Thread: Houston signs Sura, Ward

Default Houston signs Sura, Ward

Can't say either is a great acquisition, but they're better than Lue.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1855721

Sura, Ward to compete with Lue

ESPN.com news services
    The Houston Rockets have yet to find a starting point guard, but they'll have enough bodies to hold quite a competition in training camp to finally find a replacement for Steve Francis.

The Rockets signed Bob Sura, a shooting guard capable of playing the point, and fellow veteran Charlie Ward on Monday. The two will compete for playing time with Tyronn Lue, who was acquired from Orlando in the Francis-Tracy McGrady deal.

"Their experience and talent will help us a great deal," Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson said.

Sura, 31, was obtained by Atlanta in the Rasheed Wallace trade with Detroit and put up some impressive numbers. The 6-foot-4 combo guard averaged 14.7 points, 5.3 assists and 8.3 rebounds while starting 18 of 27 games for a depleted Hawks squad.

Ward, 33, began the 2003-04 season in New York and averaged 8.7 points and 4.9 assists before being included in the Stephon Marbury trade as part of Isiah Thomas' Knicks makeover. The Suns quickly waived Ward, who then signed with the Spurs.

Ward may have the inside track at the Rockets' starting job. He played under head coach Jeff Van Gundy from 1995 to 2001, helping New York reach the NBA Finals in 1999. Last season, Van Gundy brought in another former Knick, Mark Jackson, to help run the Rockets' offense, which often became bogged down under Francis.

Ward said he knows his former coach's expectations.

"He likes the toughness, the competitiveness," Ward said. "This team can definitely win a championship. It is just a matter of everyone coming together."
    Does this concern anybody at all? I'm no Derrick Fisher fan, but he'd be better than these guys.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Default Re: Houston signs Sura, Ward

Good pickup, IMO. I'd rather have Sura than Fisher (or AJ, for that matter). He is more athletic, bigger, and while neither is particularly good at running an offense, Sura does more things well.

JVG loves D, so whomever plays the best D and/or feeds Yao effectively will start.

TMac will handle the ball a lot, so perhaps a traditional PG isn't needed.
    [edit=97=1092100178][/edit]
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sura won't be effective running the point. He can do spot duty but not fulltime duty. A decent pickup though, I feel he was kind of unfairly bashed by Warriors fans while he was here.

What is it with Ward? He's done! I guess Van Gundy knows him and knows he'll feed Yao if told so I guess it works. Does he have anything left in the tank defensively?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ward couldn't get playing time with the Spurs and they didn't have a back-up point guard. I imagine Parker is drooling at the chance to go up against him.