Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why starting Stephenson at PG could be a smart move for the Pacers' future(indystar)

Default Re: Why starting Stephenson at PG could be a smart move for the Pacers' future(indystar)

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoddage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm cautiously optimistic when it comes to Lance. Of course I'm hoping it'll work out between us and him, but at the same time, I am a little concerned about what could happen if he ended up becoming the player he can be. Would he let the attention get to his head, or would he be mature enough to handle it like a professional? Lord knows the Pacers don't need another Artest-like situation.
    I'm clearly on the "Lance is a SG not a PG" bandwagon, but I also don't think it's fair to look at him on a personal level.

He's a kid. Has he made some mistakes, yea. Has he been unprofessional. Yea. But he is quite young. Guys need to grow up. I don't know that it's fair to worry about him over the other players. People make mistakes in their lives, I'm sure most don't want to be judged for things they did when they were 17 or 18.

Default Re: Why starting Stephenson at PG could be a smart move for the Pacers' future(indystar)

Anthem-

Since I was curious who those guys were down in Orlando who
    'couldn't get around' Stephenson, I did a little quick research.
    Here is the illustrious list of future, NBA, HOF'ers that Lance faced.

Jerome Randle, Curtis Stinson, Ben Uzoh and the one and only,
    Sundiata Gaines.

I wonder if the lack of a move for a vet PG, so far, is due to

-availablity of a good deal
    -Cap restrictions
    -Confidence that Lance can carry part of the load
    -AJ being close to being ready
    -TJ being thought of as an actual option based on where we are now

or maybe a combination of all of it, I guess.

I also wonder what options Earl Watson has left from a dwindling market?

Bird still states his goal as attaining a vet PG, but I just wonder how much the urgency of doing this has waned due to Lance, if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Point by point

-availablity of a good deal
    Absolutely

-Cap restrictions
    Probably the biggest single factor

-Confidence that Lance can carry part of the load
    I think this had an effect, but only in that they are no longer targeting two point guards. They may go into the season without another vet PG, but they'll have to hold their noses to do it.

-AJ being close to being ready
    If I were to bet one way or another, I would say that they are not counting on AJ much, if at all. I don't necessarily expect it to happen, but it would not be a particularly surprising event to see them cut AJ either prior to 8/1 or prior to opening night, which are key dates regarding his guarantees.

If they cut him prior to 8/1, they owe him nothing. Only $175,000 becomes guaranteed from that point until opening night. The $175 seems small enough for them to give him another two-three months to see how the knee responds, but I think it's far from a sure thing that he comes back next year.

AJ's situation heightens the need for a vet PG, and I am almost completely positive that's how the FO views it.

I've seen his injury minimized on the basis that it's a bone break. However, he basically broke his knee cap without contact, simply trying to make a basketball move. This is the second major injury to his left knee in a period of just over two years. I don't see any way that can't be of significant concern.

Uhhhh...no.

or maybe a combination of all of it, I guess.

I also wonder what options Earl Watson has left from a dwindling market?

Bird still states his goal as attaining a vet PG, but I just wonder how much the urgency of doing this has waned due to Lance, if at all.
    I think the urgency is just as high, but the options are few. Draft night was the best opportunity for a deal, but the best deal I heard (OKC's TJ Salary Dump) didn't directly address the PG position, other than to open up the ability to offer a bigger chunk of the MLE for one of these guys.

Personally, I'd rather have Paul George, than to be signed on to guys like Steve Blake, Luke Ridnour, or even Jordan Farmar for 3-4 years.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post

I've seen his injury minimized on the basis that it's a bone break. However, he basically broke his knee cap without contact, simply trying to make a basketball move. This is the second major injury to his left knee in a period of just over two years. I don't see any way that can't be of significant concern.
    I've wondered this at times, too. I know AJ has shown remarkable, admirable resiliency in overcoming injuries/health issues in the past. However, at some point you have to look at just the sheer number of different health situation that have cropped up. Is this just another random injury or is it becoming more the norm/pattern?

I hope he overcomes it and is retained, but it's hard imagine TPTB not having discussed all angles vis a vis his roster spot. They seem very high on him overall, though, so hopefully that bodes well. Still, just from the PG roster and overall roster limit, he and Ford together provide a challenge - TJ because he's not particularly wanted (purportedly) and AJ because you have to think he won't be 100% until well into the season even assuming all goes well.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

There is still the fact that we need a 3rd pg behind/in-front of price and stephenson. Ford is on the Lazy-Suzanne carousel of JOB's playing time, mainly only when he has to because of injury. Every day another pg is off the board. I've come to grips with the fact that we are not a player in the FA market. Most likely if we add the "veteran pg" its gonna be a trade. I say we throw caution to the wind and go after...

....JEREMY LIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need 2 healthy PG's to start the season. How funny would that be to have both of them rookies, especially if they beat the odds and were actually decent? but how good does the pg have to be to run JOB's last year offense? Seeing as how half the team (and coach/gm?) is gone by next summer, lets get some strong blood in here to see what they can do. Lance and Lin are turning heads. I'd drive up from Atlanta, where I've been in the solitary confinement of NBA enthusiasm for the past year, to see that show.

2 ROOKIE PG's
    -One is a 6-5 tank from the New York streets that has been "Borne Ready" since Jr. High
    -The other, asian Steve Nash from Harvard

By the way, in a world that decries stereotypes... That would be epic. Huge baller from New York, proclaimed greatness in tattoos, came into the limelight by way of Rucker Park. Asian-American who went to Harvard, plays stellar defense on J Wall (Who we all wanted), and slithers through defenses. 2 stereotype players.

Bring on the hate comments. I'm just pointing out what I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillman's 'Fro' View Post
    Anthem-

Since I was curious who those guys were down in Orlando who
    'couldn't get around' Stephenson, I did a little quick research.
    Here is the illustrious list of future, NBA, HOF'ers that Lance faced.

Jerome Randle, Curtis Stinson, Ben Uzoh and the one and only,
    Sundiata Gaines.
    Sure, that's fair. None of those guys is Chris Paul.

But there were several speedy little dudes there that had no trouble going around our other PG (whose name I've already forgotten). But somehow they didn't frequently go around Lance.

I'm not saying he's a first-team All-Defensive Team at PG. But he's not going to be a sieve either.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Uhhhh...no.
    count,
    I get why you WANT to say this, but w/ AJ's injury & our cap space/ self-imposed contract offers, I'm just not sure how you CAN say this?

-Do you see a trade before the start of the season?
    -If we do make a trade, is TJ involved, or are others (D.Jones, Solo)?
    -Do we get a servicable vet as a FA to a contract of our liking?
    -Do we cut AJ for a healthy option (rook FA, D-Leaguer, other)?
    -Any hope TJ works w/ JO'B better being that this is a "contract year" for him?

Love to hear your thoughts.
    Last edited by PacerGuy; 07-20-2010 at 11:51 AM.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

I'm still interested to see what Earl Watson's options are?

He can join Miami for the vet min? Be a back up, maybe eventual starter, but have a shot at a championship.

He can join the Pacers and be a starter.

Can anyone else offer him a starting position?

I guess he can go to other contenders than Miami and back up established guys like Rondo etc.

With all of the mediocre back up PG signings, I've lost track of what Earls options are? Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    count,
    I get why you WANT to say this, but w/ AJ's injury & our cap space/ self-imposed contract offers, I'm just not sure how you CAN say this?

-Do you see a trade before the start of the season?
    -If we do make a trade, is TJ involved, or are others (D.Jones, Solo)?
    -Do we get a servicable vet as a FA to a contract of our liking?
    -Do we cut AJ for a healthy option (rook FA, D-Leaguer, other)?
    -Any hope TJ works w/ JO'B better being that this is a "contract year" for him?

Love to hear your thoughts.
    The full question Speed asked was:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed

While everyone recognizes that playing TJ may end up being the final, unavoidable option in this, I find it almost impossible to believe that Bird & O'Brien are thinking, "Well, let's not worry about getting a vet PG, because maybe we'll be OK with Ford."

I guess you could argue that their actions have implicitly chosen the possibility of Ford over trades they didn't like or giving long term contracts to people they don't want long term or going over the luxury tax. However, that's pretty thin, and driven more by other issues than by any comfort associated with having Ford.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

I drink the Lance brand kool aid, but jebus. Lance is going to school TJ in practice? TJ is still lethal quick one-on-one, and Lance wasn't exactly known for his jets at Cincy. Mind you, he looked like he was in better shape during summer league and looked reasonably quick. Still, TJ is capable of abusing a lot of NBA caliber players.

That said, I get the vibe that TJ is in exile. We haven't got a point because they aren't any keepers available for for an expiring contract trade. And if you can't get a keeper, you wait for the musical chairs tune to wind down, and you nab a poor slob that lost out. This year's Watson.

The article sure wasn't written from the perspective of a coach with waning job security. "Hey Jim, how about playing the rookie second rounder that's new to the position? It's not about wins and losses. Those won't matter very much until... Uh, it comes to YOUR contract.".

Sports Logo

Default Re: Jeff Rabjohns on Lance Stephenson and the PG situation

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    The only issue with the stop gap...is if we'd end up with..

stop gap/Price

or stop gap/Ford

because if Price and Lance ended up on the bench with no minutes...
    Yeah...when it comes to JO'B...I have no clue what he will do.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    What is Lance doing right now?

Do they just do whatever they want until October? Or is there some kind of practice/drills/training thing going on at this juncture?
    Anyone. Anyone?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by danman View Post
    ...TJ is capable of abusing a lot of NBA caliber players.
    Despite his speed, TJ is probably the easiest guy to guard in the NBA right now in half court sets. All guys have to do is play off him, cheat behind the pick-and-roll, and force him to take long jumpers. If he somehow does manage to get past his man and into the lane, chances are pretty slim that he'll actually be able to finish at the rim.

Sadly the NBA has TJ figured out, and unless he discovers his stroke from outside, he's pretty much done I'm afraid.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bphil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    I've wondered this at times, too. I know AJ has shown remarkable, admirable resiliency in overcoming injuries/health issues in the past. However, at some point you have to look at just the sheer number of different health situation that have cropped up. Is this just another random injury or is it becoming more the norm/pattern?

I hope he overcomes it and is retained, but it's hard imagine TPTB not having discussed all angles vis a vis his roster spot. They seem very high on him overall, though, so hopefully that bodes well. Still, just from the PG roster and overall roster limit, he and Ford together provide a challenge - TJ because he's not particularly wanted (purportedly) and AJ because you have to think he won't be 100% until well into the season even assuming all goes well.
    I posted this in the thread about AJ's injury.

Apparently, a Patella break can happen the way AJ's did, because of a certain type of ACL reconstruction surgery. They use the patella tendon to repair the ACL, and a bit of the bone in the middle is taken out because of it. Sometimes (although it's kind of rare, but AJ's injuries are rare so...) the Patella splits in half later on in the person's life because of it.

I have to think that's the reason it happened. Because how else could you possible break your kneecap without touching it.

I'm not worried about Price. I don't think there's anything he needs to get back physically once he's healed. But As I said, I have to guess that there's going to be some mental issues he'll have to get over. But this is truly, baby stuff, compared to what he's been through before.

Honestly, I doubt they'd cut him. He's the only actual PG on the roster the FO likes, and they are rehabbing him here. Why would they waste the money and resources. Why not just cut him from the beginning? And regardless, it does not make your organization look good to players if you do that. (cut guys because they are injured)

Dunleavy's injury was going to take him much longer to adjust to, and the Pacers seemed to expect more out of him that was fair. IMO. Seems to me like this organization likes to think that a player's injury isn't as big of a deal as it is.

Either we'll get rid of Ford for a different PG option, trade Solo for a second round draft pick or something like that (or cut him), or we'll go into the season with what we have.
    Last edited by Sookie; 07-20-2010 at 01:53 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    Despite his speed, TJ is probably the easiest guy to guard in the NBA right now in half court sets. All guys have to do is play off him, cheat behind the pick-and-roll, and force him to take long jumpers. If he somehow does manage to get past his man and into the lane, chances are pretty slim that he'll actually be able to finish at the rim.

Sadly the NBA has TJ figured out, and unless he discovers his stroke from outside, he's pretty much done I'm afraid.
    Alternatively, sag off him, don't switch, and collapse on him in the paint. He'll zip right into trouble thinking that he's using his quickness to do the right thing... and then BAM! He's in the air and that's a turnover. In the unlikely event his stroke is "on", its still a pretty simple adjustment to neutralize him.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Lance is the man..

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

I'm not buying into the Lance Stephenson as an answer to the PG position as many around here are, but at this point starting him is absolutely the right thing to do. We are not going to be competitive either way. It is the same thing I was saying two years ago about McRoberts and last season about A.J. Price. When you are in our situation, you play your youth because there is no downside to it. If they work out, great. If they don't, that's fine to. At least you know one way or the other. If McRoberts would have gotten a chance two seasons ago, maybe we find out we don't need another PF before we draft Hansbrough and can take a PG so we don't have this current issue. Maybe we find out that we absolutely need another PF. Instead, we found out nothing and ended up with two similar players in one spot and no players in another.

Every available minute should go to the youth this season, just as it should have in the past two.

Lance and AJ should get all the point guard minutes.
    Granger, Rush, and George should get all the wing minutes.
    Hibbert, McRoberts, Hansbrough, and Rolle should get every big man minute.

Is it possible we'd win a few more games if we started Ford, Dunleavy, Granger, Murphy, and Foster than if we started Lance, Rush, Granger, McRoberts, and Hibbert?

I suppose (I'd bet against it), but not nearly enough to justify it.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

[QUOTE=Speed;1040109]

I'm worried that he learns to play the right way /QUOTE]

If the Pacers aren't having a coaching change, you indeed have a reason to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Anyone. Anyone?
    I'd have preferred if you had said:

Beuller? Beuller?

But the answer is that several players are working out at the field house nearly every day while others are here and there according to their whims. If you got by the practice court of the fieldhouse on any given day, you might see Josh there shooting. They can do conditioning and individual drills, but there can be no team activities until October. N' est ce pas?

Last edited by Putnam; 07-20-2010 at 05:03 PM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post

But the answer is that several players are working out at the field house nearly every day while others are here and there according to their whims. If you got by the practice court of the fieldhouse on any given day, you might see Josh there shooting. They can do conditioning and individual drills, but there can be no team activities until October. N' est ce pas?
    This is true. McRoberts is there nearly every day of the week. Hibbert is usually with him as well.

But I know, this week at least, all the rookies are joining Josh and Roy. George, Stephenson, and Rolle have all been working out with them in Indy this week.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigNdaPaint View Post

AJ Price is NOT looking forward to practices in late Nov or early Dec when he returns. Who would want to face a big and rough playing 6'5" PG in practice or games.

I'm sure AJ is looking forward to the matchup. I never saw anything from Price to make me believe he'd backdown from a larger player. My opinion is he can't wait to be able to go against Stephenson.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers4Life View Post
    ^^ I'm sorry... quicker? Does that even make sense to you? Bigger...stronger...QUICKER? I believe the first 2 and therefore not the quickness...

On to the topic at hand. Great article... Opens up some avenues for us to discuss... I do not start Lance just bcuz. I give him serious mins from the get-go and watch and see what happens. I think that was coveredn somewhere already
    You my friend must NOT have ever trained seriously. It's very easy to get 'quicker' while also getting bigger and stronger!!! Quicker in the sense that HANS will be more EXPLOSIVE in terms of his quick-twitch muscles. He'll jump higher and get off the ground quicker as well as run the court faster. He'll be a very good player this year if he stays healthy and can work on his NBA game. I think he'll be a quick study and with the right folks on the floor with him......his learning curve will be shorter. Go Pacers!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I'm sure AJ is looking forward to the matchup. I never saw anything from Price to make me believe he'd backdown from a larger player. My opinion is he can't wait to be able to go against Stephenson.
    Naw, of course, he won't back down and will take his punishment without any malice. But, I was talking in the sense that they are BOTH NYC products with AJ Price from Long Island and Lance Stephenson from Brooklyn. Also, AJ Price knows the short history of Lance Stephenson which includes his rough playing style from the streets and then playing with bigger guys, including OJ Mayo, most of his young life. What's interesting is that AJ Price is 6'2" and 190lbs and was born in Orange, NJ although he lived in East Massapequa, New York. He led his high school team to three straight Long Island Championships and state titles in his sophomore and junior seasons. Lance is 6'5" and 215lbs and was born in Brooklyn, New York City, in the Coney Island section. Stephenson won city basketball championships in all four years of high school, is New York State's all-time leading scorer in high school basketball. After his Senior year he was named New York State Mr. Basketball and was named to the McDonald's All-American Team in 2009 as many posters already know.
    Last edited by TooBigNdaPaint; 07-20-2010 at 05:46 PM.

Lance is 6'5" and 215lbs and was born in Brooklyn, New York City, in the Coney Island section.
    Coney Island, huh?

I already knew Lance was 6'5", but what I didn't find out until today is that he has a 6'11" wingspan
    i agree 1000% with the article.
    well i agree 1000000%

Can you count, suckers? I say, the future is ours... if you can count!

Last edited by Putnam; 07-20-2010 at 06:07 PM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)