Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: It took Walsh 8 years, so just maybe Bird deserves a little more time

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: It took Walsh 8 years, so just maybe Bird deserves a little more time

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why would he stay on, because he won many MANY awards for training? He could have gotten a job anywhere he wanted. After being a trainer for the Pacers for 35 freaking years, why wouldn't you want to slow down?

I would put my money he got tired of reading comments on here talking about how the training staff sucked because Foster came down with a case of the common cold.
    I'd put my money that Bird/ Walsh got tired of reading/ hearing those comments and might have even been thinking the same sentiments themselves.

They gave him a "graceful exit" since he wasn't ready to do so on his own. Just like when George Irvine ended up in the front office when they wanted to bring in a new, better coach. Or do you believe that Irvine was "promoted" to a meaningless front office job because of his excellent 54-130 coaching record?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: It took Walsh 8 years, so just maybe Bird deserves a little more time

Craig was the 2003 winner of the Joe O’Toole NBA Athletic Trainer of the Year award; a 1995 inductee into the Indiana Athletic Trainers Association Hall of Fame as well as that organization’s Trainer of the Year winner in 1993; 2001 winner of the Distinguished Trainer Award from the National Athletic Trainers Association; a two-time NBA All-Star trainer and in 2004 served as a trainer for the U.S. Olympic basketball team.
    http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/craig_050620.html

Great comparison.

And yet he was fired, just the same. And given a consolation prize in the front office to save face, just the same.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    And yet he was fired, just the same. And given a consolation prize in the front office to save face, just the same.
    Maybe it was realted to the whole Tinsley episode. Maybe he got hush money not to file suit of negligence against the Pacers

just thinking
    Sittin on top of the world!

Do you know he was fired?

In Pacerland it's also possible he was thinking of retiring, cutting back, etc and instead got a position created for him where he could collect a check and not have to do a whole lot for it just as a thank you for his time with the organization.

I have no idea. I agree in 49 states it would smell like a firing... but this Indiana.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

You're going to have to actually dig up some actual evidence. There actually ARE things called promotions, that don't need hidden agendas.

You're trying to claim that a man, who was routinely getting awards in his respective field, was so bad at doing his job they wanted to get rid of him. To put it plainly, it doesn't pass the smell test.

Yes, and moving a certified athletic trainer to the front office because they were hiring his replacement is not a promotion.

Bball, you could be onto something. This could have been part of "his pension" - a decent-paying no-responsiblity front office job.

I recall reading that he was tired of traveling. But he also had an assistant trainer that was replaced, too. As I recall, they dumped the entire training staff but they allowed David to stay on in the front office.

Even the news release that Since86 referenced starts with this,

"The Indiana Pacers announced Monday that longtime athletic trainer David Craig has been moved to the front office as assistant to the president, specializing in the medical aspects of the franchise." (Emphasis added.)

And ends with:

"Walsh said an announcement of the makeup of the training staff will be announced at a later date."

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/craig_050620.html

on a side note ,

Muggy as heck in Chitown today no?

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    You're trying to claim that a man, who was routinely getting awards in his respective field, was so bad at doing his job they wanted to get rid of him. To put it plainly, it doesn't pass the smell test.
    That's Kegboy's point in the first place. Bird was cleaning house and brining in who he wanted.

I've not insinuated that he was fired for performance reasons, have I? Firing an incumbent because you want to build your own team of yes-men is a commonly accepted business practice. Not necessarily a good one, but a common one.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    on a side note ,

Muggy as heck in Chitown today no?
    God, yes.

I've got an appointment today to have my running stride videotaped - pary of my never-ending string of physical therapy (plantar faciaitiis, achilles tendonitis, IT band syndrome, etc.)

I'm just glad I didn't run to Grant Park at lunch time. I like hot weather, but this is way too muggy for anybody.

Did last weeks' storms casue any problems for you? Elmhurst got hit pretty bad, but this article cracks me up... blaming the mayor for getting 8 inches of rain in four hours is a bit silly.

http://triblocal.com/Elmhurst/detail/200515.html

That's Kegboy's point in the first place. Bird was cleaning house and brining in who he wanted.

I've not insinuated that he was fired for performance reasons, have I? Firing an incumbent because you want to build your own team of yes-men is a commonly accepted business practice. Not necessarily a good one, but a common one.
    Except the fact that Craig was moved to the front office June 20, 2005 and Larry was hired July 11, 2003.

Awfully dirty house if it takes two years to clean it.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Much to your shock and chagrin I am not only going to agree with you to a point but I will one up you in the support for Donnie in this case.
    Hear that, Elizabeth? I'm comin' to join you, honey...
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Donnie Walsh was hired by the Knicks in April of 2008. Before that time he was here in Indiana. Nobody knows who was calling the shots before that. People who hate Bird just loooove to assume, but they know nothing. However I have a hard time believing the guy who had ran this team for so long had the keys removed from his hand, and Bird was in charge since 2003 .... all while Donnie stuck around for 5 years to pretend he was doing something. Sounds rather silly, no?

People forget that so quickly when they want to crucify Bird for a lot of decisions he more than likely, didn't make.
    Right, if Bird was calling all the shots since 03 he would have been let go by now. I personally think Bird has drafted very well considering Indiana has not has a top 9 pick the last few years.

I would like to see JOB get the ax tho....

God, yes.
    I've got an appointment today to have my running stride videotaped - pary of my never-ending string of physical therapy (plantar faciaitiis, achilles tendonitis, IT band syndrome, etc.)

I'm just glad I didn't run to Grant Park at lunch time. I like hot weather, but this is way too muggy for anybody.

Did last weeks' storms casue any problems for you? Elmhurst got hit pretty bad, but this article cracks me up... blaming the mayor for getting 8 inches of raihttp://triblocal.com/Elmhurst/detail/200515.html
    n in four hours is a bit silly.

Yeah our power was out for a little bit

On a side note I am a certified athletic trainer, PM ' me if you would like some advice on how to treat the injury

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    cordobes - that game that I remember was sometime during the lowly days when M.L. Carr was coaching. Pre-Pitino.

What you have brought up in my mind is the idea of Bird/Pitino - if Bird was a proponent of Pitino, why would Pitino not have wanted to work under him? Seems that is the way things work in the businessworld - you often work for the guy who supports your hiring. The reason I am surprised about Bird supporting Pitino is from that famous presser of Pitino's --- "Larry Bird isn't walking through that door...." While the reference was related to Larry's playing days, it seemingly also cast out the idea that Larry would really be involved in the basketball operations whatsoever. I personally thought it was a bit of a diss to Larry, and am curious of how Larry took it.

I was thinking the Pitino connection to the Celtics wasn't Bird, it was David Gavitt, certainly a legend in the PC/Rhode Island community.
    I think Pitino was more than pleased to have Bird lobbying for him but that he wouldn't have liked to share the stage with anyone else, especially someone with such an high profile as Bird, even if he was guaranteed the final say in every relevant decision (a sine qua non condition for him to accept the job). Heck, he went to the length of stripping Red from his President title and to kick him out of Celtics team photo, a 40 years old tradition (I recall that in year 1 they were both at the center of the photo holding the basketball together, then in year 2 Red wasn't at the center any more and in the following years he simply vanished).

I really don't think the rant had anything to do with this. He also talked about McHale and Parish and Bird was already the Pacers coach when Pitino delivered that tirade.

I don't know about Gavitt either - he was Red's most loyal soldier, the one he brought in still in the late 80s to prepare as his heir, so I don't think he'd lobby for Pitino when Red was opposed to it. I'm not really sure about this, but I think Gavitt left when Gaston bought the team and ML Carr was promoted to GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    The New York Knicks when Pitino coached them were one of the hardest playing teams I have ever seen, I mean ever. he did a great job coaching that team. I was extremely impressed what he got that team to do and how hard they played.

In Boston it just didn't work, the players didn't buy in and he was a disaster in Boston.

Why this occurred and why the huge difference? I don't know, probably different type players not willing to play and buy in to his system and his approach.

If Pitino had never gone to the Celtics and we only had his Knicks to judge, I would be a huge fan of his too, (even if I don't think his system is best suited for the NBA) I'll repeat the Knicks were maybe the hardest playing team I've ever seen. So I wouldn't criticize Bird if he is a big fan of Pitino
    I'd add that Pitino was, in the mid 90s, an extremely successful college coach and an incredibly charismatic figure. Plenty of NBA teams were seeking his services - Gaston gave him full-control over the franchise and one of the highest salaries in the league for a coach/executive, if not the highest. Anyway, being a fan of Pitino as a NBA coach was normal those days - he had a very good reputation. We know now that undeserved.

(I also think Pitino was even worse as a talent evaluator and a manager - as a conductor of NBA players - than as a coach, but this isn't a thread about the Cs so I'll shut up about this).