Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ranking the Eastern Conference

Default Re: Ranking the Eastern Conference

Anywhere from 7-11 sounds right, but if a move at the trade deadline happens like most expect, that could really change things. Shouldn't the schedule be coming out soon, or did I totally miss it?
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think this is pretty close, but I would do some minor shuffling:

1) Miami
    2) Boston
    3) Orlando
    4) Atlanta
    5) Chicago
    6) Milwaukee
    7) New York
    8) Indiana
    9) Philadelphia
    10) Charlotte
    11) Detroit
    12) Cleveland
    13) Washington
    14) New Jersey
    15) Toronto

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

ESPN's early prediction:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...-EastStandings
    Miami Heat 62-21
    Meet the Miami Globetrotters -- with the rest of the East playing the part of the Washington Generals. Our panel says the Super Friends should run circles around the rest of the conference, except perhaps for Orlando. Then again, Boston eliminated both D-Wade and King James a year ago, so that's why they play the postseason

Orlando Magic 56-26
    The Magic stumbled vs. the Celtics in the East finals, but this is much the same team that won five series the past two postseasons. Orlando might have some magical maneuvers left, perhaps shipping out Vince Carter and/or finding a way to get Chris Paul. Until then, given Miami's summer, Orlando reverts to dangerous sleeper status.

Boston Celtics 51-31
    The C's showed the regular season means nothing to them, beating the Cavs and Magic despite starting on the road, and almost doing the same to the Lakers. So it matters little that Boston is projected to win "only" 51 games, as long as it can get KG, Perk and the other Men in Green healthy for April, May and June.

Chicago Bulls 50-32
    The East's second tier welcomes a new member: Chicago. The Bulls swung and missed on LeBron, D-Wade and CB4, but they did get Carlos Boozer, a deeper bench and a new coach, Tom Thibodeau. That and the sharp ascent of Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah mean that Chicago's sellout crowds finally have something to see.

Atlanta Hawks 48-34
    Amazingly, Atlanta has improved for five straight seasons, but our panel says the streak ends here. The Hawks are a solid team that seems stuck in no man's land, having failed to make the conference finals for 40 years -- since the Lakers swept them in the 1970 Western Division finals -- and that probably won't change in 2011.

Milwaukee Bucks 46-36
    The East seems to have six sure playoff teams, and for the first time in years, Milwaukee is a member of that echelon. Our panel remains in a prove-it-to-me posture regarding whether the Bucks can crack the East's upper crust, but if Brandon Jennings progresses and Andrew Bogut's arm is OK, the pieces are in place.

Charlotte Bobcats 39-43
    Have they peaked? Fresh off of its best season in franchise history, Charlotte's roster looks weaker, its division looks stronger, and Larry Brown -- naturally -- looks like he's itching to leave. Still, with two spots up for grabs, they'll likely earn back-to-back playoff appearances and, in this scenario, a first-round rematch with the Magic.

New York Knicks 37-45
    Knicks in the playoffs! But NY fans had more than an eight-game improvement in mind when the team entered the offseason with the ability to sign two superstars. The Amare addition should help, and Mike D'Antoni finally gets some horses to run his system, but the future remains murky. Still, Spike Lee has something to cheer about.

Washington Wizards 32-50
    Excited about John Wall? So is our panel, which forecasts the Wizards finishing five spots higher. That says a lot about the uncertainty at the bottom of the East, but it also reflects the renewed hope expected in Washington's locker room after the gun incident that cost the team Gilbert Arenas -- now the other half of the Wiz backcourt.

*Indiana Pacers 31-51
    The Pacers essentially stood pat and might miss the playoffs for the fifth straight season. But there appears to be a light at the end of the tunnel -- Indy is armed with expiring contracts and on track to have cap space next summer. Meanwhile, the Pacers hope to build on last season's 10-4 finish and avoid the East cellar.

*Philadelphia 76ers 31-51
    Even a new coach (Doug Collins) and the No. 2 pick (Evan Turner) didn't give Philly much of a boost in our forecast. While the Sixers have the raw materials to emerge as a surprise team in the East, our panel fears their roster of bad contracts, mismatched pieces and redundant talent will render them mediocre at best.

*Detroit Pistons 31-51
    The Pistons haven't missed the playoffs in consecutive seasons since 1994 and 1995, back when Joe Dumars was still playing. To avoid back-to-back lottery visits, they'll need better health and perhaps some bold moves from Joe D in the coming months. Only re-signing Ben Wallace and Will Bynum? That just won't cut it in Detroit.

Cleveland Cavaliers 30-52
    Get used to scrolling down this far to find the Cavs in the standings, sad to say. With a certain King taking his talents to South Beach, we're forecasting a 31-game drop in Cleveland. In other words, unless Christian Eyenga is the second coming of LeBron James, Dan Gilbert may want to back off his championship guarantee.

*New Jersey Nets 27-55
    Speaking of owners with lofty goals Mikhail Prokhorov expects the Nets to make the playoffs in 2010-11 despite finishing with the NBA's worst record last season. Our panel isn't as optimistic, not after New Jersey struck out in free agency. Still, a 15-game jump in the standings under new coach Avery Johnson would be a good start.

*Toronto Raptors 27-55
    After the ugly departures of Chris Bosh and Hedo Turkoglu, the Raptors are basically starting over with a roster more random than designed. Given the significant dollars tied up in the likes of Jose Calderon, Andrea Bargnani, Leandro Barbosa and Amir Johnson, don't expect a lot of defense -- or a lot of wins anytime soon, either.

* -- Teams tied in win totals ordered by decimal rankings from our experts' predictions.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

with no injuries- Pacers finish 5th or 6th in conference.

With some injuries- Pacers finish 8-10 range

with lots of injuries- Pacers finsh 10 below

Some people are forgetting that we will have basically the same team last year without any serious injuries. We haven't had the same team in back to back seasons in a while unless somebody gets traded this offseason. they have developed some chemistry. My prediction: Bird will stick with current roster until the end of the season and let them expire. Being a team that can show they can win and a lot of young talent will be valuable to gain top free agents next summer.

now here comes a downer

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So where does the Collison put the Pacers now? 7 or 8?

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think 8th or 9th. They will be around .500 which might get them into the playoffs.

This thread should prove that all these earlier predictions are a waste of time because 1 trade 1 injury 1 anything can change so much

If the pacers don't make any other player changes I say the season hinges a lot on how much Foster and Hansbrough can play. If either or both can play a lot and consistantly that would have a huge impact on winning. if Foster plays 60 games and averages 13 minutes a game that would be huge - hopefully Hans plays a lot more than that

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I think 8th or 9th. They will be around .500 which might get them into the playoffs...
    It was pointed out in another thread that the Pacers play 10 of their first 16 games against playoff teams from last season. So I think an important consideration for the Pacers is that they are able to play at a competitive level starting with the first game. Should they come through those first 16 games 8-8, then I think their odds of making the playoffs are better. If we find ourselves 5-11, I think it will be a very long uphill battle to get back to .500.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoddage View Post
    Sadly, our place on the list is about right. Not good enough to make the playoffs, not bad enough to get a top pick.
    Yea, but we have enough young talent that we're no stuck in the dreaded "can't improve, but can't lose enough to improve" category. Between the young prospects and cap space, we're in a decent spot.

As decent a spot as anyone in Miami's conference can be.
    2010 IKL Fantasy Basketball Champion Baltimore Bulldogs

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tyler Hansbrough might be the biggest X factor in the Central Division. If he comes back healthy and can produce, we can slide in the playoffs as a 7th or 8th seed. If he struggles, we are probably going to only be a game or two better than last season.

This is my standings, and do not forget that I am a magic fan so there is no bias oppinion of the pacers here. Also the assumption that no team will have any other injuries than what has already happened.

1) Heat. Nothing needs to be mentioned.

2) Celtics. They have added players and though there average age is 45+ they have a lot of size and depth.

3) Magic. Only made small but wise offseason moves with the upgrade at SF of Q-rich and the upgrade at PG of Duhon.

4) Bucks. Big call I know! But I think they have the coach, depth and will have the perfect chemistry to take out teams and be the best Defensive team this season.

5) Bulls. They have added very good pieces.

6) Hawks. They have done nothing! they lack depth and there new coach is nothing special. I love it when magic play the Hawks because they kill them.

7) Knicks. Added a few pieces and got a nice package from GS.

8) Pacers. Collison! Granger will have a solid year finally with someone to take the pressure off! Also Hibbet, Tyler and Rush are all a year older, I do not think George will be that productive this year though, he is raw as hell.

9) 76ers. New coach, and thats all that matter. Doug Collins should be able to do what Eddie Jordan couldn't and that is get the most out of his players.

10) Nets. Young and exciting, I think this year will be a transition period between being the 30th team to becoming a team that learns slowly how to player together, then next season makes an impact.

11) Bobcraps. They lost Chandler and Felton and barely added anything.

12) Wizards.

13) Pistons. Too many role-players.

14) Cavs. To be honest I hope they do really well. This would prove that Lebron was not the be all and end all. But I doubt it, all the players in this team have to learn how to play again as there will be a lot of opportunity to hold the ball.

15) Raptors. .........
    Last edited by Magic-man; 08-20-2010 at 01:19 AM. Reason: mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    It was pointed out in another thread that the Pacers play 10 of their first 16 games against playoff teams from last season. So I think an important consideration for the Pacers is that they are able to play at a competitive level starting with the first game. Should they come through those first 16 games 8-8, then I think their odds of making the playoffs are better. If we find ourselves 5-11, I think it will be a very long uphill battle to get back to .500.
    That could be a good thing or a bad thing. It could set the pacers up by playing at a high level. Or it could through out the season with a bad starting record.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the Pacers upset a lot of top ranked teams last season?

Quote Originally Posted by dlewyus View Post
    What stood out to me was that Bibby and Williams are available from Atlanta for salary relief. What do their contracts look like? Are they overpaid? Doesn't excite me much, but I suppose they are better than what we have at PG, and PF. Bibby in particular might fit well with this idiotic, JOB, 3-chucking system. The more I think about it, nah, pass.
    You do not want Bibby, he is terrible and only going to get worse. And williams is one of the worst top 5 picks of all time, he had such high potential but no passion.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Magic-man For This Useful Post:

I'm doing this as a straight-up ranking, not playoff seeding.

This is with but a cursory consideration of where these teams stand. I'm sure I could revise this if I really took the time to look over each roster.

But what the hell:

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

This is with but a cursory consideration of where these teams stand. I'm sure I could revise this if I really took the time to look over each roster.

But what the hell:

i like our chances against the magic in the first round. i really do.
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

But what the hell:

I can't see the Bulls as finishing #3 ahead of Celtics or the Hawks. Maybe not even ahead of the Bucks.

I believe the Knicks will finish ahead of the Bobcats, and Cleveland won't be the last place team, close tho. Also believe the Nets are too high, closer to challenging for last place like last year.

Trying to figure out 10-15 is really tuff, and I wouldn't disagree with the teams you have as 10-15. I'm just not sure how to rank them.

Just interested in why you think the Bulls are a #3 finishing team. Other than Boozer, I'm not overly impressed with who they have signed this off season.

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    I would keep my rankings essentially the same, except flipping the Pacers to #7 and the Knicks to #8.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Just interested in why you think the Bulls are a #3 finishing team. Other than Boozer, I'm not overly impressed with who they have signed this off season.
    It'd the addition of Boozer, Korver, and Brewer to a team that was already likely to improve because Rose and Noah are so young.

When an 8th seed adds those pieces, and their best player is probably going to improve himself, and possibly another young piece (maybe Noah can't really improve his type of game), I think they're primed to jump up, and I also think Boston is getting old(er) again, I don't think the Bucks improved as much as Chicago did, and the Hawks never seem to perform as well as their talent would suggest they are capable of performing.

Now that I've looked, I honestly forgot they were the #3 seed last year. Maybe I should have put them 3rd or 4th.

I could see the Bulls having a better regular season record than the Celtics. But the Celtics if healthy will be the better pklayoff team. Same with the hawks, or Bucks. Don't read too much into the Celtics regular season record, if they are healthy they easily could get to the NBA Finals even if they have 48 regular season wins

The top 6 are set barring major injuries. best Pacers could do is 7th, although I tend to think the Knicks will get 7th. So I think pacers will be 8th at best

I agree with Hicks, I see the Cavs last.

I disagree with Buck about the Knicks being in the playoff hunt, mainly because I just don't think Amare is much better than David Lee. Sure they've added Ray Felton and Anthony Randolph, but I really don't see the overall team very much improved.

It's a crap shoot after 6th though.

Yea looking at it now, the top six are looking pretty set. With Bogut back the Bucks are going to be tough. Atalanta has the same team back, so they shouldn't slide much either. We are probably looking at 7th or 8th. Do we want to play Miami in the first or Orlando?
    On a side note, this is going to be the first year in about the last 3 or 4 years that I will route for the pacers to make the playoffs if we are close to the last spot. In the last few years I thought the chance of getting a higher pick was a higher priority than getting into the 8th spot in the playoffs. Now I want the young guys to get playoff experience.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I agree with Hicks, I see the Cavs last.

I disagree with Buck about the Knicks being in the playoff hunt, mainly because I just don't think Amare is much better than David Lee. Sure they've added Ray Felton and Anthony Randolph, but I really don't see the overall team very much improved.

It's a crap shoot after 6th though.
    YA THE KNICKS ARE GONNA MISS LEE NEAR 20 AND 10 WITHOUT RUNNING MANY PLAYS FOR HIM HE IS A GREAT REBOUNDER AND DIRTY WORKY AND AMARE ISNT A VERY GOOD REBOUNDER AND I DONK KNOW IF RANDOLPH ISS WILLING TO BE THAT DIRTY WORKER AND REBOUNDER LIKE LEE

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    YA THE KNICKS ARE GONNA MISS LEE NEAR 20 AND 10 WITHOUT RUNNING MANY PLAYS FOR HIM HE IS A GREAT REBOUNDER AND DIRTY WORKY AND AMARE ISNT A VERY GOOD REBOUNDER AND I DONK KNOW IF RANDOLPH ISS WILLING TO BE THAT DIRTY WORKER AND REBOUNDER LIKE LEE
    Would you consider not using ALL CAPS from now on? It's honestly obnoxious.