Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NBA vs. NASCAR

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NBA vs. NASCAR

Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd rather watch a million one-point wins than two million blowout wins.
    I didn't mean 2 million blowouts!
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Sniff, sniff.....What a beautiful moment, my first thread to go over a page.

It seems to me that it isn't really about relating to the "athletes", so much as feeling a certain "cultural comfort" with them. I think the NBA is perceived as having embraced a certain ethnic (not necessarily racial) "street" quality that doesn't feel comfortable for some people. I'm not sure if I'm quite saying what I mean to say, but it just strikes me that it's equally hard to "relate" to someone like Mark Martin or Dale Earnhardt Jr as it is to "relate" to Allen Iverson or JO. I mean all these guys live lives we can't relate to, whether they're in NASCAR, NBA, or VODA. But the NASCAR guys just seem somehow more accessible to some people, and NBA players don't.

Now that I write it out, it doesn't sound as good as when I thought it, but I'll go ahead and post it anyway.
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

oh geezuz...nascar is sooooooooooo boring! id rather watch golf! (wait, maybe not) It's only exciting when wrecks happen. lol

Quote Originally Posted by diego

Now i am white, but i love the NBA, but looking at it objectively, this is why many people i know dont follow the NBA because they cannot connect with not only the game but the way it is played. No more jump shots, passing, etc...its all about one on one playground moves and highlight dunks. Obviously true NBA fans know it is more than that, but the common fan does not.

That is why I think the NBA has gone down in popularity. I love watching great defense and all, but most teams simply don't play the game right anymore. The jumpshot has become secondary in the league now, to skills like dunking, circus lay ups, etc. Ball movement and outside shooting are basically a thing of the past now.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by JOneal7
    oh geezuz...nascar is sooooooooooo boring! id rather watch golf! (wait, maybe not) It's only exciting when wrecks happen. lol

Please - don't move here!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Maybe they should make the NBA players pay based on performance and wining , If you hurt in Nascar you don't get a Paycheck Unless you Drive and Win or finish at a respectable place.

All I see is the Greed on the NBA players these days , You wonder why tickets are so expensive for a NBA game , look no further than the greed of the players , eventually and I think now the NBA's problems are ithe price it cost to goto a game . It's not that I am a cheapass I could afford season ticket's in a snap of my fingers , hell I could afford a suite If I wanted but I don't see the value in it.

Sure there are people who have money and lots of it who love Nascar , the the General makeup of Nascar Fans are everyday ordinary people , you see bussiness type people at races but you also see the working man and his family at the events , just average everday people.

I would rather see close tight racing and there have been a few races where one person get's such a lead that it becomes real boring too watch even for me. I guess I respect what these guys do week in and week out , they put there lives on the line for people's entertainment and the conditioning you have to go through and be in is very high. If it was as easy as just jumping in a car and driving the wheels off it wouldn't be such a thrill.

I guess I see it diffrent cause I actually went to the Richard Petty school of racing , now mind you we didn't get speeds of 180 -200 mph ..but at the end they do let you race with a group of other student's we hit about 130 and I will say this , it was abit scarey and I don't see how those guys go 180-200 mph on some tracks , for several hours at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSauceMaster
    Maybe they should make the NBA players pay based on performance and wining ,

if they aren't paid based on performance and winning then what is their pay based on?

Maybe e mean they get payed on performance, and winning should also be taken into account more than it is.

That would get rid of "good stats on bad teams" guys getting paid a lot.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck

if they aren't paid based on performance and winning then what is their pay based on?
    I'll answer your question with a question....
    Why is Bender paid anything more than the bare minimum?

-Bball

Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball

I'll answer your question with a question....
    Why is Bender paid anything more than the bare minimum?

-Bball

Ahhhh , Bball got my point , throws him a cookie

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TheSauceMaster
    Maybe they should make the NBA players pay based on performance and wining ,
    Their past performance or potential performance. Some players are over-rewarded for several seasons due to one good year of play while others are screwed for improving their game while under an undervalued contract. Thus, many players are not awarded based upon current performance and/or winning percentage.
    [edit=57=1092232698][/edit]
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.