Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It took Walsh 8 years, so just maybe Bird deserves a little more time

Default Re: It took Walsh 8 years, so just maybe Bird deserves a little more time

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From my understanding it was actually Carlisle that did most of the coaching with Bird doing more of the player management.
    agreed. my point exactly. can't really have an accident if someone else is driving, ya know?
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Default Re: It took Walsh 8 years, so just maybe Bird deserves a little more time

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    My only contribution to this whole discussion is:

There is a reason that Larry Bird never made it up the ladder in the Celtics organization. As I understand it, in the late 90's he certainly aspired to but he was placed in the scouting department. Red Auerbach didn't deem him management material. And living myself in the shadow of Boston, Larry is still Legend in these parts.... so it wasn't for a lack of respect within the community.
    This is a lateral issue, but Red retired as a decision-maker the year Paul Gaston bought the team, 1993 I think. He had more of a Queen of England role from then on, especially during the Pitino era. Then he'd have a more prominent role, as an advisor, once Chris Wallace was promoted to GM. Those were the Gaston/ML Carr/Pitino/Volk years. Difficult to see how Bird could have done worse than them, regardless of how lousy he may be.
    Last edited by cordobes; 07-26-2010 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    I'd like to point out that if you're going to hold Bird responsible for decisions during the Bird/ Walsh era that you should hold Morway responsible for all the decisions in the Morway/Bird era.
    Absolutely. He is the GM after all.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    Those were the Gaston/ML Carr/Pitino/Volk years.
    Why can't the Green Guys go back to that? Those were some of the most enjoyable years of the NBA.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    This is a lateral issue, but Red retired as a decision-maker the year Paul Gaston bought the team, 1993 I think. He had more of a Queen of England role from then on, especially during the Pitino era. Then he'd have a more prominent role, as an advisor, once Chris Wallace was promoted to GM. Those were the Gaston/ML Carr/Pitino/Volk years. Difficult to see how Bird could have done worse than them, regardless of how lousy he may be.
    Thank you for engaging my post cordobes - I realized that there were some shakeups around this time with the Celtics and remember M.L. Carr as the guy who was doing a lot of the business on the surface but wasn't the undertone, the understood idea, that Red was running the squad behind the scenes?

I very vividly remember watching a Celts game in the late 90's on NBC where they caught Larry in a screenshot sitting in the stands and talking about his lowly role with the team, all thought to be due to circumstances related to Red's judgments about him. Is this not true?

As a native Hoosier, I felt bad about that situation when I heard it. Then a couple of years later, Larry surprisingly joins the Pacers and while that dangling thought was in my head, he wins Coach of the Year and then later leads a squad to the NBA Finals. Only more recently have the rumors related to Red re-surfaced in my mind.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

and so I guess the question really is - why did boston celtics never really give larry a chance?

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

You can argue all day on whether Walsh or Bird made what calls prior to '08 but the bottom line is at this point it is only an assumption or a guess.

It is a certainty that he has been in control since then so until it is a certainty what happened before then, whether you like Bird or not, he should be judged on what is known to be a fact otherwise bias and subjective judgements will distort the facts.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Larry Staverman For This Useful Post:

I'd like to point out that if you don't consider Walsh one of the greatest GM's of all time then it's a little easier to believe some of the problems the team has faced in the past decade are in part his own fault.

For one thing, Bird didn't hire Isiah for a team just coming off the finals. Bird didn't ignore Rik Smits injury history and talk of retirement. Bird didn't refuse to extend MJackson and RMiller PRIOR to the finals season. Bird didn't trade AD for Bender. Bird didn't sign Croshere to his new contract after the finals. Bird didn't promise Jalen the PG role. Bird didn't let the team spiral down the tubes until a trade HAD to be made... which brought in Artest, BMiller, Ollie, and Mercer. And let's not pretend that Walsh sought out Artest has the missing piece of the puzzle. Bird didn't sign Tinsley to that riciculously long and overpriced contract. Bird might've been around but he had nothing to do with hitching the Pacers wagon to Jermaine O'Neal and his max deal.

There are plenty of question marks about Bird NOW but let's stop pretending Donnie Walsh was heading this team to someplace special with the moves he was making. The man thought the 90's team was done with their loss in '99 to the Knicks. That's why he traded AD for Bender and refused to extend Reggie or Jax.

Honestly, following Brown with Bird was a fairly ballsy and risky move... and questionable at best. It smelled of a gimmick hire by a team that didn't need any gimmicks. But he rolled a 7 there.... which might lead you to believe he was a genius seeing what others could not see. Then, going to the well once too often he went with the unproven Thomas and this time rolled snake eyes. Replace genius crown with dunce hat.

In fact, some of what Walsh did was downright inept. So for all the good he did, there were some real head scratchers in there too....
    When you look at it that way, it's not hard to believe he gets plenty of blame for the mess we're in too.

None of this is to excuse Bird, he's not exactly done much to instill any confidence from the time we can say his reign officially began. He got rid of the Diva and for that I will always be grateful, but we hung onto Tinsley and awfully long time and I still do not see the value in extending O'Brien and keeping him around another season. But to start the clock on Bird while Walsh was still here doesn't seem very fair or make sense to me. Walsh was the top of the totem pole and it makes no sense for him just to be watching TV and collecting a check. I've always said, even if Bird did have some control and input he was filtering things thru what he thought Donnie would accept or expect.

And after Walsh left the team did take a new direction....
    It's hard to say it's a better one though. It could be an equally bad one....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Thank you for engaging my post cordobes - I realized that there were some shakeups around this time with the Celtics and remember M.L. Carr as the guy who was doing a lot of the business on the surface but wasn't the undertone, the understood idea, that Red was running the squad behind the scenes?

I very vividly remember watching a Celts game in the late 90's on NBC where they caught Larry in a screenshot sitting in the stands and talking about his lowly role with the team, all thought to be due to circumstances related to Red's judgments about him. Is this not true?

As a native Hoosier, I felt bad about that situation when I heard it. Then a couple of years later, Larry surprisingly joins the Pacers and while that dangling thought was in my head, he wins Coach of the Year and then later leads a squad to the NBA Finals. Only more recently have the rumors related to Red re-surfaced in my mind.
    As I recall it, Red picked Carr. But then he had a very small role in those following because he had his heart surgery about that time, stayed away for awhile and Gaston didn't want Red calling the big shots any more. I read this in one of his biographies, not sure which one. I doubt Red was making decisions those years. Not in the same way he still was in the Dave Gavitt's years.

What I remember is that during the ML Carr debacle, around 1996 or so, Bird wanted to bring in Pitino and campaigned for him within the organization. I recall Bird even made phone calls to Pitino asking him if he'd join the Celtics to work with him. Red hated the Pitino idea from the beginning because he was a foreigner (Red never wanted people outside the "Celtics family" in high-level positions, he had a lot of pride in the club - his - legacy in forming coaches and executives), so maybe Bird fell out of grace with him there? Bird was indeed a big proponent of Pitino and Red the staunchest opposer. When was that game you remember? Ironically Pitino was hired and Bird still left. I can't remember what happened first, to be honest. I doubt Pitino would agree to serve under or alongside Bird anyway, his ego wouldn't allow it. Still, Gaston didn't even tell Red he had hired Pitino - Auerbach was an afterthought for him during most of his ownership.

and so I guess the question really is - why did boston celtics never really give larry a chance?
    I guess they didn't think he was up to/ready for the job. But considering the quality of the decision-making during those years I wouldn't put much stock into it.

Banned

I don't think that either Walsh or Bird are good GM's, they both destroyed this franchise together and now Bird is trying to rebuild it slowly, I'll give him one more year to see what he is going to do but at this moment does not look too promising.

Bird was a big Pitino coaching fan? I never knew that.

And now the Pacers are heading into year 4 of Jim O'Brien...

Hmmmmmmm
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I have a feeling we're going to get a somewhat big named player in 2011.

Someone like Al Horford, Carl Landry, Mike Conley and/or even Michael Redd.

I like Bird and I think he knows what he's doing by waiting it out until next summer (hopefully) to make big moves.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Banned

Big name free agent? MR was a big name long time ago and the rest of the guys are just ok

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    I have a feeling we're going to get a somewhat big named player in 2011.

I like Bird and I think he knows what he's doing by waiting it out until next summer (hopefully) to make big moves.
    Horford is a stud. The rest of that group are bit players on a winner.

I hope to god the Larry Bird 7 year rebuild wasn't an elaborate scheme to get mike Redd and Carl fn Landry on this roster?

It's like the movie "major league" only NBA style.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Bird was a big Pitino coaching fan? I never knew that.

And now the Pacers are heading into year 4 of Jim O'Brien...

Hmmmmmmm
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure he was. Those days lots of people were, Pitino's reputation was immense, but Bird really wanted him. Red Auerbach was also a very big fan of Jim O'Brien; not of Pitino though.

cordobes - that game that I remember was sometime during the lowly days when M.L. Carr was coaching. Pre-Pitino.

What you have brought up in my mind is the idea of Bird/Pitino - if Bird was a proponent of Pitino, why would Pitino not have wanted to work under him? Seems that is the way things work in the businessworld - you often work for the guy who supports your hiring. The reason I am surprised about Bird supporting Pitino is from that famous presser of Pitino's --- "Larry Bird isn't walking through that door...." While the reference was related to Larry's playing days, it seemingly also cast out the idea that Larry would really be involved in the basketball operations whatsoever. I personally thought it was a bit of a diss to Larry, and am curious of how Larry took it.

I was thinking the Pitino connection to the Celtics wasn't Bird, it was David Gavitt, certainly a legend in the PC/Rhode Island community.

I find the revelation that Bird is/was a big Pitino fan to be at least a little disturbing. Hopefully he's revised his opinion since that time, but then again he's backing Jim now.....

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Big name free agent? MR was a big name long time ago and the rest of the guys are just ok
    Somewhat big free agent is what I said.

I think Redd is still going to be a pretty good player once he returns.

I'd take my chances on him and sign him to a cheap 2 year deal or so. Maybe longer depending on his recovery.

"I'm your huckleberry"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I'd like to point out that if you don't consider Walsh one of the greatest GM's of all time then it's a little easier to believe some of the problems the team has faced in the past decade are in part his own fault.

For one thing, Bird didn't hire Isiah for a team just coming off the finals. Bird didn't ignore Rik Smits injury history and talk of retirement. Bird didn't refuse to extend MJackson and RMiller PRIOR to the finals season. Bird didn't trade AD for Bender. Bird didn't sign Croshere to his new contract after the finals. Bird didn't promise Jalen the PG role. Bird didn't let the team spiral down the tubes until a trade HAD to be made... which brought in Artest, BMiller, Ollie, and Mercer. And let's not pretend that Walsh sought out Artest has the missing piece of the puzzle. Bird didn't sign Tinsley to that riciculously long and overpriced contract. Bird might've been around but he had nothing to do with hitching the Pacers wagon to Jermaine O'Neal and his max deal.

There are plenty of question marks about Bird NOW but let's stop pretending Donnie Walsh was heading this team to someplace special with the moves he was making. The man thought the 90's team was done with their loss in '99 to the Knicks. That's why he traded AD for Bender and refused to extend Reggie or Jax.

Honestly, following Brown with Bird was a fairly ballsy and risky move... and questionable at best. It smelled of a gimmick hire by a team that didn't need any gimmicks. But he rolled a 7 there.... which might lead you to believe he was a genius seeing what others could not see. Then, going to the well once too often he went with the unproven Thomas and this time rolled snake eyes. Replace genius crown with dunce hat.

In fact, some of what Walsh did was downright inept. So for all the good he did, there were some real head scratchers in there too....
    When you look at it that way, it's not hard to believe he gets plenty of blame for the mess we're in too.

None of this is to excuse Bird, he's not exactly done much to instill any confidence from the time we can say his reign officially began. He got rid of the Diva and for that I will always be grateful, but we hung onto Tinsley and awfully long time and I still do not see the value in extending O'Brien and keeping him around another season. But to start the clock on Bird while Walsh was still here doesn't seem very fair or make sense to me. Walsh was the top of the totem pole and it makes no sense for him just to be watching TV and collecting a check. I've always said, even if Bird did have some control and input he was filtering things thru what he thought Donnie would accept or expect.

And after Walsh left the team did take a new direction....
    It's hard to say it's a better one though. It could be an equally bad one....
    Was it Walsh that went on to extend Bender's contract?
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I will be silent, I will be silent, I will be silent
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I find the revelation that Bird is/was a big Pitino fan to be at least a little disturbing. Hopefully he's revised his opinion since that time, but then again he's backing Jim now.....
    The New York Knicks when Pitino coached them were one of the hardest playing teams I have ever seen, I mean ever. he did a great job coaching that team. I was extremely impressed what he got that team to do and how hard they played.

In Boston it just didn't work, the players didn't buy in and he was a disaster in Boston.

Why this occurred and why the huge difference? I don't know, probably different type players not willing to play and buy in to his system and his approach.

If Pitino had never gone to the Celtics and we only had his Knicks to judge, I would be a huge fan of his too, (even if I don't think his system is best suited for the NBA) I'll repeat the Knicks were maybe the hardest playing team I've ever seen. So I wouldn't criticize Bird if he is a big fan of Pitino

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Bull****. When Donnie left, he was replaced by 3 people. Larry continued as president of basketball operations, Jim Morris was brought in to be president of business operations, Rick Fuson was promoted to COO, and Herb was named CEO in Donnie's place.

Does Donnie deserve blame? Absolutely. But this pollyanna notion that Larry deserves none is ridiculous. If you really believe he was a "yes man" or even better, "Boomer for Adults", who's to say he isn't doing the same thing still, with Morway replacing Donnie as the brains and Herb as the decision maker.

Did I say he didn't deserve ANY blame? No, a big HELL NO. I'm sure there was plenty of things Bird did wrong, and steered Donnie in the wrong direction, like Saras.

Donnie was at the wheel. Larry was in the passenger seat. If Donnie didn't want to sign Saras, we wouldn't have. End of story. The buck stops at Donnie.

Is the President's cabinet, GI Joe for adults? No. They're advisors to the man that makes the decisions. They give him advice, they steer him in directions, but it's his head on the line if they go badly. Now if they continually give him bad advice that he gets burned on, then he can fire them. But if you're the captain, you get the blame if your ship goes down.

We don't know what all Larry did or didn't do. Again, that's the problem with a "two-headed monster."

I would rather use information based on facts, and what we do know happened, or is happening, rather than guess.

Am I giving Bird a pass while Donnie was here? No, not even close. But I'm not going to tie a noose because of it either.

The fact that you have to refer to him as the "green hick" or something similiar shows that you have a personal bias towards him. I'm not saying you can't. Just atleast admit your rope for him is shorter because of it. You're more critical of him because you don't like him personally, as opposed to just basing it on what he did, or is going, to do.

I need to make this quick, but you're confusing me with others on the "green hick" stuff. I liked Larry just fine when he coached, and I hoped he would stay on afterwards. But all I've seen since he came back is one horrible move after another, and this "clean slate" stuff infuriates me. But hell, if you want to pretend he isn't at fault by saying "we're not sure", that's fine. Judging him on Jimmy's extension and the "let's sit on our hand's for 3 years" plan, he still deserves to go.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    We don't know what all Larry did or didn't do. Again, that's the problem with a "two-headed monster."
    And the two-headed monster sucked.

Which is interesting, because Donnie's had a pretty successful career other than that stretch. And Bird has done both good and bad things since then.

So its really pointless to try to carve up the blame between them. They were a bad team when they were together, and Bird is in charge of cleaning up their collective mess even though the Simons claim they wanted Donnie to stay on when he "retired". Go figure...
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    I need to make this quick, but you're confusing me with others on the "green hick" stuff. I liked Larry just fine when he coached, and I hoped he would stay on afterwards. But all I've seen since he came back is one horrible move after another, and this "clean slate" stuff infuriates me. But hell, if you want to pretend he isn't at fault by saying "we're not sure", that's fine. Judging him on Jimmy's extension and the "let's sit on our hand's for 3 years" plan, he still deserves to go.
    What would have been your approach had Donnie handed you the reigns leading into the 2008 draft?

I thought when you discussed your philosophy a few summers back (well, more than that now, I suppose; it was at Donato's), you were a fan of drafting proven players from prominent colleges. Larry went and got Roy Hibbert, Brandon Rush, Tyler Hansbrough, and AJ Price before swinging for the fences with this year's crop.