Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Can someone explain the NFL "franchise tag" and how it might work in the NBA?

  1. #1
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Can someone explain the NFL "franchise tag" and how it might work in the NBA?

    This was being discussed in another thread, and it made me want to learn more about it.

    As I understand it, in the NFL, you can apply the "franchise tag" to one of your players in an effort to keep him on your team.

    Can someone explain more of the basics of how this works?

    Can someone explain how it would/could/should work in the NBA to save small market teams from going through what Cleveland just went through?

  2. #2
    Member luis3ep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    247

    Default Re: Can someone explain the NFL "franchise tag" and how it might work in the NBA?

    when an NFL team applies a franchise tag on a player it means that they are giving the player a 1 year deal worth the average amount of money the top 5 players of that position are earning.. so if top 5 QB's average 10 million a year, the franchised QB will earn that amount..i believe.

  3. #3
    Member luis3ep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    247

    Default Re: Can someone explain the NFL "franchise tag" and how it might work in the NBA?

    oh yea, once u apply a franchise tag on a player, its hands off to other teams.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,604

    Default Re: Can someone explain the NFL "franchise tag" and how it might work in the NBA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This was being discussed in another thread, and it made me want to learn more about it.

    As I understand it, in the NFL, you can apply the "franchise tag" to one of your players in an effort to keep him on your team.

    Can someone explain more of the basics of how this works?

    Can someone explain how it would/could/should work in the NBA to save small market teams from going through what Cleveland just went through?
    in the NFL it is the average of the top 5% of players at your position or + 20% your current salary, whatever is highest. Its a one year distinction. If someone signs them to an offer sheet the other team would be owed 2 first round picks.

    IIRC....

  5. #5

    Default Re: Can someone explain the NFL "franchise tag" and how it might work in the NBA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ozwalt72 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    in the NFL it is the average of the top 5% of players at your position or + 20% your current salary, whatever is highest. Its a one year distinction. If someone signs them to an offer sheet the other team would be owed 2 first round picks.

    IIRC....
    Average of the top 5 highest paid players at the position (hence players like Terrell Suggs getting into fights about what position they play), not the top 5% - but you're right other than that. If you're in the top 5, you get 120% of your previous year's salary (which is what you mean when you say +20%, I believe).

    There are two types of franchise tags - exclusive and non-exclusive. Exclusive means you can't sign with other teams (and is the more expensive of the two tags in terms of guaranteed money). Non-exclusive means you can sign, but the tagging team has the right to match within a certain period of time. If they do not match, the new team must give up two 1st round picks (unless the teams work out a trade, which has happened).

    There is one other kind of tag - the transition tag. It's basically a glorified restricted free agent distinction. The player receives the average of the top 10 players at their position (or 120% of the previous year's salary if they're already in that grouping) and the original team reserves the right to match. If the original team does not match, there is no subsequent compensation (in terms of draft picks).

    NFL teams can use either tag in any given off-season but not both. The franchise tag is traditionally the tag used because the compensation that must be paid dissuades teams from signing players.

    Just for the sake of example, let's assume the NFL CBA is the same after the next off-season (it won't be) and Peyton Manning becomes a free agent (a new contract is likely soon). His current base salary is just over $14 million dollars (I'm ignoring anything but base salary here). If the Colts were to tag him, they would have to pay him 120% of $14 million for the following season. If they couldn't work out a deal again the following year, it would be 120% of the previous tag number, and so on because the figure compounds on a yearly basis.





    As far as the NBA, if they were to try something similar, I would imagine teams could only use a tag every 3 years (or at least not on a yearly basis) to ensure that player movement isn't heavily restricted. NFL teams can tag less than 2% of their roster (1 player) on a yearly basis. If an NBA team could tag even one player, you're talking about almost 7% of the roster (if that teams has 15 players). Maybe not a significant distinction, but a potentially important one. You could have 30 players removed from free agency indefinitely. Assuming all teams have 15 player rosters, you'd again have almost 7% of the league potentially permanently removed from free agency (same math as above - though I suck at math).

    I'd have a hard time believing that would be added/agreed to without some major revenue/player salary concessions by the owners.
    Last edited by btowncolt; 07-09-2010 at 04:38 PM.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btowncolt For This Useful Post:


  7. #6
    Member thewholefnshow31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,253

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Can someone explain the NFL "franchise tag" and how it might work in the NBA?

    Here you go Hicks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag

    Franchise tags are great for small market teams and the owners, but a lot of the times they just **** off the player because they are looking for the security of a long term contract with more guaranteed money. The teams can just keep on tagging every single year. That is what happened to Orlando Pace in St. Louis. They franchised him for what seemed like 3-4 years straight.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,604

    Default Re: Can someone explain the NFL "franchise tag" and how it might work in the NBA?

    Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Average of the top 5 highest paid players at the position (hence players like Terrell Suggs getting into fights about what position they play), not the top 5% - but you're right other than that. If you're in the top 5, you get 120% of your previous year's salary (which is what you mean when you say +20%, I believe).
    This. And I forgot the rest of the stuff, other than the transition tag. I've stayed away from the NFL after the Colts won it all. No interest in it anymore...

  9. #8
    The Ancient One woowoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    8
    Posts
    301

    Default Re: Can someone explain the NFL "franchise tag" and how it might work in the NBA?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag

    Plus there is a limit to the number of years an NFL team can "tag" a player, it is 2 or 3... I think 2.

  10. #9
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Can someone explain the NFL "franchise tag" and how it might work in the NBA?

    While it seems like adjustments to fit the CBA are certainly necessary, doesn't this sound like something (or something like it) that the NBA needs to add?

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,604

    Default Re: Can someone explain the NFL "franchise tag" and how it might work in the NBA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While it seems like adjustments to fit the CBA are certainly necessary, doesn't this sound like something (or something like it) that the NBA needs to add?
    Something similar maybe. The big deal is will the players let this be added. I feel that the NBA needs to establish the Team > The Players as teh lunatics are running the nuthouse.

    Maybe don't allow the tag to be used if you are over the luxary tax.

  12. #11
    The Ancient One woowoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    8
    Posts
    301

    Default Re: Can someone explain the NFL "franchise tag" and how it might work in the NBA?

    I do think something like this would be good for the NBA, it would allow small markets to keep their "studs" who want to leave and plan for their departure.

    When one looks at the NFL and the NBA it is easy to see why one flourishes and the other is struggling.

  13. #12
    The Ancient One woowoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    8
    Posts
    301

    Default Re: Can someone explain the NFL "franchise tag" and how it might work in the NBA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ozwalt72 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Something similar maybe. The big deal is will the players let this be added. I feel that the NBA needs to establish the Team > The Players as teh lunatics are running the nuthouse.

    Maybe don't allow the tag to be used if you are over the luxary tax.
    The players are not going to have much of a say on anything when the next CBA is negotiated. The owners are gearing up to hammer them good.

  14. #13
    Member crunk-juice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Purdue
    Posts
    1,291
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Can someone explain the NFL "franchise tag" and how it might work in the NBA?

    it would be harder to have proper compensation in the NBA for losing your franchise player. 1st round picks are far less valuable in this sport. i do think its a good idea though.

  15. #14

    Default Re: Can someone explain the NFL "franchise tag" and how it might work in the NBA?

    Quote Originally Posted by crunk-juice View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    it would be harder to have proper compensation in the NBA for losing your franchise player. 1st round picks are far less valuable in this sport. i do think its a good idea though.
    That's the crux of one of the counterarguments. Some teams would happily give up two 1st round picks for a good player. Low first round picks mean nothing to good teams.

    I would think you would need a system similar to what might happen in the event of a team contracting. Let's say the Lakers signed Danny Granger to a contract the Pacers wouldn't match. You could put a system in place where instead of two pointless first round picks the Lakers can protect 1 or 2 players on their roster, but the Pacers get to cherry pick any player they want not protected AND take a 1st round pick back AND the signing team loses the ability to use their tag for 4 years. Or maybe the top 10 payrolls can't sign anyone tagged. Put a little bite to the tag somehow.
    Last edited by btowncolt; 07-09-2010 at 05:05 PM.

  16. #15
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,207
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Can someone explain the NFL "franchise tag" and how it might work in the NBA?

    NBA players are never going to go for any system that doesn't provide long term stability. In order for them to allow it, a franchise tag would have to come with a three year guaranteed contract, not a one year, which is a possibility. There's no way they'd agree to one year.

  17. #16
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,748

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Can someone explain the NFL "franchise tag" and how it might work in the NBA?

    The reason that the franchise tag will never be accepted in the NBA, is because there are so few free agents, compared to football. It would literally kill any all-star from ever becoming a free agent. You'd have teams structuring contracts so their best players become free agents on different years.

    Even the NBA wouldn't want boring summers like that. You need to have player movement of some kind to get people talking.
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-09-2010 at 05:00 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  19. #17

    Default Re: Can someone explain the NFL "franchise tag" and how it might work in the NBA?

    Others have explained it very well so I'll skip that.

    A franchise tag would be great for small markets in the NBA if the penalties for signing with another franchise were severe enough. (draft picks, cap penalties, etc.) The problems, however, would be the amount of money that the top 5 players in the NBA are making. If there are five guys at one position on the back end of 6 year max deals, then continually signing a guy to 1 year $25mill (approx) could pose financial problems.

    I think the best thing the NBA could do to help small markets is implement a hard salary cap, similar to NFL, and eliminate the max individual salary. If teams are allowed to go over the cap, then small market teams will have to as well in order to be competitive. Likewise, if there is maximum amount that players can receive, then they will always seek it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •