Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Indy Star: Pacers After Peja

Default Indy Star: Pacers After Peja

Here is today's star article.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/6/168459-4016-179.html

Stojakovic appears good fit for Pacers
    Contracts of Kings' sharpshooter and Indiana's Artest would make for easy trade.

Peja Stojakovic is one of the league's best shooters with a .398 mark from 3-point range in six NBA seasons. -- Garrett Ellwood / Getty Images

Related content

• Message board
    • Ask the expert: Mark Montieth
    • More Pacers

By Mark Montieth
    mark.montieth@indystar.com
    August 7, 2004

The tremors from Sacramento Kings forward Peja Stojakovic's trade demand have rolled straight to Indiana, where he's already the focus of rampant speculation in a deal involving Ron Artest.

Stojakovic, the NBA's second-leading scorer last season with a 24.2 average, revealed Thursday he told the Kings on July 23 he wanted to be traded.

The Pacers qualify as a logical destination, given president Larry Bird's public admiration for Stojakovic and the fact his contract closely matches that of Artest.

Stojakovic's agent, David Bauman, told the Sacramento Bee that Bird had inquired about an Artest-Stojakovic deal in June. Friday, Bauman confirmed the Pacers' interest and Stojakovic's desire to leave the Kings.

"Larry Bird is a very tenacious general manager and he's going to do everything he can to make something happen," Bauman said in a telephone interview from Serbia and Montenegro, where Stojakovic has been making promotional appearances for the Serbian national team.

"I dealt with him in the draft. He's calling and pushing and coming up with ideas all the time."

Bauman said Stojakovic put his Sacramento home up for sale Friday and plans to reiterate his demand in a telephone conversation with Kings co-owner Joe Maloof tonight.

"They're going to realize Peja is deadset on this," Bauman said. "It's probably better to make the best trade you can make now.

"We're putting a ton of pressure on the Kings and the Kings' owners."

Bird and Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh were out of the office and unavailable for comment Friday. Artest and Kings general manager Geoff Petrie did not return calls.

Artest's agent, Mark Bartelstein, would not confirm trade discussions.

"I don't think there's anything imminent or anything like that," Bartelstein said.

A straight-up deal involving the two players would qualify under NBA salary cap rules because their salaries match closely enough, or the Pacers could include a minimum salary player. Stojakovic will be paid $6.875 million next season, while Artest will receive $6.2 million.

Artest played in the All-Star game and was named Defensive Player of the Year last season. He averaged 18.3 points during the regular season, but his production fell off sharply as the playoffs progressed. He averaged 14.5 points in the conference finals loss to Detroit, shooting .298 from the field and .194 from 3-point range.

Stojakovic played in the All-Star game for the third consecutive season and had a career-high regular-season scoring average, but also struggled in the postseason. He averaged 17.5 points in 12 playoff games, shooting .384 from the field and .315 from 3-point range. He hit 3-of-12 shots in the Kings' Game 7 loss to Minnesota and was criticized by the Sacramento media for becoming passive.

"I wasn't able to find my game the whole playoffs," he said.

Stojakovic's regular-season production fell off after Kings forward Chris Webber returned from a knee injury for the final 23 games. The lack of on-court chemistry between the two was exacerbated after Webber criticized the effort of some teammates after the Game 7 loss to Minnesota.

Stojakovic also is said to be upset by the loss of Kings center Vlade Divac, his closest friend on the team. Divac had been the Kings' most powerful locker room presence, a role Webber will likely inherit.

"Now that Vlade is gone, this team is going to take my tone," Webber said in an interview published in the Sacramento Bee on Sunday.

Asked what changes he'd like to see Kings management make in the offseason, Webber asked for a player fitting Artest's description.

"I'd just like to see an aggressive defender at the three (small forward) spot," he said.

Bird, meanwhile, has stated the Pacers need more scoring and improved outside shooting to take pressure off Jermaine O'Neal around the basket. Bird has called Stojakovic "the best shooter in the NBA by far."

Stojakovic, 27, has hit .398 from 3-point range and .885 from the foul line in his six NBA seasons.

Stojakovic, whose girlfriend is due to give birth to their first child Aug. 15, has not stated a preference to play for a specific team, but Bauman said he would be happy with a trade to the Pacers.

"He's looking for a team that's successful and has a chance to win," Bauman said. "We did look at Indiana and Indiana does fit his parameters."

sweabs

Default Re: Indy Star: Pacers After Peja

I was just about to post this article.

My thoughts =

Orginially I was against this but the more I think about it the more I think it could work out really well for the Pacers...

Where's Peck to remind everyone of his theory that Mark is the mouth-piece of the Pacers when I need him?

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well if the Star is speculating on it, then the chance of this happening must be relatively high.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Mood

We prayed for an interesting off-season, and for our sins we got one
    "He's a strong physical presence out there on both ends of the court. He's a man. There's a reason he was an All-Star." -- Vogel on David West

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it mildly amusing that Peja has already put his Sacramento home up for sale. I don't know why, but that made me chuckle. I guess it's because if that's not a fück you to the Kings, I don't know what is. He seems resolute in his decision to leave. Let's hope he doesn't develop a strange attachment to one of our aging players...like Reggie. He'll demand a trade after one season.

Dream Big

Please do not deal Artest

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Eventhough I don't like the thought of trading Ronnie at all, at least in this deal there is value comming back! It seems like Pacer Brass is bound and determined to make a change concerning Ron and in my mind this is one of the better deals that I have heard for Ron, that is possible.

So, if they make this deal... We will really get to see how flexible Rick Carlisle can be.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by bulletproof
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it just me, or does anyone else find it mildly amusing that Peja has already put his Sacramento home up for sale. I don't know why, but that made me chuckle. I guess it's because if that's not a fück you to the Kings, I don't know what is. He seems resolute in his decision to leave. Let's hope he doesn't develop a strange attachment to one of our aging players...like Reggie. He'll demand a trade after one season.
    Your not the only one BP,,, I guess they are not even going to give the Maloof's a chance to win him back.

Wait, did I just agree with bulletproof?

But in all seriousness... is Bird is trying to build a team like the Pacers of 2000? I've never seen much of Larry's Celtics...but let me guess...alot of outside shooting with one dominant post player?

Quote Originally Posted by ROCislandWarrior
    But in all seriousness... is Bird is trying to build a team like the Pacers of 2000? I've never seen much of Larry's Celtics...but let me guess...alot of outside shooting with one dominant post player?
    Kind of.

Kevin McHale & Robert Parish & Cedric Maxwell & Walton, not to mention Bird were all inside forces if you'd like to call them that.

Man, what is it with Larry trying to bring a championship to Sacramento?

They now have 2 of the 3 best players from Thomas' team, and all we'd get in return is Pollard and Peja?

This is disgusting.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Please do not deal Artest.Read my sig
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Go get Peja! I love Artest to death and I have a jersey of him lying around here, but Peja is THE best shooter in the game.

People say, what about on defense, and from what I've seen he's not the worst defender in the world, not even close, although I wouldn't say he's even average.

Here's a proposal I came up with on Real GM that worked perfectly.

Pacers trade: Artest, Pollard, Fred Jones
    Kings trade: Peja, and Doug Christie

I know what people will say. Don't trade Freddie, he'll gain more playing time if Ronnie is traded and I say that's crap. Ron played SF last year, and Freddie is 6'2'' if I remember correctly.

Doug Christie (Yes he has a ***** for a wife) can play 3 positions (None with his wife ) PG, SG, and SF plus he'd be a fairly good replacement for Ron on defense. Pollard gets another chance in Sacto, and the Peja and Ronnie parts are obvious for both teams.
    [edit=52=1091897388][/edit]
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Somebody please explain to me how we are a better team with Peja instead of Ron. Where is our post-up game outside of JO? Nobody. There would be way to much offensive front court pressure on JO to score-- and he would constantly be double-teamed. Also, where would our perimeter defense come from?

I just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanInAZ
    Go get Peja! I love Artest to death and I have a jersey of him lying around here, but Peja is THE best shooter in the game.

People say, what about on defense, and from what I've seen he's not the worst defender in the world, not even close, although I wouldn't say he's even average.

Here's a proposal I came up with on Real GM that worked perfectly.

Pacers trade: Artest, Pollard, Fred Jones
    Kings trade: Peja, and Doug Christie

I know what people will say. Don't trade Freddie, he'll gain more playing time if Ronnie is traded and I say that's crap. Ron played SF last year, and Freddie is 6'2'' if I remember correctly.

Doug Christie (Yes he has a ***** for a wife) can play 3 positions (None with his wife ) PG, SG, and SF plus he'd be a fairly good replacement for Ron on defense. Pollard gets another chance in Sacto, and the Peja and Ronnie parts are obvious for both teams.
    I actually like that trade.But I still don't want to trade Ronnie.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RSmits
    Somebody please explain to me how we are a better team with Peja instead of Ron. Where is our post-up game outside of JO? Nobody. There would be way to much offensive front court pressure on JO to score-- and he would constantly be double-teamed. Also, where would our perimeter defense come from?

I just don't get it.
    Give me the last championship team that had multiple GOOD, consistent post-up options.

Pistons (03-04) 0
    Spurs (02-03) 1
    Lakers (99-02) 1
    Spurs (98-99) 1
    Bulls (95-98) 0
    Rockets (93-95) 1
    Bulls (90-93) 0

That's since 1990, and who's in that list: Shaq, Duncan, and Hakeem.

The Pacers had too many players who posted up and that clogged up the lane. Part of that was resolved when Al was traded, but I still think having the 2 best players on a team be post up players is no good.

Yeah JO will be double-teamed, just like Shaq, Duncan, Hakeem, and that's why there's Peja, Reggie, S Jax, and Jamaal (When he's hot) to drain open three pointers.

I will give you perimiter defense though, but in my proposal Christie would help a little bit in that area.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Golgac
    The only thing that comes to mind is that defense wins championships.
    Defensive TEAMS win championships, defensive individuals don't automatically get that championship, and I feel that the team's defense while not quite as good as last years, which was near record breaking, it would still be well above average.

The pressure would be on Jackson, and Reggie more than Peja, as the SF's in the league aren't all that good.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Golgac
    Quote Originally Posted by RSmits

I just don't get it.
    Give me the last championship team that had multiple GOOD, consistent post-up options.

Pistons (03-04) 0
    Spurs (02-03) 1
    Lakers (99-02) 1
    Spurs (98-99) 1
    Bulls (95-98) 0
    Rockets (93-95) 1
    Bulls (90-93) 0

That's since 1990, and who's in that list: Shaq, Duncan, and Hakeem.

The Pacers had too many players who posted up and that clogged up the lane. Part of that was resolved when Al was traded, but I still think having the 2 best players on a team be post up players is no good.

Yeah JO will be double-teamed, just like Shaq, Duncan, Hakeem, and that's why there's Peja, Reggie, S Jax, and Jamaal (When he's hot) to drain open three pointers.

I will give you perimiter defense though, but in my proposal Christie would help a little bit in that area.

If you take Chicago out of your example its a completely different picture, especially since Jordan and Pippen in their heyday could play anywhere on the floor, including posting up.
    Yes there are players there that DO post up, like you said Jordan and Pippen, but they didn't thrive off that. They did post up for variety and to always put pressure on the defense, but their team wasn't directed around posting up.

The Pistons won the title this year, at least from the offensive end (Their defense was 99% of the reason why they won the title), off of Hamilton, and Billups being able to score tons, while everyone on the court could score when needed, but Sheed is hardly a consistent post-up player.

The only other player that's worthy of argument in this time period is David Robinson, but by the time he won his titles, he was mostly a defensive specialist.
    [edit=52=1091898606][/edit]

Quote Originally Posted by bulletproof
    No kidding!

During the season, we talk about "statement games". But that just topped any meaning of the word "statement" that I've ever encountered.

As you know, I would hate to see Artest traded.

But quite honestly, if her were traded for another "3", Peja is about the best and most equitable deal for Artest that I can think of.

It certainly changes the face of the team. Perhaps not worse, just different. More emphasis on outscoring the opponent as oppsed to preventing them from scroing as much as us.

One thing that getting Peja might do is to revive Reggie's offensive game. You put one bomber on one side of the court, with Reggie on the other and Reggie suddenly will get such wide-open shots that even in "defer mode" he will not refuse to take them.

Also, we will face no more zone defenses. And probably far fewer double teams on Jermaine.

I think Jermaine may fall from the ranks of the 20 and 10 performers. We will get more points from SF and SG, and fewer from Jermaine. Maybe 18 and 10.

If you've been right about Bird and Walsh wanting Artest gone, then this is the perfect trade. A better one may never present itsself, and one just as equitable probably wouldn't present itself until will not present itself NEXT summer.

If we are going to do, then let's get the Kings on board. Then I will change my handle to the "Anti-beast23". [Apologies to other Artest fans, but I am and always will be a Pacer fan first and a player's fan second.]

Can Peja play any D?I'm just asking I'm not trying to clown Peja.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions

Like someone said in another thread, we seem to be trading one weakness for another. If this trade goes through we are puny up front, which is not a good thing considering how much Detroit and Miami have bulked up. If we do this, there is no way we'll do any better than third in the east. If we hadn't already traded Al this might be a good trade, but now...

IndyToad
    It's been a while

Quote Originally Posted by indytoad
    Like someone said in another thread, we seem to be trading one weakness for another. If this trade goes through we are puny up front, which is not a good thing considering how much Detroit and Miami have bulked up. If we do this, there is no way we'll do any better than third in the east. If we hadn't already traded Al this might be a good trade, but now...

IndyToad
    It's been a while
    I agree.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions