Thread: Rolle assured of Pacers' Training Camp invitation

Default Rolle assured of Pacers' Training Camp invitation

http://freeport.nassauguardian.net/s...4597528039.php

Rolle assured of Pacers' Training Camp invitation

Sports Scope

By Fred Sturrup

FN Acting Managing Editor

What's happening with Magnum Rolle?

That's been a question often asked recently. The 6-11 Grand Bahamian power forward out of Lousiana Tech University has been the big focus of local sports fans and others since the Oklahoma City Thunder made him the 51st pick of the 2010 National Basketball Association Draft. He was later traded for by the Indiana Pacers with their 57th pick.

At the rookie/free agents camp, he shone brightly and even Pacers' President Larry Bird took time out to chat with Rolle. He out-played all others, newcomers just like him as well as the veteran players who move from camp to camp, hoping to catch on.

Thus far he hasn't signed yet with Indiana, but that should happen before he gets to the big camp when it opens on September 28. Earlier this week, I had a chat with Dave Benner, the Director of Public Information for the Pacers and got the clear understanding that the team is still very high on Rolle.

"He will be invited to training camp. I anticipate he will be signed before camp. We like how he played in the rookie camp and also what he showed in the Summer League. He is here in Indianapolis, working out on his own. There is a reasonable chance he will be with us when the season opens," said Benner.

Although the Pacers had enough interest in Rolle to trade a pick with the Thunder for him, players taken in the second round are not guaranteed to be signed.

So, the fingers still have to be kept crossed for Rolle. He's a solid basketball package however.

He has some of the best moves I've seen in a big man. He is very active down inside, has great moves and a nimbleness that give him the edge against the wider bodies.

In regards to his slender size (226 pounds on a 6-11 frame), Rolle, according to a recent interview during rookie camp, indicated no concern at all and is convinced he will be able to pack on more pounds.

The Pacers are in a building process and young active players like Rolle would suit them well. He can pull up and shoot the short jumpers easily. Rolle can drain the long ones. His drives to the basket are smooth and quick.

He has travelled an interesting road to this point.

From St. George's High in Grand Bahama, he participated in a Nike All-American Camp, and entered Laurinburgh Institute in North Carolina before settling on LSU. It was at Laurinburgh that he really began to attract a lot of attention. The team went 40-0 and he was a big factor with double figures in scoring and rebounding all season long to go with almost five blocks per game. At LSU he became a Western Athletic Conference star.

Now, he is poised for the NBA. I've watched several of his interviews. He's comfortable. If he is able to get rooted in the NBA with that demeanour plus his skill set, he will be a signature player for years to come.

Best wishes Magnum!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jose Slaughter For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Rolle assured of Pacers' Training Camp invitation

I really hope the Pacers don't blow this and let this guy walk. You don't acquire a player who was drafted deep in the 2nd-round, outplayed most of the players who were drafted way ahead of him, has great character and a very good work ethic only to let him walk.

The Pacers would come to regret it much like they failed to draft MJ when they had the chance.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NuffSaid For This Useful Post:

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I REALLY hope we sign Magnum as he's going to be a solid NBA player it looks like. I bet that the Thunder would like to have his rights right now as they definitely need more quality big men.

This doesn't surprise me at all. W/o signing Rolle, this gives the Pacers an open roster spot for their ever elusive "1 year" contract vet PG that they can't seem to find. It also allows the Pacers to trade an expiring and take 2 players back in order to get a PG.

By training camp if the Pacers haven't found that elusive PG, then they can sign Rolle. I bet the Pacers wouldn't mind Rolle going to Europe for a year or two to develop like AD did. This would allow them, if they haven't found a PG by training camp, to keep an open roster spot for a trade after the season starts and b4 the trade deadline.

It also gives the Pacers some wiggle room, time wise, to try and trade Solo to a team with a TE or under the cap for a future 2nd rounder b4 signing Rolle for training camp.

If I had to guess, I could see Solo Jones being dealt or waived before camp. I think the Pacers would prefer to trade him to a team who can absorb his contract or trade him for a back-up point, if possible. But I think the Pacers are high on Rolle and look for him to be a solid back-up and a part of the future core.

Price didn't sign until early September last year, and there was really no question about roster space at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianDudley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I REALLY hope we sign Magnum as he's going to be a solid NBA player it looks like. I bet that the Thunder would like to have his rights right now as they definitely need more quality big men.
    i dont completely agree. here are there big man and there stats from last year

krstic, 8.5 and 5
    mullens, was a rookie and only got 4min a game but, is a nice prospect
    ibaka, who was awesome in the playoffs 6.3 and 5.4
    collison, 5.9 and 5.1
    green who plays some pf and sf 15.1 and 6
    not to mention cole aldrich who u can probably play center and pf
    ill be fair and put d.j white down since he is on the team. they should of jus cut him and kept rolle

they dont have a ten and ten guy but, they dont really need one considering everyone contributes.

Magnum would look great with okc and i know they would probably take back that trade if they could but, as for them definitely needing more quality big man. i mean come on did you see the LA series. they handled gasol, bynum and odom better then any other team could in the playoffs.
    2012: Pacers return to glory

Paul George All Day

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers2012 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    they dont have a ten and ten guy but, they dont really need one considering everyone contributes.
    Well, sort of. They don't get enough from Krstic and Collison, and that is their big problem. Mullens may never amount to much, he's a very iffy prospect. They need more from their top bigs than Role Player. Of course Rolle wouldn't have solved that problem at all.

How many players can the Pacers have in camp? Is it like 18 or something?

18 sounds right.

While theoretically you never want to throw good money after bad, I would hope that after we paid OKC real money we'd actually use the guy.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!