Thread: What happened to the Pacers Digest I used to know?

Default What happened to the Pacers Digest I used to know?

Quote Originally Posted by Sweabs
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What happened to the Pacers Digest I used to know?

Pacers Digest began with a clear and simple philosophy – one that stood in clear opposition to the IndyStar message boards (i.e. RATS). After numerous unfair and unjust bannings, Hicks et al., began a new Pacers forum with the intention to create a more open, friendly, and just forum. They named it Pacers Digest.

It is true, that such a place existed at one point in time...that was the real Pacers Digest. But today, the forum compares more closely to RATS as it seeks to emulate the very principles with which PD supposedly stood in opposition!

Don’t let yourselves be fooled. PD is not the democratic, fair, open or just forum it would lead you to believe.

It is run by one man and one man only. His power is absolute. His opinion is the only one that matters. And he derives a very real (and somewhat sick) pleasure from this power.

With the exclusion of one individual, he has surrounded himself with other moderators/admins who will not question his power...who will not speak up against his rulings. And this is the way he likes it. His power has gone unchecked for far too long without anyone speaking up. Posters are dissuaded from speaking up, as they see a collective “group” of admins who seemingly all agree with Hicks’ temperamental decision-making. Such is not the case, however, as these same people are also discouraged from voicing a dissenting opinion.

After all, it is Hicks’s board – and he has made that clear to everyone. He can do what he chooses as the PD CEO or PD FOUNDER. We are all supposed to be forever indebted to his graciousness for bestowing upon us the greatest NBA forum of all-time.

Forget about the POSTERS...the COMMUNITY...YOU - who are the real people to make PD what it is. The only community that remains important to Hicks are an exclusive collective of people, whom he has either labelled as a fellow admin or deemed worthy of posting on “The Front Page”. These are the great basketball minds – or, in Hicks’s view, his tickets to something much grander. He realizes what he has in these people’s writings – and he will exploit them for the benefit of “his board” for every penny they’re worth. Even those who go so far as to design professionally made logos in their spare time are not given as much as a simple thank you. Everyone should just be thankful they have the privilege to partake in this medium that is PD, and read this “exclusive” group.

But if you aren’t a part of this group, you’re not all that important to Hicks. Respected posters who have been part of the PD community since the RATS days are given the banhammer without any notice. Misinterpreted words deemed unacceptable by the ruler/CEO are worthy of an instant ban. Not even so much as a simple PM asking for further clarification – just a permanent ban...to a member of 6+ years. Dispensable.

Rating too many threads with five stars? Banned. Dispensable. No questions asked – no discussion made – to a member of the community for 6+ years. Apparently those who only used thread rating as a tool to discourage others (i.e. handing out a 1-star) were deemed more appropriate by the CEO.

Do not try to even make contact with the ruler once you have been banned. It is no use. He refuses to talk. You must “honor thy ban”. In fact, that is the message displayed as justification for your banning when you log into the page. After trying to contact Hicks through countless different mediums (facebook, PD, e-mail, etc.) – you will never receive a response. He just doesn’t care.

If you somehow do get in contact with Hicks during your banning, be prepared to jump through numerous loop-holes...including quizzes that must be answered correctly in order for reinstatement. Some of the questions include “Do you think I’m racist? Yes/No?”; “Do you think you ****ed up tonight? Yes/No?”. I wish I could say I was making this up. They are nothing more than a fleeting attempt to display the Ruler’s absolute power at the expense of the helpless user’s dignity. It is truly sick and perverse.

He just doesn’t care. And you’ll never receive this sort of treatment if you stick to basketball-related posts exceeding 15 paragraphs in length. The rest can be dispensed of; particularly those who contribute little to basketball discussion at all.

...Which is ironic given PD’s history.

Today we see the closing of the counting thread. But back in the RATS days, many of the PD old-timers contributed to a thread that consisted of random thoughts. It was unrightfully closed by the unjust RATS admins, and this had many upset for good reason. This was just one of the many reasons for the beginnings of the real Pacers Digest – but it has spiralled out of control since then. Sadly, PD has become RATS...partaking in the exact same abuses of power that drove people away from RATS to begin with. People have been blinded from seeing this, as it was never meant to get to this point...and most certainly, one is to never question the decisions of the CEO.

This post would never be allowed to surface on PD, as the tolerance for dissenting opinions is at an all-time high. But why is this? It is almost like a trip back in time, where one is not to question the absolute power of the monarchy. Haven’t we grown from this? Wasn’t PD’s foundation based in some type of thinking that allowed for the critical voice? It is CRUCIAL to hear these opinions, to always keep the ruler in check. But in the case of Hicks, it has gone unchecked for far too long. He cannot engage with the critical voice without being personally offended or seeing it as a personal attack – so he partakes in childish “silent treatments” and discourages people from speaking in such terms altogether.

I hope that no one experiences a sudden ban without so much as a word from Hicks...or even an attempt on his part to engage in civil discussion. But such is the nature of the beast. You are likely not deemed worthy of “his community” (even if you’ve been around since the RATS days) – and for that, you’re dispensable. This post has not even begun to scratch the surface of the stories which cast Hicks under a real light, as it would take hours to compose such a thing. Those who have experienced the ban understand...and it is necessary to at least put the truth out into the open. Specific stories regarding Hicks “behind the scenes” would sound so farfetched to most, that many would not even believe them if they read the words for themselves. But this is, at least, some attempt to question what PD has become without getting into specifics. For some existing posters and admins, none of this will come as a surprise; but they realize they cannot express these opinions.

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress DISSENT, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.” – Joseph Goebbels
    With my full support and many others
    Last edited by N8R; 07-23-2010 at 01:37 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to N8R For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What happened to the Pacers Digest I used to know?

I can't tell if this is supposed to be real, or satire...

But hey, it's hilarious either way. Someone needs a bit of a life outside PD.

I've been on PD since day 1. I consider this my basketball home. But if I were banned tomorrow, for no reason whatsoever, it'd sting for about 10 minutes, and I'd be on my way. I wouldn't come back here through side channels to nail myself to a cross.
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-23-2010 at 01:39 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

All of the comments in that post happened to Sweabs and they are the feelings of him. Just very much supported by myself. Hicks has grown into something else these days.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to N8R For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is not the venue. Use PM's.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Mood

As I was undeleting or re-opening the other threads having to do with this incident, I decided to bring this one back as well, even though I have some serious issues with it's twisted and/or in some cases flat out untrue comments.

I did so to make a point that despite claims to the contrary, I haven't been 'seduced by the dark side of the force', I'm not some evil tyrant who gets off on being oppressive, and it was not BS when it was said that these comments were being taken down to allow the situation to cool itself down. I said it and I meant it. The threads are all back now in case you missed them.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I can't tell if this is supposed to be real, or satire...

But hey, it's hilarious either way. Someone needs a bit of a life outside PD.

I've been on PD since day 1. I consider this my basketball home. But if I were banned tomorrow, for no reason whatsoever, it'd sting for about 10 minutes, and I'd be on my way. I wouldn't come back here through side channels to nail myself to a cross.
    It is easy to say that, but when you have no communication it can be extremely frustrating.

Like it or not PD is a community. Hell, I live far far away, and I feel I have many good friends on this site. I have not seen many of them face to face, and there is a good chance I never will (unless a video chat is set up for a forum party )

It is easy enough to buy a domain name and get space, and you can find cheap (or free) hosting these days, so if you think you can do better I see nothing wrong with doing just that. I just hope we do not lose any long time posters, because I have previously stated I enjoy many of the posters who post here, even if I do not always agree with the.

With that said I think it is time for everyone to move on and let bygones be bygones.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

I got banned for 2 weeks last season for commenting on the Pacemates.

here was my comment
    "Well I have to be honest. Regardless if it gets deleted or not.

Only a few of them are actually good looking in my opinion. Half of them are not very skilled dancers especially when they flex their feet during a kick instead of pointing them. The red headed one is always a half step behind according to my girlfriend, which is the reason why she is in the last position of the formation. But they put on a good effort. I enjoy their routines. But part of me wishes we had the Miami Heat girls instead."

Nothing negative towards their looks there. Saying that I only find a few of them attractive is not calling any of them ugly. Just an honest critique of their entertainment value to me. But I got 2 weeks for that, then got another 2 weeks for arguing and being disrespectful.

It was only matter of time before this thing blew up and Napoleon met his Waterloo.

It really is just a case of, I don't like what you are saying, and for that I left this forum for a long time and only recently just started lurking on there with anticipation of the draft.

Mood

So you posted it and got banned for it then, and re-posted it here, airing a matter that was until now private? Are you just testing or something?

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    So you posted it and got banned for it then, and re-posted it here, airing a matter that was until now private? Are you just testing or something?
    Just sharing my experiences.

I've never had a problem with the leadership team here, and I think the site is policed rather well (perhaps not strict enough in terms of how many "new" threads are created). However, it seems that there are some that disagree with this sentiment, and it upsets me that this is the case. I was wondering if a publicly-elected board might be a worthwhile idea. This wouldn't replace the current PD top brass, but would install an additional oversight body consisting of members voted on by the PD community at large. Just an underdeveloped thought.

This solution is, of course, based on the well-known fact that voting solves all problems in America.

Just from being a lurker you can tell who is part of the "cool" clique and who is not.This doesnt really matter to me but i can see where some people get that impression..For example look when a certain poster makes some simple comment and all of their bffs come running to thank them for their post.

Like i said this doesnt matter to me whatsoever thats their decision to live their life that way, plus its only the internet where people would never act like that in real life but feel power hiding behind a computer screen

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

I wanted to make this public for y'all:

Thanks Hicks and all the admins for your hard and diligent work on PD. I've been warned a few times when I made some comments that were against the rules, but the rules are clearly stated and I made them in the heat of the moment or, in one case, in jest, which gotten taken seriously.

I came here from RATS because that messageboard became a hater fest and race-baiting was rampant.

To steal a line from Toby Keith and modify with editorial liberty:

I love this board.

I imagine PD to be a huge commitment and very time-consuming.

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I love this board, too, and I have never met anyone here at any time. I also frequently post opinions that few share, and have been known to question the opinions and observations of moderators and even Hicks himself on occasion and I have only had one post of somewhere around 2000 or so deleted (not sure how many I had prior to the server crash of summer 2009) which was a joke thread I started about Lebron officially being a Cav as of 8:45pm on the night of the "Decision" which, in retrospect, was a good decision by Hicks.

I have never felt any threat against my ability to post my opinions and observations regarding the franchise whether they have been derogatory or supportive, and whether they have pertained to the on the floor product, the coaching, the way that the franchise has treated season ticket holders, or regarding the CIB dealings where the taxpayers are partially funding the franchise for the next 3 years.

If anything, there seems to be a higher maturity level overall at this point as things have progressed, but also a higher level of cynicism for some posters as people seem to have more stressors in their own lives (I would guess) and are looking to vent some of that here.

So, while Pacers Digest may no longer be the Pacers Digest as it was originally envisioned by some who have posted here, I suspect that it is becoming a healthier board overall due to the leadership of Hicks, Gnome, Buck, Peck, etc. who have the courage to stand by their convictions and deliver consistent moderation and oversight as the board continues to gain prominence as a leading fan website for the Indiana Pacers despite having no affiliation with the franchise, and I want to thank them for their efforts.

Hadn't seen this, which is why i'm bumping it, but if sweabs got banned, I disagree with that. He was one of the better posters on here. Is he posting on a different board now?

All that said, I don't know what the whole conflict is about, exactly. I'll say that all boards have their good and weak points.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    Is he posting on a different board now?
    http://infullpursuit.com/

Not a Pacers board. He's using a different name....shouldn't take you long to figure it out if you go to the counting thread there.

I don't believe he's 'banned' here now, but is not a member. He was banned on and off for a bit. Feathers were ruffled.
    Last edited by kester99; 10-11-2010 at 01:00 AM.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to kester99 For This Useful Post: