    .

    Sorry If This Isn't PC, But Kahn Is Retarded.

  23. #17
    Member BornReady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    2,740

    Default Re: Sleepy eyed Pacers wait for star to lead them

    hey guys I forget- why is Paul George #24?
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

  24. #18
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Sleepy eyed Pacers wait for star to lead them

    Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    hey guys I forget- why is Paul George #24?
    Because he's "2 much 4 you".

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  26. #19
    pacer fan since 88-89 Mr_Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis/Noblesville
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,497

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sleepy eyed Pacers wait for star to lead them

    Sadly....this article is very accurate except for the Indianapolis nightlife, which isn't that bad.
    And the walls came tumbling down.....

  27. #20

    Default Re: Sleepy eyed Pacers wait for star to lead them

    Quote Originally Posted by woowoo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    [/B]

    Ya... Minny is loaded down with "assets"...

    Yeah, so are the Pacers. Those great assets of the Pacers have had them in a flurry of trades this off season.

  28. #21
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sleepy eyed Pacers wait for star to lead them

    Or we could have gotten the nickname Naptown from the Nap which is right in the middle of IndiaNAPolis.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  29. #22

    Default Re: Sleepy eyed Pacers wait for star to lead them

    His performance record is mixed, although to be fair, he was dealt a bad hand by mixed martial artists Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson, then by Jermaine O'Neal's massive contract. And once Donnie Walsh left for the Knicks and Bird went solo, his track record brightens.

    I disagree, the one or two things Bird did will never compare to what Walsh did. I guarantee Walsh would have never took Hansbrough over the PGs that were available and it was implied that Bird drafted Shawne Williams.

  30. #23
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,953

    Default Re: Sleepy eyed Pacers wait for star to lead them

    I'm just marvelling at an article on NBA.com that tells us there is no reason to pay attention for the next year in such graphic terms. It's true, but I can't believe the PS&E sales department is happy to see something like this.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  31. #24
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,930

    Default Re: Sleepy eyed Pacers wait for star to lead them

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm just marvelling at an article on NBA.com that tells us there is no reason to pay attention for the next year in such graphic terms. It's true, but I can't believe the PS&E sales department is happy to see something like this.
    Maybe they are hoping PS&E can figure out the idea that if you're just going to do nothing with a bad team and coach that 'tanking' isn't such a bad way to make something out of this upcoming season for the last 100 or so remaining fans.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  32. #25
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,953

    Default Re: Sleepy eyed Pacers wait for star to lead them

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe they are hoping PS&E can figure out the idea that if you're just going to do nothing with a bad team and coach that 'tanking' isn't such a bad way to make something out of this upcoming season for the last 100 or so remaining fans.
    Well, at least he didn't say we should pull a Miami and just let everyone go.

    Crap, hope I didn't just cost everyone their job.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Similar Threads

  1. The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 09-02-2013, 05:30 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-21-2010, 09:41 AM
  3. Wages of Wins Pacers Preview
    By OakMoses in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-28-2008, 12:33 PM
  4. Very good article about Pacers from USA Today
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 11:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •