Thread: Problem with Knicks and Dampier?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Problem with Knicks and Dampier?

Looks like most of the MLE has been given to Vin Baker.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1853252

ESPN.com news services
    Erick Dampier may be willing to take the Knicks' $4.9 million mid-level exception ... but is it already gone?

Vin Baker's agent, Aaron Goodwin, told ESPN Insider Chad Ford on Thursday that Baker already has agreed to a multiyear contract with the Knicks that starts at $3.5 million -- eating most of New York's mid-level exception.

"Vin is done," Goodwin told Ford. "The [Knicks] mid-level is gone. ... Vin [contract] starts at $3.5 [million], which negates Dampier for mid-level."

While there had been previous rumblings about the Knicks' interest in re-signing Baker, talk of the team using part of its larger exception to get him comes as a surprise. There had been previous suggestions that Baker might take the Knicks $1.6 million veteran's exception instead. Thursday's The Journal News (Westchester/Putnam counties, NY) reported that a source confirmed that the Knicks had used the smaller exception to keep Baker for this season, with a team option for a second year.

Goodwin, however, dismissed that scenario as an option.

"I would never take $1.6 million for Vin. That is not negotiating, it is accepting, which I never have or will do without a fight," he told Ford.

The Knicks have yet to officially announce a deal with Baker. A phone call to the team for comment wasn't returned.

If the deal with Baker is done, the Knicks may be out of luck with Dampier. Repeated attempts to work out a sign-and-trade with the Warriors for Dampier have fallen short, with Golden State GM Chris Mullin having rejected two sign-and-trade offers that included Nazr Mohammed and Kurt Thomas.

Without the mid-level or a sign-and-trade, the Knicks have no way of adding Dampier. Dampier has also been talking to the Hawks and has reportedly been offered a six-year, $50 million dollar contract for them. However, he's been reluctant to join a team that is rebuilding.

Dampier, who averaged 12.3 points and 12.0 rebounds a game last season for the Warriors, visited the Knicks on Wednesday and suggested that he was looking more for a chance to play for a contender than for a big contract.

"You get to a certain point in your life where the money's not a factor and you just want to win," Dampier told The Associated Press. "I'm not getting any younger and I want to be in the playoffs so I have a chance to compete for a championship."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Default Re: Problem with Knicks and Dampier?

Old news. Isiah came out on Friday and said he hasn't spent any of the MLE, and he intends to attempt to get both Baker and Dampier. The implication being that he's gonna hold off on Vin, and if he get Dampier, he'll offer the vet exception (which is all he's worth, if that.)
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

If Isiah has a chance to get Dampier with the MLE and blows it on Baker I'll, uh, I won't say it because someone will probably DO it and pin it on me.

Though I should cut him some slack after the Crawford deal.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why don't you just say " I'll become a Pacer fan instead"???
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why don't you just say " I'll become a Pacer fan instead"???
    Well, I was gonna say I'd see what Vin's favorite NYC hangout is and try to invest in it. Figure a min 20% sales jump.

The poster formerly known as Rimfire