Thread: To be great...

Default To be great...

"To be great is to be misunderstood." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

The way people are hating LeBron cracks me up. Kinda like how the general public often despises Jordan for being an a-hole. Time forgets those things, though.

If LeBron signed in Chicago, he had a chance to win multiple rings with a great squad and be a legend in Chicago twelve years after Michael won his last (just as Kobe won his first twelve years after Magic finished off his five).

If he chose Miami, he has a chance to be the best player on the best team that ever played basketball. Say what you want about Wade County, but LeBron is significantly better than Wade and that's what people will remember. LeBron acted in his best interest on every level, just as any NBA superstar should and would. Jordan needed Hall of Famers. Sure, LeBron could have won in Chicago, but Boozer won't make the Hall and neither will Noah. Time will tell on Rose. LeBron could have beaten the Heat with his Bulls, but he saw the rare opportunity to come together and compete not just with his contemporaries, but with the all-time great teams. It was an opportunity him, Wade and Bosh had to seize.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: To be great...

Cool. You couldn't have found one of the other 298484 Lebron James threads on the first page to post this on?

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

I don't blame him.

Heck, it makes no difference to me. I don't like LeBron. Never did. Nor am I a Cavs fan. But I do feel for Cleveland. I understand wanting to win, but copping out on that city was low.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No misunderstanding here.

Lebron turned himself into a comic book style villain with his public humiliation of Cleveland, and is being raked over the coals over it in the media. He is now possibly the single most polarizing athlete in the nation due to his arrogance, and I suspect that will hang with him for the remainder of his career, and possibly beyond.

Jordan was far more polished with his arrogance, and either had better handlers, or at least enough common sense to understand that his money ultimately came from the masses through merchandise sales and endorsements and therefore he was less condescending towards the fans who idolized him, while Lebron has yet to fully grasp that.

At this point, Kobe is a far better representative athlete for the NBA on the whole because he got far enough through his narcissicism a few years ago to become somewhat less loathed, and this will shift things even further in his favor. Yet, I still can't stand Kobe for the most part, but between the two, I would now, if pushed, actually root for Kobe. Of all things, now the Lakeshow may even be considered an underdog somehow despite being the defending champions, thereby increasing Kobe's national appeal a little more, and giving the NBA a new rivalry to promote and nurture (when Shaq and Wade were together, it didn't feel the same IMO).

Unless the Heat are as wildly successful as most believe they will be, I look for Wade to try to seperate himself from Lebron either by making things tough on him in the Miami local media due to Wade being a career member of the Heat, or simply requesting a trade, possibly in a year or two. Then, Miami will be South Cleveland on the court, with Lebron unable to attract other marquee talent to help him.

So, yeah, Lebron is great as an athlete, but he is also diminished due to his own arrogance.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Dude, he quoted RALPH WALDO EMERSON! Best thread ever on PD, ever. RWE was the John Wooden of our American literary heritage. (Whitman being the Jordan, and Dickinson the Bird.) Everything we say or believe as Americans is a mere footnote to that man's thinking. Full passage:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. 'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by quinnthology View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "To be great is to be misunderstood." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

The way people are hating LeBron cracks me up. Kinda like how the general public often despises Jordan for being an a-hole. Time forgets those things, though.
    Yeh, like it's more desirable to have your name in record books for all time than to be known as a decent human being by the people that lived with you and in your time.
    If that isn't a 2010 state of mind, I don't know what is.
    Sad but true.

He wimped out.
    He took the shortcut because it was the easy way.
    He showed his colors in the playoffs this year.
    He's a heart short of a champion. But with his talent and other superstars heart, he might just make it to the top.
    What a winner.

I'll quote Emmitt Smith. Y'all are makin' LeBron into an escape goat.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

"It is your choices that show who you truly are, far more than your abilities." -Dumbledore :P