Thread: What if they promised Artest...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default What if they promised Artest...

they would trade him this summer? Remember early in the year when Ron had his little meltdown? He didn't like the new offensive system and Bird and Carlisle had to talk to him. I don't remember, but he may have even been suspended by the team.

At the time there was a lot of speculation by fans that the Pacers told him to behave the rest of the year and they would trade him after the season. The thought was that they told him to be good or no one else would want him.

Maybe that's what happened. Maybe that's also why Ron didn't start melting down until the end. By that time, he knew the end was near, and he didn't care anymore.

So maybe the Pacers are going to make a mistake when (if) they trade Ron. But maybe this has been in the works for months.

Default Re: What if they promised Artest...

I think Ron had a melt down because of his desire to win. In the Playoffs, against Detroit, he began to force the issue "trying" to help us win... well we all saw what happened when Detroit forced us to the brink of elimination

It's always possible. If its true, I'm going to enjoy seeing him flagrant fouling playing for some other team for years to come.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

As I read my message again, I think I was a little unclear about something. When I say he didn't care anymore at the end, I don't mean he didn't care about winning. I meant he didn't care about fitting the system anymore. I do think he wanted to win.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Granville
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    they would trade him this summer? Remember early in the year when Ron had his little meltdown? He didn't like the new offensive system and Bird and Carlisle had to talk to him. I don't remember, but he may have even been suspended by the team.

At the time there was a lot of speculation by fans that the Pacers told him to behave the rest of the year and they would trade him after the season. The thought was that they told him to be good or no one else would want him.

Maybe that's what happened. Maybe that's also why Ron didn't start melting down until the end. By that time, he knew the end was near, and he didn't care anymore.

So maybe the Pacers are going to make a mistake when (if) they trade Ron. But maybe this has been in the works for months.
    Are you talking about the Nets game where we got stomped but had an almost comeback sparked by AL?I remember seeing on ESPN the comments Rick made he said that 18,000 people had been ripped off (referring to the fans at Conseco seeing the Pacers put on a horrible performance)Also what started that was early in the game Ron put up some dumb shots and Rick benched him.Anyone remember that?
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

This is the incident I am referring to. Again, at the time, many speculated they told him to be good the rest of the year and they'd try to move him in the offseason. Maybe this was the start of what we are going through now. Just a thought.

From the December 30, 2003 Indianapolis Star:

Artest, team clear air

After missed practice, he meets with top Pacers
    SEKOU SMITH SEKOU.SMITH@INDYSTAR.COM

Indiana Pacers forward Ron Artest left Conseco Fieldhouse on Monday night in a new suit, complete with a shirt and tie. It was a new look for a player who insists he has a new attitude.

With a tumultuous weekend and Monday morning behind him, Artest got back to what he does best in the Pacers' 94-86 win over the Memphis Grizzlies.

His 18 points, five rebounds and four assists during a workmanlike 35 minutes made it hard to believe that hours earlier he was embroiled in yet more controversy for his transgressions, both on and off the floor.

Artest missed Monday morning's shootaround practice, was held out of the starting lineup because of his absence, and had a 30-minute closed door meeting with Pacers brass Monday afternoon to "clear the air."

"The one thing that was made clear in that meeting is that you have to put the team first," a contrite and smiling Artest said after redeeming himself with yet another solid performance. "Any issues that you have during or after a game need to be handled later, after you've calmed down and gotten your composure.

"A lot of what happened was my mistake. Definitely. But now everybody now is on the same page and it's time to move on."

That's easier said than done when you consider what transpired in the 48 hours prior to Monday night's game.

Artest was benched for the second half of Saturday night's home loss to New Jersey for what Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said was "conduct detrimental to winning."

That episode conjured up all the images of the enigmatic and uncontrollable Artest of last season. He missed 12 games serving suspensions for flagrant fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct.

Before Monday night's game, even if just for a few minutes, that detached, unpredictable Artest appeared in the locker room.

He was glib when questioned about the meeting, in which team president Larry Bird and Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh joined him and Carlisle.

An openly defiant Artest gave answers that appeared to be based on the nature of the question and who asked it.

He even talked about a sore back keeping him from playing, only to change his mind minutes before tipoff, leaving many observers to wonder if anything had been accomplished earlier in Carlisle's office.

"I thought it was productive and upbeat, honest and forthright. We're looking to get by it and move on," Carlisle said before the game, unaware of Artest's reaction to similar questions about the meeting just moments earlier.

"I view this as an isolated incident that's over with. In my mind, it's in the past and we have to move on."

Both coach and player were adamant in dismissing any notion that Artest would be traded, at least not this season.

"I think Ron's here. I think Ron's here for the year. I'll put it that way," Carlisle said. "He's too valuable a player. He's an essential part to what we're doing. Much of our system is built around his abilities at both ends of the court. So I don't see us trading him.

"But I'm not the official word on that. You'd have to talk to Larry Bird or Donnie Walsh. My feeling would be no, and I think we pretty much told him that today."

Bird and Walsh declined interview requests from The Star through Pacers spokesman David Benner, saying that it was "team matter that had been handled."

After the game, Artest talked about everything being back to normal. He was laughing and joking with teammates when the locker room was opened to the media.

"Ron's a part of our team until the organization says differently and we feel that way about pretty much every other player," said Pacers forward Jermaine O'Neal. "As long as you wear a Pacers uniform, things will happen and you just have to be a pro about it. Forget about it and move on."

"At the end of the day we're all grown men," said Al Harrington, Artest's replacement in the starting lineup.

"We knew he would handle his business."

The first order of business for Artest, by his own admission, is to learn how to cope when things aren't going his way.

Even more important, though, is his acknowledgment that it's he who must conform to Carlisle's system, and not the other way around.

"Coach ain't compromising," Artest said.

"He's going to run his offense the way he wants to run it. We just have to learn all the plays that he's got and we have to learn to play in his system."

Call Star reporter Sekou Smith at 1-317-444-6053.

Zesty

Hmm...

"I think Ron's here. I think Ron's here for the year. I'll put it that way," Carlisle said.

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty
    Hmm...

"I think Ron's here. I think Ron's here for the year. I'll put it that way," Carlisle said.
    Exactly. This train started down the tracks back in December. I'm not saying it is a good decision (not saying it is a bad one either), but for those of you who want to know why we would trade Artest, I think this is your answer.

I think you're trying to hard to come up with an explanation.

And I'm 95% certain that Bird / Walsh would never promise to trade anyone.

They have been known to promise to explore the waters and see if anything equitable can be worked out. But that's about it. After all, they have a business to run.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    I think you're trying to hard to come up with an explanation.

And I'm 95% certain that Bird / Walsh would never promise to trade anyone.

They have been known to promise to explore the waters and see if anything equitable can be worked out. But that's about it. After all, they have a business to run.
    Could be. And your right, Bird probably wouldn't make that promise to a player. But would he to Carlisle?

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Please don't trade Ron!I don't think Bird would promise to trade a player.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions