Thread: Caron Butler wants to Have it his way

Default Caron Butler wants to Have it his way

http://www.journaltimes.com/sports/a...cc4c002e0.html

GERY WOELFEL: Butler building for the future

* Story
    * Discussion

GERY WOELFEL gwoelfel@journaltimes.com | Posted: Monday, July 19, 2010 11:16 pm | No Comments Posted

Font Size:
    Default font size
    Larger font size

buy this photo Photo by Nam Y. Huh Associated Press: Two-time NBA All-Star and Racine native Caron Butler is not only preparing for life after basketball, he’s also working to make a difference in Racine.

There is a tendency in our society to place labels on people. Professional athletes are a prime example.

Pro athletes are often perceived as dumb jocks. They supposedly lack the mental faculties to excel in a field outside their chosen profession.

That, of course, is ludicrous. We have seen that stereotype blown out of the water on countless occasions over the years.

Former Green Bay Packers star Willie Davis made a nice segue from the football field into the corporate boardroom.

Ditto for Junior Bridgeman and Jon McGlocklin, two former Milwaukee Bucks stars who became successful businessmen.

It's become increasingly apparent the ones who peg athletes as dumb are indeed the dumb ones themselves.

Which brings us to Racine native Caron Butler. He is well on his way to proving his talents aren't exclusively athletic.

Butler, a former Park High School and current Dallas Mavericks star, decided several years ago that his abilities extend beyond a basketball court.

"Ever since I was 24, I've been thinking outside the box,'' the 30-year-old Butler said. "As an athlete, you don't know the life expectancy of your career.

"I want to do a lot of things with my life. I want to make as much money off the court as I've made on the court.

"I want to continue to grown and build my net worth.''

That is a lofty entrepreneurial goal as Butler already is in the high-end tax bracket. He is a millionaire many times over.

Butler will be paid $10.6 million this season and could earn even more next summer. That's when he could be an unrestricted free agent and sign with the team of his choice ... or accept a multi-year extension from the Mavs.

Either way, Butler's net worth will inevitably expand.

But Butler is in the process of branching out and attempting to maximize all of his other skills, including those in the business sector.

He is the sole proprietor of six Burger King restaurants around the country.

"I once worked at Burger King in Racine,'' Butler said. "I know the business. I know it from the janitorial spot all the way through the management side.

"I know that game inside and out.''

Butler has also had discussions with Mark Cuban, the Mavericks' billionaire owner, about "shadowing" him and learning more about the intricacies of business.

Butler also intends on taking a course in business next summer at Duke University.

While Butler was just like almost every other kid growing up who wanted to be "Just like Mike" - as in Jordan - he now wants to be just like Magic - as in Johnson.

"Just seeing what Magic Johnson has done and is doing is unreal," Butler said. "He's part-owner of the (Los Angeles) Lakers, he owns Starbucks, Burger Kings, LA Fitnesses and theaters.

"I'm trying to get more and more involved in different things like him."

Butler then flashed that mega-watt smile of his and quipped, "At 30, Magic wasn't a Burger King owner yet."

Even though Butler is consumed with broadening his horizons, he remains devoted tow helping his hometown become an even better place to work and live.

Butler's contributions to our city over the years have been well-chronicled and, this summer, he's continued lending a hand.

Butler helped usher in the successful midnight basketball league at the Bray Center, bringing along a surprise guest for the occasion, teammate and fellow NBA All-Star Shawn Marion.

Butler also held his sixth annual "Bike Brigade," where he distributed 250 spanking new bikes to youths in the community.

There was just one caveat, though.

"The young kids had to sign peace pledges," Butler said. "They pledged to become great pillars in our community.

"And they had to abide by the rules, that they ride safely and that they ride with helmets."

Butler also sponsored a free concert at Memorial Hall, one that featured some nationally-renowned hip hoppers, including Waka Flocka and Yo Gotti.

Again, there was a caveat.

In order to get a free ticket, each person had to bring four canned food items to the concert. Approximately, 1,800 people attended the event; 7,200 canned food items were collected.

Butler, who seemingly has boundless energy, is also sponsoring several Amateur Athletic Union basketball teams and even arranged a meeting where former Park High basketball player Josh Cameron got to meet LeBron James.

"I've been working out Josh, and LeBron is his favorite player," Butler explained. "So I had LeBron talk to him. LeBron gave him some inspirational words."

Butler's fondest moment of the summer, however, came a couple of weeks ago. That's when he and his wife, Andrea, welcomed the newest member of their family into the world: daughter Ava.

Ava, whose godfather is Miami Heat superstar Dwyane Wade, joins siblings Camary, Caron Jr. and Mia.

"I love kids," Butler said. "I learn so much being around my children. They keep me young.

"They're the most important thing to me in the world. I always say, ‘Family first.' I got that tatted on my back."

Butler will be leaving for Dallas in a couple of weeks in preparation for the upcoming NBA season, but he plans to keep coming back to Racine as much as possible. He realizes there is plenty of work to be done in this community and he's willing to do his part.

"Racine has been hit hard by the economy,'' Butler said. "But we got a lot of great energy in this city, a lot of great people.

"One of the things I want to do is bring more opportunity and more awareness to Racine. I don't want to get into it, but we got some big things coming to the city within the next two years.

"I look forward to big things for this city."

And for himself.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Caron Butler wants to Have it his way

LOL .. When I first read the thread title upon entering it .... For a split-second I thought to myself "Damn, Caron musta either hooked up with Burger King on somethin', or there was an incident at a Burger King involving him.. "
    lmao..

But that is cool he is investing his money wisely.. upon now reading the article..

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Great story... I love hearing how Caron is showing pride in Racine through his generosity.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LOL .. When I first read the thread title upon entering it .... For a split-second I thought to myself "Damn, Caron musta either hooked up with Burger King on somethin', or there was an incident at a Burger King involving him.. "
    lmao..

But that is cool he is investing his money wisely.. upon now reading the article..

Yeah, sad to admit that was my first thought too!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Love Caron

I once read an article, where apparently some kid (a fan) invited Caron to his birthday party. Caron had nothing going on that day, so he went.

He also still sends Calhoun father's day cards on Father's day.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/dcspo..._surprise.html

A Caron Butler Surprise

Anthony Fadel had met Caron Butler once before. The Centreville High sophomore had a friend whose cousin lives two doors down from the Butlers, and they stopped by once and rang the doorbell. Caron's wife came to the door.

"We didn't know what to say," Anthony told me. "We were just like, 'Is Caron there?' She was like, 'One second'."
    Then Caron came out to chat. So understandably, Anthony has been partial to Butler, and he told his mom how cool it would be to have Caron over one day to hang out and play some basketball. So when his mom was planning Anthony's surprise 16th birthday party, she had her 13-year-old daughter Kristen drop off an invitation at the Butler home.
    "I wasn't going to go myself; the little girl can always get away with it," Anthony's mom, Marie, told me with a laugh.

The invite said the Fadels would hold the surprise party any day in the month of May, if Caron were willing to come, even if just for five minutes. They never heard back from him. A week later they went back with another invite, and he came to the door and said maybe. They never heard back from him.

Just your typical NBA-themed birthday party. (Courtesy Fadel family)
    So the party planning went on. On the day of the surprise, May 12, Anthony's dad took him out to the driving range. About a dozen friends came over and waited in the basement.
    "And then I see a black Range Rover coming up my driveway," Marie told me. "I looked out and I said 'Oh my God, Caron Butler is here."
    She went into the basement and told Anthony's friends who had arrived. They thought it was some sort of code word or nickname for Anthony.
    "I said 'No no, Caron Butler, from the Wizards, the real one'," Marie told me.

So Caron came inside, and asked what she needed him to do.
    "I said 'It's a surprise party, everyone's in the basement'," Marie recalled, and so Caron Butler went down into the basement to watch the NBA playoffs with a bunch of high school sophomores who were waiting to surprise their buddy. About 10 minutes later, Anthony arrived home, with his dad.

Caron is the one on the far right. (Courtesy Fadel family)
    "We just went downstairs, opened the door to the basement, and Caron Butler's just over there chilling with my friends," Anthony told me. "I couldn't say anything. I was just shocked."
    So the birthday party carried on. They all sat in the basement and watched the second half of Cavs-Nets, Game 3. The Fadels offered Caron food; Anthony told me he only accepted a Pepsi. He posed for pictures, and gave Anthony a signed pair of sneakers and a signed poster that he had brought. Then, as he was leaving, he took out his cell phone, made a call and handed the phone to Anthony.

"I just kind of grabbed it and it was Gilbert Arenas on the phone," Anthony told me. "I was just, like, shocked. So I talked to Gilbert for a little bit. He said happy birthday to me. I asked him about his leg."
    Then Caron left, in the Range Rover. Then the 15 boys played five-on-five basketball, according to plans.
    "We were like, 'We just hung out with an NBA all-star player'," said Youssif Aziz, who was at the party. "It just made the night right there."
    "It was awesome," Anthony summarized.

Anthony talks to Gilbert Arenas. (Courtesy Fadel family)
    WRC found out about the party through Lindsay Czarniak's hairdresser's son; they ran a piece a few weeks ago, which I never saw at the time, but which you can watch here. I found out about the event via a friend of Anthony's, who reads my blog and e-mailed me the info. To their eternal credit, the Wizards made a concerted decision not to seek out birthday party coverage, figuring that would have made the gesture seem less genuine somehow.

Anyhow, I talked to Caron today. He said the invite had been hanging on his refrigerator, and that he didn't have anything going on that particular Saturday, and that it just seemed like a good idea. He said everyone in the community has been "real courteous and very kind" to him, and that local fans have supported him since he's been here, and that he just thought he should reciprocate.

"I thought it was a good thing to do, to make someone's dream come true," he told me. "It was just as rewarding for me as it was for him."

I asked whether he wasn't worried that every teenager in the D.C. area would immediately send him a birthday party invitation.

"I'm actually moving, so they'll have to find me first," he told me. "As long as I'm not doing anything, I don't have any problem going to anyone's birthday party. I'm not anti-social. It's good being around your fans."
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Skaut_Ech For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

If we Lance, BRush, Paul, John, Ringo or George ( seriously, we have so many Wing Players that I lost track ) don't work out as a Starting SG option for the near future....I'd hope that the FO would pursue Caron Butler next season.

Heck, if it came down to it...I'd do a S&T of one of them ( probably BRush ) for Butler as an upgrade next offseason if Lance, BRush or Paul doesn't work out.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Love Caron Butler. A Batman/Butler (get it?) combo would be awesome on the wings.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!