Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shawne Williams busted at a traffic stop

Default Re: Shawne Williams busted at a traffic stop

Before drafting Shawne, Bird checked him out by speaking with Calipari to see what kind of kid he was. Calipari convinced Bird that Shawne was no problem which says lots about the coach. Would anyone else want Calipari's opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Before drafting Shawne, Bird checked him out by speaking with Calipari to see what kind of kid he was. Calipari convinced Bird that Shawne was no problem which says lots about the coach. Would anyone else want Calipari's opinion?
    He should have just saved himself the time and trouble and spoken to World Wide Wes.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    Truely sad, he had a lot of talent, just couldn't get away from the street life.
    Wrong. He IS the street life.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I remember calling out Shawne when he first missed a court date a few years ago. I got flamed. But, usually, where there's smoke there's fire.
    Don't feel alone. I remember everyone trying to convince people it was not his fault, but rather the people around him. Bull.

Shawne may never play in the NBA again, but I have a feeling he's gonna continue to make news in a very negative and or tragic way for a long time. In the end his value will be as an example to others on what not to do. Sad.....
    “It is what we learn after we know it all that really counts” - John Wooden

Not sure if it was posted already, but ESPN headlines their story about Williams by calling him an ex-Pacers F. Now, if the kid played for the Mavericks AFTER he played for the Pacers, and the last team he played for was the Mavericks, why would he be referred to as an ex-Pacer?

Man, I get tired of that crap.

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

6. The Following User Says Thank You to heywoode For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode View Post
    Not sure if it was posted already, but ESPN headlines their story about Williams by calling him an ex-Pacers F. Now, if the kid played for the Mavericks AFTER he played for the Pacers, and the last team he played for was the Mavericks, why would he be referred to as an ex-Pacer?

Man, I get tired of that crap.
    Well, he actually did see some playing time with the Pacers. Wasn't most of his time in Dallas spent in "exile"? Anyway, I know what you're saying. There is no need for the headline bringing the team into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Well, he actually did see some playing time with the Pacers. Wasn't most of his time in Dallas spent in "exile"? Anyway, I know what you're saying. There is no need for the headline bringing the team into this.
    The sports world (or maybe just part of it) and a significant percentage of Indiana residents associate the Pacers with criminals...to this very day.

It doesn't take long to get a reputation. It is far more difficult to shake one. You see, they don't care about the Pacers the way some of you do.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

probably a good thing Bird hired a private investigator for this years draft instead of just asking the coach for information...
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I know alot of people have said this but I just want to say it......FORMER DALLAS MAVERICK SHAWNE WILLIAMS!!!! Some guys don't get it and Shawne is one of those guys that just don't get it. Too bad
    And the walls came tumbling down.....

I'm shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    probably a good thing Bird hired a private investigator for this years draft instead of just asking the coach for information...
    Maybe so. But it was different with Lance. The only quotes I've read were from a coach ripping on him. What did his coach at Cinci have to say...and are there actual quotes? I know someone claimed his coach at Cinci had his back. Is there proof of that? Is that coach credible? Was it during or after the season this was said?

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Feel bad for this guy and his family. He had a chance at millions per year. He'll likely never have an opportunity to make over $100,000, legitimately, the rest of his life.
    Not true. He is quite likely to pursue a career in pharmacuetical sales in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post

Ex-Pacers F Williams arrested, charged

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...e=NBAHeadlines
    I hate when they put ex-(team name).

Especially if the player played on more than one team.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    It's always stupid stuff that he gets in trouble for. Dude, if you're going to smoke weed while driving, at least put on your seatbelt.
    I always say, "Don't break the law while you are breaking the law."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mildlysane For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    It's always stupid stuff that he gets in trouble for. Dude, if you're going to smoke weed while driving, at least put on your seatbelt.
    You dont need a seatbelt when your flying a mile high i guess.
    2012: Pacers return to glory

Paul George All Day

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Damn, when I just started to disassociate Shawne Williams face with that song Ridin' Dirty.... Thanks man!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

when i saw this on espn i figured he went down for having lean aka purple drank because of the jamarcus russell thing. But no, he got me. touche mr williams
    2012: Pacers return to glory

Paul George All Day

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

You can't get any more stupid than Shawne Williams. I did an experiment and it's 100% scientifically impossible.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to circlecitysportsfan For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Just to defend the fact that plenty of people didn't want to throw him under the bus at the first signs of problems, plenty of other people do have issues with hangers-on from their prior life, especially within 1-2 years of living it.

There was no way to be the kind of 100% sure some of you guys are saying we all should have been when the first issues popped up. I don't think anyone stuck with him after he missed his court date and then kept having issues.

This is not to say you didn't end up right on this issue. You were right. But this was not obvious at the time and could have gone the other way, and that's why people were putting out the idea that he wanted to move on but had friends that didn't want him to.

In fact I'd say that Williams is a historical failure. Not unprecedented, but clearly one of the worst case scenarios. It's not Len Bias or Tarpley, but even Delonte West is still in the league. Even the Jailblazers stayed in the league. Spreewell stayed in the league.

So Williams is far more a failure than just a guy who won't put his criminal life aside. He's been dumb and unmotivated. I mean if you watched him in summer ball you knew that a "Williams starts a school for underprivileged kids" story wasn't going to put him on an NBA roster either.

The mentality that perpetuates his criminal situation is the same one that kept him from progressing his game. But make no mistake, had he made a brilliant showing in summer ball he'd be getting a contract from someone. That's why I consider him dumb, he not only had a path to money but a path to his criminal behavior too, all he had to do was work his game like it mattered and everyone would help cover up his problems.

I will strongly agree that Bird made a strong recovery with the Shawne trade. But he still reached in the first place and left Rondo on the board when we had need of a PG prospect. Remember that people wanted Marcus Williams but ironically his own criminal past made him an unattractive prospect.

Rondo >> Price + Rolle >> Williams

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    We've earned the reputation. Dallas has not. They spat him out of there in less than a year. We kept those types of clowns for years allowing them to fill up rap sheets...and even kept acquiring them.

While other GM's passed on Lance due to his reputation, the Pacers did not. It will be interesting to see if we are simply a better judge of character now...or just stupid.
    Our only problem was getting those aforementioned players when they were 'young and dumb and full of XXXX'. But, they were FUN to watch on the court. The white 'main-stream' media (and our local whiners) were all just TOO eager to break-down the Pacer team because they FEARED our raising status in the NBA and the continuing demise of Boston, LA, and the other MAJOR MARKETS. Unfortunately, our own local media and posters on this board jumped on the mainstream MEDIA bandwagon. This ruined our team for the long term because we were STUCK with a boatload of mediocre players with long contracts.

While white folks live on their country farms or nice suburbs, most black people are raised on the tough streets of America. We shouldn't attempt to lynch them through and with the the media's help for acting out their lives in the way they were raised. Lance, fortunately, wants to be a great player like LeBron and he wants to leave a LEGACY like other GREAT NBA PLAYERS. Like a young Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson, he'll have his own GROWING PAINS but the HATERS on this board need to be exposed for what they really are.....racists. Let Lance and our other young NBA kids grow up without running them out of town (becuz of your closet racist motives). I'm sure we ALL know relatives who were wild when young and who finally grew up to be good citizens with kids. If not, LB will repeat Donny's mistake of letting the BS media and racists fans under the guise of 'doing the right thing' run these guys outta town by trading for clean white (or uncle Tom) but athletic NBA players with one dimensional games.

If the NBA was so concerned with players smoking DOPE, they should included DRUG TESTING in the CBA agreement. This will, at least, cleanup the POT ARRESTS by NBA players like Shawn Williams and many many other NBA Players (\like our own David Harrison) with POT ADDICTION like Michael Beasley. No one said being black and young is easy....especially those kids who's ONLY dream is playing the NBA (and staying in College only one year due the mandated requirements setup by the NCAA with David Stern's approval).
    Last edited by TooBigNdaPaint; 07-25-2010 at 09:09 AM.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I will strongly agree that Bird made a strong recovery with the Shawne trade. But he still reached in the first place and left Rondo on the board when we had need of a PG prospect. Remember that people wanted Marcus Williams but ironically his own criminal past made him an unattractive prospect.

Rondo >> Price + Rolle >> Williams
    Talking in hindsight is always pretty easy. The Williams pick was a reach, I think pretty much everybody agrees about that, but apparantly we weren't the only team that skipped Rondo in favour for someone else, and it's clear we weren't the only team who would have found good use for a PG such as him.

It seems as though he just wasn't convincing most scouts and/or GM's to pick him higher. I mean are we also going to blame management for not spotting Arena's back when he was drafted and was actually pretty "normal"?
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by circlecitysportsfan View Post
    You can't get any more stupid than Shawne Williams. I did an experiment and it's 100% scientifically impossible.
    That's impressive. Did you titrate a Marbury-based solution? If so, I am sold.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lil lebowsky View Post
    Absolutely Priceless! He claims he wants to get back in the league, yet he comes into camp overweight. He wants to earn a living in the NBA. Yet he blazes up in a Dogde Charger with a suspended license, with one of his hood rat friends. Not exactly low profile, Shawne! Man you're an idiot, what a waste of talent and ability. Dude had the ability but has a 2 cent head.
    You don't think it was this kid do you? He seems to be of a similar maturity level to Shawne.

"As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigNdaPaint View Post
    Our only problem was getting those aforementioned players when they were 'young and dumb and full of XXXX'. But, they were FUN to watch on the court. The white 'main-stream' media (and our local whiners) were all just TOO eager to break-down the Pacer team because they FEARED our raising status in the NBA and the continuing demise of Boston, LA, and the other MAJOR MARKETS. Unfortunately, our own local media and posters on this board jumped on the mainstream MEDIA bandwagon. This ruined our team for the long term because we were STUCK with a boatload of mediocre players with long contracts.

While white folks live on their country farms or nice suburbs, most black people are raised on the tough streets of America. We shouldn't attempt to lynch them through and with the the media's help for acting out their lives in the way they were raised. Lance, fortunately, wants to be a great player like LeBron and he wants to leave a LEGACY like other GREAT NBA PLAYERS. Like a young Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson, he'll have his own GROWING PAINS but the HATERS on this board need to be exposed for what they really are.....racists. Let Lance and our other young NBA kids grow up without running them out of town (becuz of your closet racist motives). I'm sure we ALL know relatives who were wild when young and who finally grew up to be good citizens with kids. If not, LB will repeat Donny's mistake of letting the BS media and racists fans under the guise of 'doing the right thing' run these guys outta town by trading for clean white (or uncle Tom) but athletic NBA players with one dimensional games.

If the NBA was so concerned with players smoking DOPE, they should included DRUG TESTING in the CBA agreement. This will, at least, cleanup the POT ARRESTS by NBA players like Shawn Williams and many many other NBA Players (\like our own David Harrison) with POT ADDICTION like Michael Beasley. No one said being black and young is easy....especially those kids who's ONLY dream is playing the NBA (and staying in College only one year due the mandated requirements setup by the NCAA with David Stern's approval).
    Whatever. This is one of the most ridiculous assertions I have read on this board. The media had nothing to do with the fall of the Pacers. The blame rests on Pacer management first and on the immature players second.

...and you can call people whatever you want to. It doesn't make it true. The fact is, my favorite Pacers of all time are the following in this order: Miller, Granger, DDavis, Smits and MJackson. Race does not factor into this AT ALL. If anything, I am biased AGAINST white players assuming they are not cut out do handle certain roles in the NBA. Goodness, I would play Solomon Jones before I would play Troy Murphy at PF...and I am almost certainly in the minority there.

It's time to get real on this issue. If players like Stephen Jackson and Jamaal Tinsley did not have character issues, I would be rooting for them too.

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigNdaPaint View Post

Vile. n:

So let me get this straight the mainstream media wanted to make sure that the Pacers did not overtake the Lakers & the Celtics. Now did they decide to do this in 2004 or did they decide this back in 2000, you know the year we actually went to the NBA finals?

You are entitled to your opinion but frankly in this case it is unwarranted and verging on being biggoted itself.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post: