Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacers talk about how they plan to use Stephenson

Default How stephenson will be used

2012: Pacers return to glory

Paul George All Day

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacers2012 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: How stephenson will be used

"Lance had a very good summer league," Morway told me. "We put him at the point guard position, and he had not played that position very much in the past.

"He has a lot to learn as a point guard and is not a true point guard, but certainly he played well enough to think he can contribute at that position for us."
    That sounds about right. The dude's not Mark Jackson, but he can probably be very effective at the 1 for us.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The dude's not Mark Jackson, but he can probably be very effective at the 1 for us.
    Lord, I hope so.

Default Pacers talk about how they plan to use Stephenson

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi..._talk_abo.html

Jeff Rabjohns, IndyStar

I talked with Pacers general manager David Morway for a while today to get a sense of how the team plans to use Lance Stephenson this year. It's clear the team sees Lance Stephenson as a player who can contribute as a point guard.

The Pacers gave Stephenson a multi-year deal today, which in itself indicates what they think of him. (The Pacers have a policy of not talking about contracts and I couldn't get Morway to budge, but I expect the deal is for either three or four years. I'll update when I get the details 100 percent confirmed. Either way, a three- or four-year deal for a second-round pick is telling.)

Stephenson, who was a heralded New York City prep point guard but didn't play the position at Cincinnati in his one year of college, was back at the position in the Orlando summer league.

"Lance had a very good summer league," Morway told me. "We put him at the point guard position, and he had not played that position very much in the past.

"He has a lot to learn as a point guard and is not a true point guard, but certainly he played well enough to think he can contribute at that position for us."

I've maintained all along Stephenson's play in AAU for four years against a number of players now point guards in the NBA is more of an indication of his potential than is his one season at Cincinnati.

Stephenson was the Pacers second leading scorer in summer league at 14.8 points per game. He was the top shooter of the eight teams in the Orlando summer league with at least 10 attempts at 73.3 percent from the field. He averaged 1.5 assists and 2.3 rebounds while playing 23 minutes per game.

"I believe he surprised some people not only with is ability to handle the ball but his ability to really see the floor in addition to just make plays happen," Morway said. "He's a basketball player. He's got a very, very strong body. He's got a chance to help us in the future.

"We feel like he's got a chance to develop into a player that can be part of our core group as we move forward."

www.twitter.com/JeffRabjohns

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

He won't be no Jalen Rose.
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MrSparko For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Pacers talk about how they plan to use Stephenson

Eh, when Stephenson was being recruited by IU while Sampson was still there, and we were his top choice. He was always pubbed as a small forward.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

IMHO I think the kid will probably see time at both the 1 and 2 spots. They need to get this kid some playing time, wherever they can fit him in, he's a baller. If they could play in short spurts from time to time with him George and Granger on the floor at the same time it will be interesting to see.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    IMHO I think the kid will probably see time at both the 1 and 2 spots. They need to get this kid some playing time, wherever they can fit him in, he's a baller. If they could play in short spurts from time to time with him George and Granger on the floor at the same time it will be interesting to see.
    They might need to use him at PG. If so fine. See if he's capable of doing it.

But I really hope we get him some time at the two. (heck if TJ and AJ can see time at the shooting guard position...)

"I'm your huckleberry"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Cool Re: Pacers talk about how they plan to use Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Eh, when Stephenson was being recruited by IU while Sampson was still there, and we were his top choice. He was always pubbed as a small forward.
    That's more of a neg to Sampson than to Stephenson.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    That's more of a neg to Sampson than to Stephenson.
    Sampson is the absolute scum of the Earth but he does know basketball.

Which is why he's so much better suited for the NBA.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

With that body, he could probably do quite well in the NCAA as a 3.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Sampson is the absolute scum of the Earth but he does know basketball.

Which is why he's so much better suited for the NBA.
    Correct.

And it wasn't just Sampson, it was Rivals and Scout, and pretty much every major scouting service touting him as a two or a three.

scouting services putting as a 2 or a 3 doesn't really mean that much. It has to do with his height more than anything. In high school and AAU and really even the NBA, you don't see very many 6'5" guys that can play the 1.
    Tyreke Evens was thought two be a SG and he is doing okay at PG. If Lance is even close to that good, then we will have found our answer.

There is a reason Tyreke Evans was drafted 5th overall and Lance Stephenson was not...

There is a reason Tyreke Evans was drafted 5th overall and Lance Stephenson was not...

That is right in theory, but how many second round picks have been steals and worked out? There have been a number of them, and we can only hope and dream Lance is our Gilbert Arenas, minus the gun thing and the injuries.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    That is right in theory, but how many second round picks have been steals and worked out? There have been a number of them, and we can only hope and dream Lance is our Gilbert Arenas, minus the gun thing and the injuries.
    Just curious: about when did Golden State figure out they had a diamond in the rough with Arenas? Summer league? Preseason? Trade deadline? Three years in?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Banned

sssh, it's a love fest.
    Seriously, I just can't believe all the hype about a #2 pick that hasn't set foot on the big floor yet.
    The PTB NEED to hype SOMETHING since no trade got done.
    Does anyone here remember James White and what they were saying about HIM??
    He shot well in summer league because almost all of his shots were in the paint as he overpowered summer league point guards that still made him look painfully slow at times on defense. He real position would look to be #2, but supposedly he shot less than TWENTY FIVE PERCENT on shots outside the paint last season........................

And as effective as Evans can be, there are plenty that don't see him as a full time answer to the pg position.
    IF Stephenson can be a smaller scale version of Evans, that will be great. And he will play and have some good minutes in all likelyhood.
    MAYBE even a few at pg....................... maybe
    Last edited by MLB007; 07-23-2010 at 12:27 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Just curious: about when did Golden State figure out they had a diamond in the rough with Arenas? Summer league? Preseason? Trade deadline? Three years in?
    Gilbert Arenas wasn't "Born Ready"

I would love to see Lance to split time between PG and SG. He should get some experience but not enough to overwhelm him. Not saying it would, cause he was Born Ready!
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post

Gilberts second year was his breakout year. He started all 82 games and averaged 18.3 ppg and 6.3 apg.

I sure hope Lance turns out like Gilbert. There certainly seems to be similarities in their game.

Well, I'll say this again. Much of our discussion revolves around a too rigid notion of player roles.

Every successful team needs to have all of the necessary skills on the floor as many minutes as possible. But it doesn't matter how those skills are arranged among the five players on the floor.

Somebody needs to have good court vision in the halfcourt, but it doesn't have to be the point guard. If a wingman has it, then the team is well armed. If the center has it, you're good. There is no rule at all that the point guard must have it and no one else.

I can imagine six months or a year from now, Lance Stephenson is going to become the same sort of punching bag as Troy Murphy has been. He'll be doing enough good things on the court to earn himself some minutes, but there will be a number of posters who use the vomit emoticon every time they mention his name, saying how disgusted they are by the notion of a 6"5' point guard and he's really a 2 guard and so on.

It is valid to ask whether each and every player has this or that important skill. It is valid to ask whether each player's skills earn him minutes on the floor, and whether any combination of five players is optimal.

But I suggest that it is NOT valid to criticize every player according to these too restrictive and ill-fitting notions of what skill combinations are required based on player positions that don't even officially exist.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    scouting services putting as a 2 or a 3 doesn't really mean that much. It has to do with his height more than anything. In high school and AAU and really even the NBA, you don't see very many 6'5" guys that can play the 1.
    Tyreke Evens was thought two be a SG and he is doing okay at PG. If Lance is even close to that good, then we will have found our answer.

No, they put him as a 2 or a 3 because in AAU coaches tried to play him at Point and it didn't work out. And in college coaches tried to play him at point and it didn't work out.

I agree, for the most part, positions can be fluid. But in order to be successful in the NBA you need an actual PG. (and before anyone says it, yes, Fisher is a PG he knows the offense he runs, inside and out.)

Stephenson's going to be playing some PG this year, because he's probably the best ballhandler of the wings, and his name is not TJ Ford.
    Last edited by Sookie; 07-23-2010 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    sssh, it's a love fest.
    Seriously, I just can't believe all the hype about a #2 pick that hasn't set foot on the big floor yet.
    The PTB NEED to hype SOMETHING since no trade got done.
    Does anyone here remember James White and what they were saying about HIM??
    He shot well in summer league because almost all of his shots were in the paint as he overpowered summer league point guards that still made him look painfully slow at times on defense. He real position would look to be #2, but supposedly he shot less than TWENTY FIVE PERCENT on shots outside the paint last season........................

And as effective as Evans can be, there are plenty that don't see him as a full time answer to the pg position.
    IF Stephenson can be a smaller scale version of Evans, that will be great. And he will play and have some good minutes in all likelyhood.
    MAYBE even a few at pg....................... maybe
    At 6'5 and in the 220 range he will be able to overpower a lot of NBA pgs. More importantly I think he will figure out how to get to the foul line much sooner than most rookie pg/sg's.

Right now I feel safe saying that he is a going to be a capable scorer for the Pacers. How good will he be at passing? IMO he is 3/4 years away from being a 5 assist per game player and thats if he really works on it.

As to the whole James White comment, James was hyped because he was athletic not because he was a good basketball player. The only thing they have in common is that they both went to Cincy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    No, they put him as a 2 or a 3 because in AAU coaches tried to play him at Point and it didn't work out. And in college coaches tried to play him at point and it didn't work out.

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure he played point forward at cinci which is why he bulked up to 240 pounds.I really think putting on all that wieght in a small time period really hurt his game.It certainly didn't help his quickness or conditioning . That to me was the main reason for his struggles.Lance certainly wasn't selfish at Cinci and showed in spurts excellent court vision and solid ball handling. We will see how much of a project he is at that spot soon enough but I think he has a chance as long as he buys into it which is hard to do when he has been asked to score most of his life.
    Last edited by nyballer31; 07-23-2010 at 02:45 PM. Reason: hard to type on the phone