Thread: 2011 NBA Draft

Default 2011 NBA Draft

Everybody knew last summer that Wall was probably going to be the #1 pick this year. I have not heard about anyone for next year. Could someone out there enlighten me on the top college prospects out there and if there is a clear cut #1 going into the college year? Thanks!

IndyHoosier

Default Re: 2011 NBA Draft

Harrison Barnes seems to be the top prospect.

View the 2011 Mock Draft here

Click on the players profiles to read scouts opinions of them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I will do that, appreciate the link

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

With the the likely impending lockout, I imagine it may highly affect who comes out for the draft. It might just end up being the worst draft ever.
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

loaded full of top point guard prospects. Selby, Knight, and Irving will all be top 10 picks. Tyshawn Taylor would be a top pick if he rebounds from this years. Harrison Barnes will be the top small forward for next year. There is certainly potential barring the previously mentioned lockout

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by tadscout View Post
    With the the likely impending lockout, I imagine it may highly affect who comes out for the draft. It might just end up being the worst draft ever.
    With the 1st Pick in the 2011 NBA Draft, the Detroit Pistons select......

Matt Howard, Butler University.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by themayhem87 View Post
    loaded full of top point guard prospects. Selby, Knight, and Irving will all be top 10 picks. Tyshawn Taylor would be a top pick if he rebounds from this years. Harrison Barnes will be the top small forward for next year. There is certainly potential barring the previously mentioned lockout
    Maybe even more reason to just sign one or two veteran PG's to the minimum or close to it, instead of trading for one this summer.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    Maybe even more reason to just sign one or two veteran PG's to the minimum or close to it, instead of trading for one this summer.
    I wouldn't be trying to get a lottery pick when you have no idea if any top underclassmen will even come out... why would they come out to be drafted and sit out a season when they can play another year of college ball?
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tadscout For This Useful Post:

Idk much about him aside from watching a few highlight vids, but Kyrie Irving is a SWEET name and I'd love to see that on a blue n gold jersey :P
    follow me @KeifDye - lets talk Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    Idk much about him aside from watching a few highlight vids, but Kyrie Irving is a SWEET name and I'd love to see that on a blue n gold jersey :P

That video is amazing. Granted, everyone looks good in a highlight video, but he sure can play some ball.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Irving is the purest PG of that bunch. Knight, though he has a scorer's
    mentality, is next. Selby reminds me some of Iverson.

On a side note, if Doc Rivers' kid, Austin, heads to Duke and both he
    and Irving stick around a couple years each, Coach K is gonna have
    a hell of a backcourt duo.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hillman's 'Fro' For This Useful Post:

Really, we are already talking about the 2011 draft. God help me

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tadscout View Post
    I wouldn't be trying to get a lottery pick when you have no idea if any top underclassmen will even come out... why would they come out to be drafted and sit out a season when they can play another year of college ball?
    Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    It's early, absolutely, but no one is forcing you to think or read about it .
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's kind of what I was thinking. But, it's a slow summer and it looks like another long season ahead, so, why not?

--pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Mood

Do the CBA negotiations start after the draft? I assume they do,as it wouldn't make too much sense any other way.

I could see it persuading a lot of talent to jump into the draft that would otherwise stay in college longer. The new CBA will affect salaries,presumably rookie and veteran alike.

It has the potential to be a loaded draft.
    Pacers,baby!

Mood

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-coll...od_ncb_xxx_xxx

My top 30 college prospects for 2011
    July, 7, 2010
    JUL 7
    1:14
    PM ET
    EmailPrintComments
    By Doug Gottlieb
    Players get hurt. Players improve. Players just aren't as good as advertised. A lot can happen in a year. But if I were an NBA player personnel director looking ahead to the best college prospects for the 2011 draft, the following list would be my starting point …
    1. Enes Kanter, Kentucky: A tough big man who seems to rise to the challenge of elite competition, Kanter should not be a Turkish ball of hype like Deniz Kilicli was last year for West Virginia. Whether he plays is up to the NCAA (two Pac-10 assistants told me they felt he would have major amateurism issues because of his club experience in Turkey), but playing or sitting will have little effect on his draft status. He's legit.

2. Harrison Barnes, North Carolina: A uniquely skilled and intelligent prospect who has a bit of Kobe to his game. One question remains: Does he have the killer instinct to be great? With no baggage, a wide array of skills and an unfazed demeanor, Barnes could move up or down based on how he plays late in games in March.

3. John Henson, North Carolina: He will be the textbook example of the benefits of at least two years in college. Henson looked totally lost much of last season until the light started to come on late. He is at least 6-foot-9 and very long, and if he can find a position (probably best as a face-up 4 in college), he should explode this season.

4. Perry Jones, Baylor: Long and thin and really skilled, Jones is a KG type -- a face-up 4 man who would rather handle and shoot than score down low. He must continue to work on his body size, but his skill level is very advanced, especially as big as he measures out.

[+] Enlarge
    Jason O. Watson/US Presswire
    Klay Thompson averaged 20 points a game last season, but will he able to turn around the Cougars?
    5. Klay Thompson, Washington State: Next year's Evan Turner with a jump shot. Thompson shoots it way better than Turner and handles it just as well. Although he is far less well known to many college hoop fans (despite being the son of former No. 1 pick Mychal Thompson), scouts only need to see "Turner-like" toughness and wins to totally buy in. Thompson was punked by physical teams (e.g., Kansas State) last season, but, like Turner, he makes everyone else better and can play two or three positions.

6. Kyrie Irving, Duke: A slashing, scoring, dime-dropping chip off the Jay Williams block, Irving will give the Blue Devils their first athletically elite point guard in a long while. Those Duke fans who wonder what could've been had Shaun Livingston not skipped college to go pro finally have their man.

7. Renardo Sidney, Mississippi State: Thick? Yes. Prone to shoots 3s like Tiny Gallon? Sure. But talent to be an NBA All-Star? I think so. Sidney has paid his penance and likely improved by going against Jarvis Varnado in practice last season. If he will buy into dominating down low and keeping his weight right, he should have a big year.

8. Brandon Knight, Kentucky: Might be a bit too much of a tweener for scouts to love, but with Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans and John Wall as predecessors and a dominant pull-up game to boot, scouts should dismiss his lack of true point guard skills and focus on his out-and-out scoring ability.

9. Kyle Singler, Duke: Singler is a ferocious competitor and tremendous shooter all over the floor. With another year on the wing under his belt, he should be the most refined prospect in the 2011 draft.

10. Marcus Morris, Kansas: A double-double machine who can also shoot it, Morris is among the most underrated players coming back to school. He'll have a big season for the Jayhawks.

11. Josh Selby, Kansas: An undersized 2 who will play some point, Selby is a another hybrid guard who must show he can run a team. But he is a very talented scorer who can and will guard, as well.

12. Kenneth Faried, Morehead State: An old-school starting NBA power forward type, Faried has averaged 13 rebounds each of the past two seasons. He is active, can score, can board, and can defend and block shots.

13. Terrence Jones, Kentucky: There was a reason Washington fans were so crushed to lose Jones to John Calipari and UK. He is a 6-8 man among boys who loves to handle the ball like a point forward. Jones is a dynamic personality who might be even more successful at the NBA level with his vast array of overall skills.

14. C.J. Leslie, NC State: Leslie remained in his hometown of Raleigh and is ready to get Sidney Lowe a contract extension. The incoming freshman has some of the skills of Barnes, though he's not as good a passer.

15. Elias Harris, Gonzaga: Had zero interest in going pro this year, but scouts love him. Harris will need better point guard play as Demetri Goodson's man was in his lap all of last season.

16. Trey Thompkins, Georgia: A legit 6-9 or 6-10, 250 pounds, Thompson is a prototype 4 for the NBA level. He has to take better shots and handle the ball better, but his upside is sizable.

17. Jared Sullinger, Ohio State: A wide body who is skilled like an NBA vet. Although he should have a very good year in Columbus, his NBA value will come down to how big he really is (my guess is 6-7), how long his arms are, how much lift he has, and his ability to face up and hit a 15-footer. Look for Sullinger to be really productive, but a bit of an acquired taste at the top of the draft.

18. Kris Joseph, Syracuse: Big and a very good driver, Joseph must develop into a better shooter. But as a 2-3 mix, Joseph is a dynamic rebounder who can handle and score.

[+] Enlarge
    AP Photo/Al Behrman
    High-flying Chris Wright led Dayton in scoring, rebounding and blocks last season.
    19. Chris Wright, Dayton: An explosive athlete who continues to try to play on the wing, Wright is of the Damion James, Desmond Mason and Sam Young variety of college 4s who have to play on the perimeter to play in the league. Wright plays very hard at both ends and is a nasty rebounder and dunker.

20. Tyler Zeller, North Carolina: The tallest Tar Heel and one of the fastest, Zeller needs to stay healthy and improve his game on offense. But his speed, length and hands give him great upside.

21. Charles Jenkins, Hofstra: A bit undersized for an NBA 2, but bigger than Brandon Knight and Kenny Boynton at about 6-2 or 6-3. Jenkins is built like a truck, is tremendous off the bounce and loves contact in the lane. He needs to continue to improve his deep jump shot, but he should be the Dominique Jones of the 2011 draft.

22. Travis Leslie, Georgia: The new human highlight film, Leslie is coming to your town to put you on a poster. He is also a decent ball handler and shooter who can get his own shot. He just has to make more of them.

23. Mason Plumlee, Duke: A big, strong physical specimen who can really get off the floor, Plumlee and brother Miles give the Devils the athleticism they sorely need inside. Losing Brian Zoubek hurts, but Mason's continued improvement will make up for it.

24. Robbie Hummel, Purdue: Although he is coming off an ACL injury and although the Big Ten has been essentially ignored in recent drafts, Hummel is still a good bet to be a solid pro. He can handle and pass, and although his release is funky, it is quick and usually works.

25. Ravern Johnson, Mississippi State: Built like a pogo stick and jumps like one, too, Johnson is a freak athlete who can score from the wing. It was wise of him to come back to school, however. Another year of seasoning will do him well.

26. Derrick Williams, Arizona: The one truly bright spot in Sean Miller's first year, Williams is a skilled 6-7/6-8 face-up 4 who is a rare combination of talent and toughness.

27. Kenny Boynton, Florida: Struggled with his jumper all season until the last couple of weeks, Boynton is an undersized 2 who could go either way on a draft board. When he gets it rolling, you might think he is a Ben Gordon type, but he was far too slight and inconsistent last season for us to say for sure what he is.

28. Jimmer Fredette, BYU: With Michael Loyd Jr. gone, expect Fredette to play more at the point in an effort to show his NBA viability. Before you think "undrafted Scottie Reynolds," remember that he is bigger and stronger and frankly, far more explosive a scorer.

29. Tristan Thompson, Texas: Two years ago, he was one hell of a prospect out of his native Canada. After some reported attitude problems and stops at two basketball powerhouses, Thompson has slipped some and might have added too much bulk. On the other hand, he is smart, quiet, and a winner with the ability to play inside and out in a Lamar Odom sort of way. If he can wrest the ball from Jordan Hamilton every now and again, Thompson should thrive in Austin.

30. Cameron Clark, Oklahoma: Silky smooth wing who has a nice midrange game. As an incoming freshman, the Texan will have a huge load to carry for the revamped Sooners. But based on his talent and makeup, Clark can do it.

Sleeper

Dante Taylor, Pittsburgh: Taylor is coming off a weak freshman showing after being the first McDonald's All-American to sign with Pitt in nearly 20 years. But he has the body and is in a program that consistently produces big men who improve by leaps and bounds. He should've been better last season, but Taylor should dominate a very young, yet talented group of Big East big men this season.

Doug Gottlieb is an ESPN.com contributor and hosts "The Doug Gottlieb Show," which airs weekdays from 4 to 7 p.m. ET on ESPN Radio and ESPNradio.com. You can e-mail him at douggottlieb@espnradio.com.
    Last edited by Really?; 07-15-2010 at 01:48 PM. Reason: added link

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    Or not sign anyone

Mood

You don't have to talk about it, I personally love talking about drafts whether it is discussing players potential or what team they would fit with. I love young talent and think for most organizations it is the only way they will get better... aka Pacers

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-coll...od_ncb_xxx_xxx

My top 30 college prospects for 2011
    July, 7, 2010
    JUL 7
    1:14
    PM ET
    EmailPrintComments
    By Doug Gottlieb
    Players get hurt. Players improve. Players just aren't as good as advertised. A lot can happen in a year. But if I were an NBA player personnel director looking ahead to the best college prospects for the 2011 draft, the following list would be my starting point
    1. Enes Kanter, Kentucky: A tough big man who seems to rise to the challenge of elite competition, Kanter should not be a Turkish ball of hype like Deniz Kilicli was last year for West Virginia. Whether he plays is up to the NCAA (two Pac-10 assistants told me they felt he would have major amateurism issues because of his club experience in Turkey), but playing or sitting will have little effect on his draft status. He's legit.

2. Harrison Barnes, North Carolina: A uniquely skilled and intelligent prospect who has a bit of Kobe to his game. One question remains: Does he have the killer instinct to be great? With no baggage, a wide array of skills and an unfazed demeanor, Barnes could move up or down based on how he plays late in games in March.

3. John Henson, North Carolina: He will be the textbook example of the benefits of at least two years in college. Henson looked totally lost much of last season until the light started to come on late. He is at least 6-foot-9 and very long, and if he can find a position (probably best as a face-up 4 in college), he should explode this season.

4. Perry Jones, Baylor: Long and thin and really skilled, Jones is a KG type -- a face-up 4 man who would rather handle and shoot than score down low. He must continue to work on his body size, but his skill level is very advanced, especially as big as he measures out.

[+] Enlarge
    Jason O. Watson/US Presswire
    Klay Thompson averaged 20 points a game last season, but will he able to turn around the Cougars?
    5. Klay Thompson, Washington State: Next year's Evan Turner with a jump shot. Thompson shoots it way better than Turner and handles it just as well. Although he is far less well known to many college hoop fans (despite being the son of former No. 1 pick Mychal Thompson), scouts only need to see "Turner-like" toughness and wins to totally buy in. Thompson was punked by physical teams (e.g., Kansas State) last season, but, like Turner, he makes everyone else better and can play two or three positions.

6. Kyrie Irving, Duke: A slashing, scoring, dime-dropping chip off the Jay Williams block, Irving will give the Blue Devils their first athletically elite point guard in a long while. Those Duke fans who wonder what could've been had Shaun Livingston not skipped college to go pro finally have their man.

7. Renardo Sidney, Mississippi State: Thick? Yes. Prone to shoots 3s like Tiny Gallon? Sure. But talent to be an NBA All-Star? I think so. Sidney has paid his penance and likely improved by going against Jarvis Varnado in practice last season. If he will buy into dominating down low and keeping his weight right, he should have a big year.

8. Brandon Knight, Kentucky: Might be a bit too much of a tweener for scouts to love, but with Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans and John Wall as predecessors and a dominant pull-up game to boot, scouts should dismiss his lack of true point guard skills and focus on his out-and-out scoring ability.

9. Kyle Singler, Duke: Singler is a ferocious competitor and tremendous shooter all over the floor. With another year on the wing under his belt, he should be the most refined prospect in the 2011 draft.

10. Marcus Morris, Kansas: A double-double machine who can also shoot it, Morris is among the most underrated players coming back to school. He'll have a big season for the Jayhawks.

11. Josh Selby, Kansas: An undersized 2 who will play some point, Selby is a another hybrid guard who must show he can run a team. But he is a very talented scorer who can and will guard, as well.

12. Kenneth Faried, Morehead State: An old-school starting NBA power forward type, Faried has averaged 13 rebounds each of the past two seasons. He is active, can score, can board, and can defend and block shots.

13. Terrence Jones, Kentucky: There was a reason Washington fans were so crushed to lose Jones to John Calipari and UK. He is a 6-8 man among boys who loves to handle the ball like a point forward. Jones is a dynamic personality who might be even more successful at the NBA level with his vast array of overall skills.

14. C.J. Leslie, NC State: Leslie remained in his hometown of Raleigh and is ready to get Sidney Lowe a contract extension. The incoming freshman has some of the skills of Barnes, though he's not as good a passer.

15. Elias Harris, Gonzaga: Had zero interest in going pro this year, but scouts love him. Harris will need better point guard play as Demetri Goodson's man was in his lap all of last season.

16. Trey Thompkins, Georgia: A legit 6-9 or 6-10, 250 pounds, Thompson is a prototype 4 for the NBA level. He has to take better shots and handle the ball better, but his upside is sizable.

17. Jared Sullinger, Ohio State: A wide body who is skilled like an NBA vet. Although he should have a very good year in Columbus, his NBA value will come down to how big he really is (my guess is 6-7), how long his arms are, how much lift he has, and his ability to face up and hit a 15-footer. Look for Sullinger to be really productive, but a bit of an acquired taste at the top of the draft.

18. Kris Joseph, Syracuse: Big and a very good driver, Joseph must develop into a better shooter. But as a 2-3 mix, Joseph is a dynamic rebounder who can handle and score.

[+] Enlarge
    AP Photo/Al Behrman
    High-flying Chris Wright led Dayton in scoring, rebounding and blocks last season.
    19. Chris Wright, Dayton: An explosive athlete who continues to try to play on the wing, Wright is of the Damion James, Desmond Mason and Sam Young variety of college 4s who have to play on the perimeter to play in the league. Wright plays very hard at both ends and is a nasty rebounder and dunker.

20. Tyler Zeller, North Carolina: The tallest Tar Heel and one of the fastest, Zeller needs to stay healthy and improve his game on offense. But his speed, length and hands give him great upside.

21. Charles Jenkins, Hofstra: A bit undersized for an NBA 2, but bigger than Brandon Knight and Kenny Boynton at about 6-2 or 6-3. Jenkins is built like a truck, is tremendous off the bounce and loves contact in the lane. He needs to continue to improve his deep jump shot, but he should be the Dominique Jones of the 2011 draft.

22. Travis Leslie, Georgia: The new human highlight film, Leslie is coming to your town to put you on a poster. He is also a decent ball handler and shooter who can get his own shot. He just has to make more of them.

23. Mason Plumlee, Duke: A big, strong physical specimen who can really get off the floor, Plumlee and brother Miles give the Devils the athleticism they sorely need inside. Losing Brian Zoubek hurts, but Mason's continued improvement will make up for it.

24. Robbie Hummel, Purdue: Although he is coming off an ACL injury and although the Big Ten has been essentially ignored in recent drafts, Hummel is still a good bet to be a solid pro. He can handle and pass, and although his release is funky, it is quick and usually works.

25. Ravern Johnson, Mississippi State: Built like a pogo stick and jumps like one, too, Johnson is a freak athlete who can score from the wing. It was wise of him to come back to school, however. Another year of seasoning will do him well.

26. Derrick Williams, Arizona: The one truly bright spot in Sean Miller's first year, Williams is a skilled 6-7/6-8 face-up 4 who is a rare combination of talent and toughness.

27. Kenny Boynton, Florida: Struggled with his jumper all season until the last couple of weeks, Boynton is an undersized 2 who could go either way on a draft board. When he gets it rolling, you might think he is a Ben Gordon type, but he was far too slight and inconsistent last season for us to say for sure what he is.

28. Jimmer Fredette, BYU: With Michael Loyd Jr. gone, expect Fredette to play more at the point in an effort to show his NBA viability. Before you think "undrafted Scottie Reynolds," remember that he is bigger and stronger and frankly, far more explosive a scorer.

29. Tristan Thompson, Texas: Two years ago, he was one hell of a prospect out of his native Canada. After some reported attitude problems and stops at two basketball powerhouses, Thompson has slipped some and might have added too much bulk. On the other hand, he is smart, quiet, and a winner with the ability to play inside and out in a Lamar Odom sort of way. If he can wrest the ball from Jordan Hamilton every now and again, Thompson should thrive in Austin.

30. Cameron Clark, Oklahoma: Silky smooth wing who has a nice midrange game. As an incoming freshman, the Texan will have a huge load to carry for the revamped Sooners. But based on his talent and makeup, Clark can do it.

Sleeper

Dante Taylor, Pittsburgh: Taylor is coming off a weak freshman showing after being the first McDonald's All-American to sign with Pitt in nearly 20 years. But he has the body and is in a program that consistently produces big men who improve by leaps and bounds. He should've been better last season, but Taylor should dominate a very young, yet talented group of Big East big men this season.

Doug Gottlieb is an ESPN.com contributor and hosts "The Doug Gottlieb Show," which airs weekdays from 4 to 7 p.m. ET on ESPN Radio and ESPNradio.com. You can e-mail him at douggottlieb@espnradio.com.
    I'm betting by the middle of next season Maurice Creek will be near the top of that list.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I'm betting by the middle of next season Maurice Creek will be near the top of that list.
    I hope your pipedream comes true because that means my Hoosiers got a chance to show some improvement this year! Plus, we will have the yearly "will Bird draft the in state kid?" discussion about Creek & Hummel. And the IU/Purdue rivalry will return!!!

IndyHoosier-

Re Creek, I think that's better spelled 'PIPEDREAM'. And I say
    that as a diehard IU hoops fan.

I've had a man crush on Perry Jones for a while. MON-STER.

Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge24 View Post

I always felt Vesely was a more interesting prospect that Motiejunas and the way he played at the end of the season, especially at the EL F4, strengthened that feeling. Weird to still seem him placed below Motiejunas and even Kanter.