Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Star> Pacers' work in free agency just beginning

Default Star> Pacers' work in free agency just beginning

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...just-beginning

Pacers' work in free agency just beginning
    By Mike Wells
    Posted: July 10, 2010

The dust has settled. The free agent heavyweights have committed to their next destination.

Now it's time for the other teams to try to improve their rosters.
    That's the Indiana Pacers' mind-set at least.

Pacers president Larry Bird expected the free agent landscape to level out once LeBron James and the other top stars decided where they would play next season.

"We're moving along in the process of looking at what we want to do," Pacers general manager David Morway said. "We're going to take a careful approach to see where the market is going to fall out, and then we'll start to make decisions."

The Pacers' objective has not changed during the past three months. The team will continue its search for a point guard.

The good news for the Pacers is the luxury tax came in higher -- $70.3 million -- than expected. The bad news is that they are still financially strapped.
    The Pacers are about $2.6 million under the luxury tax, with part of that money headed to second-round picks Lance Stephenson and Magnum Rolle, who both impressed the team during summer league play.

Teams pay a dollar-for-dollar tax when they exceed the luxury tax.

The Pacers aren't in the financial or competitive position to go over that threshold. Team officials have been steadfast they will not exceed the tax.

It will take some financial maneuvering if the Pacers expect to use much of their $5.76 million mid-level exception. They would have to shed some salaries through trades.

"We're certainly going to look to use part or all of the mid-level exception, but we have not finalized what direction we're going to go right now," Morway said.

Buying out the final year of point guard T.J. Ford's contract isn't an option at the moment. The Pacers will continue to try to trade him.

The Pacers have talked to free agent point guards Jordan Farmar and Kyle Lowry, but it appears the team's best option -- at the moment at least -- is to go back to the teams they talked to before the draft and try to work out a trade.

Bird said draft night that the Pacers talked to almost every team in the league about possible trades.

Their goal is to acquire a veteran point guard who has no problem giving up the ball and can shoot well from the perimeter.

The Pacers continue to dangle their expiring contracts in front of teams in an attempt to find that player.

What has changed, though, is they no longer desire two point guards.
    Stephenson's play in summer league helped change Pacers officials' minds. The former University of Cincinnati player shot 73 percent from the field and averaged 14.8 points and 1.5 assists in Orlando, Fla., this week.

A.J. Price is doing well in his rehabilitation from knee surgery and could be ready to return at some point during training camp in October.

"We don't feel the pressure to have to do something unless it's a move that makes sense long term for the franchise," Morway said. "Having said that, I feel we're going to have a lot of options available to us similar to the draft process.

"I'm confident that if at the end of the day we want to make a move, it's going to be available to us to do that."
    -----------------------------------------------------

Nothing much new here. Putting it together it's obvious the Pacers would like to trade TJ Ford and his expiring contract for a vet point guard who has no trouble giving up the ball and can shoot. Then they would have Price and Stephenson as back up point guards. Plus Rolle WILL get a contract. (Some forum members expressed doubt.)
    Last edited by Will Galen; 07-10-2010 at 06:39 AM.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Default Re: Star> Pacers' work in free agency just beginning

I still see Charlotte (D.J. Augustin) as one of the most likely teams we would try work out a trade with, though only ending up with one PG (Ford is rather shallow for them aswell).

Kahn if he hadn't made those silly comments the Timberwolves (Sessions) could have been a very likely trade partnert aswell, maybe he still is. It's not professional to let personal preferences or issues with other GM's influence your potential trade policy, but I guess they are human too, still...

Memphis (Conley) maybe as an outsider. They might be looking to shed some salary next year after signing Gay to that $81mln deal.
    Last edited by Mourning; 07-10-2010 at 08:37 AM.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Sports Logo

I think that Felton's signing increases the chance that we revisit Ford to Charlotte. The question then becomes what we'd get back in return. Given our logjam in the front court, I don't see the need to take back Nazr unless we send them Solo and expect Foster to retire.
    DJ could be thrown in, but who fills out that trade?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

As I said in the PG thread, this clarifies Wells' tweet:

What has changed, though, is they no longer desire two point guards.
    The Pacers had been looking to add 2 PG's (which speaks loudly about their thoughts on Price's injury), but now are comfortable with adding a vet, and using Stephenson as a backup.

Their descriptions seems to best fit Farmar.

Separately - Shamsports shows George's salary at $2,239, which is the 120% number. I am more inclined to believe Sham than the Indy Star report, so that shaves about $400k off the available space that I had been using in other posts, specifically the one in the Summer League thread where I justified Magnum PF's signing.

Their current salary, per Sham, is $67,956, leaving them $2,388 below the tax. I would estimate that the two second rounders will cost them a minimum of $950, and a max of perhaps $1,200, leaving them basically minimum money. Any practical FA signing will put them over the tax, and leave them needing to shed salary.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

Maybe we do a three way trade with Charlotte and some else.

Sports Logo

Sign and trade Farmar for Dahntay Jones? I know the Lakers were looking at Raja Bell and Matt Barnes, Dahntay could fit that role. Only problem is, he isn't half the three point shooter that those two are and that might be a problem for LA. Also, I'm not sure if he and Kobe are on the best of terms ...

Is a Mo Williams - T.J. Ford swap at all feasible, or desireable for that matter?

I should have read this before I posted in another thread. Bird wants a veteran PG. Some people are suggested DJ Augustin...how exactly is he a veteran? I'm not a fan of Augustin at all.

I'm not sure what's going to happen, but hopefully some rumors start coming up, cause I'm ready for the final roster to be set. So many moves have already been made, so I'm just antsy that the Pacers haven't done anything yet.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is a Mo Williams - T.J. Ford swap at all feasible, or desireable for that matter?
    NO!
    I'd rather "give away" TJ/Murph/Solo to a team under the cap & use that $ to sigh a stop-gap FA then get tied down to MO. Mo is NOT what we want, in a player or a contract.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

If a team has a trade exception, do they have to use it all at once, or can they use part of it in one trade and part in another?

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post

Kahn if he hadn't made those silly comments the Timberwolves (Sessions) could have been a very likely trade partnert aswell, maybe he still is. It's not professional to let personal preferences or issues with other GM's influence your potential trade policy, but I guess they are human too, still...
    Kahn is mad at the Pacers? What did he say?

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

I don't see the need to take back Nazr unless we send them Solo

Nzar has to be part of the trade with a 6.9 mil expiring, b/c the Pacers aren't going to take back Diaw or Diop's contract. The Pacers can't take back 2 players for 1 with having 15 players after adding all 3 rookies, unless they cut a player with an unguaranteed contract or cut Solo.

They could make an even player trade though.

Augustin.... 2.5 mil

Nzar.......... 6.9 mil

Ford..... 8.5 mil

Solo..... 1.5 mil
    Or
    McBob at $880,000 (Many will be against trading McBob.)

Or a 3 for 3 trade by the Pacers adding Rush and Charlotte adding Henderson. (I know many are against trading Rush.)

"If the Pacers are looking for a veteran PG", I don't see Charlotte trade happening. If they are looking to the future figuring they can find the future PG in Augustin, Price, or Stephenson, then maybe they make the trade.

There might be one other reason to do this trade and that is the Pacers aren't sure about injuries to Foster, Hansbrough, and Hibbert thus feeling Nzar would be necessary as a short term help with an expiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Kahn is mad at the Pacers? What did he say?
    Something to the effect that we kept calling trying to steal their good playerd by pawning off crap. Not a quote, but close.

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    If a team has a trade exception, do they have to use it all at once, or can they use part of it in one trade and part in another?

No, they don't have to use it all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    I should have read this before I posted in another thread. Bird wants a veteran PG. Some people are suggested DJ Augustin...how exactly is he a veteran? I'm not a fan of Augustin at all.

I'm not sure what's going to happen, but hopefully some rumors start coming up, cause I'm ready for the final roster to be set. So many moves have already been made, so I'm just antsy that the Pacers haven't done anything yet.
    I did not think Bird was a fan of DJ, thus we did not draft him. I also thought I remember ford or someone to the like saying this sometime bach in the season when responding to rumors. I thought Felton was more to Larry's liking.
    The only players on Cha I like for us are Chandler & Henderson. IMO we need to look for a PG elsewhere, but may be able to move TJ (+?) to Cha to clear a roster spot.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    Something to the effect that we kept calling trying to steal their good playerd by pawning off crap. Not a quote, but close.

Pretty accurate, but it's the way Kahn said it. How is it any different than him constantly trying to pawn off Jefferson to Dallas for Dampier?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Pretty accurate, but it's the way Kahn said it. How is it any different than him constantly trying to pawn off Jefferson to Dallas for Dampier?
    It's not.

Kahn....

Banned

We should try to make a trade with Toronto for Calderon now that we know that they are going to start the rebuilding process

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    We should try to make a trade with Toronto for Calderon now that we know that they are going to start the rebuilding process
    Did he get benched for Jack last year? I can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post

I'd rather have Jack at half the price!

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

While what one Laker fan on here said about Farmar not being afraid to bark at Phil Jackson makes me moderately uneasy, I'd still be fine with adding him if he's cheap. I think he still could be a good starter in this league. I just hope we're not bringing on board a jackass at the "leadership" position.

Or maybe we should just accept that we're in full-on rebuilding mode, give the ball to Lance, and let him learn on the job...? It would save us from having to give out yet another bad contract to yet another marginal short-term solution like Farmar, and then if Lance doesn't work out we could sign/draft a solid PG replacement next summer when we have the cap room and/or high draft pick available.

Just a thought.

Talent-wise, I don't think Farmar is either marginal or shot-term. I'm just worried about his attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Talent-wise, I don't think Farmar is either marginal or shot-term. I'm just worried about his attitude.
    Whether or not he'll be a quality starter in this league is really anyone's guess at this point. He's still an unproven commodity as far as I'm concerned, and do we really want to take that risk for the amount of $$$/years I'm guessing he's going to want?

We're jammed under a bunch of heavy contracts right now and I guess I'm just leery of us tossing another one on the pile.

Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    Or maybe we should just accept that we're in full-on rebuilding mode, give the ball to Lance, and let him learn on the job...? It would save us from having to give out yet another bad contract to yet another marginal short-term solution like Farmar, and then if Lance doesn't work out we could sign/draft a solid PG replacement next summer when we have the cap room and/or high draft pick available.

Just a thought.

I can see your thought, but Bird wants a vet PG. My guess, as usual, is the Pacers goal this season is to make the playoffs. Their thinking is using a rookie at PG isn't going to get them their goal of the playoffs. Personally, I wouldn't bet anything I couldn't afford to lose that with a veteran PG they will make the playoffs this year.