Thread: Not to beat out the RSS feed, but some news on Chris Paul

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Not to beat out the RSS feed, but some news on Chris Paul

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    Looking at it from the perspective of the suits working in the NBA's ivory tower, it's not a bad thing to have all the good teams be in the 8 largest markets, while the rest of the league serves as fodder for their highlight reels.
    It's time to storm the Bastille.

Larry Legend organizes the NBA version of the USFL.
    Larry was the poster child for the unbalanced NBA in the 1980's that needed the salary cap to survive. Surely you've heard of the Larry Bird rule?

The NBA had instituted a "hard" salary cap in the early 80's to try to bring some balance. The league was seriously at risk to contract from 22 teams down to about a dozen. (Who was losing money? Cavaliers, Bullets, Pacers, Hawks, Braves/Clippers, Nets, Nuggets, Spurs, KC Kings, Warriors, maybe more.)

Then the Celtics started whining that they couldn't afford to resign Bird, and the Bird rule was created so that the Celtics could circumvent the salary cap (thus making it the soft cap that we have today) and the NBA continued down its trend during the 80s were every October you could successfully pick the Western Conference champion (Lakers) and had a pretty good chance of picking the Eastern Conference finalists (Celtcs and generally either Philly or Milwaukee until Zeke and Dumars led the Pistons to respectability.)

The golden age of The Finals was also a 20-team race for fourth place, where those teams had no chance of cracking the top three.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

That is All-Star level pointing. I'm sold.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btowncolt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt View Post

That is All-Star level pointing. I'm sold.
    I was just thinking while reading another thread... the people are worried about whether a small forward can guard. That's so 'ed up. I'm not interested in whether Granger can guard, I want him to work on his Small and his Forward. And having a guard that can Point as well as CP3 is doing in this picture will really help Danny with his Forward.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Is it better to just throw up now if CP3 goes to the Knicks?

I was lucky to avoid seeing Lebron go to the Knicks....but now CP3?

I mean...at some point....some top Tier Player ( whether it be CP3, Carmelo or whoever is the flavor of the month ) is going to go there.....I might as well get it over with...cuz it's inevitably going to happen.

count55, after signing Amare and Felton ( like he matters any more )....what are the 2010-2011 SalaryCap projections factoring in adding CP3, Okafor and Amare?

I'd hope that the Hornets would be smart enough to gut whatever Team that CP3 goes to of young talent. On top of that...I'd hope that CP3 is cool enough to the Hornets that he doesn't demand that the FO doesn't take everything from whatever Team that he gets traded to so that the Hornets at least gets something decent in return for him.

One last thing....I know that it's a very long shot....but I'd hope that Bird at least makes some effort to try to acquire CP3. I know we have a miniscule chance of it happening....but I'd like to say that we ( at least ) made some calls to guage any possible interest.
    Last edited by CableKC; 07-22-2010 at 11:33 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

What's the saddle point between the Hornets getting both attractive potential and cap relief, and us getting win-now help and competitiveness?

My guess is something like Paul + Okafor <--> Hans, George, (Murph, Ford,) & two #1s.

Would one additional stud FA (in time) make us a contender? Dunno ... be fun to watch, though!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

For the Pacers to have a shot at getting Paul they'd have to include Hibbert and future 1st rounders in the deal. Yes, at least 2 future first rounders.

That's how you trade for a superstar. Expiring contracts are nice but they only work when you pair them with one young prospect that the team doesn't want to part with and future first round draft picks.

Something like this would be better than anything the Knicks could offer:

Hibbert/Ford/Murphy + 2 future first rounders

For CP3/Okafor + future 2nd round pick
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DrFife View Post
    What's the saddle point between the Hornets getting both attractive potential and cap relief, and us getting win-now help and competitiveness?

My guess is something like Paul + Okafor <--> Hans, George, (Murph, Ford,) & two #1s.

Would one additional stud FA (in time) make us a contender? Dunno ... be fun to watch, though!
    Ignoring that CP3 wouldn't come here.....

My guess is that if we were able to somehow get Paul and Hibbert on the roster for the long-term...it would be better then one that is centered around Granger....or more specifically....a Team built around a SF. The PG and Center positions ( the hardest position to fill ) would be established for the next 3-4 seasons. Everything in between would be easy to fill over the next couple of season.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

"I'm your huckleberry"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    For the Pacers to have a shot at getting Paul they'd have to include Hibbert and future 1st rounders in the deal. Yes, at least 2 future first rounders.

That's how you trade for a superstar. Expiring contracts are nice but they only work when you pair them with one young prospect that the team doesn't want to part with and future first round draft picks.

Something like this would be better than anything the Knicks could offer:

Hibbert/Ford/Murphy + 2 future first rounders

For CP3/Okafor + future 2nd round pick
    I disagree since the Hornets would have to pony up sooner to keep Hibbert than if they had Paul George. I think allowing the Hornets to blow it all up would be a bigger plus for them. Offer to take Posey and Okafor, their two worst contracts, and give them expirings and a bright future with a promising rookie + future firsts.

Looking at this scenario from CP's view, I'd take the Pacers situation with Hibbert and Granger over damaged goods in NY.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

I changed my mind. I'd pass on CP3. Don't trust his loyalty to my team.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Why do players want to play for some small market teams, but not others. Why did some players want to play for the pacers back in the 90's, but not now.

This is my main argument against those who want to tank seasons, for those who want to get bad to get good, for those who want to completely re-build. No free agent (for the most part) wants to come to a bad team. So that is why it is better to be a 42 win team than a 15 win team
    So if your argument is true why the Pacers are not mention as one of the team he wants to go to? they haven't tank for all I know. Why New York is one of his choices if they been tanking forever and losing more games than the Pacers?

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

Offer to take Posey and Okafor, their two worst contracts, and give them expirings and a bright future with a promising rookie + future firsts.
    I'm thinking if he wants out of N.O. he probably wants to get away from these same cap killing players instead of bringing them with him.

Also I say there is no way he gets traded to the Knicks. N.O. just signed Dell Demps as GM who came up in the San Antonio system. They didn't win 4 titles making stupid trades out of desperation.

If you have an asset who is one of the top point guards in the league, all nba 1st team, multiple time all star are you going to trade him for Randolph (young talent with "potential” that Warriors just gave up on), Azubuike, Chandler (7-9 men on a good playoff team), Curry (a lazy player who ate himself out of the league thrown in as cap filler) and 2014 & 2016 first rounders (2012 belongs to Rockets)? Try selling those first rounders in 5 yrs to your season ticket holders.

I'm thinking that "if" they decide to trade him they will want a starter or two, young talent and draft picks with no bad contracts unless expiring this year. They will have plenty of options and if Paul really wants out that list will expand. Maybe not the Pacers but not NY either.

The only way he ends up in NY is if they sign him in 2 yrs after he becomes a free agent and by then Stoudemire's knees will be gone and they will be saddled with his albatross contract. These NY writers keep throwing out these Hail Mary scenarios because of some delusion the Knicks will be relevant again this decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I changed my mind. I'd pass on CP3. Don't trust his loyalty to my team.
    Clearly you'd have to get him without giving away the rest of your assets.

A situation of Paul/ Rush/ Granger/ TBD/ Hibbert would be pretty nice. But George/ Tyler/ McBob/ expirings/ draft picks just won't be anywhere near enough of a package to entice the Hornets. So you've got to gut the team to get him, we'd still be about a 0.500 team (which is a lot better than 32-wins, don't get me wrong!) and then we'd have to worry about his loyalty.

Obviously, Bird should not pull the trigger on anything involving Paul until he figures out if Paul is looking for a winner, looking for the bright lights of a big city, or a mystical combination of both.

We really need a player (specifically, a PG) of Paul's caliber to demand a trade in about two seasons when we've accumulated a few more assets and have more trade flexibility and can make it happen. Sadly, right now we are not in any position to make a trade for an elite player without gutting the rest of the team.

Paul/ Dhantay/ George/ TBD/ Hibbert or Paul/ Rush/ George/ TBD/ TBD with no 2011 first rounder... those are still a 32- to 36- win teams.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    So if your argument is true why the Pacers are not mention as one of the team he wants to go to? they haven't tank for all I know. Why New York is one of his choices if they been tanking forever and losing more games than the Pacers?
    New York is New York. Difficult to compare the pacers to the Knicks.

My point is free agents only want to go to either good teams or teams in large markets. Pacers will never be a large market, so the pacers need to get as good as they possibly can, and then they will have a better chance of attracting free agents.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I won't criticize Chris Paul much for demanding a trade. The situation in that organization is pretty extreme. The owner is horrible, they have been trying to get rid of contracts for two seasons, they fired Paul's coach is Byron Scott. I think Chris paul has been very loyal and wanted to stay with the Hornets, but things have only gotten worse for that franchise.

He needs to be able to go to more than just 3 teams though
    I agree with this, this is the reason why I am not afraid of him leaving if the Pacers are willing to build a winning team and be aggressive in doing so.

I would trade anybody but Granger for him and the 1st pick next year( in a weak draft anyway) I would not trade Granger not because I think he is more valuable than Paul but is just because Paul would not agree to come here if Danny is not here.

Maybe like other people already said, bring Okafor and Paul for Murphy,Ford, George and the 1st round pick, the Pacers would look like this:

Paul
    Rush
    Danny
    Okafor
    Hibbert

We could have our own "Big Three" with Paul,Danny and Okafor(or maybe Hibbert)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If you win, your market can become a big market. You will get TV time. Heck, even JO had a major shoe deal while he was here.

Being in a big market is vastly overrated in this day and age.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

For those suggesting offering Granger in a deal for Paul, please explain what you're hoping to achieve.

How will a gutted Pacer team be any better than the Hornets team he's on now? It doesn't make sense for us or Paul to do that. All we'd be getting is a 2-year rental on a team that wouldn't even make the playoffs. We'd be no better than we are now.

Now if you feel George is capable of filling Granger's shoes then maybe you have a point. But that's far from known at this stage. And when/if he becomes a top SF, it'd probably be at the end of CP3's contract.

Now if we can trade for him without including Granger, then I'm all for it because we'd have two all-star level players to build around.

I see any trading for Paul involving Granger as a lateral move.

Quote Originally Posted by pacerDU View Post
    I see any trading for Paul involving Granger as a lateral move.
    Would it even be that? I doubt trying to trade him again would get you Granger-level back. And if he opts out and signs with another team via free agency, you just plain lose out.

You would have to retain value by keeping him under contract and in Indy (which would be an upgrade talent wise, and maybe a bit of an increase in W's) or hope that you can negotiate a S&T.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Looking at it from the perspective of the suits working in the NBA's ivory tower, it's not a bad thing to have all the good teams be in the 8 largest markets, while the rest of the league serves as fodder for their highlight reels.
    The question, of course, being what owner(s) want to have a team that only sells out a few times a year and can't afford to operate because it gets no airplay or hype except as the posterized?

Do you just let your big-8 owners own a second team that serves as cannon-fodder?

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    The golden age of The Finals was also a 20-team race for fourth place, where those teams had no chance of cracking the top three.
    Doesn't mean it was a sustainable business model nor that something can't or shouldn't be done to change it.

Is it possible at all that one of the reasons the NFL overtakes other sports in popularity is because fans can actually think their team will have a shot at winning every few years?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Is it possible at all that one of the reasons the NFL overtakes other sports in popularity is because fans can actually think their team will have a shot at winning every few years?
    No, that's crazy talk.....

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    Larry was the poster child for the unbalanced NBA in the 1980's that needed the salary cap to survive. Surely you've heard of the Larry Bird rule?

The NBA had instituted a "hard" salary cap in the early 80's to try to bring some balance. The league was seriously at risk to contract from 22 teams down to about a dozen. (Who was losing money? Cavaliers, Bullets, Pacers, Hawks, Braves/Clippers, Nets, Nuggets, Spurs, KC Kings, Warriors, maybe more.)

Then the Celtics started whining that they couldn't afford to resign Bird, and the Bird rule was created so that the Celtics could circumvent the salary cap (thus making it the soft cap that we have today) and the NBA continued down its trend during the 80s were every October you could successfully pick the Western Conference champion (Lakers) and had a pretty good chance of picking the Eastern Conference finalists (Celtcs and generally either Philly or Milwaukee until Zeke and Dumars led the Pistons to respectability.)

Good points.

But just because Larry was the subject of all that doesn't mean he's not capable of organizing a revolution against it.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Mood

Detroit fans call bull****.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    Detroit fans call bull****.
    Exceptions don't kill the rule.

The question, of course, being what owner(s) want to have a team that only sells out a few times a year and can't afford to operate because it gets no airplay or hype except as the posterized?

Do you just let your big-8 owners own a second team that serves as cannon-fodder?

Doesn't mean it was a sustainable business model nor that something can't or shouldn't be done to change it.

Meh...maybe to some degree.

The NFL has a number of natural advantages, first and foremost being that it is tailor-made for television. It has the shortest season, in terms of number of games, and it's Sunday afternoon slot makes it event viewing with virtually no competition. It provides its action in short, bite-sized bursts that allow for both commercials and ample social interaction.

This allows the league to get incredibly lucrative television contracts, which then helps drive parity through Rozelle's brilliant revenue sharing program.

But, more than anything else, in my opinion, is that the NFL is one of the few professional sports that gets even casual fans to watch games that don't involve their teams on a regular basis. For several years now, I have gotten together with my long-time friend and my brother on Monday nights during the season to watch MNF - regardless of the matchup. In all of my life, I can only remember one time that I have gotten together with friends with the express purpose of watching a non-Pacer NBA game - (Game 1 of the 1998 NBA Finals between the Jazz and the Bulls - I had just bought a new house, and I had some friends over to watch the game.)

Don't laugh, but NFL Fantasy football is hands down the easiest Fantasy Sport. Nothing, and I mean nothing, changes your interest level in a random game than having one of your players playing.

The parity thing doesn't hurt, but most of it is just football. (There's a great essay by Chuck Klosterman in Eating the Dinosaur about the appeal of football.)
    Last edited by count55; 07-22-2010 at 02:48 PM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Exceptions don't kill the rule.
    No, but it was funny!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post

The NFL has a number of natural advantages, first and foremost being that it is tailor-made for television. It has the shortest season, in terms of number of games, and it's Sunday afternoon slot makes it event viewing with virtually no competition. It provides it's action in short, bite-sized bursts that allow for both commercials and ample social interaction.

This allows the league to get incredibly lucrative television contracts, which then helps drive parity through Rozelle's brilliant revenue sharing program.

But, more than anything else, in my opinion, is that the NFL is one of the few professional sports that gets even casual fans to watch games that don't involve their teams on a regular basis. For several years now, I have gotten together with my long-time friend and my brother on Monday nights during the season to watch MNF - regardless of the matchup. In all of my life, I can only remember one time that I have gotten together with friends with the express purpose of watching a non-Pacer NBA game - (Game 1 of the 1998 NBA Finals between the Jazz and the Bulls - I had just bought a new house, and I had some friends over to watch the game.)
    I have posted similar thoughts in trying to explain the interest in football, mainly NFL football. College football is consistantly very popular, but nothing like the NFL. Game #7 of the NBA Finals a month ago was 28.3 million and the BCS championship game was 30.2 M. college football benefits from the feeling that every game is important during the regular season. Can't compare the Superbowl to other games because that is a national holiday, but the AFC and NFC champpinship games typically get $45 - $55 million viewers.

I think the NFL has many advantages as you mention count besides the actual game (which I don't like myself) But the media coverage of the NFL is excellent, much better than any other sport. The time of year the playoffs takes place helps too, January and early February - what else is there to do. Plus the scheduling is huge, every Sunday, so it is easy to watch every game and if you never miss a game, you are a lot less likely to choose to miss a game. Compare to the pacers when there is a game Tuesday night, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. Difficult to tell your wife, i am going to watch 4 games this week. So you pick and choose and the more games you miss the more likely you are to miss future games.

Count as you mention football is much easier to watch with a group of people because of the dead time between plays, plus there are about 10 exciting plays during a game and that makes great highlights. football also has a much wider selection of different play scenerios, basketball it is pretty much similar plays over and over again.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 07-22-2010 at 02:57 PM.