Thread: Isiah breaks into Pacers locker room after the game

Default Isiah breaks into Pacers locker room after the game

Sorry about the thread title, I could not resist. Wonder if Cro and Isiah did a lot of hugging, sorry again.

Interesting article

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/15285.htm

ISIAH ENJOYS THIS ONE

By MICHAEL MORRISSEY
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 4, 2004 -- If you thought this one didn't mean anything special to Isiah Thomas, you should have seen his victory lap through the Pacers locker room last night.
    After the Knicks ripped out the Pacers' hearts down the stretch of a 97-90 victory, Thomas showed his gratitude to the players he formerly coached and the ones he presides over now.

Beaming from ear to ear, Thomas hugged a number of Indiana players in an unusual breach of the enemy locker room. He then sought out first-year Pacers coach Rick Carlisle in the stands for some meaningful words and a handshake.

"I have the greatest amount of respect and love for the Indiana Pacers," Thomas said. "They're a great team.

"We have a long, long way to go, and our players were great tonight."

Glowing at the thought that his Knicks outlasted and out-toughed a team he coached for three seasons from 2000-03, Thomas initially didn't want to say much to the press.

"Give it to the players," he told a couple of reporters. "Just give it all to the players."

Later, Thomas denied the victory was partial retribution against Indiana president Larry Bird, who fired him late last summer in a move that clearly stung. He also denied it was a statement game for his new franchise, which has risen from a moribund lottery club since he took the reins as team president.

"Again, it's not about me," Thomas said.

Thomas entered through the front door of the Pacers' locker room about 15 minutes after the Knicks beat the best team in the Eastern Conference. He locked up Jamaal Tinsley in a bear hug, showing love to a fellow point guard many people passed on.

Thomas told Al Harrington, "I love you" on his way toward a brief meeting in the stands with Carlisle. The two men were very cordial, with Carlisle putting his hand on Thomas' shoulder and asking about his family. They shook hands and said, "Take care."

Default Re: Isiah breaks into Pacers locker room after the game

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/15268.htm

THE RIVALRY LIVES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 4, 2004 -- ISIAH Thomas's grudge isn't the Garden's grudge. Knick fans don't care what Thomas said about Larry Bird being white 17 years ago, or any injustice perceived by Isiah when he was let go by the Pacers last summer, or about any humble beginnings in Chicago that leave the Knick boss with so little humility he could rehash months-old stuff and help make last night's game somehow about him.
    All a not-sold-out building really cared to know is that Reggie Miller still plays for a Pacer team that, with a lot better management than the Knicks have enjoyed, has rebuilt itself into the East's top team without missing the playoffs even once.

The people came to get a read on what kind of damage their team can do in the post-season now that Stephon Marbury will almost surely get the Knicks there again. Lenny Wilkens may not ever be able to convince anyone with two eyes that Moochie Norris is a better basketball player than Frank Williams, but with 40 days of winter to go, the fans wanted to see a bigger picture, like whether the shadow of the rivalry that Knicks-Pacers used to be is ready for revival. They believe now, after a gritty, rousing, 97-90 victory that contained everything from the fear and loathing Reggie days of old, except a 4-point, final-seconds Larry Johnson play.

Kurt Thomas and Penny Hardaway hit big, Marbury-fed shots down the stretch. Dikembe Mutombo, Michael Doleac and helping Knick hands drained Jermaine O'Neal (6-for-20) of gas in the fourth quarter, when the home "team on the rise," according to Indiana coach Rick Carlisle, didn't shrink, as it almost always did before Thomas' acquisition of Marbury.

"Last time we played them at home we lost on an offensive rebound by Jermaine O'Neal," Keith Van Horn said. "We didn't lose those rebounds tonight. We got all the big ones, all the big stops."

The help defense is better, the ball movement better. Van Horn, who had 20 on top of his 30 Saturday night to go with last night's 12 rebounds, three assists and two blocks, was better than Ron Artest (19, six rebounds), continuing the Knick forward's rise in the absence of Allan Houston. "I don't think this started with Allan going out," Wilkens said. "We, as coaches, encouraged Keith to be more aggressive, more assertive.

"We work with him every day and I want it to continue when Allan comes back. That's how I remember Keith playing in college and we will push him to the point that, hopefully, we'll see this [often]."

They will have to if the Knicks, 9-6 since Marbury, are going to be any more this spring than just happy to get back to the playoffs. Four games under .500 still, table those galloping dreams about competing against the West. Half-court Indiana and Detroit are teams Wilkens' club will have to fight through, if it is lucky enough to avoid playing more athletic New Jersey.

The Knicks had 36 points in the paint to 30 for the Pacers, outrebounded them by 11, earned 20 second-chance points to eight by a team that had routed the Shaq-less Lakers at Conseco and traveled Monday night. The Knicks exercised that advantage like good teams do.

"It was the most physical game of the year," Van Horn said. "With them being the best team in the league at this point and Isiah, there were a lot of situations. Of all the games I've played here, this was most like a playoff game."

You could feel it emanating from colliding bodies under the basket, radiating out through the crowd in a grand announcement by the Knicks.

On a night they didn't have their ace shooter, it didn't matter because they are on the verge of becoming the kind of team where it simply doesn't, not when an occasion so demands.

Thomas entered through the front door of the Pacers' locker room about 15 minutes after the Knicks beat the best team in the Eastern Conference. He locked up Jamaal Tinsley in a bear hug, showing love to a fellow point guard many people passed on.

Thomas told Al Harrington, "I love you" on his way toward a brief meeting in the stands with Carlisle. The two men were very cordial, with Carlisle putting his hand on Thomas' shoulder and asking about his family. They shook hands and said, "Take care."
    So, I'm guessing Bird is on the horn to the commissioner with some tampering concerns....nothing personal......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It really is sad that the Knicks think we even tried last night. Because based on almost every other game we've played this year, the players put forth 0 effort last night.
    Well... I won't go as far as saying that we didn't try. A win is always important to this group of players.

Let's just say that it being the second game of a back-to-back and a travel fiasco probably contributed to our guys not being able to match the emotion of a very inspired Knicks team.

I put this game into the "should have won" category. By the way, last night was the 5th loss in away second games of back-to-backs.

As to the thread title, I think Isiah breached all known etiquette. As far as I'm concerned, let him wait by the team bus to wish the players well, along with all the other autograph seekers.

Yes, I know. I'm a hard-***.

I saw clips of his lockerroom visit on WB4's postgame. It was harmless.

In fact, one of the things they did show was Isiah saying Hi to Cro, and Cro got a big grin/smile on his face, stood up and gave him a hug.

So you tell me.

In fact, one of the things they did show was Isiah saying Hi to Cro, and Cro got a big grin/smile on his face, stood up and gave him a hug.

So you tell me.
    Doesn't matter how cordial it was. The President of Basketball Operations should NEVER bust into the other team's locker room shortly after a game.
    Write the NBA a letter. ed:

So you tell me.
    Doesn't matter how cordial it was. The President of Basketball Operations should NEVER bust into the other team's locker room shortly after a game.
    He wasn't there as President of Basketball Operations. He was there as a concerned father, wanting to console his boys after a tough loss and let them know they were still loved and that there was a dad in NY who would always provide for them if ever they felt they needed a change of scenery....

I don't have any problems with Isiah coming into the locker room, and I am surprised that some of you do.

The title of this thread was more of a joke than anything

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree with PurpleHippo...overt or covert it can influence players who may become FA's later...or it may incite a riot. You don't do it unless the opposing teams management invite you first.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

I have worked for a professional sports team and you don't do what IT did. You just don't.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

I don't have any problems with Isiah coming into the locker room, and I am surprised that some of you do.

The title of this thread was more of a joke than anything
    I'm coupling this in my mind with Isiah's recent appearance on Letterman. When asked if he would ever do a deal with Bird, his response was something like "I'd like to have some of their players. One in particular....wears #7."

I just don't care for him hanging around our guys, hissing in their ears.

Slick shoulda been around to chase him out of there with a hockey stick.......

Seems a bit odd. Actually, it seems like something that you shouldn't be allowed to do.

Any mention that he might have been invited? Otherwise, IMO, he shouldn't be there - I know from HS that we had opposing coaches who asked if they could come in and say something to us.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

He wasn't there as President of Basketball Operations. He was there as a concerned father, wanting to console his boys after a tough loss and let them know they were still loved and that there was a dad in NY who would always provide for them if ever they felt they needed a change of scenery....

Wow. I hope that he paid his child support for all those kids. He's NOT their father. He's a exec for a rival team. Period. If he's all of their father, I hereby request DNA samples for everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Two=the number 2
    Too=means "also"
    To=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (two, too) do not apply.

Their=shows ownership-'it is their house'
    They're=they are
    There=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (their, they're) do not apply

Sorry but it bugs me when these are used incorrectly when I read posts on PacersDigest.com.

I can't believe this is allowed. I thought he had to cease all communications with JO when he took the NY job and yet he can just cruise into the lockerroom (invited or not)?

I dunno... it just doesn't seem like something the NBA would want to encourage if they are serious about tampering issues. Even if this wasn't tampering, if regularly allowed, it opens the door to questioning motives: "Was that a wink? Did he just whisper something? Was that a joke or was he serious? What did he mean by that?"

And if you want to question motives... how about wondering if Isiah was trying to somehow create a wedge and dredge up anything just by his presence?

ed:

-Bball ed:
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

He probably either asked first or was invited.

If there was a story here, someone besides us would have brought it up.

Oh Jesus F-ing Christ, you guys need to lighten the hell up.

How many times do you hear about coaches in all sports going and talking to the opposing team after a game? This is the same damn thing. When Isiah was hired, I knew he wouldn't talk to any of our guys until Feb. 3rd, because you're only allowed WHEN YOU PLAY THEM.

Seriously, guys, some of you need to get over Zeke. He's gone. He's not coming back. And yes, feel free to quote the last couple sentences and say "Thank God", if you feel you must.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Tim

Oh Jesus F-ing Christ, you guys need to lighten the hell up.

How many times do you hear about coaches in all sports going and talking to the opposing team after a game? This is the same damn thing. When Isiah was hired, I knew he wouldn't talk to any of our guys until Feb. 3rd, because you're only allowed WHEN YOU PLAY THEM.

Seriously, guys, some of you need to get over Zeke. He's gone. He's not coming back. And yes, feel free to quote the last couple sentences and say "Thank God", if you feel you must.
    Thanks for the post Kegboy. The way people talk about Isiah sometimes is really sad. If Isiah said something before the game he would be ripped on, if he didn't say anything he would be ripped on.

Yeah, I doubt he was passing JO or Al notes saying "DO YOU WANT TO PLAY FOR ME? CIRCLE YES OR NO. YES NO"

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, I doubt he was passing JO or Al notes saying "DO YOU WANT TO PLAY FOR ME? CIRCLE YES OR NO. YES NO"
    Damnit Croshere you're supposed to select NO!!! ed:
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

After the Knicks ripped out the Pacers' hearts down the stretch of a 97-90 victory, Thomas showed his gratitude to the players he formerly coached and the ones he presides over now.
    WTF? They didn't rip any hearts out - what the NY mediots fail to realize is that this was a meaningless February game, at least that is how it appeared the Pacers players took it. It was a LOT bigger to the Knicks than it was for the Pacers.

This article made me laugh. Thomas says "Again, it's not about me," but celebrates like he won the NBA title? Very funny indeed. I didn't see Carlise act like that when the Pacers beat the Pistons. Hmm....
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Some of you don't get it. It is not what he was or was not up to.... it is the fact of crossing a line. It doesn't smell right for someone in his position to do what he did.

He might not have done it BUT it is a situation where abuses can take place.... possibly overt... possibly subtle... You open the door to questions.

His intentions may have been pure... or not...

Sending a letter to the lockerroom after the game, meeting the players as they left the lockerroom for a quick handshake, etc are more appropriate IMHO.

I just think he crossed a line that is better left alone. This is true of ALL opposing GM's or owners. Not just because it was Isiah Thomas.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden