Thread: wing me

Default wing me

So the pacers have alot of wings at the moment. Any talk on here of the pacers aquiring a new wing has been quickly shot down but, lets take a look at our wings.

Danny Granger, He is our number one guy now but, he isn't the ideal true franchise player many fans in indy think he is. Granger improves his scoring every year besides last year because of an injury. One thing that doesn't improve noticeably is his rebounding and assist. Even his defense hasn't improved much. Danny is a fine player and i love having him but, he is a Robin and if we could get danny a batman then we would have 20more wins. But we aren't getting a batman anytime soon so danny is our guy for now.

Dunleavy will be gone at some point. so there is one wing you can take out of our long term plan.

Rush, some fans on here think he could be in a traded because he is inconsistent and a wildcard. You can count on rush being in trade talks next year if he doesn't drastically improve his output this year. So rush is a questionmark plus he is 25. these are suppose to be his prime years. It is 50/50 on weather he will be with us as a longterm core player.

D.jones is 29. He is a good defender but, defense only works as a team and a defensive minded coach. Run and gun teams never have lockdown D. Suns had there problems along with golden state these past years and so on. So how much is d.jones really worth to us? I dont see him in our core group of wing player. I rather see him deep on the bench and guarding players who other player on the team cant in key situations.

then we come to our draft picks paul and lance. paul may not develop into a start or key contributor for 3 years if at all. He is some what of a question mark since we drafted him on pontential. lance was a steal and looks like he can be effect for us and our core group of guys down the road so he will have a spot.

I cant speak for everyone but, our wings dont look too appetizing at the moment or down the road at this point. some have potential some have questionmarks.

So if rush doesn't show he can be a starter this year then we better make a splash in FA for a starting wing player or hope we have a guard by then and can draft a wing player like terrance jones who is the next best wing next to harrison barnes. I dont want to go into 2011 with DG, a ? in rush, d.jones, paul who is a longterm project and lance. no way we can win more then 30 games with d.jones first off the bench or possibly starting.

Here are next years wing FAs

jamal crawford. 30yrs old and will want a contract in the ten mil a year range
    marquis daniels
    von wafer
    jamario moon
    anthony parker
    MELO
    j.r. smith
    Tayshaun Prince, i like him alot especially on D. not sure what type of deal he will want though

rasusal butler
    matt barnes
    sasha vujacic
    michael redd, if you can get him for the right price he could have a big upside
    Peja
    mo. pete
    mickael pietrus
    jason kapono
    jason richardson*
    andrei kerilinko
    ronnie price
    josh howard
    caron butler

not a whole lot of options at wing for FAs that are worth the contract they might want. So this time next year the pacers could be in the same situation trying to aquire good talent for our backcourt. trades are always possibly but, we haven't made a trade in 2yrs.

We could need another PF next year too depending on how tyler and mcbob do. rolle could suprise people but, we will need another pf at some point.

The pacers may need to address bigger problems next offseason then this offseason with our guard situation.
    2012: Pacers return to glory

Paul George All Day

Default Re: wing me

It makes me sad every time I look at next years FA class

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

I personally think our wing situation looks quite nice
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I personally think our wing situation looks quite nice
    it does in a sense but, we need a plyer who can take pressure off of granger. granger is the focus of other teams defenses. so if we had a player who can do that we would be much better. d.jones cant do that and rush hasn't shown he can either. i want to get in the playoffs the year after this most certainly so i think we will need one more explosive wing player. a player like terrance williams would be awesome but, paul isn't suppose to be that type player for a few years. if he has a big rookie year then we may not need another wing.
    2012: Pacers return to glory

Paul George All Day

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Can we let our rookies play before we start talking about what they are or are not capable of, or what positions we will need to fill next summer?
    Grown Man Ball

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Of all the figures of speech that are used to describe athletes, "Robin" and "Batman" are probably the worst.

EDIT: And, not to just be a grump about it, let me mention a few of the reasons why.

* A basketball team has five players, not two. Any good plan for a basketball team is going to encompass all five -- or even all 12 players rather than elevating two.

* Dick Grayson was Bruce Wayne's "ward," which means he was kept at Bruce Wayne's expense as a charity case. Danny Granger has over $50 million in his contract. He's nobody's charity case.

* Robin was a boy among adults. There was Bruce Wayne, Alfred the Butler, Commission Gordon, Chief O'Hara. To call an NBA player "Robin" doesn't put him in second place -- it puts him at the bottom of the heap. To call any NBA player a Robin to someone else's Batman is not saying he's number 2, but that he is socially the lowest person around.

* There's no basketball analogy in terms of relative strength or on-court prowess. Granger is a very good player -- he need complementary players -- not a better player to play in the shadow of. Small and effeminate as he appeared, Robin was just as likely to "Biff!" "Sock!" or "Pow!" a bad guy as Batman was. Heck, Robin even beat up Batman on occasion:

* An finally, Batman and Robin were complete wimps until the last five minutes of every episode (or until the last few pages of every comic book). We don't want players who will show up in the last two minutes of the game -- we want guys who'll war for 40 minutes a game.

Last edited by Putnam; 07-31-2010 at 09:44 AM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    Of all the figures of speech that are used to describe athletes, "Robin" and "Batman" are probably the worst.
    I've gotten a little tired of that one too. That and every NBA player being described as "long".

This. Plus the Jordan's Bulls have a spotter in Kerr and a rebounder in Rodman besides having Pippen. Shaq-Kobe duo also had Fisher and Horry. The showtime Lakers and the Great Celtics of the 80's have HOFs of more than 2 in each team. The dominant Spurs have a geat trio and a bunch of hardworkers off the bench. If Danny is the "Batman," he needs "Superman", "Green Lantern", "The Flash", and other Justice League members, not a "Robin." He needs complementary players around him who can help him on both sides of the court, whether they are much better than Danny or not.

I have no problems with our stacked wing position because some of them are versatile enough to play more than 1 position (Danny can play SF/PF or even SG, Lance at PG/SG, George at SG/SF, etc.) It's just a matter of using them effectively at games. A lineup of Lance, George, Rush, Danny and Magnum can provide length in defense and athleticism in offense. Or a lineup of Price, George, Danny, Tyler and Roy provides a more traditional lineup and can play inside-outside game. Or many other player combos.

It's a little concerning we have very few options on the PG position, but I would like to see first what our new additions can bring to the table before giving up on the current wing situation.

Quote Originally Posted by 15th parallel View Post
    It's a little concerning we have very few options on the PG position, but I would like to see first what our new additions can bring to the table before giving up on the current wing situation.
    3 options is very few? When did 3 options turn into very few options? Most teams only ever play 2 different PG's. Any other PG on the team only gets spot minutes in maybe 25 to 35 games, and is there more for just in case there is an injury. I'm not even including Dunleavy who is a viable option as a Point Forward.

We shouldn't ignore the wing spot come next offseason, as I suspect we may end up spending some of our talent/potential at the wings to improve at PG or PF. From that list I could see J-Rich being a good pickup, but who knows what kind of contract he may get, or for how long.

Banned

If you watched the summer league games and didn't see star potential all over Paul George I don't know what to tell you.
    He's got a way to go to learn the game and be consistant to be sure, but you don't lock up that kind of physical ability.

Ignoring Larry's attempt to keep expectations reasonable, he will help THIS year. To what degree remains TBS but it won't be 3 years.
    I think he's our 3 of the future with Danny gone for a 1st class pg.
    Last edited by MLB007; 07-31-2010 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    3 options (at poiint guard) is very few? When did 3 options turn into very few options?

When none of them is very good or very certain? Two is enough if they are talented veterans. But two guys with little or no experience and one guy the coach doesn't like is not a good situation.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We don't want players who will show up in the last two minutes of the game --
    All The Top Teams Have At Least 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    3 options is very few? When did 3 options turn into very few options? Most teams only ever play 2 different PG's. Any other PG on the team only gets spot minutes in maybe 25 to 35 games, and is there more for just in case there is an injury. I'm not even including Dunleavy who is a viable option as a Point Forward.
    Yes, we have 3 options (currently) for PG. However, here are their current situations:

TJ Ford - aside from getting injured from time to time, he's not being used by JOB on many games due to his style of play not fitting the coach's system.

AJ Price - he's still relatively inexperienced to handle the starting spot, plus he's still uncertain to play heavy minutes (or to play at all) due to his current injury.

Lance Stephenson - we have seen his skill set to consider him as PG/SG combo, but he still needs to prove he can play NBA-level PG.

So although we have 3 PGs, we still have not even established a stable PG rotation.