Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rose, Evans, Wall...Irving? Insider Looking to the Draft for Help

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Rose, Evans, Wall...Irving? Insider Looking to the Draft for Help

Draft could bring PG to Pacers

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

It's been known the Pacers are looking for a point guard.

They were reportedly dangling their No. 10 pick in last month's draft for one, but nothing came of it. There have been indications that a trade might now be the best route for them to acquire one.

But so far, nothing has been done.

So might next year's draft be another sound option?

After all, the team does have A.J. Price and T.J. Ford on the roster, and rookie Lance Stephenson could contribute at the point as well.

Earl Watson can also still be re-signed. So the bodies are there for next season, even if it's not quite the fit the team may be looking for.

As Jeff Rabjohns of the Indianapolis Star explains, there are three dynamic point guards set to be freshman in college this fall -- Josh Selby at Kansas, Kyrie Irving at Duke and Brandon Knight at Kentucky -- who all could go in next year's lottery where the Pacers could land.

The Pacers are setting themselves up for the summer of 2011 as they'll have some nice available cap space to work with. Couple that with a young PG and the team could be trending upwards come 2011-2012.

.................................................. .................................................. ...
    ESPN's Chad Ford

Irving has the goods

"Irving has the makings of a terrific NBA prospect. He's the most well-rounded point guard in the class. He's quick, can shoot with range and has no problem getting to the basket. He should be a beast at Duke next year. Scouts have him pegged as a top-10 pick in 2011."

Mood

Default Re: Rose, Evans, Wall...Irving? Insider Looking to the Draft for Help

Seems like every year the Pacers look to solidify their PG position through the draft and we always come up short. I think most of those times could be caused by our decisions to keep putting a good effort forward at the end of the year.

Two yrs ago we could have been in a good spot to draft Tyreke, this year we could have been in a good spot to get Wall... I just wonder if next year will turnout with the same ending...

People are forgetting that Duke/Coach K rarely has one and done players (read that as never having one EDIT: 2). He doesn't recruit players that say they will only be there for one year, nor if he thinks they will only be there for one.

To make it short. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.
    Last edited by Since86; 07-21-2010 at 03:22 PM.

I thought Elton Brand and Corey Magette were just off the top of my head.... looking it up.

Edit: Brand was two years, Magette was one, but point taken.
    Last edited by Speed; 07-21-2010 at 03:01 PM.

I dont see us having a top ten pick if we avoid significant injuries but, i think we will have a shot at getting shelby or knight. I just hope job is fired. I really dont care about anything else cause we could have a great team but, it wont matter if the coach isn't the right fit.
    2012: Pacers return to glory

Paul George All Day

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought Elton Brand and Corey Magette were just off the top of my head.... looking it up.

Edit: Brand was two years, Magette was one, but point taken.
    He's made the quote that college isn't an "extended hotel." He says atleast two years. He also didn't even recruit OJ Mayo because he knew he was a one and done player.

I believe Loul Deng also left after one year.

Mood

As Far as Duke (being my Favorite College Basketball them right next to Purdue)... a lot of their players do stay more than one year besides the players that are mentioned. But you have to remember that as of late a lot more players have been leaving early, Mcroberts, Jones, Henderson, Deng, Maggette, Brand, Singlar almost even left last year...

Along with that Duke doesn't of get players that are considered "NBA ready" maybe a couple of McDonalds All-Stars but non that are really ready to go straight to the league... Irving is a Different breed than your typical Duke signee....

As Far as the Pacers not having a top ten pick next year... well that is still in the air, I really think it depends on how our team meshes together, which will rely a lot on the efforts of O'Brien(cross your fingers)

Before the NBA age rule, were there very many "NBA ready" players? Obviously players like LeBron were/are, but most were/are drafted with "potential" and "upside" leading the way. Not their developed skills.

I'm just saying that next years draft is somewhere around 330 days away. A lot can happen in that time frame, and Coach K tells us that he actively avoids going after players that are looking at college as a mere rest stop. Can it happen? Sure. Two posters have already proven that it has happened. Will it happen? My money is on that it won't but I'm far from a professional gambler.

Mood

Last thing to say about that...

Yes there drafted on potential but there has to be some sort of play to go along with it...aka where NBA Ready comes from, I'm sure that if Mason Plumblee would have put up better numbers in his freshman yr than he would have been out of there... We all saw what happened to Daniel Orton potential potential potential but not NBA ready or even close to ready.

The one thing I think that might stop him from becoming Pro is the CBA and the possible holdout....

But this post is about the Pacers and possibilities at PG especially through the draft.... I had one last question for anyone...

If the Pacers some how end up with the top pick assuming the top Prospects come out, and assuming they have decent yrs. Who should the Pacers take... Barnes(Who people think may be the next Kobe), Perry Jones (Garnett comparisons-PF of the future), Kyrie Irving(Point Guard of the future)...?

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Last thing to say about that...

Yes there drafted on potential but there has to be some sort of play to go along with it...aka where NBA Ready comes from, I'm sure that if Mason Plumblee would have put up better numbers in his freshman yr than he would have been out of there... We all saw what happened to Daniel Orton potential potential potential but not NBA ready or even close to ready.

The one thing I think that might stop him from becoming Pro is the CBA and the possible holdout....

But this post is about the Pacers and possibilities at PG especially through the draft.... I had one last question for anyone...

If the Pacers some how end up with the top pick assuming the top Prospects come out, and assuming they have decent yrs. Who should the Pacers take... Barnes(Who people think may be the next Kobe), Perry Jones (Garnett comparisons-PF of the future), Kyrie Irving(Point Guard of the future)...?

either take barnes or do what most teams never do and trade the pick away for a top ten pick. I could see the wolves wanting to get barnes and be willing to give up jonny flynn and their top pick. They have Rubio coming over in 2012 I think. I know they haven't wanted to get rid of him but, who knows maybe we could get him a lottery pick and another player. Or we can trade with another team and get a good player that can play right away and also be able to draft a pg as a lottery pick. I'm not sure what the number 1 pick deserves in return but, i would guess it involves a starter and their lottery pick atleast. First we have to get the first pick which is possible with the lottery.
    2012: Pacers return to glory

Paul George All Day

If Murphy, Dunleavy, and Ford get heavy minutes next season, then having a top pick is certainly a possibility.

Banned

To heck with those kids, I'll take the kid from Mich. State and be a happy boy.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoddage View Post
    If Murphy, Dunleavy, and Ford get heavy minutes next season, then having a top pick is certainly a possibility.
    Instead of saying "certainly a possibility" you could have saved quite a few keystrokes with simply "a certainty".
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Knight and Selby are more in the 'scoring PG' realm. I guess they'd
    be better than what we have, But based on what I've seen, I'd
    vastly prefer Irving.

But, if there is a lockout next year, it won't matter. If that's the
    case, they'll prolly all stick around for their soph years.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    To heck with those kids, I'll take the kid from Mich. State and be a happy boy.
    Kalin Lucas?

Surely not.

-Lance Stephenson

What about Travis Leslie? He's listed as a SG, but when I watched a couple bulldog games it looked like he was everywhere running the show.

He looks like a stud to me.

Just in case the Pacers don't get a top 5 pick.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Instead of saying "certainly a possibility" you could have saved quite a few keystrokes with simply "a certainty".
    not quite. a certainty is without doubt.

certainly a possibility still implies that there is some doubt.

saving time and keeping the same meaning would have been "good possibility"

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post

Along with that Duke doesn't of get players that are considered "NBA ready" maybe a couple of McDonalds All-Stars but non that are really ready to go straight to the league...
    I don't know where people get this idea from. Duke is stacked with Mickey Dee's All-Americans every year.

As for Irving, he is the real deal. I'm curious to see how K runs his system next year, since the way he has been doing does not play to Kyrie's strengths.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Before the NBA age rule, were there very many "NBA ready" players? Obviously players like LeBron were/are, but most were/are drafted with "potential" and "upside" leading the way. Not their developed skills.
    Next year's draft appears to be so weak that I think Irving will have no other choice but to come out (regardless if he's ready or not). K is going all out again on the recruiting trail by targeting the top NBA prospects. Remember that he led a late charge for John Wall's services. You think Wall would have stayed at Duke for more than one season?

Why would any prospect want to go into next years draft, as of right now looking like their will be a lockout? That makes zero sense.

Also, Wall was a fifth-year senior for HS before he went to college, because of academic reasons. You really think he would have chosen Duke? (He would of had to keep up grades for atleast one semester)

Yes, Duke/Coach K recruited him, but I doubt they really went fullforce. It doesn't fit what Coach K says he wants, and it didn't make sense for Wall.

Why would any prospect want to go into next years draft, as of right now looking like their will be a lockout? That makes zero sense.

Also, Wall was a fifth-year senior for HS before he went to college, because of academic reasons. You really think he would have chosen Duke? (He would of had to keep up grades for atleast one semester)

Yes, Duke/Coach K recruited him, but I doubt they really went fullforce. It doesn't fit what Coach K says he wants, and it didn't make sense for Wall.
    This is a myth.

Duke is no more difficult for its athletes than any other school.

-Lance Stephenson

This is a myth.

Duke is no more difficult for its athletes than any other school.
    Unless you're suggesting that schools put athletes in different classrooms than regular students, there is no way you can even support that claim.

Duke graduates 92% of their players. That's #1 in the country.
    http://www.tidesport.org/Grad%20Rate...omens_Sweet_16[1].pdf

Duke was ranked the 10th best university IN THE WORLD, last year. They've never been out of the 10 top undergrad rankings by US News & World Report.

Unless you're suggesting that schools put athletes in different classrooms than regular students, there is no way you can even support that claim.

Duke graduates 92% of their players. That's #1 in the country.
    http://www.tidesport.org/Grad%20Rate...omens_Sweet_16[1].pdf

Duke was ranked the 10th best university IN THE WORLD, last year. They've never been out of the 10 top undergrad rankings by US News & World Report.
    I personally know many Duke "student"-athletes. Their scholastic experience is so far from the average Duke student it is ridiculous. Just as it is at every major university.

-Lance Stephenson

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I personally know many Duke "student"-athletes. Their scholastic experience is so far from the average Duke student it is ridiculous. Just as it is at every major university.
    I dunno... back in the day, my younger brother would brag that Eric Anderson would make it to his 8am accounting class even when they played a late game in Ann Arbor the night before.

Now, I know what you're saying... he played in less than 30 games over two seasons for the Knicks... but he was a high school All-American and I'm pretty sure he was all-Big Ten.

Of course, Knight had plenty of other issues, but his student-athletes were students first and athletes second.

It really is disgusting the way the semi-pro (NCAA D1) game has changed. As much as we can ***** and moan about changes in the NBA, at least the NBA didn't sell-out the student- portion of student-athletes like the NCAA did. That's what is really unwatchable.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you