Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NBA vs. NASCAR

Default NBA vs. NASCAR

On the off chance there is someone out there interested in discussing something other than Artest/Peja....

I suppose a lot of us were listening to 950 AM today (oops - yesterday, I'm posting in the early morning hours) to catch Rakestraw's thoughts on Artest. Did anyone else catch him saying he thinks NASCAR has replaced the NBA as the third most popular sport?

I don't follow NASCAR at all, but I was taken aback by this. I didn't realize it was even in the game, compared to the Big Three (or even Big Four with the NHL).

Does anyone out there agree with him, or is he way off base?
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NBA vs. NASCAR

I really don't doubt that it isn't true Nascar is very popular , this is what I been doing during my little break for the summer is going to races around the country and I do it every summer.

It seems when I goto a Pacers game anymore it's all suits and higher class people and not the real fans I remember , I am not saying real fans don't go but it just seems more like a big bussiness party at Pacer games. Now when I goto Nascar Races you see alot more families and don't ask me why , you just do.

I have been going to the Brickyard ever since it hit IMS and Enjoy it too death , it's a fun filled weekend for me and I always have a wonderful time and have met alot of wonderful people from around the country. If it wasn't for my great love of basketball I would probably buy a RV and attend every race and there are a large amount of folks who do this.

Nascar is one of those things that you gotta enjoy more to the race than just going in circles , there is alot more too it than just jumping in the car and driving the wheels off til it melts down or you cross the finishline.

Zesty

The ratings and stuff for NASCAR are huge. I don't get it at all, since I think all racing (other than WRC) is boring as hell, with NASCAR being the worst, but that's just me. I know people who LOVE to just sit and watch a bunch of rednecks drive around in circles.

If they watched the Birckyard Sunday lots of NASCAR fans might be cured. That may have been the worst race I ever saw - unless you like seeing a car with flashing lights lead the field at 60 miles an hour.

As to the popularity, NASCAR caters to the "average guy." The NBA doesn't - not really. NASCAR has good Network TV coverage. If you want to really follow the NBA, you better have cable. NASCAR drivers seem like ordinary people. They sit down and sign autographs (are required to), give access to fans, etc. The NBA believes their players are elite and they don't have to be accessible to fans and if they want to smoke dope or do coke they might get penalized after they're caught for the third time.

I could go on but I think a lot of it has to do with how people relate to the average NASCAR driver as opposed to the average NBA player.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The ratings and stuff for NASCAR are huge. I don't get it at all, since I think all racing (other than WRC) is boring as hell, with NASCAR being the worst, but that's just me. I know people who LOVE to just sit and watch a bunch of rednecks drive around in circles.
    I thought I was the only person in the US watching WRC!

I cant stand NASCAR I am bored to death with cars just going arround in circles that are engineered to give a close race. The IRL and NASCAR are both extremely boring to me.

Now World Rally and Formula One are two forms of racing that I can really enjoy.

Mood

I figured I would see alot of comments about cars going around in Circles , but anyways. If NAscar is so Boring then Please Explain why it's so popular and maybe that's the real question here

Banned

I think one of the reasons for Nascars popularity is the fact that it happens during the slow summer months, when there is little to no competition elsewhere in the sports world.

Racings only real competition is Baseball, Golf, Tennis, and midget wrestling. I think it boils down to needing SOMETHING...ANYTHING, to come up with to pass the summer months and have an excuse to get away from the wife and go drink beer at "Bobs house".

If Racing was going head to head against football and basketball the last 50 years it would never be as popular as it is today. I know plenty of die-hard racing fans that when the tail end of the racing season overlaps with the beginning of football season, they watch the football games and tape the race.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have a theory as to NASCAR's surging popularity, as well as the decline in popularity of leagues such as the NBA. It's simple: the more globalized a sport becomes, the less Americans seem to pay attention. Americans identify with athletes from the US (and maybe Canada), but seem to shun anyone from anywhere else. The NFL is arguably the most popular sport in the country; it's almost entirely composed of American players. NASCAR is also nearly completely composed of American drivers, thus its massive popularity. The NBA, NHL, and MLB each have a significant number of international players. The recent (last 15 years) surge in support of NASCAR is a result of the US ethnocentric feeding frenzy. Of course, cable television coverage (NBA) and continual labor disputes (MLB, NHL) also don't help. I simply believe more goes on than meets the eye.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have no clue on why NASCAR as a sport is so popular, but I have a reasoning for the high ratings.

Well obviously, all the races are on network channels, but it's mostly the fact that it's ONE race a week. All the Jeff Gordan fans, all the Dale Earnhart Jr. fans, all the fans of every single racer have to watch the SAME race every week.

The NBA relies on every team being popular, but that simply isn't true.

In my opinion, saying that NASCAR is more popular than the NBA is pure crap. Millions of fans daily wear their favorite players' jersey, while it's not that far in NASCAR. And that doesn't even include how popular the NBA is world-wide.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiousmodesty
    I have a theory as to NASCAR's surging popularity, as well as the decline in popularity of leagues such as the NBA. It's simple: the more globalized a sport becomes, the less Americans seem to pay attention. Americans identify with athletes from the US (and maybe Canada), but seem to shun anyone from anywhere else. The NFL is arguably the most popular sport in the country; it's almost entirely composed of American players. NASCAR is also nearly completely composed of American drivers, thus its massive popularity. The NBA, NHL, and MLB each have a significant number of international players. The recent (last 15 years) surge in support of NASCAR is a result of the US ethnocentric feeding frenzy. Of course, cable television coverage (NBA) and continual labor disputes (MLB, NHL) also don't help. I simply believe more goes on than meets the eye.
    Good Post I can somewhat agree with that , well atleast you didn't mention the words Redneck , Beer Drinking

Sports Logo

Have you ever heard the saying that you will never fail by playing to the lowest common denominator?

NASCAR is popular for the same reason that Wrestling is popular.

In a real sport that has no enforced equalizer there will be people like Michael Shumacher who will dominate. In the IRL and NASCAR they are rigged to take the advantage of the better driver away. Sure you still need to be a good driver to win a lot of races, but random chance will help many drivers who would have never won a race win in NASCAR and the IRL.

I think that people enjoy the side by side racing and they just dont realize that the cars were engineered to do that. They should just give up the pretense and call it IROC.

Ac tually... the only thing that surprises me is that we're talking about whether Nascar is the 3rd most popular sport. I'm surprised that the debate isn't whether it is the 2nd most popular sport. As for the NBA vs Nascar. I doubt it is even close... Nascar is more popular IMHO. I'm willing to bet its merchandising in sheer volume outpaces the NBA.

And I believe the gap is widening.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

obnoxiousmodesty, very interesting post.

racing around an oval track with banked sides at high speed seems to remove the skill of the driver from the equation as much as is possible. seems almost like an engineering challenge more than a racing challenge.

in australia, basketball has to fight against a number of other sports and the tickets to matches aren't what you'd consider cheap in this country to go watch sport. but compared to the NBA, it is positively cheap to go see an NBL game. it definately seems that the NBA is trying to market its superstars more than it is marketing the game itself.

How do we judge which sport is more popular.

Total television viewers ? if that is the case then the NBA is way more popular. Nascar has an event once a week for something like 40 weeks a year. There is only one show per week. The NBA has dozens of games every week.

If you add up the total viewers who have watched the NBA last season and compared it to the total viewers who watched Nascar the NBA has more viewers, as far as gross totals go.

OK, you say well that is not a good barometer. Maybe not.

But the NBA Finals got more viewers per game than the Daytona 500 about 30% more. And the Daytona 500 is an event that every fan knows when it will be, and it is more comparable to a NBA Finals game 7.

OK you don't like that barometer either. Does the average Sunday afternoon Nacar event have higher ratings than tht eaverage NNBA regular season Sunday afternoon game, yes without question about double the viewers. But NBA fans have dozens of other games they can watch every day of the week. Nascar has one event per week.

If there was one NBA game per week on national TV Sunday afternoon I think it would get higher ratings than Nascar.

So it is very difficult to compare the ratings of the two sports. The fairest comparision is the Daytona 500 ratings vs the NBA Finals ratings and the Pistons lakers ratings were about 30% higher. Of course to be fair the Nets vs Spurs Finals ratings were lower than thr Daytona 500 rataings.

No doubt Nascar has a larger die-hard fan base than the NBA.

I think the NBA is more popular when you take everything into account, but it is much, much closer than it used to be

diego

Well there are so many issues to debate with this topic. First of all nascar has definitely passed the NHL in terms of what are the biggest drawing sports. BUT so has Golf.

I think a lot of fans on this forum will disagree with this nest statement, because they are NBA fans, but outside of NBA circles it is common knowledge it is losing pace to a lot of sports not just Nascar.

For example it could be argued that college basketball and college football are far superior to NBA. Add in Nascar and the resurgence of MLB and NBA is becoming just another sports league.

The only true monster is the NFL. There is nothing even close to it in terms of popularity.

Now onto some of my thoughts on the reasons why other sporting avenues have caught up.

1. And i know this will strike a cord with lots of people, but it is not meant to be offensive....but the NBA does not have the diversity of players to attract fans of ALL colors. What i mean by this, is sure the NBA has white players, Chinese players, Euros, etc...but it is not as widespread and per team as it is in NFL and MLB. For example if i am a white person and want to follwo a white player(be it wrong or not) chances are in NBA there may not be one on my local or favorite team, where as in NFL or MLB there is a good chance my local or favorite team will have one that i can call my favorite player.

This is not a racist statement just a note that as a certain race or type of person it is easier to follow and have favorite players that you can relate to in other leagues than the NBA.

Lets face it the NBA is an African American dominated sport. Bird is right, there are very few white superstars....and lets be honest what is the largest majority of American sports watchers. I would venture to say the white male, simply becuase of numbers. And then you add in the sports wives and women that watch that are white and it only increases.

Now i am white, but i love the NBA, but looking at it objectively, this is why many people i know dont follow the NBA because they cannot connect with not only the game but the way it is played. No more jump shots, passing, etc...its all about one on one playground moves and highlight dunks. Obviously true NBA fans know it is more than that, but the common fan does not.

2. Scheduling. period. too many games. The NFL and Nascar have proven that a weekly event is much easier to sell than a nightly event. Too many games and long seasons lead to people tuning out and not caring until playoffs come around. In NFL and NASCAR every race or football game means something. Your season and chances of being a champion are on the line every game or race. It adds drama and excitement to every play, every race maneuver, etc...

diego. Yes college football gets higher ratings than the NBA. But the NBA Finals average rating for the 5 games was higher than the NCAA basketball championship game this past season.

Nascar is less diverse a than any sport played today. So I don't know if I buy youir argument there

The NFL and Nascar both let the fans and players themselves create who the stars are. The NBA tries to create the stars and shove them to the forefront.

I also agree with the idea that the way the NBA game is played (and promoted) doesn't connect with Joe Sixpack. The NBA is promoting high-flying dunks and the like but many fans see the dunk as a symptom of a poor defense. The refs are letting traveling calls go... and watching fouls by superstars while they swallow their whistle. Meanwhile, superstars (who may have that title because the NBA gave it to them rather than earning it) get fouled if an opposing player is in the vicinity.

And I disagree with the notion that driving ovals doesn't require skill. OTOH, I agree with the idea that the Nascar competition has been dumbed down to keep things close.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

NBA vs NASCAR

If NBA players raced against the NASCAR drivers, they'd lose.
    If NASCAR drivers played against NBA players, they'd lose.

I say it's a draw.

[edit=53=1092157147][/edit]
    [edit=53=1092157168][/edit]

diego

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    diego. Yes college football gets higher ratings than the NBA. But the NBA Finals average rating for the 5 games was higher than the NCAA basketball championship game this past season.

Nascar is less diverse a than any sport played today. So I don't know if I buy youir argument there

UB, it is not just about ratings, and i hope you understand that, if not there is no point discussing this further. Just for information, because i really dont know, how did the NCAA tourney as a whole compare to the NBA playoffs as a whole? I am just curious.

As far as Nascar being less diverse, i completely agree. But my point was who it relates to. America by numbers which you seem to understand, is predominatly white middle aged male. Nascar appeals to that type individual.

Do you understand what i am saying.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think NBA is more popuar than NASCAR but NASCAR isn't far behind the NBA.The only sports I follow are NFL,NBA,MLB(Since nothing else is on durig the summer).I only really watch the Brickyard,Daytona for NASCAR.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I totally disagree about the Brickyard being boring. Yes, there were some tire problems but the drivers were doing things they had never done at Indy before. Instead of playing follow the leader, the drivers were aggressive going 2 and sometimes 3 into the corner. But I will acknowledge it's a matter of perception. I raced SCCA and enduro go-karts for a while so I have a different appreciation.

I cannot relate to NHL hockey. Never played hockey. Looks like soccer on ice to me. But . . . I do like watching Olympic hockey - go figure.

As far as NASCAR, the reasons it's so popular is because of the great promotions and packaging they do. Their properties marketing is second to none and there is ACCESSIBILITY to the participants.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Maybe this helps keep this thread even more on topic:

NASCAR drives toward diversity

Skepticism reigns because previous attempts proved negligible

By Todd D. Burlage

The Journal Gazette

Bill Lester is one in a million. Well, actually, he’s more like one in about 250.

See, of the 250 drivers that have started an event in one of NASCAR’s top three series this season, Bill Lester is the only black driver. In fact, he’s one of only two black drivers to race in NASCAR since its birth in 1947.

But don’t try to call him a pioneer. And don’t call him a trailblazer.

“I just consider myself a race car driver,” said Lester, a full-time competitor on NASCAR’s Craftsman Truck Series. “I just happen to be a black race car driver.”

If NASCAR gets its way, Lester’s story won’t be so unique in a few years. Through its Drive for Diversity program, America’s foremost stock-car circuit hopes to open racing opportunities to minorities and women who would never get the chance otherwise.

Lester is the first black driver to compete in NASCAR since Wendell Scott more than 30 years ago. Scott raced full-time for 12 seasons and even won a race in NASCAR’s top circuit in 1964. But when the official announcement of Scott’s win was delayed until the white fans cleared the stands, racial divisions only deepened within the sport.

Lester might not face the same racial attitudes Scott endured in the South through the 1960s and 1970s, but he admitted that competing as a minority in a white man’s game has been difficult at times.

“It’s been a blessing and a curse,” said Lester, who runs 21st in points for Bill Davis Racing. “I think it is somewhat of a curse because African-Americans haven’t been generally accepted as race car drivers. So for a marketing person to take a risk on an unknown is something in this day and age of corporate America very few are willing to do.”

Driving change

NASCAR is bringing out the heavy hitters to see that the demographics of its series better match those of the general population.

The Rev. Jesse Jackson has gotten involved. Former NFL star Reggie White has gotten involved. NBA legend Earvin “Magic” Johnson was even introduced in May as co-chairman to the NASCAR’s Executive Steering Commission for Diversity.

“When you think of the NASCAR brand, it resonates everywhere,” Johnson said. “We hope that we can reach out to minorities across this country and introduce a wonderful sport that is already doing very, very well.”

Johnson is the front man for the Drive for Diversity program – an initiative that, in part, gives minorities and women a chance to drive or work on a Dodge Weekly Series late-model team, learn the ropes and eventually move through NASCAR’s ranks.

Based on their performances during a “racing combine,” five drivers and six crew members were awarded places on a fully-sponsored race team. The combine had attracted more than 100 applicants.

Allison Duncan was one of the lucky 11.

At age 24, Duncan already has seven years of racing experience, mainly in sports cars. Now through Drive for Diversity, Duncan has the best equipment, sponsorships and a string of top-five finishes in the Dodge Weekly Series.

Sunoco and Miller Lite are the primary sponsors on Duncan’s late-model Dodge, so money and equipment are no longer issues. She does keep a full-time job as a driving instructor.

“This wasn’t a gimme. They didn’t just find me on the street and say, ‘Hey, if you want to drive a race car, we will give you the money to drive,’ ” Duncan said. “You look at every successful race car driver out there, and everyone of them has had their big break, their big chance. This is my time. This is my break to be able to prove myself.”

This isn’t the first time NASCAR has welcomed diverse groups and initiatives into its organization. But the success from previous attempts is negligible.

Former pro athletes Julius Erving, Joe Washington and Hank Aaron all became involved in racing, but quickly dropped out. Rap star Nelly bought into a Craftsman Truck Team last season, but lasted only a few races, and Dodge recently pulled the plug on its own diversity initiative.

So what makes NASCAR think this time is different? And how will it measure success with its new program?

“If we don’t have a black or a Hispanic, or a full-time female driver by 2005 or 2006 in Nextel Cup, that doesn’t mean that we aren’t a success,” said Tish Sheets, Diversity and Special Projects Director for NASCAR. “We are opening the doors and drawing people that we didn’t have before.”

Another perspective

Junius Matthews is skeptical of NASCAR’s Drive for Diversity program.

Matthews, 48, is a black man who has dedicated nearly his entire life to racing.

Whether it was pushing a broom in garages around his hometown of Grand Island, Neb., or serving as a racing mechanic and crew member on an Indy Racing League team, Matthews has seen and done it all.

It’s not that Matthews believes minorities and women don’t deserve a chance, he just doesn’t think good drivers and crew members can be manufactured through a combine.

“There is not a black kid out there that has the seat time to go out there and win one of these races,” he said. “We got kids in Indiana, they start racing at 4 1/2 years old. I don’t know who you’re kidding if you think they can just jump in a car and go and win races.

“They’ll put kids in cars because it is going to sell T-shirts and it is going to put people in the stands, but I don’t think they will ever have a chance.”

NASCAR uses popularity studies and sales figures to dispute Matthews’ claims, saying the time is right for diversity because network television exposure has helped raise popularity levels 29 percent among blacks and 23 percent among Hispanics since 1999. NASCAR apparel sales are also up sharply among urban youth.

“NASCAR is pleased with the strong strides we have made with the Hispanic fans since 1999,” a NASCAR news release stated. “And while we are encouraged by our progress, we are still deeply committed to further the sport of NASCAR with all potential fans.”

Problem is, a separate news release announcing the popularity spike among black fans offers the same exact quote only with the words “African American” inserted in place of “Hispanic.”

It’s that sort of “insert-minority-group-here” thinking that leads Matthews to question NASCAR’s motives.

“What is the diversity program about? Now that we are getting as much money out of white America as we can, we want to bring in minorities?” he said. “Or is it really and truly an opportunity for minorities to get involved in Motorsports? What is the real motive here?”

Matthews currently works with Cadillac’s show-car program and holds out hope of owning his own race team. It’s at the minority ownership level that Matthews said NASCAR needs to begin its grassroots effort, not just with drivers and crewmembers.

“And not owners like Magic Johnson and Joe Washington or Julius Irving, but people like myself that have dedicated their life to this sport and know and understand how to put a team together,” Matthews said. “(Johnson) is a basketball player, he doesn’t know what he is doing. That would be like me trying to coach a basketball team.

“As a crew member you understand a quarter-pound of air pressure in one tire, or one click of a shock, or one wrong spring in the wrong place, and no matter how hard you try and no matter how good that driver is, you are not going to win a race, you are not going to go to the front.”

More than a race

NASCAR insists that Drive for Diversity is more than simply trying to get more minorities and women in cars, garages and stands.

The program is also intended to create scholarships and unique opportunities for urban youth, and offer NASCAR careers beyond the racetrack in areas such as marketing or public relations.

With the program in its infancy, success will be relative and hard to measure for a couple of years. But many believe it’s a good idea, if executed properly.

“I think it’s got to start as kids,” driver Jeff Gordon said. “I grew up racing, and we’ve got to get more minorities growing up in racing. It’s a long road ahead of them, but we’ve seen a huge growth.”

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/9317419.htm

-------------------------

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

[quote=TheSauceMaster]
    It seems when I goto a Pacers game anymore it's all suits and higher class people and not the real fans I remember , I am not saying real fans don't go but it just seems more like a big bussiness party at Pacer games. Now when I goto Nascar Races you see alot more families and don't ask me why , you just do.

quote]
    Yea the business people annoy me becuase I most of the time sit in the lowers and when I stand up and yell they look at me funny.The business people or most of them do not view the games like we diehards do I think.They watch the games more to be entertained unlike us becuase we don't want the game to be in crunch time becuase that is called a nail biter and we hate them. I'm not saying all business people view the games as entertainment but IMO most do.And yes we fans want to be entertained but not where we are going to be real nervous about us maybe losing.At least I don't.I would be happy to watch every Pacers game this year even if everygame is a blowout.I would love that.Just my
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I'd rather watch a million one-point wins than two million blowout wins.

I don't see NASCAR and the NBA as competitors. You look at demographics, marketing, sponsorships, crowds, event timing, etc. and if NASCAR really has a competitor, it's the NFL.

Seriously, when do basketball and racing ever conflict? Someone can very easily be a fan of both, and almost never have to choose between the two. If you're lucky, you get one or two races a year you can attend in person? Is someone going to choose between going to the Brickyard, and going to a Pacer game, or 10, or 40? No. Sure, if you go to Daytona, you might miss an NBA game, but that's not going to preclude you from going to another one the next week.

On television, they rarely intersect. Sure, there are Sunday games (after the NFL's done), but if you miss a Lakers-Heat game because you're watching Richmond, it's not gonna keep you from catching Spurs-Wolves on TNT the next Thursday. And that's only for people who haven't heard of a nifty device called a remote control, let alone VCR's or TiVo.

Football against racing is completely different. The TV contract for NASCAR is divided between two networks BECAUSE of football. Ratings for both sports falter when they go head to head. Someone who's a fan of both isn't going to get season tickets for the Colts, cause unless he's got a TiVo, he's gonna miss races. Likewise, somebody might not go to Chicagoland in September cause da' Bears are playing.

As hit upon above, NASCAR and the NFL (and, to a lesser extent, college football) are so successful because they don't saturate the market. Simple supply and demand. Consolidation and limited access makes their market share grow.

Which makes them a different standard than the NBA, MLB, NHL, and their sports' respective minor leagues. There's so many games, you can pick and choose what to watch or go to. And their schedules step all over each other. If you've got the money, there's no reason you can't get Pacers and Colts season tickets (I've done it.) But, it's unlikely you're gonna get Pacers and Indians tickets, or Pistons and Tigers, or Pistons and Red Wings. Get my drift?

The point I'm trying to make is, as NBA fans, we shouldn't worry about NASCAR or the NFL. We don't compete directly against them (something Stern was thankful of when I saw him in March). IMO, our major competitors are MLB and the NHL. Of the two, hockey is the more natural rival, but, let's face it. Hockey is on life-support, and it's possible they'll pull the plug for the forseeable future.

Baseball is another story. They've rebounded since the mid-90's, and basketball has fallen off in the same time period. Both sports have moved towards limited broadcasts with major cable exposure. While they only go head to head half the year, if you want to worry about a competing sport, every thing points towards baseball. Growing up in Indiana where kids played basketball or soccer instead of little league, I don't see the appeal. But turn on ESPN or ESPN Radio, and, even in the dead of winter, odds are you'll see baseball being discussed.

To sum up, you can argue what order to rank all the sports, but it's just semantics, not to mention comparing apples and oranges. But if you're looking for a sport that threatens your NBA lifeblood, look no further than MLB, and their demonic champion, ESPN. Repeat after me, Baseball is evil.

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!