Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jermaine O'Neal to sign with Dallas Mavericks, Denver Nuggets or Boston Celtics [ESPN]

Member Il Ragionier Ugo Fantozzi's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Jermaine O'Neal to sign with Dallas Mavericks, Denver Nuggets or Boston Celtics [ESPN]

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...e=NBAHeadlines

O'Neal's faves: Mavs, Nuggets, Celtics

Free-agent center Jermaine O'Neal said Wednesday that he expects to sign with one of the three following teams in coming days: Dallas, Denver or Boston.

O'Neal
    "Those are my favorites," O'Neal told ESPN.com "Those are teams that are going to compete [for a championship] next year."

O'Neal said he's still deliberating between the three teams -- all believed to be offering a portion of the mid-level exception to sign him -- and called the decision perhaps "the most important of my career because I know this is kind of my last run at it" in terms of title-chasing.

O'Neal averaged 13.6 points, 6.9 rebounds and 28.6 minutes in 70 games last season for the Heat, who are expected to renounce their rights to the former All-Star as part of the cap space-clearing exercise required to create sufficient cap room for the incoming Chris Bosh alongside a re-signed Dwyane Wade and Miami's other free-agent targets.

All three O'Neal suitors are searching for frontcourt depth.

Boston is expected to start the season without the injured Kendrick Perkins; Denver's Kenyon Martin and Chris Andersen are likewise recovering from injuries; and Dallas faces a potential void at center amid uncertainty about its ability to re-sign Brendan Haywood and with the Mavericks actively shopping Erick Dampier's non-guaranteed $13 million contract for an impact player.

O'Neal, 31, is an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his career and had his best years in Indiana under Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle before persistent knee trouble derailed him.
    Oldness comes with a smile
    To every love given child
    Oldness comes to rile
    The youth who dream suicide

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal to sign with Dallas Mavericks, Denver Nuggets or Boston Celtics [ESPN]

How the mighty have fallen.

Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal to sign with Dallas Mavericks, Denver Nuggets or Boston Celtics [ESPN]

For his knee's sake, let's hope he doesn't jump around celebrating.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to btowncolt For This Useful Post:

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

I would like to see him go to the Mavericks. I don't really think Boston is the team for him being as they already have KG, Big Baby, Shelden Williams, Perkins, and possibly Rasheed still (I've heard he might not be retiring after all) as their frontcourt players. I really don't want to see him go to the Nuggets as he doesn't need to retire being known as a "thug" again by playing with the "Thuggets" lol. I think the Mavericks would be a nice fit, though. Along with him, they'd have several other longtime veterans on the team that are still looking for a championship ring (specifically--Dirk & Kidd). I believe that JO would be a nice player off the bench for them, coming in for Dirk or Haywood (he can play both the 4 and the 5). I'm assuming Haywood is not a free-agent, correct? Anyway, I do believe JO would fit in best in Dallas and yes, I am a very big JO fan.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ChristianDudley For This Useful Post:

"I'm your huckleberry"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Go away, JO. I hate you.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Where will he dominate the paint next?

Will Carlisle run 30% of the offense through JO?

Will JO be able to run the floor for the Nuggets at altitude?

Will Boston ever end up with an inside presence with good knees in the next three years?

The only of these questions that requires answering is the one about Carlisle. I doubt either of the other teams would have much interest with JO's history.

Wait THIS is his last run?

:yawn:
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    :yawn:
    Thanks

He's still only 31... I'm sure he can still help some teams, all depends on how much they pay him if he's worth it...

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

If he can just get back to dominating again...........
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

I really liked JO when he was here and healthy. Loved watching him dunk on guys in the post. I really miss that! Now it is rare to see a dunk by a pacer. I hope he goes to Dallas and plays well!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to will567 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt View Post
    Thanks
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by GO!!!!! View Post
    He's still only 31... I'm sure he can still help some teams, all depends on how much they pay him if he's worth it...
    JONeal's 31 with the heavy mileage on his bionic repaired knees and legs. He might as well be 34 years old. IMHO...he should go to Denver. They have enough rotational Centers to allow JONeal to be a PF instead of a Center.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

for some reason my memory is telling me that Carlisle and JO were not on the best terms even though Carlisle did his best to feed him the ball...don't think that would be a happy couple again...no?

Like him or not, hate him or not, for a portion of the MLE, he's a pretty good value as the first big man off the bench for a contending team.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

He should go to Boston. that is what i would do but, i have a feeling he will end up with the mavs
    2012: Pacers return to glory

Paul George All Day

Between another season of Rasheed Wallace or a season (however long that may be) of Jermaine O'Neal, which is the better choice for the Celtics? I don't watch enough of either gent to tell.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Between another season of Rasheed Wallace or a season (however long that may be) of Jermaine O'Neal, which is the better choice for the Celtics? I don't watch enough of either gent to tell.
    JONeal if he can be had for cheap and for however long KG is there. IMHO....JONeal is a small "step up" from being a "warm body" to throw against Gasol/Bynum/Dwight/etc. But he's no long-term answer...a healthy Kendrick Perkins is.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I know I'm in the minority here, but I like JO, watching him become a star for us was a delight. Sure he was involved in the brawl but not nearly as bad as Artest or Jackson and he was a good guy off the court too. He tried to bulk up and his body wouldn't allow it and his knees suffered. My one pair of the JO7's were the best shoes I ever owned and I still have his Pacers jersey hanging in my closet. For the most part JO was pretty damn good for the Pacers.

I think he will end up on the Mavs, seems like a good fit for him and a bargain for the Mavs.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianDudley View Post

I'm assuming Haywood is not a free-agent, correct?

You shouldn't assume. Haywood is a FA.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    I know I'm in the minority here, but I like JO, watching him become a star for us was a delight. Sure he was involved in the brawl but not nearly as bad as Artest or Jackson and he was a good guy off the court too. He tried to bulk up and his body wouldn't allow it and his knees suffered. My one pair of the JO7's were the best shoes I ever owned and I still have his Pacers jersey hanging in my closet. For the most part JO was pretty damn good for the Pacers.

I think he will end up on the Mavs, seems like a good fit for him and a bargain for the Mavs.
    Yeah I love him too. Seeing him like this hurts..badly..

By the time he played for us, he was one of the most underrated players but now he ended up being a MLE player and they call him "overrated". God, I hate when this happens.

I think even Jermaine or Shaquille O'Neal would do very well with Dallas.

They're in need of a center.

Mood

I'd like to see him sign with Dallas or Boston, either one. I still like JO and hope he gets a shot at a ring. Say what you will about his ego and "dominating again" and whatever, but he was a darn good ball player for us and the brawl cost him the best shot at a ring he had. He couldn't control the knee trouble, but we still demonize him for that (more so his continuing contract after the injuries). He gave us a lot of good basketball and effort and was always a good guy in the community. I wish him well.

--pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Mood

I understand why Indiana fans could be frustrated with JO. He signs a huge contract, always talks big before the year, gets hurt and we fizzled out. That was our season for about 3 straight years with him as the leader.

That said, no one put a gun to Donnie's head and made him give JO that deal, and JO would have been crazy to not sign. Truth be told in his prime JO was never worth 20 million per year and Donnie overestimated his abilities.

JO didn't commit crimes, was a solid citizen, and he truly cared IMO. It is not his fault he was overpayed. I am willing to let bygones be bygones and root for the guy while he isn't playing against Indy. Now Tinsley and Jackson, that is another story.