Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Emeka Okafor's value?

Default Emeka Okafor's value?

With all the CP3 rumors going on now, and it being rumored that Okafor will have to be part of any CP3 deal, what or who would you expect to get in return if you take on Okafor's contract?

I ask this b/c I remember some of you were on board w/ taking Okafor w/ Collison in a deal around draft time, which means I'm sure you would all take Okafor w/ CP3 as well, but what other PGs (if any) would you take with Okafor?

I know from other forums that the Pacers have been mentioned as a 3rd team in CP3 scenarios. What if the Pacers could get another PG at a little cheaper of a rate from another team if they take on Okafor as well?

Take for example Orlando who's rumored to be atop CP3's wishlist. Would you be willing to take Okafor if you were getting Jameer Nelson? CP3 would likely require Hibbert or Paul George, expiring contracts and picks perhaps. What if we would only have to give up expiring contracts and say.... Rush for Jameer and Okafor, with the Magic giving up the picks and other young talent or pieces?

What about Portland? Would you take Okafor for Dre Miller, or to get Bayless back?

Mavs w/ Beaubois? Hornets obviously don't need a starting PG w/ Collison. They could likely use a backup PG, say T.J Ford who's an expiring.

Perhaps other teams can enter the conversation IF CP3 requests a trade and it's granted.

What do you guys think? Would you take on Okafor for any other PGs?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Emeka Okafor's value?

His value is less than zero. Meaning, they will have to offer up value just for another team to take him and his 65-year old back.

He plays like he has cement shoes on now. The only blocks he gets are from players who drive directly at him. He can't move at all east-west.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

[QUOTE=pwee31;1042584]Take for example Orlando who's rumored to be atop CP3's wishlist. Would you be willing to take Okafor if you were getting Jameer Nelson? CP3 would likely require Hibbert or Paul George, expiring contracts and picks perhaps. What if we would only have to give up expiring contracts and say.... Rush for Jameer and Okafor, with the Magic giving up the picks and other young talent or pieces?[QUOTE]

The pacers have already made the mistake of taking on contracts the summer before they have cap space. That happend when we took Murphy and Dunleavys contracts on. It didn't turn out very well at all. So even if someone took TJ and Murphy you are pretty much putting the same exact players back on the roster. Jameer makes around 7mil for the next 3yrs. ford makes 8mil next year. murphy makes 11mil next year and emeka has 4yrs and 52mil left. thats more then what murphy would make if we simply resigned him. ford and jameer are similar in stats averaging around 15 and 5. then murphy and emeka are both ten and ten guys and emeka while is consistent he has no where to go but down in stats really if you look at his career stats.

There is not a guard out there I would want if we had to take emekas contract. Simply because i think it would just hurt us in the long run. It is simply better to wait since we aren't winning the title anytime soon. The draft has 4 top quality guards and we can always make a trade before the deadline and get a guard without taking on a huge contract. It is just best to wait the season out at this point and see what Lance brings to the table.
    Last edited by Pacers2012; 07-24-2010 at 09:47 PM.
    2012: Pacers return to glory

Paul George All Day

[QUOTE=Pacers2012;1042590][QUOTE=pwee31;1042584]Take for example Orlando who's rumored to be atop CP3's wishlist. Would you be willing to take Okafor if you were getting Jameer Nelson? CP3 would likely require Hibbert or Paul George, expiring contracts and picks perhaps. What if we would only have to give up expiring contracts and say.... Rush for Jameer and Okafor, with the Magic giving up the picks and other young talent or pieces?

The pacers have already made the mistake of taking on contracts the summer before they have cap space. That happend when we took Murphy and Dunleavys contracts on. It didn't turn out very well at all. So even if someone took TJ and Murphy you are pretty much putting the same exact players back on the roster. Jameer makes around 7mil for the next 3yrs. ford makes 8mil next year. murphy makes 11mil next year and emeka has 4yrs and 52mil left. thats more then what murphy would make if we simply resigned him. ford and jameer are similar in stats averaging around 15 and 5. then murphy and emeka are both ten and ten guys and emeka while is consistent he has no where to go but down in stats really if you look at his career stats.

There is not a guard out there I would want if we had to take emekas contract. Simply because i think it would just hurt us in the long run. It is simply better to wait since we aren't winning the title anytime soon. The draft has 4 top quality guards and we can always make a trade before the deadline and get a guard without taking on a huge contract. It is just best to wait the season out at this point and see what Lance brings to the table.
    Nice argument

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

Mood

If we go after Nelson in a trade then I wouldn't want to be the team that has to take Okafor. Way too steep price for us to get involved, unless we get some draft pics out of it as well. I like Nelson but that is just too much of a high price.

So do you guys think Collison is a better player then Jameer Nelson? I personally don't, I think he played really well in CP3's absence and could be a really good player, but Nelson is tough and takes a backseat at times with all the scoring options the Magic have.

I think he could be even better on a team that needed more from him. I agree Okafor is a steep price though, just getting a feel for what other fans would be willing to give up or take in order to get a PG.

It's starting to sound like everyone is comfy going into the season w/ Ford and Stephenson? I personally would still prefer another PG to Ford

I think an expirer could score Okafor and Hinrich...

I would send Dunleavy for Okafor and Ford for Hinrich...

a future of:

Hinrich
    George
    Granger
    Okafor
    Hibbert

sign me up
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think an expirer could score Okafor and Hinrich...

I would send Dunleavy for Okafor and Ford for Hinrich...

a future of:

Hinrich
    George
    Granger
    Okafor
    Hibbert

sign me up
    Sign me out. That's almost worse than what we have now.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ozwalt72 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwalt72 View Post
    Sign me out. That's almost worse than what we have now.
    Hinrich alone is a huge upgrade from any PG that we have

I would much rather have Okafor over Murphy
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

[QUOTE=MillerTime;1042632]Hinrich alone is a huge upgrade from any PG that we have

I would much rather have Okafor over Murphy[/QUOTE

i don't see why Okafor is better than Murphy. Bobcats were smart to unload his miserable contract and NO didn't take long to come to the same conclusion so why would we not learn that lesson.
    Okafor is not worth his contract.
    Last edited by speakout4; 07-24-2010 at 11:36 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    Hinrich alone is a huge upgrade from any PG that we have

I would much rather have Okafor over Murphy
    Wow. We got into this jam by taking on crappy contracts like Dunleavy, Murphy, and Ford .... sooo once we're about out of that hole, lets trade for equally crappy contracts so we continue to suck for a few more years ....

worst ... idea ... ever.

And as I've discussed, Hinrich isn't available anyway.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Okafor's value is CP3, nothing more, everything less!!!
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

I see no urgency to trying to get any guard anymore. especially if the pg we get has a contract like nelsons, hinrichs or feltons. We got 3 at this pgs as it is and stephenson who will and should get a good amount of minutes since he is truly Born Ready the pacers feel. Bring in any type of starting guard they will want to play 30min a game or more. And for Okafor that would be horrible for us at this point since we have tyler, mcbob, solo, and rolle who will get a few minutes. so does he back up hibbert? waste of money. we need to manage our money wisely like OKC has and get draft picks for our expiring and try to build through the draft. This year was a great start to hopefully a new philosophy.

Paul George All Day

Banned

I see no urgency to trying to get any guard anymore

no urgency? have you seen how many tickets the pacers are selling a year? this team needs to do something really soon

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    Okafor's value is CP3, nothing more, everything less!!!
    I agree, the only PGs I would take would be CP3, Deron, (maybe) Rose or Wall .
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    no urgency? have you seen how many tickets the pacers are selling a year? this team needs to do something really soon
    so getting hinrich, nelson, sessions or someone equivalent to earl watson is going to put fans in the seat? Cause were not getting anyone better then any of those guys. cp3 isnt even possible for us. stephenson playing and our other young core developing and winning is what will sell tickets.

they simple reason of making a move just to sell tickets is not justifiable. only thing that sells is winning.

Paul George All Day

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Definately Williams, Rose, & Wall, (& I'd add Rondo) but none are on NOH's, or coming via a 3-way, but yeah, I feel ya.
    We have waited 3 yrs for options. Okafor is a killer if not a filler, for a TOP PG that is (see above). IMO these are the 5 PG worth a contract like Okafor's.
    Next chance is to try & get a "residuial" from a CP3 trade, or land a Conely-type thru a deadline deal or n/y's FA class.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers2012 View Post
    I see no urgency to trying to get any guard anymore. especially if the pg we get has a contract like nelsons, hinrichs or feltons. We got 3 at this pgs as it is and stephenson who will and should get a good amount of minutes since he is truly Born Ready the pacers feel. Bring in any type of starting guard they will want to play 30min a game or more. And for Okafor that would be horrible for us at this point since we have tyler, mcbob, solo, and rolle who will get a few minutes. so does he back up hibbert? waste of money. we need to manage our money wisely like OKC has and get draft picks for our expiring and try to build through the draft. This year was a great start to hopefully a new philosophy.
    we dont have a PG so far. Ford never gets minutes, therefore JOB isnt happy with him; Price is injured, and even is hes recovered around Nov 1st, his conditioning will be really bad; Stephenson hasnt player much at the PG spot, and Im pretty sure JOB isnt going to be giving a rookie the starting PG role coming into the season, considering Lance hasnt played in the NBA

This.

Sports Logo

One more thing to add, I should add the caveat that I'd consider it if I could ensure that the PG in question is guaranteed to be in a Pacers uniform for at least 3/4 of Okafor's contract. If it's Rose or Wall, then they would have to have some 3 or 4 year team option. I know ther is no scenario where this could happen, but this tells you how much I value Okafor's contract and why I was so against the whole Collison/Okafor discussions......his contract and production is that far off that I would have lived with Ford /Murphy PG and Center combination for one more season then hope that Collison turns out to be anything while taking on Okafor's awful contract.

As mentioned it would take a top 5 PG in order for me to even consider taking on Okafor's contract.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I'd personally add Rondo to this list. Westbrook would make me think long and hard

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers2012 View Post
    The pacers have already made the mistake of taking on contracts the summer before they have cap space. That happend when we took Murphy and Dunleavys contracts on. It didn't turn out very well at all.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your point. But Jax and Al were not anywhere near the last year of their contracts. They each had just 1 fewer year on their contracts then did Murphy and Dunleavy. So if we would have not made the trade and not traded Jax and Al elsewhere, they would have expired this summer (a few weeks ago).

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

The team has no starting PG right now, not 3.

But the team is also so far away that I think it's a huge risk to pay the Okafor price to get a strong but not elite PG. I just don't think the Pacers can afford that price, even though it's an area of serious need.

OTOH, my opinion is that Dun, TJ and Troy have done almost nothing to help the team. Sorry Murph fans, but I can't buy into that defense and knack for losing on every tough rebound chance. So if you take ONE of their deals and perpetuate it with yet another low contributor but also add a quality player while doing so, then you have improved the team.

The issue is have you still ensured that you will be crippled by that bad deal and therefore have a restricted ceiling even as you improve? Tough call for me.

Pacers2012-

I certainly wouldn't swallow Okafor's deal to get Nelson. But to imply
    that Nelson's contract is way out of bounds is silly. $7mil or so a year
    for a solid NBA starter at the premium position in the game right now
    is not out of line.

Btw, do other PD'ers a favor and please take a second or two to proofread
    your posts.
    Last edited by Hillman's 'Fro'; 07-25-2010 at 06:42 PM.

What I would seriously consider....

1--Take Okafor and Paul signed long term, give up only expirings and picks and a
    minor player not named George

2--Act as a facilitator to get Nelson if only giving up expirings and some other team gets
    Paul and Okafor
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-