Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 149

Thread: Not to beat out the RSS feed, but some news on Chris Paul

  1. #101
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,695

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Not to beat out the RSS feed, but some news on Chris Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exceptions don't kill the rule.
    What about the Browns?

    Jaguars?

    I guess what counts as every few years. I'd say there are plenty of teams in the NFL that haven't been relevant since 2005 (last year of true relevance for the Pacers), that still have solid fanbases or are part of the NFL's machine. The NFL has been dominated for the most part over the past decade by the Steelers, Pats, and Colts.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  2. #102
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Not to beat out the RSS feed, but some news on Chris Paul

    Interesting analysis from Henry Abbott (as always)

    http://espn.go.com/blog/TrueHoop/pos...l-the-pressure

    Businesses make or lose money based on percentage points here on there. A dispirited superstar won't shut the place down or anything, but it saps everybody's ability to believe in the big picture plan, which is more than enough to drag a team from a good business position to a bad one.

    And that's why the Hornets are in a very different position than the Lakers were. The Lakers are The Lakers! One of the more revered team brands in sports. They make money come rain or shine, and it almost never rains in L.A. anyway. They can play chicken with a player like Kobe Bryant and make a credible case that he is not their only route to success.

    In New Orleans, the power imbalance tips in favor of the player. The Hornets have a rookie coach, a rookie GM, a small market and an owner with one foot out the door. Paul is far and away the best thing the Hornets have going for them, which gives him leverage other players in his position wouldn't have.

    That's why league sources with knowledge of the situation say they think the most likely situation is that at some point Paul will be traded. And in that case, the team would be expected to ask for the pieces to fuel a money-saving rebuild: Expiring contracts, draft picks, and affordable young players. That way, the team could sell fans on the future, cut expenses all while keeping hope alive for the long-term.

  3. #103
    Member pacergod2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,886
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Not to beat out the RSS feed, but some news on Chris Paul

    I think Paul might be dissappointed at first, if he were traded here, but I also feel that he would end up loving the organization. Don't underestimate Larry Bird's pull with young players. Same with Michael Jordan. I would think that we would want to keep Granger just based on the "All-Star" stigma that is out there right now. If we include Granger in the deal, then we lose the star power it would take to help keep Paul here and bring in more talent based around he and Granger.

    That said, I would offer them any and all players we have not named Granger or Hibbert to build around. If it came down to it that we were forced to trade them, at least we would have solid wings still, although rather young still. It might be a lot harder to keep Paul around if we trade Granger and Hibbert. Plus, the likelihood of him bolting would leave us exponentially screwed for giving up our two best players.

    Looking at it from New Orleans standpoint, you would want as much salary reduction as possible, because your already bad attendance would fall off the face of the earth. They could still be profitable if they weren't paying anybody but rookies for the next couple of years. They do have a solid young core of players, and would look to rebuild similar to what OKC did. They would clearly be a top 5 lottery team IMO if they dealt Paul. They are only a borderline playoff team with him anyway. If we send a bunch of young pieces to fill out their long-term rotation, I would think they would have to take it.

    Pul George would be able to come in and play SF. Quicy Pondexter would backup up he and Thornton on the wings. They have Collison. If we threw in Hansborough, that is a marketable name at PF who would be solid for them, assuming he is healthy. Also, at center they would need to focus their attention on the center position. This is probably where they would want Hibbert in any deal we do with them. At that point our front court would probably become more of a weakness than it is now.


    They

  4. #104
    Member Pacers2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    395

    Default Re: Not to beat out the RSS feed, but some news on Chris Paul

    I say pull the trigger and do whatever we can besides giving up granger or hibbert.
    2012: Pacers return to glory

    Paul George All Day

  5. #105

    Default Re: Not to beat out the RSS feed, but some news on Chris Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacers2012 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I say pull the trigger and do whatever we can besides giving up granger or hibbert.
    It's probably been said here already ................. but why ??

    After a year, he's a FA and he's outta here and on to NY or wherever. The Pacers are NOT on his 'list'.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:


  7. #106
    Remember #31 dohman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,333

    Default Re: Not to beat out the RSS feed, but some news on Chris Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's probably been said here already ................. but why ??

    After a year, he's a FA and he's outta here and on to NY or wherever. The Pacers are NOT on his 'list'.
    Isnt it two years? I do not believe he is a FA this upcoming season.

    If we could trade for him we could try to sign him to a long term extension before the new cba. It would be worth it money wise to sign now.

    Also there is no guarantee he would leave. In two years with chris paul we are a VERY VERY good team. We could also sign him for the 6 years instead of 5 if I am correct. Guaranteeing a extra year at a inflated salary.

  8. #107
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Not to beat out the RSS feed, but some news on Chris Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Isnt it two years? I do not believe he is a FA this upcoming season.
    Lockout.

  9. #108
    Member Pacers2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    395

    Default Re: Not to beat out the RSS feed, but some news on Chris Paul

    If they make a deal with portland we might be able to get in on the action. new orleans is going to need a guard to back up collison. portland might not want to give them bayless and NO might not want Miller who is 34 and has 2yrs left on his contract worth about 15mil. NO will want to rebuild young. So maybe we can send them ford and portland send us miller. Im not really big on miller since he is 34 with only 2yrs left but, just a theory. most likely wont happen but, portland does have the most to offer NO and paul would be ok with going there.
    2012: Pacers return to glory

    Paul George All Day

  10. #109
    Member pacers74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Plainfield
    Posts
    2,296

    Default Re: Not to beat out the RSS feed, but some news on Chris Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacers2012 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If they make a deal with portland we might be able to get in on the action. new orleans is going to need a guard to back up collison. portland might not want to give them bayless and NO might not want Miller who is 34 and has 2yrs left on his contract worth about 15mil. NO will want to rebuild young. So maybe we can send them ford and portland send us miller. Im not really big on miller since he is 34 with only 2yrs left but, just a theory. most likely wont happen but, portland does have the most to offer NO and paul would be ok with going there.

    I was thinking that maybe we could work our way into a 3 way somehow. I don't want Miller though. I really don't want anyone who is not in the long term plan.

  11. #110
    Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Indy's North Side
    Posts
    1,540

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Not to beat out the RSS feed, but some news on Chris Paul

    Funny thing...
    Looking on the RealGM trade board, there are as you would expect, a ton of CP3 trade being posted. Whats hillarious to me is that about 2/3 of them involve the Pacers being a 3rd party for teams like NY/NJ/Orl/LAL/Bos/Por... all sending us their PG's for our expirings to help them land CP3. What gets me is we have what NO wants, & everyone knows it, we are just not "on the list", or someone who might be considered "just off the list". I would not be surprised if we entered the talks, but not sure we would be wiling to take on Okafor who is signed for 2 yrs beyond Okafor is.

    I would not be surprised if we were involved as a 3rd wheel.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

  12. #111
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,669

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Not to beat out the RSS feed, but some news on Chris Paul

    This is setting a scary precedent.

    Not only would the small-market teams get screwed even further because they lack the appeal of the upper-echelon markets, but the league would denigrate into one of 3-4 powerhouse teams and 25+ bottom feeders.

    Not good at all.

  13. #112

    Default Re: Not to beat out the RSS feed, but some news on Chris Paul

    The Hornets shouldn't buckle. They should focus on positioning themselves as the better destination for Paul once his contract is up in two years. They have the assets for that.´´

    PS - But just in the case they don't follow my recommendation, here's hoping they prefer Bill Simmons' one.
    Last edited by cordobes; 07-22-2010 at 07:39 PM.

  14. #113
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    302

    Default Re: Not to beat out the RSS feed, but some news on Chris Paul

    Just a thought, but is it any coincidence Paul asks for a trade soon after signing on with Lebron's "marketing" firm?

    I think New Orleans should just hold onto him. They're under no obligation to trade him. However if they want to give him to us without us having to break the bank...

  15. #114

    Default Re: Not to beat out the RSS feed, but some news on Chris Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Funny thing...
    Looking on the RealGM trade board, there are as you would expect, a ton of CP3 trade being posted. Whats hillarious to me is that about 2/3 of them involve the Pacers being a 3rd party for teams like NY/NJ/Orl/LAL/Bos/Por... all sending us their PG's for our expirings to help them land CP3. What gets me is we have what NO wants, & everyone knows it, we are just not "on the list", or someone who might be considered "just off the list". I would not be surprised if we entered the talks, but not sure we would be wiling to take on Okafor who is signed for 2 yrs beyond Okafor is.

    I would not be surprised if we were involved as a 3rd wheel.
    Dallas apparently is now on his "preferred" list. Be nice if we could get Beaubois out of a 3-way.

  16. #115
    Member Pacers2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    395

    Default Re: Not to beat out the RSS feed, but some news on Chris Paul

    WHY NOT HOUSTON?

    I know they have brooks but, they have alot of young talent they can give up and still be a team that can contend in the near future. ariza 25, budinger 22, brooks 25, jordan hill 22, kevin martin 27, patrick patterson 21, lowry 24.

    So they could give new orleans brooks and say a first round pick and anyone one of there other young guys.

    This year they have 72mil on the books and next year they will have 34mil and will have to resign yao. Yao might be interested in taking a pay cut so he can make it to the finals for the first time in his career. He has to be a little worried considering his injury problems. he might only have 5yrs left tops. So its pretty much now or never for him and houston.

    If they can get paul and by giving up brooks a first round pick and other young talent then resign yao to a some what lower contract. maybe they can make a run at Melo and interest him to come to houston. I know his first pick is NY but if Houston can land Paul then maybe his preferance changes to Houston.

    Paul, lowry
    melo, martin
    ariza, budinger
    scola, hill
    yao, miller

    brooks, first round, patterson and chuck hayes to Orleans

    It would be nice if we could find out way into this trade and get Brooks. He reminds me of TJ but, is way younger and only has 2yrs left and only about 5mil due to him.
    Last edited by Pacers2012; 07-22-2010 at 08:52 PM.
    2012: Pacers return to glory

    Paul George All Day

  17. #116
    Release Psycho T pwee31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,171

    Default Re: Not to beat out the RSS feed, but some news on Chris Paul

    Paul has 2 years left on his contract, he's not a FA in 2011, that's why a lot of folks focused on Tony Parker.

    I think winning and having a chance to win a title cures everything. If the Pacers were to land Paul, and are able to make a nice playoff run or two, then I think CP3 would consider signing an extension. It's just like he did with the Hornets after they had a couple nice runs in the playoffs.

    Thing is, most "superstars" hate losing, so they'll get their money and try to bolt the place that paid them, or choose to get paid while winning and chasing a championship.

    I think the Pacers would be a nice situation for CP3. We're a young team with up and coming talent. We have a star in Granger, if the Pacers can somehow convince CP3 we could add another star like player, I think he would be interested

  18. #117

    Default Re: Not to beat out the RSS feed, but some news on Chris Paul

    Chris Paul will not be a Pacer. He won't come here willingly and won't want to stay in a rebuilding program; he wants to compete for championships now. But the Pacers could be a player as a third wheel in a Chris Paul trade, and they should explore every opportunity to do so. Maybe, maybe, they can pluck a good PG out of such a deal in return for some expirings and one or two of our second tier guys like Solo and Dahntay.

    You never know; just hope Bird and company are letting everyone know that the Pacers are interested in three way deals.

  19. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Not to beat out the RSS feed, but some news on Chris Paul

    I still don't understand how he is going to play in New York if they already signed a point guard in Raymond Felton?

  20. #119

    Default Re: Not to beat out the RSS feed, but some news on Chris Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still don't understand how he is going to play in New York if they already signed a point guard in Raymond Felton?
    I don't understand your confusion

  21. #120
    Member bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,587

    Default Re: Not to beat out the RSS feed, but some news on Chris Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still don't understand how he is going to play in New York if they already signed a point guard in Raymond Felton?
    "Thanks for offering me that Rolls Royce, but I already have a Camry, so I think I'll pass."

  22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bulldog For This Useful Post:


  23. #121
    Member ToasterBusVIP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    170

    Default Re: Not to beat out the RSS feed, but some news on Chris Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Another, I got my money, I want to play for a winner!

    For a lot of people today their loyalty only goes as far as the outside edge of their skin.

    The owners are going to have to start franchising players in the new CBA.
    Blah. We don't need a guy who might be tired of playing here by the end of the year. I hope he winds up somewhere that's in an endless rebuilding project (Golden State).

  24. #122
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,912

    Default Re: Not to beat out the RSS feed, but some news on Chris Paul

    Here is the latest, and Portland has been added to the list. Wait a minute doesn't Portland being added to the list make the Small market vs large market argument less convinving. He is willing to consider Portland because they are a good team even though they are a really small market. players over the years have been willibng to go to San Antonio even though they are really a small market because they have been a championship team.

    My argument for years is that in order for a smaller market to have a chance at free agents, the small market teams must be good. That is why I am never been an advocate of the be really really bad for 4 or 5 years, get a lot of draft pick and pray a few work out to slowly get better - it is easier being a 42-48 win team (which so many of you claim is the absolute worst position to be in just good enough to lose in the first round of the playoffs) easier being a 45 win team and attrracting a good free agent then to be a 25 win team and expecting to get a free agent. I think Portland being on the list proves that point.

    If the pacers are a 45 win team this season if they make the playoffs, they will have a much, much better chance of signing a free agent outright next summer than if they are a 32 win team


    http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...s_hornets.html

    Rose has had preliminary discussions with the Orlando Magic, Portland Trail Blazers, Dallas Mavericks and New York Knicks about Paul, a three-time All-Star, according to league sources.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  26. #123
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,053

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Not to beat out the RSS feed, but some news on Chris Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here is the latest, and Portland has been added to the list. Wait a minute doesn't Portland being added to the list make the Small market vs large market argument less convinving. He is willing to consider Portland because they are a good team even though they are a really small market. players over the years have been willibng to go to San Antonio even though they are really a small market because they have been a championship team.
    That's the case now as we go into transition. However, the concentration of talent will mean that if a small market team is in the mix it is because they were ALREADY good. Small market teams who were not good at the beginning of the process won't have a chance to be in future. Large market teams will have more appeal outside of winning and so will be able to right their ships.

    As currently good franchises have their inevitable cycle of reversal, the small market teams may not be able to recover, while large market teams will.

    It is like a mix of sand and water - when you shake it up, some of the sand will actually move to the top because the current is going that way. However, once the water movement stops and things start to settle, the sand all clumps together in one place.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  28. #124
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Not to beat out the RSS feed, but some news on Chris Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here is the latest, and Portland has been added to the list. Wait a minute doesn't Portland being added to the list make the Small market vs large market argument less convinving. He is willing to consider Portland because they are a good team even though they are a really small market. players over the years have been willibng to go to San Antonio even though they are really a small market because they have been a championship team.

    My argument for years is that in order for a smaller market to have a chance at free agents, the small market teams must be good. That is why I am never been an advocate of the be really really bad for 4 or 5 years, get a lot of draft pick and pray a few work out to slowly get better - it is easier being a 42-48 win team (which so many of you claim is the absolute worst position to be in just good enough to lose in the first round of the playoffs) easier being a 45 win team and attrracting a good free agent then to be a 25 win team and expecting to get a free agent. I think Portland being on the list proves that point.

    If the pacers are a 45 win team this season if they make the playoffs, they will have a much, much better chance of signing a free agent outright next summer than if they are a 32 win team


    http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...s_hornets.html

    Rose has had preliminary discussions with the Orlando Magic, Portland Trail Blazers, Dallas Mavericks and New York Knicks about Paul, a three-time All-Star, according to league sources.

    Again your argument does not hold any ground, The Trail Blazers are a good team because they were really bad for a long time getting top draft picks, that is how they got Oden,Aldridge,Roy,etc,etc.

    They decided long time ago that been in purgatory(like the pacers) was going to take them longer to rebuild the team and traded most of their long contracts for draft picks and expiring contracts even if that meant losing more games.(I been advocating for this in a long time)

    Chris Paul wants to go to a "winning team", Trail Blazers, Orlando and New York many years ago were in the same place the Pacers are right now, the only difference is that they were smart enough to let it be and not win meaningless games.

  29. #125
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Not to beat out the RSS feed, but some news on Chris Paul

    A mildly reassuring quote from Larry Coon (per Twitter):


    RT @djxsremix: is NBA en route to 3 or 4 teams with all the firepower, and everyone else "happy to be here"?

    Nah, I think these clustering...effects are short-lived and will work themselves out. Next
    CBA will help sustainability for small-market franchises.

Similar Threads

  1. Chris Paul: Returning to New OrleansHornets is right thing to do [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2010, 07:10 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-22-2010, 06:50 PM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-14-2010, 10:42 PM
  4. More funny stuff from Paul Shirley
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-04-2005, 03:55 PM
  5. Complete Game 2 Coverage From The Detroit News & Detroit Free Press
    By obnoxiousmodesty in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 11:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •