Thread: Where should I move to?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Where should I move to?

Short backstory on me here: Born and raised in Evansville, went to college at IU, lived in Bloomington for a period after I graduated, moved to Houston for a bit, now back in Evansville. It appears that I am a very fickle person and change my mind very easily. Now I am looking to move again, and my choices are: Indianapolis, Bloomington, Chicago, Toledo, Pittsburgh. Anyone have any recommendations? Make a case for one of these cities, I need a fresh perspective.

Default Re: Where should I move to?

Indianapolis.

Tons of things to do.

Pacers, Colts, Indians, Ice, Fever games.

Very friendly people.

Plenty of fun bars, clubs, etc if that's your thing.

Suburbs are all nice.

Large City feel without being overwhelming.

That's all I got, but I've lived here my whole life and love it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Of your list I would stay as far away from Toledo as possible. Just very depressed economically and from what I have seen jsut not very nice.

Bloomington is nice but a lot smaller than than Indy, Pittsburgh or certainly Chicago. So you need to decide if you want a smaller town.

Chicago is very expensive, but it has so much to offer, but then the trafffic is horrible. You need to decide if you want a really big city and if you can afford to live there.

That leaves Pittsburgh and Indianapolis.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of your list I would stay as far away from Toledo as possible. Just very depressed economically and from what I have seen jsut not very nice.

Bloomington is nice but a lot smaller than than Indy, Pittsburgh or certainly Chicago. So you need to decide if you want a smaller town.

Chicago is very expensive, but it has so much to offer, but then the trafffic is horrible. You need to decide if you want a really big city and if you can afford to live there.

That leaves Pittsburgh and Indianapolis.
    Toledo is my least favorite of the actual cities, but (naturally), it's the best job opportunity of the bunch.

Bloomington holds a special place in my heart; I really love the city and it's close enough to Indy where I would probably pull a duke dynamite and buy Pacers season tickets.

Chicago has the minus of being really freaking big and really freaking cold. The $$$ is a concern there as well.

Pittsburgh I've never actually been to, but I've heard mixed reviews on the city. I mean, it's in the Rust Belt, and all those cities are a little depressing.

Indianapolis is probably my top choice. Lots of friends, lots to do, and I'm familiar with the city. Naturally, it is the shakiest job of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Toledo is my least favorite of the actual cities, but (naturally), it's the best job opportunity of the bunch.

Bloomington holds a special place in my heart; I really love the city and it's close enough to Indy where I would probably pull a duke dynamite and buy Pacers season tickets.

Chicago has the minus of being really freaking big and really freaking cold. The $$$ is a concern there as well.

Pittsburgh I've never actually been to, but I've heard mixed reviews on the city. I mean, it's in the Rust Belt, and all those cities are a little depressing.

Indianapolis is probably my top choice. Lots of friends, lots to do, and I'm familiar with the city. Naturally, it is the shakiest job of the bunch.

OK, I wondered why Toledo was on your list. Thought it was either a family situation or the best job.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll make a case for not living in Chicago:

a) Way too freaking cold from Octiber 15 to May 15.
    b) Crime. We're averaging 20 shootings per weekend, which is bound to go up considerably if the handgun rules change. Just don't go to the west side, period. And while the bad spots in the south side are not the same bad spots from 20 years ago, don't go there either.
    c) Bears fans/ Cubs fans - man they're obnoxious considering neither team has been good in decades.
    d) Very expensive place to live - especially when including all the extra taxes (see next point)
    e) Both political parties in Illinois are run by crooks. Its one thing to have sky-high taxes with investment in infrastructure, job creation, etc. to show for it. Here, the taxes are sky high, infrastructure is broken, unemployment is high and the government is broke so it needs to raise taxes again. I'm still not certain the state has paid the local school systems the money allotted to the schools for LAST school year. Its that bad.
    f) For an outdoors-y Southern Indiana boy, there are very few good state parks, reservoirs and get-away-from-it outdoor things to do within a several hour drive. Monroe and Patoka are two of the closest decent-size lakes for water skiing. Lake Shelbville, IL is about the same distance as Monroe.

Chicago continues to be a city in decline. I do not get why some people just love this city...

However, I disagree on the congestion issue. Mass transit is pretty good around here, and we enjoyed the benefits of only owning a single car for quite a while. Even though the CTA, Pace, and Metra have to reguarly raise fares, its still much cheaper and much faster than owning a car, driving it, and paying for parking.

Other benefits:

a) convenience of O'Hare. I can't remember the last time I had to make a connecting flight to anywhere other than St. John/ Jamaica. Everything other than the Carribean is a direct flight.

b) good quality jobs (but probably not enough quantity of the good jobs to go around to everybody)

At one point in time, we planned to stay here until my daughter graduated from high school (but not a moment longer). Even though I generally hate it here, except for June, July and August. But even my wife is talking about moving occasionally so we may not make it that long.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Pittsburgh has really remade itself in the last 15/20 years. They've created a lot of jobs in the medical, technology, and banking sectors, and I don't mean call-center types of jobs either.

Its not really the center of the rust-belt anymore.

Having said that, everyone knows I'm a Steelers fans and I can't think of a reason we would ever move there.

Of your list, Indianapolis or Bloomington would be my top choices if you can find a good job in either of those places. Unfortunately for me, the type of consulting I do tends to be highly correlated to the major financial centers (NYC, Chicago, London). For us, Boston, San Francisco and Tokyo would be "satellite offices." so those are even less appealing.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

The Netherlands, naturally . Why isn't it on your list?

2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Let me pass along a little bit of advise that I was given when I finished business school...

Don't just think about the current job offer. What if it doesn't work out for whatever reason? Are there other jobs in the area that appeal to you?

I had a friend move to Dayton Ohio after business school, and the job sounded much better before he took it than it really was. And then he was stuck in Dayton. He eventually took a risk of moving to Atlanta without a job and in a short period of time had a good job with a highly-regarded firm down there.

I'd be leery of Toledo, because I doubt there is much of a Plan B for you or anyone there.

Best of luck on your decision.

woman without a team

Me personally, I'd go where the best job is, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    Me personally, I'd go where the best job is, but that's just me.
    That is exactly what I did.

But it helped my parents said I could have 12 months with them, rent free......