Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why starting Stephenson at PG could be a smart move for the Pacers' future(indystar)

Default Re: Why starting Stephenson at PG could be a smart move for the Pacers' future(indystar)

I understand where Mike Wells is coming from, but you just add conflict by starting a rookie who's never played PG at the college or NBA level before over a veteran no matter how much you may not like him. You start Ford and let Stephenson back him up until Price comes back. And if you're able to work a trade somewhere along the line AND Stephenson has performed well to that point and Price is still out, you have to decide whether to allow him to continue being the BU/PG or start him until the new PG is ready to take charge.

But starting Stephenson just because he fits into current plans for the future...

Naw...he still needs to grow and develop his NBA game and learn the ropes. Give him minutes at BU/PG, but you don't start him...not now.

Default Re: Why starting Stephenson at PG could be a smart move for the Pacers' future(indystar)

Mike Wells didn't write this, Jeff Rabjohn did.

As LB already noticed, Lance plays a rough game (of the street) while on the court and will adjust to the NBA game more quickly than a passive player would (i.e. Brandon Rush). He's also a tenacious player on defense and brings leadership to the court. He also shoots a very smooth mid-range shot from the outside. I really don't see any weaknesses in his game other than game experience at PG. He also has on-court chemistry with McBob, George, and Rolle already. I don't see him taking much time getting the same chemistry with Hibbert, Murph, Rush, or whoever takes the court with him. He just has that innate ability and court savviness that belies his nickname: Born Ready....hence my icon of Lance Stephenson dunking over Marcus Cousins while playing around in practice.
    Last edited by TooBigNdaPaint; 07-19-2010 at 05:59 PM.

Banned

I wish we had another coach that we knew he was going to give a chance to Lance to play this year but as we know JOB is not going to play the rookies that much because "the veterans give us a better chance to win" so yeah we are all dreaming if we think that Lance is going to be the starter point guard this year.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 07-19-2010 at 09:28 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have a feeling we're done with roster changes.

Bird probably feels that Lance is the PG that he's been waiting for.

Hopefully that's the truth.

When I think of Lance as a PG, I think of Tyreke Evans instantly.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

I'd just get a low priced vet backup to go along with Ford and Stephenson for this year. I'm feeling more and more in favor of just drafting one of the hotshot rookie PGs next year. Stephenson should get time at backup PG and SG this year. AJ should be back in the mix in a few months. After he has recovered, AJ will probably start until we draft a starting caliber PG, hopefully Irving.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "If Stephenson is bad, Pacers fans celebrate, they're in the lottery and have a real chance at Irving, Selby or Knight and a ton of cap space."

I'm hearing a lot of applause from people, considering the writer is suggesting that starting him is a possible way to tank the season, getting a better draft pick, and that is apparently a very good thing.

Every year the tanking discussion comes up, and people who suggest tanking are blasted on this forum.

I guess I don't get it.
    There is a huge difference between playing the young players and tanking. Tanking is when you play to lose, or play short term players over long term players in order to lose. Playing young players who may or may not be part of the future of the team over players who won't be here the following season is building a team not tanking. The W-L results may be similar, but they are two different things.

"If Stephenson is bad, Pacers fans celebrate, they're in the lottery and have a real chance at Irving, Selby or Knight and a ton of cap space."

I'm hearing a lot of applause from people, considering the writer is suggesting that starting him is a possible way to tank the season, getting a better draft pick, and that is apparently a very good thing.

Every year the tanking discussion comes up, and people who suggest tanking are blasted on this forum.

I guess I don't get it.
    I'm as anti-tanking as you'll find. It's not really tanking, however, when you start an unproven guy over a veteran who's proven (multiple times) that he can't get the job done. It's only tanking if the guys on the bench are better than the guys on the court.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

10. The Following User Says Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:

I'd be fine with seeing LS start at PG from the word go because I
    don't really care how many games the Pacers win next season.

But, we probably oughta wait to see him play at least a few mins vs
    'a starting caliber, NBA PG' before annointing him as our savior at the
    position.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hillman's 'Fro' For This Useful Post:

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

I guess I don't get it.

I don't think anyone is saying that tanking is the goal but only that being in a position to draft our point guard is the worst that would happen.

I'm all for handing Lance the ball, however, next year doesn't have much in the way of free agency. Sessions would be a nice player to add.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

It'll be interesting to see how things go when TJ and Lance face off during training camp. Hopefully the Pacers will post some practice footy...

Mood

It's a win-win.

If Stephenson is good, Pacers fans celebrate, they found their point guard of the future and have a ton of cap space.

If Stephenson is bad, Pacers fans celebrate, they're in the lottery and have a real chance at Irving, Selby or Knight and a ton of cap space.

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    I have a feeling we're done with roster changes.

Bird probably feels that Lance is the PG that he's been waiting for.

Hopefully that's the truth.

When I think of Lance as a PG, I think of Tyreke Evans instantly.

Me, too!! We're ALL hoping Lance gets major minutes and works out as the PG. Even if it takes him 6 months, give him the minutes to develop. LB knows that he got a first round/lottery pick in Lance Stephenson in the 2nd Round. He'll make sure that JOB gives Lance and George major minutes or I AINT GONNA WATCH THE PACERS THIS YEAR. WHO IN THE HELL WANTS TO SEE DUN-DUN OR MURPH OR ONE-DIMENSIONAL FOSTER MOVING IN SLOW MOTION. We ALL want to see elite athletes playing NBA basketball for the Pacers this year. I want to see George, Lance, Hans, and Rolle get major minutes or I will definitely let LB and Morway know it with non-stop emails to PacersInsider@Pacer.com !!!!
    Last edited by TooBigNdaPaint; 07-19-2010 at 08:46 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TooBigNdaPaint For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    It'll be interesting to see how things go when TJ and Lance face off during training camp. Hopefully the Pacers will post some practice footy...
    Lance is gonna be putting out some HURT during practices. Ford is gonna get his little butt beat-on in practice and will play defense like he does in games.....just get outta the way when playing big PGs. Also, AJ Price is NOT looking forward to practices in late Nov or early Dec when he returns. Who would want to face a big and rough playing 6'5" PG in practice or games. I just hope that Hans doesn't hurt Lance in practice by accident. I hear that Hans is bigger and stronger and quicker. Man, I'm looking forward to this year.
    Last edited by TooBigNdaPaint; 07-19-2010 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Mike Wells didn't write this, Jeff Rabjohn did.
    And here I was about to say "Wow, that's one of the most insightful Wells piece I've read in a while."
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Pacers 4 Life.31 and only Pacers4Life's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

^^ I'm sorry... quicker? Does that even make sense to you? Bigger...stronger...QUICKER? I believe the first 2 and therefore not the quickness...

On to the topic at hand. Great article... Opens up some avenues for us to discuss... I do not start Lance just bcuz. I give him serious mins from the get-go and watch and see what happens. I think that was coveredn somewhere already
    Reggie Miller is a God. Period.

Passion. Pride. Pacers.

It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
    #31 & Only

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

What is Lance doing right now?

Do they just do whatever they want until October? Or is there some kind of practice/drills/training thing going on at this juncture?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigNdaPaint View Post
    Lance is gonna be putting out some HURT during practices. Ford is gonna get his little butt beat-on in practice and will play defense like he does in games.....just get outta the way when playing big PGs. Also, AJ Price is NOT looking forward to practices in late Nov or early Dec when he returns. Who would want to face a big and rough playing 6'5" PG in practice or games. I just hope that Hans doesn't hurt Lance in practice by accident. I hear that Hans is bigger and stronger and quicker. Man, I'm looking forward to this year.
    Price and Ford are probably going to steal the ball quite often, actually. As Lance's handles are good for a SG, but not that fantastic for a PG. They'll also probably be able to get around him pretty easy, as they are both quicker. This year, they'll actually probably have an easier time guarding him, than he will guarding them.

However, Lance should try and develope a post up game, as that would be benificial if he is playing the point, as he'd be able to post up PG's pretty easily (especially Price and Ford..who are decently scrawny.)
    Last edited by Sookie; 07-19-2010 at 09:54 PM.

Getting past Lance might not be as easy as some think.

I already knew Lance was 6'5", but what I didn't find out until today is that he has a 6'11" wingspan (that's the same as Paul George, folks).

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Jeff Rabjohns on Lance Stephenson and the PG situation

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    This is 100% where I am on this. I'm cool with giving Lance major minutes, but what I don't want is to not have someone around who he can learn from. Before you know it he could have developed certain in-game habbits that really could be tough to "unlearn" again.

A veteran PG for the minimum is what we should be able to get this summer. Maybe an Antonio Daniels, Kevin Ollie. That sort of players.
    and with what roster space are we going to sign someone with? is my math incorrect here, dont we have 15 on the roster as is.. unless were going to cut solo. everyone believes at this time the three rooks will be on the roster so how do we add any vets at this time.?

not seeing the pacers cutting salary on solo even at 1.5 mill

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

Well if Stephenson never does anything else he has certainly created a buzz at least on this board. No matter what you think of him most fans from this board will be tuning in to see what he is all about.

We already know that Murphy, Dunleavy & Ford are flat liners as far as fan interest goes. No one is going to be buying tickets to see if they can eke into the playoffs this year no matter how well they play.

If Stephenson can come out and show something I believe he is the type of player that can bring some casual fans back to the games to see what the buzz is all about. And lets face it that is something this team has seriously been lacking and needs more than anything right now.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larry Staverman For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I want him to get minutes, but I still maintain that I don't think he is a point guard, and think his future in the NBA is at shooting guard. That said, I'd rather see him manning the position than the likes of TJ Ford. Every time I read something about this guy I can't help but see the similarities between him and Tyreke Evans.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Getting past Lance might not be as easy as some think.
    I specifically watched for this in the summer league. The dude's got pretty good lateral quickness, and did a good job of staying in front of his man.

Yeah, it's summer league, but nobody was going around him.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I'm cautiously optimistic when it comes to Lance. Of course I'm hoping it'll work out between us and him, but at the same time, I am a little concerned about what could happen if he ended up becoming the player he can be. Would he let the attention get to his head, or would he be mature enough to handle it like a professional? Lord knows the Pacers don't need another Artest-like situation.