Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Granger demanded a trade, how would we react?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default If Granger demanded a trade, how would we react?

The Chris Paul situation got me thinking: If our star player made it publicly known that he wanted out, how would us, as fans, react? I'd probably be a little taken aback by it, and no matter what happens from then on, I'd have lost a little respect for Danny and would never like him quite as much. Thoughts?

Default Re: If Granger demanded a trade, how would we react?

I would be pissed and i would hope that we did to him what we did to everyone else who requested trades in the past ship him to the wort team possible and make him regret it being traded until his contract was up

LoneGranger would be no more.

I would be disappointed, but I also wouldn't blame him. That being said, I don't see that happening because I'm pretty sure he sees the same promise in our rookies and young guys that we do
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

Honestly? There would be a tinge of disappointment(I like all players to stay their entire careers with the same team they began their career in however its a rarity these days)

Beyond that? I wouldn't care I mean given how the Pacers are probably not going to amount to much at this point in time and assuming no major improvement I'd understand. These guys have a limited time for their playing careers. I have no issue with letting them decide what's best for them.

There's no loyalty in professional sports. None. You're only as useful to the owner for a certain amount of time he can cut you and trade you without your consent.

Besides I root for the name on the front not the name on the back. Its all about the Blue and Gold at the end of the day and the players are interchangeable.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've always been unhappy when players raise a fuss during their contract. There's a whole different level of responsibility in the middle of a commitment vs. what might be there at the end of it.

This is raised to a higher level when you have players the franchise has in fact shown loyalty to and raised their visibility in the community and the rest of the league. There's a big difference between the guy who comes in on a contract and plays at the end of the bench vs. the guy who is the face of the franchise and gets the max raises and contract extensions. Everyone is aware of the investment going into the team from both sides, so for that investment to pan out there needs to be loyalty on all sides. The players the Pacers have traded in this situation have nearly ALL been done after mutual discussion or player demand, NOT because the Pacers FO crumples them up and throws them away.

I want to see players on the team who have a long term view, who are good in the community, and feel a part of the team rather than trying to get the best for them and to heck with anyone else on the team or in the community. That seems to be more and more naive, as the general consensus looks to be turning toward the NBA as a league of a few superstars who control it all and a bunch of other guys who hope to hang on with them, all put together in a half dozen touring teams who put on shows around the country. No teams as such, no fans, just the owner who gets to rent the great ones for a season or two.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

I would be pissed if anyone on the Pacers went public that they wanted to traded. Once you go public, youre stock drops and the team that currently has you will get nothing in return.

One thing I clearly remember, doesnt matter how much anyone is pissed at JO, he never once went public that he wasnt happy in Indy and wanted out. It was obvious that he wanted out, but he never once went public. He carried everything in a professional demeaner and at least we received a decent package for him (Hibbert + expirer + Ford)
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Blame Jim O'Brien of course

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Blame Jim O'Brien of course

That was my 1st thought... J/K.

I like Granger, but I'm not "in love" with Granger. If he wanted traded and the Pacers could get "good value" in exchange, then I'd be fine with it, BUT only if the Pacers could get "good value" in return. Nor do I want to have add other valuable assets to accomplish his request thus depleting the overall quality of the team to accomplish his wish.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

I don't think that Granger would demand a trade any time soon. Danny likes nothing more thatn to shoot the ball, and he has the green light here to shoot whenever he pleases. He wouldn't have that freedom elsewhere.

Chris Paul is making the right decision in requesting to leave. The Hornets are a train wreck with no idea of how to fix it. Maybe this new team, but it's a rookie GM+rookie coach+owner trying to sell. Not enough done to deserve his trust at this point (They still shouldn't trade him though).

The Pacers have an identifiable strategy. Good or bad, it's difficult to think what they could have done differently in the last couple of years. They should have a roster comprised of players who produce above or at the level of their salaries in one year. Not much of a reason for Granger to request a trade now. Maybe in 2 years.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

see the Ron Artest trade demand thread, circa 2005. There are multiple stages: denial, anger, acceptance, and more anger.
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-26-2010 at 03:25 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    see the Ron Artest thread, circa 2006.
    Close, but not quite. I'd be ****ty. Though, if I were a Hornets fan in the Paul situation, I'd be ****ty at the organization. If it were an out of the blue, "I wanna play with Melo!" I'd be mad at Granger.

And there's countless other factors that if made public in a trade request would push me toward one side or the other.

Wait, if Paul demands a trade it's the fault of the Hornets, but if Granger demands a trade, it's Granger's fault? Care to explain that?

Paul and Granger have been in the NBA for the same amount of time. Which organization has done a better job of building around their star since 2006?
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-26-2010 at 03:29 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Wait, if Paul demands a trade it's the fault of the Hornets, but if Granger demands a trade, it's Granger's fault? Care to explain that?
    Easy. Pay attention to what I said. Maybe I should have explained it like this:

If Granger demands a trade because his GM was fired, his coach was fired, there are multiple salary dumps and the roster is a complete mess, as well as an owner intent to sell, the total amount of uncertainty would seem more reasonable. It would be the organization's fault.

If Granger demands a trade because he wants to play with someone else, like Amare, it would be Granger's fault.

Now it would seem that Paul is using both reasons. But I think the second is just a reaction from the first in that case.

Paul and Granger have been in the NBA for the same amount of time. Which organization has done a better job of building around their star since 2006?
    Paul was the rookie of the year. No one thought Granger would be a "star" until he averaged 19ppg. In his third season. You don't draft Granger and start building around him because you don't know he's going to turn into the player he is.

I think it's reasonable to say we didn't really START building around Granger until the '08 draft. Hampered with the contracts we had, I'd say we've done a decent job setting up for the future at this point.

A lot of people were predicting stardom from Granger right out of the gate. It's not like he surprised everyone.

A lot of people were predicting stardom from Granger right out of the gate. It's not like he surprised everyone.
    If you thought he'd be averaging 25ppg, wow.... If I remember right, one of the negatives on Granger was that his ceiling wasn't as high as others in the draft, but his floor was better.

Yes, the Pacers knew they had a good player in Granger early, but I really doubt they made the decision to build around him until JO proved spent, Artest was traded, and Jackson and Al were tossed to GS.

The reaction from most everybody (including me) at the time in the thread was that the Pacers got one of the more obvious steals in draft history.

The reaction from most everybody (including me) at the time in the thread was that the Pacers got one of the more obvious steals in draft history.
    Well, I'm glad that the skilled armchair talent scouts were able to correctly determine that the Pacers drafted a star player at 17. Good thing the Pacers shifted gears immediately and began to build around our new immediate face of the franchise.

The difference is that Paul came out and had the opportunity to show the extent of his skills at the start of his career. Danny wasn't even the fifth option on his team. Paul was a star before Granger was a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwalt72 View Post
    Well, I'm glad that the skilled armchair talent scouts were able to correctly determine that the Pacers drafted a star player at 17. Good thing the Pacers shifted gears immediately and began to build around our new immediate face of the franchise.
    ...and their alternative was to build around...who?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwalt72 View Post
    To be fair, Larry said that Granger was at the top of their draft board. IIRC there was even a feel-good story after the fact that Larry apologized to Danny after he worked out for them prior to the draft for wasting Danny's time, because he thought Danny would be off the board long before the Pacers had the chance to select him.

Also, Bill Simmons talks regularly about how he was extremely excited to find out that the C's were going to be able to chose from Danny and Gerald Green. Thankfully for the Pacers, they took Danny instead of going with the dreaded "P" word, "potential."

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If Granger privately demands a trade, the Pacers should quietly and quickly trade him.

If he publicly demands a trade, the Pacers should slowly shop him around the league, decide that none of the offers are for Danny's true value, and let his stock dwindle further and further. After all, isn't that part of the great strategy We've employed while TJ, Tinsley, Dunleavy, Murphy and Rasho have led us to multiple championships? Wait. That's not right.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

...and their alternative was to build around...who?
    The Pacers were still trying to build around JO and Ron.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post: