Thread: Interesting about Utah concealed carry

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Interesting about Utah concealed carry

I just found out something interesting (if it is true). Apparently you do not need to be a Utah resident to get a concealed carry, and they have reprocity with 16 states (including Florida and Virginia)

Default Re: Interesting about Utah concealed carry

I got no idea what you mean but please tell me more...

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GO!!!!! For This Useful Post:

A concaeled carry permit (a permit to carry a weapon concealed)

Normally, you have to be a resident of the state to get one. In Utah you do not, which I found very odd. All you need to do is pay the fee and take a safety class and you are good to go.

I was also surprised with how many states they had reprocity wi, but come to find out N.C. has reprocity w the most states.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Question: If you openly carry a pistol, do you have to have a license?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's a doozy.

Open carry is permitted in a handful of states, but a lot of places require that the gun be unloaded.

It's even crazier when you find out that a lot of those places define a loaded gun as any gun within a certain distance of ammunition.

So you can have an empty gun in your holster, an empty magazine in your back pocket and a handful of shells in your front pocket and you can be arrested for carrying a loaded weapon.

I always recommend the same thing: if you think you are going somewhere where you might need a gun for defense, take a shotgun. There's no issue with concealment and there's no misinterpreting the law with that thing. You're there to pulverize someone's internal organs and that's that.

If you need to carry a handgun from place to place, get two pelican cases with locks, one for the handguns and one for the clips/ammo and keep them in the trunk of your car. You will be legal in every corner of the country.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    That's a doozy.

Open carry is permitted in a handful of states, but a lot of places require that the gun be unloaded.

It's even crazier when you find out that a lot of those places define a loaded gun as any gun within a certain distance of ammunition.

So you can have an empty gun in your holster, an empty magazine in your back pocket and a handful of shells in your front pocket and you can be arrested for carrying a loaded weapon.

I always recommend the same thing: if you think you are going somewhere where you might need a gun for defense, take a shotgun. There's no issue with concealment and there's no misinterpreting the law with that thing. You're there to pulverize someone's internal organs and that's that.

If you need to carry a handgun from place to place, get two pelican cases with locks, one for the handguns and one for the clips/ammo and keep them in the trunk of your car. You will be legal in every corner of the country.
    Good advise, unless you are in law enforcement.

Then there are a million more rules (yay for more classes) and it seems like you get in more trouble when you break the rules. lol

Oh, and I thought I'd add: Glocks suck balls.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    A quick google search from VA (no pun intended):

Simply put, the state has sole authority over the creation of firearm laws and has invalidated all previous laws enacted by political entities at lower levels. Virginia currently does not have any law criminalizing open carry, thus OC is legal. You might find someone who would ask “What law allows you to open carry?” under the misguided assumption that laws create privileges. That person actually has things backwards, laws tell you what you cannot do and spell out criminal penalties for breaking said laws.
    http://vaguninfo.com/pages/opencarry.htm

12. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

As for Indiana"

http://opencarry.org/in.html

Summary
    Indiana is not a traditional open carry state. However, with an Indiana permit, open carry is legal.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Mood

My permit says"

"License to carry Handgun State of Indiana" "The licensee is hereby authorized by the Indiana State Police to carry on their person or in a vehicle, any handgun lawfully possessed by Licensee."

Note the "on their person" this does not discriminate open or concealed. I'll add too, Indiana does not require registration of handguns.

and yes, a shtogun is the best protection, esp for a home defense weapon. It does not have to be aimed, a person not absolutely familiar with a gun does not have to worry about whether they know what they are doing and the projectile does not travel thru every wall in a house before stopping. Shotgun pellets will flat take out a door or window and pretty much stop there. A bullet can pierce any number of layers of drywall and keep going...right into the kids bedroom.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

A concealed carry permit is absolutely impossible to get in Los Angeles, yet compact, concealable semi-autos represent the #1 gun sales bracket in the area. Figure that one out.

Mood

A concealed carry permit is absolutely impossible to get in Los Angeles, yet compact, concealable semi-autos represent the #1 gun sales bracket in the area. Figure that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Good advise, unless you are in law enforcement.

Then there are a million more rules (yay for more classes) and it seems like you get in more trouble when you break the rules. lol
    Depends on your branch of law enforcement, most likely. Federal Agents are required to carry when they fly on business, for instance, as the pistol must come with you, and you're never allowed to have it out of your sight and unsecured (i.e. Checked Bag).

Mood

I once applied for a renewal of my permit and coming down to the deadline it still had not arrived. I called the Firearms Division (Enforcement) and the lady I spoke with told me that if I was really concerned about my safety to the point of carrying a gun, then I should carry it and worry about the consequences after the fact.