Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44

Thread: wade ,rose, mayo, lance?

  1. #1
    Member Pacers2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    395

    Default wade ,rose, mayo, lance?

    After watching lance in the summer league I was trying to think of a guard that he reminds me of. being 6'5 and 210 he is a little bigger then rose's 6'3 190. Lances big strengths are his mid-range game and ability to finish at the rim. Rose has great handles and lance could also but, lance dribbles alot and is inexperienced at pg. Rose's shot needed some working coming out of memphis and didn't shoot a high % from the field. He is good at dishin out assist and finishing at the rim. Lance seems to have a good court vision also and made some great passes. Rose also has a high speed and a never stop moving way about him when he has the ball. Lance seems to be that kind of guy too. One thing lance will have on rose is his mid-range game. And if you have a good mid-range game then guys gotta stick on you making it easier for lanes to open. Obviously lance wont average 6assist like rose did his rook year and might not even see half the time rose did.

    I could also see a dwayne wade like thing about lance. Ive yet to see the expolisiveness from lance that wade has but, I could see lance dunking on a few people tho. wade is a sg like lance but controls the ball alot also. wade is 6'4 220 and more lances size. wade can do it all and if stephenson is as good as I think the only reason he wouldnt be able to be a wade like player is his attitude that we've heard about.

    Obviously the 2 guys i compared him to are all-star caliber and franchise player but, Lance would of been a lottery pick if he didnt have baggage. I like to compare him to a player he could turn out to be like rather then an average nba player. I could also see him bein an o.j mayo type if the pg doesn't work out but, now mayo is possibly going to play point next year and maybe if he turns out to be good lance could be jus as good.

    So those are the player i think of when i think of stephenson as a guard.

    anyone else have a guard or sg to compare him to?
    Last edited by Pacers2012; 07-28-2010 at 06:16 PM.
    2012: Pacers return to glory

    Paul George All Day

  2. #2
    Batman's New Side Kick Psyren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,586

    Default Re: wade ,rose, mayo, lance?

    Still too early to regard him that highly. I love Lance already as much as the next guy, but we still need to watch him play in an actual NBA game.

    In terms of a player to compare him to, he reminds me most of Tyreke Evans. Similar in build, and play around the same style.

  3. #3

    Default Re: wade ,rose, mayo, lance?

    Michael Redd with more promise as a playmaker. That's who he resembles in his style of play, not guys like Wade, Rose, even Evans and their freakish athleticism.

    Still very soon to say if he'll ever come close to reach their talent level.
    Last edited by cordobes; 07-28-2010 at 06:24 PM.

  4. #4
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,677

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: wade ,rose, mayo, lance?

    Wow.

    The NBA should run a summer league abuse awareness video, narrated by Marco Belinelli and Nikolz Tskitishvili....

    Please fans, enjoy summer league, but watch responsibly.
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-28-2010 at 06:22 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  5. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  6. #5
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: wade ,rose, mayo, lance?

    Lance Stephenson is like Magic Johnson, except he's better.

  7. #6

    Default Re: wade ,rose, mayo, lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Still too early to regard him that highly. I love Lance already as much as the next guy, but we still need to watch him play in an actual NBA game.

    In terms of a player to compare him to, he reminds me most of Tyreke Evans. Similar in build, and play around the same style.
    I agree with the Tyreke Evans comparison "but If God were to draw up the ideal basketball player, he’d look a lot like Oscar Robertson—or to put in 2010 terms, he may have been a hybrid between Jason Kidd and Dwayne Wade. At 6’5, 225 pounds Oscar Robertson was a guard whose skills matched his unique athleticism. The Big O is regarded by some NBA scribes as the greatest or most complete player to ever play the game. Before there was marketing and big media, Robertson was the Michael Jordan of his day—a player who was so ahead of his time, that teams could do little to match his size and speed."

    Pacer fans (like myself) who drink Kool-aid are hoping Lance at 6'5" 215lbs has at least half of the Oscar best season stats: 30.3 points, 10.6 assists and 10.4 rebounds. I, personally, am hoping he wins Rookie of the Year.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to TooBigNdaPaint For This Useful Post:


  9. #7
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,603

    Default Re: wade ,rose, mayo, lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow.

    The NBA should run a summer league abuse awareness video, narrated by Marco Belinelli and Nikolz Tskitishvili....

    Please fans, enjoy summer league, but watch responsibly.
    LMAO

    funniest stuff I heard in awhile

    dont forget: Quintell Woods among others
    Sittin on top of the world!

  10. #8
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,348

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: wade ,rose, mayo, lance?

    Hmmm....let me see...a SG that has some limited playmaking skills that is good at penetrating without a reliable outside shot that we hope could be a PG option?

    Until he actually plays some consistent minutes at the PG spot to show that he does have some playmaking skills....I say a ( hopefully ) less injury-prone version of Marquis Daniels.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  11. #9
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: wade ,rose, mayo, lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Until he actually plays some consistent minutes at the PG spot to show that he does have some playmaking skills....I say a ( hopefully ) less injury-prone version of Marquis Daniels.
    With the 40th pick in the draft? That's pretty good, actually.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  12. #10
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: wade ,rose, mayo, lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by TooBigNdaPaint View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pacer fans (like myself) who drink Kool-aid are hoping Lance at 6'5" 215lbs has at least half of the Oscar best season stats: 30.3 points, 10.6 assists and 10.4 rebounds.
    If Lance ever averages 15/5/5 on a winning team it will be one of the Pacers best picks ever (in terms of where he was picked).
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  13. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,604

    Default Re: wade ,rose, mayo, lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Michael Redd with more promise as a playmaker. That's who he resembles in his style of play, not guys like Wade, Rose, even Evans and their freakish athleticism.

    Still very soon to say if he'll ever come close to reach their talent level.
    Lance's athleticism is superior to Redd's pre-draft. He weighed in a bit heavy and still outperformed Redd's predraft measurements in quickness and max vertical. This despite Lance being a few years younger than Redd was when he was drafted. He's also a bit longer than Redd.

    He doesn't have Redd's ability from range though.

    Redd is a guy who plays well without the ball, gets a lot of his offense off of screens and spot up shots. Lance seems to be an iso guy, and needs to show us that he has at least a midrange game if not 3pt. Actually if he learn to play off ball as well as Redd it would mean a lot for his career.

    I do see a little bit of Redd in him....and I'd say his style of play, that we've seen, is a blend of Redd and some Marquis Daniels to it.

    And really, I wouldn't be able to complain if he turned out to be a healthy Marquis Daniels.

  14. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,604

    Default Re: wade ,rose, mayo, lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hmmm....let me see...a SG that has some limited playmaking skills that is good at penetrating without a reliable outside shot that we hope could be a PG option?

    Until he actually plays some consistent minutes at the PG spot to show that he does have some playmaking skills....I say a ( hopefully ) less injury-prone version of Marquis Daniels.
    I shouldnt have taken so long to write up my post, so I could have thrown out the Marquis comparison first. Jerk!

  15. #13
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,348

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: wade ,rose, mayo, lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ozwalt72 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I shouldnt have taken so long to write up my post, so I could have thrown out the Marquis comparison first. Jerk!
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH.....
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  16. #14
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,348

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: wade ,rose, mayo, lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With the 40th pick in the draft? That's pretty good, actually.
    Honestly, I haven't really watched too much of Lance playing....just pulled the comparison based off of what you guys posted.

    Is a SG with good penetration skills that can drive/score inside or close to the paint but doesn't have much range beyond what would be considered a mid-range jumpshot with somewhat decent Playmaking skills a good comparison?

    The reason I ask is that this describes what Marquis is capable of doing.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  17. #15
    Member BornReady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    2,740

    Default Re: wade ,rose, mayo, lance?

    wasn't Marquis undrafted?
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

  18. #16
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: wade ,rose, mayo, lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Honestly, I haven't really watched too much of Lance playing....just pulled the comparison based off of what you guys posted.
    Honestly, they don't really look much like each other in terms of style of play. Quis had this uncanny ability to throw stuff up around the basket and have it go in. I was always surprised when he made a shot... it usually didn't seem like it had a good chance of going in.

    Lance, though, looked amazing in summer league. Every shot he took looked good, which explains the 70% FG%. The question is whether he can replicate it in the regular season. Based off his summer league play, though, he's definitely more of a power player than Quis was.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  19. #17
    Member ChristianDudley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,575

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: wade ,rose, mayo, lance?

    Yes, Quisey was undrafted...wish we still had him, too (if he'd stay injury-free!!).

  20. #18
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,348

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: wade ,rose, mayo, lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Honestly, they don't really look much like each other in terms of style of play. Quis had this uncanny ability to throw stuff up around the basket and have it go in. I was always surprised when he made a shot... it usually didn't seem like it had a good chance of going in.
    Yeah....I loved that about Marquis.....the guy was near automatic when he was close to the paint.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lance, though, looked amazing in summer league. Every shot he took looked good, which explains the 70% FG%. The question is whether he can replicate it in the regular season. Based off his summer league play, though, he's definitely more of a power player than Quis was.
    I'll go with the broader comparison in that both are Players that are good at scoring ( in some fashion....whether it be via circus-like shots as compared to good overall scoring skills in a variety of shots ) near the paint that doesn't have much range beyond a mid-range game. At least so far, it appears both have a knack for scoring when they don't wander too far from the paint.
    Last edited by CableKC; 07-28-2010 at 08:49 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  21. #19

    Default Re: wade ,rose, mayo, lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ozwalt72 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lance's athleticism is superior to Redd's pre-draft. He weighed in a bit heavy and still outperformed Redd's predraft measurements in quickness and max vertical. This despite Lance being a few years younger than Redd was when he was drafted. He's also a bit longer than Redd.

    He doesn't have Redd's ability from range though.

    Redd is a guy who plays well without the ball, gets a lot of his offense off of screens and spot up shots. Lance seems to be an iso guy, and needs to show us that he has at least a midrange game if not 3pt. Actually if he learn to play off ball as well as Redd it would mean a lot for his career.

    I do see a little bit of Redd in him....and I'd say his style of play, that we've seen, is a blend of Redd and some Marquis Daniels to it.

    And really, I wouldn't be able to complain if he turned out to be a healthy Marquis Daniels.
    Fair enough, but I disagree a bit on some aspects. I'm not sure about Stephenson's superior athleticism relatively to the younger Redd (he's certainly more athletic than Redd in the past few years). He may be a little longer, but it should be a very small difference.

    Redd wasn't the long-range shooter he became later on. In that Ohio team Scoonie Penn had more of that shooter role and Redd would be more of a slasher/versatile scorer, creating more off-the-dribble.

    I also don't think Redd ever was a good off-ball player - good spotting up but not a great cutter. I always thought the Bucks never understood the kind of player he was - more comfortable playing on-the-ball, getting his shot off 1x1 situations + pick'n'roll but off the dribble. A prolific scorer with the ability to create some plays off drive'n'kicks (too much self-absorbed, too focused on scoring, to be a good playmaker though). More a Jalen Rose type of player than Reggie Miller.

    I've only watched Stephenson in the SL, but seeing him there I thought his way of getting to the basket and beating his opponents on isos, how he methodically uses and controls his body (and not great first step/change of gears like Evans, or a textbook footwork like Pierce or plainly bullying his way like Bonzi Wells), how opportunistic he is taking advantage of defenders mistakes, is reminiscent of Redd. My comparison comes more from this plastic perspective and style of play (the go-to scoring + playmaking off the dribble) relatively to the young Michael Redd; I don't think Stephenson will be a similar player to Redd in his NBA career (his lack of shooting ability alone makes this highly unlikely).

    Marquis Daniels is also a good comparison - I think he was a better all-around passer and his scoring game was more the short-range shot than exactly the close shot though.

    I agree, if his talent level is similar to Daniels he should become the proverbial draft steal, let alone if he becomes a player of Redd's quality (also a 2nd rounder).
    Last edited by cordobes; 07-28-2010 at 09:01 PM.

  22. #20
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,375

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: wade ,rose, mayo, lance?

    I'm not seeing Marquis or Michael Redd... I'm actually havin' a hard time finding a good comparison. Which might be a good thing.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:


  24. #21
    Release Psycho T pwee31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,151

    Default Re: wade ,rose, mayo, lance?

    He reminds me of super Flip Murray? lol that might be a bad comparison, but he's like Flip Murray with all-star talent/potential

  25. #22
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,950

    Default Re: wade ,rose, mayo, lance?

    I'm heartened that my humble request to tone down the hyperbole where Lance was concerned was so readily accepted by the posting community.



    Btw, Kstat, thanks for the Skita reference. Any mention of him reminds me of his pathetic attempts at defense, which made Cabbage look like Joe Dumars. I'm gonna have seizures until morning.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  26. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    4,123

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: wade ,rose, mayo, lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow.

    The NBA should run a summer league abuse awareness video, narrated by Marco Belinelli and Nikolz Tskitishvili....

    Please fans, enjoy summer league, but watch responsibly.
    I'm just quoting this because obviously some posters have glossed over it.

    Everyone, please re-read what Kstat wrote. Thank you very much.

  27. #24
    Member BornReady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    2,740

    Default Re: wade ,rose, mayo, lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm just quoting this because obviously some posters have glossed over it.

    Everyone, please re-read what Kstat wrote. Thank you very much.
    I don't see an issue with discussing it. I was actually half wondering if it'd be at all possible without having people cry it's only summer league blahblah. Clearly not. Nobody's anointing him the future of the NBA or a future HOFer, we're only talking about it.

    I mean if that's what it comes down to, shouldn't we also reserve our judgment during the first year, citing that they're rookies and they're still learning?

    Maybe we should all just not discuss anything regarding our new guys until they are in their "prime."

    Or maybe we should start a thread about the insignificance of summer league. After all, it is only summer league, right?
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:


  29. #25
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,677

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: wade ,rose, mayo, lance?

    Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nobody's anointing him the future of the NBA
    Did you read the title of this thread, let alone the first post?
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-28-2010 at 09:56 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Best column I've read on the whole Lebron vs Gilbert feud
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 07-19-2010, 06:23 PM
  2. Shaq and Wade had issues?
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-07-2009, 11:36 PM
  3. Artest guarding Wade
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-19-2004, 02:14 AM
  4. Pacers must do something about Wade
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-11-2004, 05:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •