Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would you rank the rookies in order of potential

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default How would you rank the rookies in order of potential

I was looking at the NBA.com rookie ladder (http://www.nba.com/rookieladder/) from the Orlando Summer League and they ranked Rolle 1st, George 2nd and Stephenson 3rd.

Made me think who will turn out to be the best player?

I'm thinking George has the highest potential, then Rolle and finally Stephenson.

Agree...? Disagree...?

Default Re: How would you rank the rookies in order of potential

I think George has the most potential...a 6'9" wing man that can shoot the 3
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

"We are hoarding potentials so great that they are just about unimaginable." - Jack Schwartz

"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential." - Winston Churchhill

"Potential means you haven't done anything yet." - Bill Parcells

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozwalt72 For This Useful Post:

The NBA ladder actually has it as Rolle first, Stephenson second, and George third.

But I'd say in this order:

George
    Stephenson
    Rolle

I like Rolle a lot, but feel he's very similar to Solo except a better offensive game. And he's significantly older than the other two.

Stephenson I think has a lot of potential, but I don't know he has the most.

If George works hard day in and day out, he could be a big time player.

1. Stephenson
    2. George
    3. Rolle

Although my money is on George to reach his full potential, I think that Lance's ceiling is a little higher.

1st - George - Oodles of physical ability, but he has a long way to go toward fulfilling it. He'll also have to develop more of a killer instinct.

2nd - Stephenson - He's ahead of George in his development right now, but he doesn't have the immense physical gifts. He still has a lot to learn about playing with other good players - it's something he's never really done.

3rd - Rolle - He does some nice things, but why didn't he dominate in college - he has the physical abilities.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:

i think none of the three is a dud which says alot for the two second rounders.

Hard work and desire will determine who will make it; everything else is just guess work.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

They all have great potential to warm the bench with Josh this year!
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Helmet For This Useful Post:

I really like Stephenson, just something about the way he plays that I think will translate to the NBA. Just hope he can keep his head together. Then George and Rolle.
    Good is the enemy of Great

We're changing the identity of our basketball team -- dramatically. We're a power post team -- a blood-and-guts, old-school, smash-mouth team that plays with size, strength, speed and athleticism. We attack the basket. . . . This is the new identity of our team. It was a great effort. I'm very proud of our guys."
    -- Frank Vogel.

I'd go with Stephenson, then George, and then Rolle. Or maybe ...

Mood

Regardless if it's just Summer League, but with Pacer's players rounding out the TOP 3 of rook's I would say it's a success regardless of the order they're in...just my two cents...

Hey...my first post I said I said I would never make.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flibertygibits For This Useful Post:

Based on Potential its easy. George, stephenson, rolle but, what I feel could happen is stephenson being a really good scorer like Jamal Crawford and average on D. George could be a top flight players but, could end up like Rush. With uneven performances and playing solid D. Rolle I think is a lock to be a the least a solid starter in his 3rd season. I think Rolle could be a allstar in 4 or 5yrs. George and stephenson could be allstars too but, this is just one pacers fan opinon.
    2012: Pacers return to glory

Paul George All Day

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers2012 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rolle I think is a lock to be a the least a solid starter in his 3rd season. I think Rolle could be a allstar in 4 or 5yrs.
    Wow, and mega wow.

A 25 year old rookie second round draft pick.

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    1st - George - Oodles of physical ability, but he has a long way to go toward fulfilling it. He'll also have to develop more of a killer instinct.

2nd - Stephenson - He's ahead of George in his development right now, but he doesn't have the immense physical gifts. He still has a lot to learn about playing with other good players - it's something he's never really done.

3rd - Rolle - He does some nice things, but why didn't he dominate in college - he has the physical abilities.
    Rolle has only been playin ball for 8yrs. He went LSU which is a good school but, they had tyrus thomas glen davis and a senior when rolle was there and he had only been playin for 4yrs. NBA scouts also made a note that Rolle's game is better fit for the NBA.

Paul George All Day

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwalt72 View Post
    Wow, and mega wow.

A 25 year old rookie second round draft pick.
    I like rolle alot. he's big, athletic like tyrus thomas and can shoot very well, rebound and block shots. He hasn't played ball that long. Obviously I am high on Rolle but, alot of people were very very high on stephenson after one game and Rolle has been awesome every game. the rookie ladder doesn't lie who the best players are

Paul George All Day

the rookie ladder doesn't lie who the best players are
    Ok. I hope you're right.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rolle I think is a lock to be a the least a solid starter in his 3rd season. I think Rolle could be a allstar in 4 or 5yrs.
    The best players in summer league are always the best players in real games.

Just ask these players who have been named to All-Summer League teams in the last 3 years: Travis Diener, Javale McGee, Anthony Randolph, Adam Morrison, Joey Dorsey, Austin Daye, Cartier Martin, DaJuan Summers, Gary Forbes, Othyus Jeffers, Quincy Douby, Earl Barron, Sean May, Antoine Wright, Aaron Miles, Marcus Williams, Josh Boone, J.R. Giddens, Kasib Powell, Nick Fazekas, D.J. White, Marreese Speights, Earl Calloway, Jaycee Carroll, Tyler Hansbrough, Chris Quinn, Hassan Adams, Jermareo Davidson, Kevin Kruger, Josh Davis, Ryan Hollins, Shawne Williams, Robert Hite, Stephen Graham, Andre Owens, Brandon Hunter, Marcus Slaughter.

All-Star for sure.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As for the o.p.:

It's the same order they were drafted.

George has the most room to grow but also needs to grow the most to be a contributor.

Stephenson is the most ready right but unless he can actually improve enough to play a consistent point he can't have the most potential. And I don't believe he can.

Rolle basically is where he'll be right now. He's a solid last big on the roster who will be in a suit most of the time his first year. He's Solomon Jones now. He'll be Solomon Jones going forward.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

George by a mile. He will be an all-star in 4 years and will surpass Granger. Granger is no slouch, but George has a real opportunity to be the best Pacer player in history. He has the length, athleticism, skills and defensive mentality to be a superstar.

Stephenson is a natural, instinctive ball player with good strength. He is very impressive physically for only a 19 year old. However, he will disappoint because he has no real position in the NBA. SG maybe, but he's not a great perimeter shooter. He's also not using his strength to his advantage on defense and I'm not sure that will change. He's not that terribly athletic so I don't see a great defensive player...ever. IMO, when the regular season starts you really need to ask yourself which position he will be playing. I don't think it can be PG...and I don't see a great SG there.

Rolle will be fortunate to be in the rotation. IMO, McBob is better and should be starting next to Roy unless Tyler is healthy. Tyler is also a lot better if he is healthy. Murphy and Foster will get the nod before Rolle as long as they are signed. Seriously, you will not see Rolle play if 3 of those guys are healthy and available.

Mood

I like rolle alot. he's big, athletic like tyrus thomas and can shoot very well, rebound and block shots. He hasn't played ball that long. Obviously I am high on Rolle but, alot of people were very very high on stephenson after one game and Rolle has been awesome every game. the rookie ladder doesn't lie who the best players are
    I like the optimism, but it is summer league. To my knowledge there is nothing scientific about the rookie ladder. I think it is best to wait and see what these guys can do against real competition provided they are given the opportunities to do so.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

I wonder what the guys on here will say about this that have been saying Rolle won't make the team.

As for ranking them on potential, it's impossible to tell how someone will turn out. It's like parents raising two boys the same way and one will turn out good and the other bad.

Plus, they won't all get the same opportunity's.

George being a wing will have to play shooting guard to get a good opportunity in as much as he won't take time away from Granger, and if Lance doesn't make it as a point guard they will be battling each other for time. Rolle will be behind a lot of vets.

Being rookie's a lot of their time will come when a vet gets injured, plus Lance seemed to be getting injured a lot in the summer league games himself.

Short term potential I would rank them this way.

Stephenson
    Rolle
    George

Long term potential, I would reverse the order, but I'm hoping Stephenson makes it as a point guard.

Guys, do you think we now have the 3 players that can compete with the Miami's big 3?

George - James
    Stephenson - Wade
    Rolle - Bosh

I'm just being crazy here.

Quote Originally Posted by 15th parallel View Post
    Guys, do you think we now have the 3 players that can compete with the Miami's big 3?

George - James
    Stephenson - Wade
    Rolle - Bosh

I'm just being crazy here.
    There's a chance they could in five years if they all reach their potential, and Wade and James were injured.

Mood

As others rank them I do too in their draft order.

Magnum Rolle appears to have a good all around game with limited upside. He appears to do everything well but stands out in nothing in other words a solid 10 year big off the bench.

Lance Stephenson has a solid offensive game, he appears a little slow to guard super quick little guards but the size to bully them on offense. I see a solid combo guard with potential to be a solid position defender and the size to handle shooting guards in the paint (in time).

I can envision him as a 14-17 ppg scorer in the future , who if he is willing to put in the effort could be a borderline All Star , he has a game which translates well to the NBA.

With Paul George , I'm willing to over look his poor shooting in the Summer League . He said his legs were dead and we know his shots were short a typical sign of a player who isn't using his legs in his shot.

He needs to tighten up his over dribbling but the player I saw a hint of in his total game was Scottie Pippen. A solid slasher , with range on his jumper and potential to be a stellar defender , getting into the passing lanes on defense . I was impressed in his ability to score as a slasher , using his length on the drive to either score or get fouled, his free throw shooting should be good for 6-8 points a game on a regular basis with time. He tends to fall away a little too much on his long jumper .

But based on the Summer League samples of the 3 it appears Larry Bird had a very solid draft. Getting 3 players who if they work hard could all have solid 8-12 year careers. Perhaps getting an All Star Paul George , a borderline All Star Lance Stephenson and a solid journeyman plus big in Magnum Rolle.

The fact Paul George and Lance Stephenson are so young 20 and 19 makes their (the dreaded word) potential something that will excite Pacer fans.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diamonddave00 For This Useful Post:

Banned

George may not have put up the stats but he was obviously head and shoulders above the other two athletically. The glimpses of what he CAN do were there. How fast he develops and where in the lineup he fits will determine how quickly he shows what he's got. His upside is large.
    Stephenson may the most ready to play right now, but I'm relatively certain that he just doesn't have the quickness to guard 1's. He appears heavy footed at times and does a lot of standing around on defense. He can score the ball in the paint, but once teams figure out he can't shoot from outside they'll play off him and he won't be able to do much when the real games start. He is a sneaky scorer and could make a niche as an off the bench 2 guard.
    He's like a lot of guys that pass through the league, ALL world against "average" competition, but just not quite gifted enough athletically to be able to do it against the best in the world on a regular basis.
    I like Rolle and I think he has pretty nice potential. More than McBob for sure. Solid 2 round pick. If he can focus on rebounding, he can be better than Solo this year. Got a nice jumper too. My eyes are still hurting from all the paint chipping off the rim from McBob's 3's.
    Last edited by MLB007; 07-10-2010 at 10:38 AM.